NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Dead Dog
RR Diner Member

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by Dead Dog »

There should be an opening sequence. It's Twin Peaks.
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

I think the credits are, ultimately, a function of what they want to say with these new episodes. Do they want to evoke nostalgia? An updated version of the old opening would serve that purpose. Or do they want to shatter nostalgia? That would be best conveyed through a wholly different set of music and visuals. Maybe they want to emphasise this "it's one long movie" deal to the point of only having the opening sequence once in the first episode. Maybe they don't. If the story is an "odyssey back to Twin Peaks", maybe the opening will emphasise travel instead of static locations. Etc. I think all these options and many more are possible. Without knowing what their priorities are, it's hard to say which ones are more likely.

I've also been wondering if a cast this big is even gonna have "regulars". Who's gonna be listed up front, aside from MacLachlan?
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
kitty666cats
RR Diner Member

Post by kitty666cats »

laughingpinecone wrote:I think the credits are, ultimately, a function of what they want to say with these new episodes. Do they want to evoke nostalgia? An updated version of the old opening would serve that purpose. Or do they want to shatter nostalgia? That would be best conveyed through a wholly different set of music and visuals. Maybe they want to emphasise this "it's one long movie" deal to the point of only having the opening sequence once in the first episode. Maybe they don't. If the story is an "odyssey back to Twin Peaks", maybe the opening will emphasise travel instead of static locations. Etc. I think all these options and many more are possible. Without knowing what their priorities are, it's hard to say which ones are more likely.

I've also been wondering if a cast this big is even gonna have "regulars". Who's gonna be listed up front, aside from MacLachlan?
Naomi Watts, apparently... right? I forget where we all read that supposed information, it was a while back.
djerdap
RR Diner Member

Post by djerdap »

Among the many mistakes done by the recent X-Files revival, keeping the 90s opening credits was one that pretty much symbolized a lot that went wrong with it (same, dated show structure without any regards to the development of two main characters).

I hope this Twin Peaks is completely new, credits (or the lack thereof) included.
https://thirtythreexthree.wordpress.com/ - 33x3: 33 favourite films by 33 directors, 33 favourite books by 33 authors, 33 favourite albums by 33 musicians and 3 favourite TV series
Dead Dog
RR Diner Member

Post by Dead Dog »

The opening credits would be there to set a mood, create an atmosphere. I'm as tired of credit sequences as anyone, it's one area that I think modern films are actually superior, as most movies don't need them. However, they served an important role in the original series by helping transport us into that world and I think they'd be there this time to function in the same way. I predict that there will be an opening credit sequence of some type and that it will serve a purpose, unlike the overwrought and boring sequences of current hits like Game of Thrones or True Detective.
NightTimeMyTime
Roadhouse Member

Post by NightTimeMyTime »

Earlier, I speculated about the opening credits to be visible over the opening scene/sequence of each episode. No repeating credits sequence whatsoever. A unique one for every episode with handpicked music or backgrund sound based on the first scene/sequence. I flushed that speculation down the toilet when I realised Lynch weren't sure on which spots each episode were going to begin on and based on that, he and Deming wouldn't have shot takes formed for that kind of title-friendly openng structure. And he wouldn't want the opening credits to distract the actions of each opening scene, so this leaves it to the other options; a special repeated opening credits sequence - long or short, separate from each episode's content, a title simply stating "Twin Peaks" before each episode or something), or no credits at all before each episode and credits at the end only.
laughingpinecone wrote:I've also been wondering if a cast this big is even gonna have "regulars". Who's gonna be listed up front, aside from MacLachlan?
Good point. As every episode are more free form, maybe Lynch/Frost doesn't even want to spoil which actors the series will headline overall time? Only credit each episode with it's uniqe cast list at the end in order of participated time. Wouldn't that be the best way for a project like this, this time?
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

???
CVevgh3_.jpg
CVevgh3_.jpg (173.7 KiB) Viewed 9097 times
-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
Dead Dog
RR Diner Member

Post by Dead Dog »

Interesting. Admittedly, I'll be disappointed if she doesn't show up in some capacity, even though it sure seemed like she kicked the bucket in the bank vault blast. Maybe she is just upset about how small her role is? I honestly don't follow her or MJA's shenanigans too closely, so I'm not real sure what her perceived beef with the production is.
FauxOwl
RR Diner Member

Post by FauxOwl »

I think a title sequence can function to set the tone establishing how the town has changed. The sawmill probably doesn't exist as it did in the 90's. Something with the same music but the subtle or not so subtle changes to the old landmarks could be quite evocative. The pilot had an extended title sequence so I could see them doing something similar, a long title for the first episode and shorter ones for the rest.

I applaud the change in the spoiler policy BTW. I was disappointed that the spoiler thread became the central hub of activity in this forum which did seem to me disrespectful to Lynch and Frost who obviously take great pains to avoid leaking spoilers. Better late than never and this is the only way to truly pay the writers due respect.
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

Dead Dog wrote:Interesting. Admittedly, I'll be disappointed if she doesn't show up in some capacity, even though it sure seemed like she kicked the bucket in the bank vault blast. Maybe she is just upset about how small her role is? I honestly don't follow her or MJA's shenanigans too closely, so I'm not real sure what her perceived beef with the production is.
I mainly put it here to draw attention to it in the hopes that somebody knows what she means by this. It could be interpreted many ways. Her social media form is very headache inducing.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
saygoodbyetojack
Roadhouse Member

Post by saygoodbyetojack »

Mordeen wrote:
Dead Dog wrote:Interesting. Admittedly, I'll be disappointed if she doesn't show up in some capacity, even though it sure seemed like she kicked the bucket in the bank vault blast. Maybe she is just upset about how small her role is? I honestly don't follow her or MJA's shenanigans too closely, so I'm not real sure what her perceived beef with the production is.
I mainly put it here to draw attention to it in the hopes that somebody knows what she means by this. It could be interpreted many ways. Her social media form is very headache inducing.

-Mordeen

I just took it to be another nod to how much the character means to her, sharing a pic stating how much Audrey means to another major character etc

Just saw your tweet to Ray Wise by the way. Absolutely brilliant ha ha
FauxOwl
RR Diner Member

Post by FauxOwl »

I remember seeing an interview with her after her social media complaints accusing Lynch and Frost of sexism where she was very positive about Twin Peaks and once again praising David Lynch. I'm not trying to psychoanalyze her as I'm hardly qualified but given the wild shifts in tone, she's probably very moody, which is human, and unfortunately social media tends to be a vehicle for some to vent during their most volatile states of mind . I wouldn't take it too seriously or judge her too harshly. We all know people with volatile emotions, and often those who have volatile emotions are the first to criticize celebrities of various degrees when they vent on social media.
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

Mordeen wrote:

-Mordeen
She regularly posts shippy stuff, nothing new under the sun? Mostly retweets, but not only. People rush to reply that Coop and Audrey should've been together forever and ever, rinse, repeat. I doubt it means Audrey is absent(/got cut) or anything like that.
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

saygoodbyetojack wrote:
Mordeen wrote:

-Mordeen

I just took it to be another nod to how much the character means to her, sharing a pic stating how much Audrey means to another major character etc

Just saw your tweet to Ray Wise by the way. Absolutely brilliant ha ha
Would be cool if he used it!

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
FormicaTable
Roadhouse Member

Post by FormicaTable »

Not really sure why people follow Sherilyn Fenn on social media, much less give her posts much credence. She is clearly bonkers. I followed her briefly on Instagram and it was headache inducing.

On a related bonkers social media note, anyone know what happened to Little Mike on Facebook? His page seems to have vanished. At least I think it has. The only Michael J Anderson I see on there now has a very stripped down page, so either it's him and he deleted most of his previous posts, or he dropped his account. While I don't take pleasure in seeing anyone's mental demise, I have to admit that his posts were morbidly fascinating.