Recommendations for Watching While Waiting for Season 3

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Ghoul

Re: Recommendations for Watching While Waiting for Season 3

Post by Ghoul »

To summarize our discussion from my point of view: if anyone didn't see either of the movies and is planning to, please, for your sake, see the original. You can easily skip the remake and you won't be missing anything worth mentioning. Oh, and one other thing: the original ending is sort of the point of the whole film - if you change it, you loose pretty much everything that came before. Don't worry, when you see the film, you'll know what I'm talking about.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

Ghoul wrote:To summarize our discussion...
Ghoul wrote:if anyone didn't see either of the movies and is planning to, please, see the original
That I can agree
sneakydave
RR Diner Member

Post by sneakydave »

Clueless wrote:
FauxOwl wrote:Much of the reaction to last nights episode of Mr. Robot has referenced David Lynch. Indeed I thought it was one of the more genuinely Lynchian Lynch homages, particularly because of the sound.
Yeah Esmail has named Twin Peaks and Lynch as a major influence in one of his recent interviews. And I agree, the show's exquisite attention to sound design really ups the Lynch factor where most fall flat.
Can anyone answer a question for me? I noticed this in season 2 a couple of times. On the wall outside Elliot's sister's apartment, does it say The Owls Are Not What They Seem? You never see the full quote but you definitely see the middle section of the quote.

Given how Lynchian i found a lot of the show, I thought this was the ultimate homage.
*M*A*Y*D*A*Y*
FauxOwl
RR Diner Member

Post by FauxOwl »

sneakydave, I didn't notice that, and I don't believe anyone on Reddit picked it up if it's there.... Reddit posters have a way of picking every detail in shows like this clean. I have no doubt Reddit posters will give this forum a run for its money hyper-analyzing the new season of Twin Peaks.

Speaking of the thread topic, I just did a search on this thread and saw David Locke was the only one to mention "Rectify". It is absolutely one of the best shows on television right now. While it's very different tonally than Twin Peaks, there are some connections in that it deals with a murder of a teenage girl that deeply affects a small town community. There is a mystery surrounding the murder but it's secondary to the characters dealing with the tragedy and trauma surrounding the event. It's in it's final season now and so far it looks like it's going out on a high note, though the show has been pretty consistently excellent from the start.
Ghoul

Post by Ghoul »

LOL!
sneakydave
RR Diner Member

Post by sneakydave »

FauxOwl wrote:sneakydave, I didn't notice that, and I don't believe anyone on Reddit picked it up if it's there.... Reddit posters have a way of picking every detail in shows like this clean.
I need to get a screen grab of it. It was in at least two episodes of season 2. Not the whole quote but enough to be sure that's what they were going for.
*M*A*Y*D*A*Y*
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

I'm really intrigued to see the remake of The Vanishing now. Does anyone know if the director actually wanted the ending or whether he simply bowed to studio pressure? It might, of course, be both, particularly if he was a newcomer wanting to establish a career.

Come to think of it, are there any other cases of directors remaking their own films? I imagine it's actually quite cool to study and think about the differences. I can't quite remember, but didn't Hitchhcock make The Man Who Knew Too Much twice?

Anyways, tonights viewing is even more exciting. A friend who has never seen Twin Peaks is coming round to watch.......Twin Peaks!!!!!!

Add very large amounts of curry, and you have a quality night in.
djerdap
RR Diner Member

Post by djerdap »

Michael Haneke did Funny Games twice.
https://thirtythreexthree.wordpress.com/ - 33x3: 33 favourite films by 33 directors, 33 favourite books by 33 authors, 33 favourite albums by 33 musicians and 3 favourite TV series
sneakydave
RR Diner Member

Post by sneakydave »

Takashi Shimizu did the remake of The Grudge after doing the original.
*M*A*Y*D*A*Y*
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Ole Bornedal did Nightwatch twice
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

Cool. I might have a film festival in my house featuring double bills of remakes :-)
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

baxter wrote:I'm really intrigued to see the remake of The Vanishing now. Does anyone know if the director actually wanted the ending or whether he simply bowed to studio pressure? It might, of course, be both, particularly if he was a newcomer wanting to establish a career.
No, it was his idea from the beginning. Todd Graff's screenplay always had the 'happy ending'. Sluizer said in an interview he didn't feel like doing the exact same movie twice. He preferred to make two variations of the same tale. And he thought the remake ending would suit the average american audience better.

All this talk about the Vanishing is making my hand itch. Now I want to make a fanedit of the remake transforming the 'happy ending' into the original ending :lol:
FauxOwl
RR Diner Member

Post by FauxOwl »

Michael Mann essentially remade "L.A. Takedown" as "Heat"... or perhaps more accurately he previously tried to convert his script for "Heat" into a television pilot which wasn't picked up and released as the standalone film "L.A. Takedown", before returning to the original script for "Heat". He also did the movie version of "Miami Vice", a show he produced even if he wasn't necessarily the lead creative.
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

Do it Agent Sam Stanley!!! Then I can watch all three :-)

I've realised I might know another remake actually. Wasn't Basic Instinct a virtual remake of one of Paul Verhoeven's Dutch films? My brother has an excellent box set of those, but he learnt Dutch whilst living in Amsterdam and hence isn't bothered by the lack of subtitles.
tmurry
Roadhouse Member

Post by tmurry »

I disagree that Westworld is nothing like Twin Peaks - there were broad and minute things that kept evoking TP to me. Light spoilers (maybe) for anyone not caught up. There is a search for a Native American old place where one crosses into another realm where you are tested. The specific language "between two worlds" is said in association with a character referred to as a magician. The scene where they find a thing in the hand of the AI is reminiscent of Sam and Coop finding the letters under the dead girls' fingernails (the shots are similar, though although the effect of the device is more like the ring). Many of the hosts (especially the original father and the little girl) channel something from the other place, and there is a lot of the acting evokes the same "not quite here" vibe. Ford is playing a Whyndham Earle like game that involves finding the maze/lodge. There are subliminal overlays including the way the center is safe, but if your passions take you outside town, the danger increases, and getting close to this "other thing" drives the hosts mad, and gives them wired ticks. There are shared themes of recurrence and sacrifice of the innocent at the altar of civilization. Sure, there is a lot that is not like TP at all but the idea of some dangerous "other" that involves understanding that surpasses what humans can tolerate, sought by the bad man and inexorably drawing in the pure man to the secret ancient place of legendary trials seems like a big similarity.

I'd mention HBO's Big Love, which happens to have Grace Zabriski and Harry Dean Stanton throughout (and Laura Dern's Dad, and Amanda Seyfried if you want to look ahead to the new show), which had all kinds of Twin Peaks grooves, but especially anytime they go to Mexico or meet the "family" from mexico, who seem like stock Lynch characters. Mostly not like Twin Peaks but good nonetheless.

I'm not an anime guy but Satoshi Kon movies, especially Perfect Blue and Millenium Actress, evoke Lynch hard. In fact, there is a lot of Lynchian anime out there like Paranoia Agent, Lain, and even 5 cm Per Second and Summer Wars a little, but that's selection bias on my part since "it reminds me of David Lynch" is the only thing that gets me to watch anime.

Also, movies by Tarkovsky (Solaris and Stalker esp) and Kieslowski (Blue and Decalogue esp) give me the feels, and people already mentioned Hanake's Cache. I'll also ditto Hannibal and Mr. Robot as more "painterly" shows that evoke Lynch. Still like Jacob's Ladder and Angel Heart, and, you know, Vanilla Sky is actually pretty good.