NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Re: NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

Post by dronerstone »

Therefore I believe we should drop all expectations and head in from a naive point. If we hold on to that, no one shall be disappointed. It is Lynch after all. :D
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

Soolsma wrote:I feel like at least some part of all the hardcore fans on here (maybe myself included) are going to be disappointed with S3 when it's finally here.

Don't get me wrong, I'm expecting it to be grand, but that's how things usually go with continuations and reboots.

I know, I know, it's not a reboot
Yeah... Boring Gaming Anecdotes, Part 2: my fave series ended (let's put it like that for simplicity's sake) on an episode that appears to have a lot in common with season 3: huge timeskip, change in tone, flipping previous symbolism on its head, artistic vision pursued regardless of what the fans might have wanted. It came out ten years after the first installment. I played them late, all in a row, so I didn't have time to let the old views settle in: I accepted the twists as they came and loved them all, especially that final episode, bold and overambitious and blindingly out of left field as it was. And I KNOW that if I'd been following that series since the beginning, I'd have been part of the corner of fandom that whined about the changes instead. I have since tried to keep this in mind when approaching this kind of stuff, to let it be what it is, to shed my previous thoughts, to digest it a little before finalizing an opinion (...I still hate about 85% of continuations and 95% of reboots with a burning passion, fwiw :lol: )

Also worth noting that we're not gonna experience the thing all at once. Elements that may feel wildly out of place in the first episode will probably get more context later on and feel like a more organic part of the whole. I'll be doing my best to try not to jump to conclusions...
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
SpookyDollhouse
RR Diner Member

Post by SpookyDollhouse »

This is a David Lynch production, leave your worries of disappointment in the void. 8)
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

If you go in with preconceived notions and specific expectations, then yes there is a good chance you might get disappointed.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
Major Briggs
RR Diner Member

Post by Major Briggs »

This "Lynch is directing and Lynch never fails" line of thought is pretty lame
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Major Briggs wrote:This "Lynch is directing and Lynch never fails" line of thought is pretty lame
Well actually he's pretty much 9 for 9 in the movie dept where he has had creative control (although it took a couple of decades for the critics acknowledge FWWM is a good movie).

Lynch's television career may be a bit more mixed, depending on how one grades On The Air and Hotel. However every single Twin Peaks episode he directed was excellent, so people have every right to expect a quality show.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Major Briggs
RR Diner Member

Post by Major Briggs »

mtwentz wrote:
Major Briggs wrote:This "Lynch is directing and Lynch never fails" line of thought is pretty lame
Well actually he's pretty much 9 for 9 in the movie dept where he has had creative control (although it took a couple of decades for the critics acknowledge FWWM is a good movie).

Lynch's television career may be a bit more mixed, depending on how one grades On The Air and Hotel. However every single Twin Peaks episode he directed was excellent, so people have every right to expect a quality show.
Yes, of course one can raise expectations. But assuming it's gonna be good simply because he's on the wheels is just fanboyism and low critic sense
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Panapaok wrote:If you go in with preconceived notions and specific expectations, then yes there is a good chance you might get disappointed.
This is pretty much what I tell any friend before showing them something by Lynch.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
mtsi
RR Diner Member

Post by mtsi »

I couldn't agree more. To think he's this perfect, impenetrable, director (writer, editor, etc) is ludicrous. That's fan boy talk.

He's an amazing artist. He is unique. He creators incredible pieces. He has flubbed big time as well. Art is art to the creator and beholder. To assume anyone is 100% on any scale is foolish.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
We live inside a dream.
Dead Dog
RR Diner Member

Post by Dead Dog »

Expectations can be a terrible thing, especially with a long wait like this, where we've all written parts of season theee in our minds. I try to really limit how much I think about it. I check in here daily and love reading others' thoughts, but spend very little time actually trying to predict what will happen, or developing my own framework for what I think should happen. I hope that will help deal with those inevitable situations where something doesn't align with my expectations.
SpookyDollhouse
RR Diner Member

Post by SpookyDollhouse »

I didn't imply David Lynch is perfect, if that's even an objectively quantifiable thing. If you've really enjoyed his work at all you'll probably enjoy it. That's all I meant by my comment. Sorry I said anything, I'll stay away and let y'all go back and forth with the never-ending negative nancy schtick.
mtsi
RR Diner Member

NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

Post by mtsi »

SpookyDollhouse wrote:I didn't imply David Lynch is perfect, if that's even an objectively quantifiable thing. If you've really enjoyed his work at all you'll probably enjoy it. That's all I meant by my comment. Sorry I said anything, I'll stay away and let y'all go back and forth with the never-ending negative nancy schtick.
I didn't imply that either. Don't take any thoughts or comments personally. They aren't necessarily directed at you. Just my thoughts ...like yours. Don't stay away either. Without commentary, what's the point? Right?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
We live inside a dream.
NormoftheAndes
RR Diner Member

Post by NormoftheAndes »

David Lynch is a great director, people can agree on that. But this new show isn't going to be solely his work. You'll have to bring to task Mark Frost, all of the editors, Peter Deming, the actors, Badalamenti and so on if it isn't something you really like. Lynch is a DIRECTOR - this does not mean he is the God of the production.
Teetotaling and prayer. Their hands touch yours and mine.
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

I'm trying to think of this as just more Lynch material. It has been so long since Inland Empire, that I would be excited about any new major Lynch film/TV. To me, this is more likely to be a continuation of his last films (in style) than the original series which is now so old. I expect that it will look like Mulholland Drive (rather than Inland Empire).
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

I think we'll all react to S3 differently. Just like we all feel about the original differently. TP is very personal for all of us. Especially after living with the prospects of what might come next for 25 years. I do think it's best not to go in with too many preconceived ideas. But having Lynch and Frost controlling this gives us the absolute best shot of giving us something amazing. Whether it be what we may expect or not.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/