'The Secret History of Twin Peaks' novel by M. Frost 10/18

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

fearltd
Roadhouse Member

Re: 'The Secret History of Twin Peaks' novel by M. Frost 10/18

Post by fearltd »

I agree with Mr Reindeer. The talk was very short and not much detail was given about the writing or contents of the book (I believe out of interest of spoilers). Mark was very personable and welcoming. He signed my copy of the old Access Guide and seemed surprised, since (apparently) they're hard to come by. He confirmed that he did read it over to "get the details right", interestingly enough. Just thumbing through it before the show I noticed references to the warring Martell/Packard families, the Nez Perce, etc. All in all I was glad to have the opportunity.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

mtwentz wrote:
musicaddict wrote:
mtwentz wrote:]

Isn't Lynch a 'conspiracy theorist' since he was on Alex Jones's show before :-)?
I don't really agree with MF's take on conspiracy theories. Sometimes things are much deeper and it isn't just a lone gunman.
I agree, but once you go too far down the rabbit hole, the conspiracy theories can get out of hand- the whole tin foil hat thing.

That's why I think it's so much easier sometimes to deal with it in fiction than in real life.
It's interesting (and telling about the book's ultimate message) that Frost spent so much time laboriously assembling as many "facts" as he could surrounding classic conspiracy theories, exposing the holes in the "official" narratives, even though he apparently believes that "an owl is just an owl." It seems, at the end of the day, that what interests him is not the myths' veracity, but what these theories say about us as a species and a nation.

It's really fascinating that the WSJ interview concludes with Frost seemingly attacking those who believe the 9/11 attack on the Pentagon was staged; a decade ago, David Lynch seemed to have at least one foot in that very camp. The Lynch/Frost collaboration is such a strange thing.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Unique German promo:

RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
musicaddict
RR Diner Member

Post by musicaddict »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
musicaddict wrote: Were you allowed to take photos with Mark?

Nope, in the interest of time, no posed photos and no personalized messages, but you could get an additional TP-related item signed in addition to the book.

The "interest of time" thing is kind of funny because he easily could have taken a photo with each person in lieu of the extensive chatting he did. But I think getting to know the fans a little was very rewarding for him.

There were no limits on taking photos of Mark at any point, however; he just didn't pose. Your best bet is to bring a friend/loved one with you and calculate it so that you're getting in line for the signing at different times. Then you can take candid photos of one another speaking to Mark. I saw a couple do this and they got some great non-staged photos of one another enthusiastically speaking with Mark.

Thank for the feedback.
musicaddict
RR Diner Member

Post by musicaddict »

I read that Flatiron/Mark Frost were thrilled at the response to the book and I assume they meant pre-orders. Does anyone have any idea what numbers this book has sold just on pre-orders? What numbers saleswise would make this book a success in this day and age?
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

Just finally got my copy today. Won't be able to read it yet though.

Packard you say!? If Mark Frost is able to make that plot line in the original series comprehendible through the book, I'll consider it a masterwork. (It starts off relatively simple, but, by late season 2, it's just back stabbing, plotting, people coming back from the dead, etc. etc.)

Regarding Lynch and conspiracy theories, it kind of just seems natural. The guy loves mysteries and life that is stranger than fiction.

As for book sales; in this day and age, I imagine it doesn't take a whole lot to be considered a decent success. I assume the break even point is pretty low (though, maybe the budget on this book was fairly high given all the graphic design work and ad campaign, etc.).
Robot Butler
RR Diner Member

Post by Robot Butler »

It's interesting (and telling about the book's ultimate message) that Frost spent so much time laboriously assembling as many "facts" as he could surrounding classic conspiracy theories, exposing the holes in the "official" narratives, even though he apparently believes that "an owl is just an owl." It seems, at the end of the day, that what interests him is not the myths' veracity, but what these theories say about us as a species and a nation.
It reminds me of Alan Moore's Jack the Ripper graphic novel From Hell. He lists all his sources in painstaking detail, and then closes the book with an epilogue where he admits he thinks it's all bullshit. It just happened to be bullshit that provided a framework to write about themes and issues that interested him.

I'm at about the halfway point now. Doing the best I can to get through this with the time I have. Mostly good so far. Can't wait to jump into the spoiler thread.
The Archivist
Roadhouse Member

Post by The Archivist »

I believe this would be more appropriate here rather than in the "spoilers" thread.

Has anyone attemped recognising which voice actors play which parts in the audiobook?

It sound to me that Kyle McLachlan is behind Robert Jacoby's voice.

And I know for a fact (I have listened to other audiobook's samples) that Douglas Milford is played by Len Cariou. I assume T.P. is played by Annie Wersching.

Should I assume that only the actors listed in the audiobook intro are involved in the project? Unfortunately, I cannot seem to find a detailed breakdown of the audiobook cast by roles. :|
FullBlossomOfTheEve

Post by FullBlossomOfTheEve »

A new interview of Mark Frost, in french.

http://www.telerama.fr/series-tv/mark-f ... 149044.php
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

The Archivist wrote:I believe this would be more appropriate here rather than in the "spoilers" thread.

Has anyone attemped recognising which voice actors play which parts in the audiobook?

And I know for a fact (I have listened to other audiobook's samples) that Douglas Milford is played by Len Cariou. I assume T.P. is played by Annie Wersching.

Should I assume that only the actors listed in the audiobook intro are involved in the project? Unfortunately, I cannot seem to find a detailed breakdown of the audiobook cast by roles. :|
I am pretty sure the Archivist is voiced by James Morrison.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
sneakydave
RR Diner Member

Post by sneakydave »

mtwentz wrote:
The Archivist wrote:I believe this would be more appropriate here rather than in the "spoilers" thread.

I am pretty sure the Archivist is voiced by James Morrison.
That's definitely correct. I watched him on 24 for long enough to recognise his voice.
*M*A*Y*D*A*Y*
musicaddict
RR Diner Member

Post by musicaddict »

The audio book has started to ship from Amazon UK.
FauxOwl
RR Diner Member

Post by FauxOwl »

Has anyone listened to the audiobook yet? I've heard that the digital versions of the book should be skipped because of the visual element, but how does that translate to the audio version? Is it more of a companion to the hardcover version or can it stand alone?
sneakydave
RR Diner Member

Post by sneakydave »

FauxOwl wrote:Has anyone listened to the audiobook yet? I've heard that the digital versions of the book should be skipped because of the visual element, but how does that translate to the audio version? Is it more of a companion to the hardcover version or can it stand alone?
I've got both but am more familiar with the audiobook than the actual hardcover. Going through it for the second time now as I just don't get time at home to read right now.

From the pages I've leafed through, the audiobook skips the really dry stuff like the list of UFO sightings and the car receipt etc. It just gives you a brief overview of those pages. Everything else is read verbatim though. I also like how TP interjects with her thoughts as she reads the passages. I know in the book these comments are in the margin and you need to glance across to read them. This flows a little better in the audiobook.
*M*A*Y*D*A*Y*
beano
Roadhouse Member

Post by beano »

i will be at the book signing in san francisco tomorrow night! message me if you will be too..