The Secret History of Twin Peaks

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

LurkerAtTheThreshold
RR Diner Member

Re: SPOILERS: The Secret History of Twin Peaks

Post by LurkerAtTheThreshold »

THE CASE FOR HIDDEN CLUES IN THE DOSSIER
Part 2:

Hope i'm not spamming you guys. Just got a backlog of ideas from reading all of your insightfull posts.

So the typewriter discrepancy I believe is the first piece of misinformation which can be confidently thought of as a ‘clue’ rather than a suspected discrepancy.

In itself this clue raises many confusing questions, and I think that we have to accept, that starting ourselves on the trail, we are opening ourself to insoluble puzzles which may not even make sense until Season 3 begins. Or ends. Maybe not even then. How could Tamara Preston identify coopers typewriter as a Vintage Underwood and not notice the mistake of the archivist’s falsely claimed Corona? Either she is stupid or somehow complicit. Then there is the theory that evil coop or Windom Earle have tampered with the dossier, which seems like a reasonable assumption, but as to how or for what reason it seems impossible to decipher right now.

Here is another train of thought however.
Someone mentioned that the letter under Teresa Banks finger nail was stated in the series as made by a Corona typewriter (Can anyone fact check this?). Does that mean someone is trying to frame the archivist? Suppose this typewriter mystery is not only related to the creator of the dossier, but tied to the serial killings at the heart of the Twin Peaks mystery? It’s not too far fetched really. Think about it. Fire Walk with me revealed the killer of Theresa and Laura to be Leland possessed by Bob. We know that Mark Frost and David Lynch always rued ending the central mystery. However …if ….in the new series — more serial killings have been revealed to happen after Leland’s death, and the letter’s spelling Robert name are found again, the whole surrounding mystery will be opened again, and once more everyone will be a suspect. Think about it. Ben Horne and his prostitution racket we know was linked to Teresa and Laura’s selection as murder victim, we know the murders were ritual slayings. What if Ben Horne is still linked to the Dugpa’s? What about other characters? Other characters are also no longer off the hook.

But on to some other points for the time being….

The next page of the book which is undoubtedly a clue, because it was revealed as so by Mark Frost himself is the spread on 236, 237. This page for me was suspect for the beginning. It was one of the pages which gave the book the impression of a scrambled together ‘access guide’ rather than a serious treatment of the mystery. Why put in a bunch of books read by characters we already know, who’s purpose only seems to be character building, characters who many of which may not even be in the new series. It was deceptively pointless. Then there are obvious clues that the set up the scene as apparently designed to be examined. As already mentioned ‘Good literature is a mirror through which we see ourselves more clearly’ - seems to suggest that there is a clue to look at the spread in a mirror. I spent a half hour doing this and found very little to work with.

I’m not sure how I feel about the solution which has already been deduced - Books I 8 and II all being symmetrical, and the first words spelling out ‘FEAR THE DOUBLE’ is intriguing. Even as a synchronous mistake or a red herring it is fun to speculate on, and enhances that mystical black lodge aspect of the mythology. But I don’t think there is any chance that was intended by Mark. It isn’t spelled out clear enough. There is no clear indication that someone should read the first word of these book titles. It is based on too many assumptions.
So I feel there may be another clue here we haven’t picked up on. Something which intrigues me, is the idea that it might involve characters in the new series.
This seems like a red herring, but hard to ignore once noticed. Frank Truman, a character presumably to be important in Season 3, has a book (7) which gives very little in way of character, however, it seems rather purposeful that the book is placed on an angle and is called ‘Angle of repose’, this at the very least re-affirms the assumption that the placement of the books is careful and deliberate. Maybe you are meant to hold the book at an angle?
Given that the whole archivist document is written on an Underwood, and the underwood belongs to the book house, is it possible the archivist was actually a Bookhouse boy? Maybe Frank Truman compiled the dossier?

Given that we know that Mark Frost knows all revelations and secrets from Season 3. His task essentially is keeping that information secret, yet from this point of view it seems almost inevitable he is inadvertently leaving a trail of cookie crumbs to the events in the next season.
If you’re not excited by now, you’re not following the crumbs. That gum you like is going to come back in style.

-----Concluded in part 3-------- :mrgreen:
LurkerAtTheThreshold
RR Diner Member

Post by LurkerAtTheThreshold »

THE CASE FOR HIDDEN CLUES IN THE DOSSIER
Part 3:

Here are some other interesting things i’ve noticed since reconsidering the book as a layered piece of work with clues to actual events in the series to come.
When I heard about the theory that Douglas Milford was wearing the owl cave ring when he died, I hesitantly went back to watch the last few episodes of Season 2. Just to check for myself you know. He is indeed wearing a ring of similar design. As this ring only came into importance in ‘fire walk with me’, most people assume that this is merely Frost observing this ring on a relook, and deciding ‘What if we make Dougie Milford a more important character in the book just for kicks.’ However, on re-watching the final episode, I noticed something which, if not about the ring at least suggest to me that Frost had always planned something to do with Milford for season 3.

When Audrey goes to the savings and loan, she says ‘I need you to call the Twin Peaks Gazette and speak to Dwayne Milford Junior. He’s the editor.’ This suggests that Frost had always planned to bring the Milford family into the light with a next generation of characters. In fact Frost himself said about Dougie and the owl cave ring, that he had been ‘keeping that ace up his sleeve for years’. This should already be triggering things in people’s minds, about Robert Jacoby. The other major new character who is brought in through TSHOTP as a journalist for the gazette. It seems certain that some sort of storyline arc surround the Milfords the Jacoby’s and journalists for the Twin Peaks Gazette is going to be a feature in season 3. There is something about disinformation and journalism going on here, who do you trust with all this disinformation? It’s all very intriguing. Very social media.

I think somebody should make a video about the secrets in the ‘secret history of Twin Peaks’. Apart from the 3D glasses alien sightings, there seems to be very little effort to analyse this book in terms of the central mystery of the series. I loved this take from the Dugpa spoilers thread:
Twin Peaks: Spoilers, rumours, speculation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fRZlfWCrho

-------------------------------------
SOMETHING STRANGE

As a final note.
I'm so obsessed with the idea of season 3 I find myself stalking anything Twin Peaks, I don't want to miss anything. This really weird blog showed up yesterday:
http://onechancetwinpeaks.blogspot.com.au/

Some of the interpretations of TSHOTP are pretty interesting, but the writer seems like he is having some serious mental issues. Might be reading a little too much into it all. That said, I did find speculation about this countdown timer pretty interesting:

http://www.falseprophet-hq.com/

Do you think this countdown timer could really be linked to Season 3 somehow?
The symbol does look kind of similar to the one on the spine of the new book.
Trudy Chelgren
RR Diner Member

Post by Trudy Chelgren »

The blog makes for a really strange, and admittedly intriguing, story. I have to say I'm reluctant to dig further though.
gavriloP
RR Diner Member

Post by gavriloP »

Finally read the book and I'm not sure what to think of it.

But considering the TYPEWRITER: While it is true that old Underwoods didn't have number 1 the same goes for Corona Super G that TP says The Archivist used. So the only clear mistake in the book is the image of other Corona typewriter which is called "my trusty corona". It clearly isn't Super G that TP mentioned. Just google it. Also I wouldn't be surprised if there is some Underwoods with number 1 key too.

All in all I wouldn't give too much meaning to images of the book. Some of them are just from the series / publicity shots and there is even this double layered image with Leland and BOB which clearly couldn't be a "real" photograph from the dossier.
hopesfall
RR Diner Member

Post by hopesfall »

LurkerAtTheThreshold wrote: Do you think this countdown timer could really be linked to Season 3 somehow?
I highly doubt it, personally. The flashing picture, when clicked, links to a site which has been a staple of "creepy webpage" lists for years.
guildnavigator
RR Diner Member

Post by guildnavigator »

I wasn't being super critical when I read through the book, I was just enjoying myself and feeling somewhat shocked that after watching and reading the same stuff for all of these years, we suddenly have SO MUCH cool new Twin Peaks material in the form of this book.

When I saw the "trusty Corona photo" in the book I assumed for some reason that this was Garland Briggs' typewriter, and that Doug Milford was the one using the vintage underwood. Not sure if this is right or not?

I found a crusty old Underwood in my grandmother's garage a few months ago, it dates from the late 20s/early thirties, and sure enough there's no "1" key. This typewriter just got 1000x cooler to me.
gavriloP
RR Diner Member

Post by gavriloP »

Here's the real Smith-Corona Super G that The Archivist used according to agent TP:http://thingummery.blogspot.fi/2012/06/ ... riter.html

As you can see, it doesn't have 1 key either.
guildnavigator
RR Diner Member

Post by guildnavigator »

gavriloP wrote:Here's the real Smith-Corona Super G that The Archivist used according to agent TP:http://thingummery.blogspot.fi/2012/06/ ... riter.html

Ah, I see. So the underwood is only in the bookhouse then, right?
PeaksCarnivaleLost
Roadhouse Member

Post by PeaksCarnivaleLost »

Some of the interpretations of TSHOTP are pretty interesting, but the writer seems like he is having some serious mental issues. Might be reading a little too much into it all. That said, I did find speculation about this countdown timer pretty interesting:

http://www.falseprophet-hq.com/

Do you think this countdown timer could really be linked to Season 3 somehow?
The symbol does look kind of similar to the one on the spine of the new book.[/quote]

Countdown takes us up to Midnight Jan 27th/28th morning?
Good links, thanks!
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

gavriloP wrote:Here's the real Smith-Corona Super G that The Archivist used according to agent TP:http://thingummery.blogspot.fi/2012/06/ ... riter.html

Not to nitpick, but that's not even close the the one pictured in the novel. The one pictured in the novel is a Corona Standard. It has a 1 key, and the Z and Y keys are switched, in addition to other anomalies. None like it was ever made. These are clues.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
gavriloP
RR Diner Member

Post by gavriloP »

Mordeen wrote:

Not to nitpick, but that's not even close the the one pictured in the novel. The one pictured in the novel is a Corona Standard. It has a 1 key, and the Z and Y keys are switched, in addition to other anomalies. None like it was ever made. These are clues.

-Mordeen
Of course the picture is Corona standard, but TP clearly states in the notes on page 7 that The Archivist used Corona Super G. The picture is either a mistake from graphic designer or intentional, but what could it mean because it is clear that Archivist actually used Corona Super G in books "reality".
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

TP annotates that it is "most likely" a Smith-Corona Super G. While it could be a mistake from the graphic designer to not include a more accurate picture of the correct typewriter (pictures of it are all over the place), intentionally altering the keyoard layout in the image to something that doesn't even exist screams "mystery," not mistake, to me at least.

Furthermore, the "Y" key being the first letter out of place on the keyboard raises eyebrows.

Y is the 25th letter of the English alphabet. 25.

"25y" is shorthand for "25 years."

Y represents the 25th in a series.

Then there's the issue of the letter "I" replacing all the 1s. Could be a broken key, but interestingly, in the field of radar, locating objects in the scan using "chaos" involves a formula where y(i) is a vector of a particular dimension and delay value [25].

Weird.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
gavriloP
RR Diner Member

Post by gavriloP »

You're right that it has to be intentional. I couldn't find this kind of keyset after some googling. It is also very interesting that the model has german keyset.

It seems most of the old portable typewriters didn't have that number 1 key and clearly The Archivist didn't have that either. So it seems that the picture is intentional fake.
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

gavriloP wrote:You're right that it has to be intentional. I couldn't find this kind of keyset after some googling. It is also very interesting that the model has german keyset.

It seems most of the old portable typewriters didn't have that number 1 key and clearly The Archivist didn't have that either. So it seems that the picture is intentional fake.
The assumption that the Archivist's typewriter did not have a "1" key, as TP apparently does, is likely drawn from what is seen in the dossier: The use of an uppercase "I" to replace the "1"

Being that TP is likely fairly young, it would be safe for her to draw this conclusion because she never learned to type on a manual typewriter so she wouldn't be familiar with the "1" key issue. Let's say she does a little Googling (like you and others would) and voila! The Smith-Corona series typewriter has no 1 key, so bingo, mystery solved, move on to the more important details of the dossier. As she nears the end, she sees a picture of the typewriter and overlooks any details in it because she's already convinced herself that's a SC Super G. But that would be her second mistake regarding the typewriter model, because:

Her first mistake was in the assumption that the uppercase "I" was used to replace "1" due to a missing key. Older folks like myself and the Archivist who actually did learn to type on a manual typewriter without the "1" key were always taught to use the lowercase "L" to replace "1" because they are identical.

The pictured typewriter was altered to draw attention to it. The uppercase "I" therefore, to me, must be a clue.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

OH. MY.

If someone caught this already, kudos, but now that I'm examining the typewriter photo under magnification, not only is the "!" key broken (possible clue), but. . .

. . .the typewriter doesn't actually read "CORONA."

It's just ORO.

Gold.

-Mordeen

EDIT:

Corona: crown, or ring (circle) of light visible during an eclipse.

ORO CORONA = gold ring (circle)
Last edited by Mordeen on Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moving Through Time. . .