Original Season 3 Plans

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

FrightNight
RR Diner Member

Re: Original Season 3 Plans

Post by FrightNight »

Hmmm, look at what one poster had written below the interview "Jerry Horne" conducted with the graphic novel artist:

"DirkG said...
I would like a series in proper tv-format. Casting the original actors and taking place much later. (Some of them that are dead wouldn´t be in it. Bob should be the only one played by a new actor)
IDEAS:
It could incorporate some new main characters working for an organisation tryng to find out the truth about Project blue book. That would be a great way to get into the lodge story again after all these years in a natural way that wouldn´t seem to rushed and wanna-beish. The first episodes shouldnt take place in Twin peaks at all but in a larger city or anything but slowly the story would transcend towards it. There we would learn the fates of all the old characters. Coop being inprisoned or mental hospitalized. Truman a retired alcoholic. Briggs could learn something from the new characters that he needs to enter the lodge. To cause tension Coop could escape from the prison in his dangerous condition. And Andy´s and Lucy´s kid should be the new sheriff and be as intelligent as an rocket scientist. Audrey would be in charge of the Great Northern."

Is it just me or is the gist of this guy's ideas actually coming true in the upcomin' third season? New main characters ... The story picking up all these years later ... Not all of it taking place in TP ... Gradual gravitation back to TP ... Uncanny!
On the other front, I'm suprprised that so many posters regarded the idea of a creamed-corn planet as nonsense :)
Rami Airola
RR Diner Member

Post by Rami Airola »

N. Needleman wrote: - The Lodge dopplegangers would exist in a realm several seconds behind normal time, or something
Not quite, but almost, and I think it wasn't a plan for season 3 but something that came from writing Fire Walk with Me.

When talking about the monitor scene in FWWM Robert Engels said the idea was that people have their doppelgangers existing a couple of nanoseconds (not several seconds) behind normal time and that's why we can't see them, but apparently Cooper's image in the monitor was his doppelganger caught on video.

Rudagger wrote:If that NES Twin Peaks game was ever real, I wonder if it was cancelled due to Lynch/Frost or due to production reasons (that would've been a cool thing to own, every franchise needs a NES game that barely resembles the source material!)
This is something I still remember reading about when I was a kid. Today it feels like it wasn't true at all and perhaps I've just seen a dream about it or have false memories, but apparently others have read something about it too. I just remember some magazine (perhaps a game magazine) having a short mention of it. Maybe just a few lines. And for some reason I connect even a screenshot to it. And in my memory it was a first person subjective view, like in Shadowgate and Bard's Tale. But that screenshot might've been from some other game. But that's how I remember it.

I'd love to see that page again to confirm that my memories of it aren't totally false. I haven't heard anything about it since that day I saw it somewhere (it was perhaps 1991. Or 92. Or 93. Can't remember).
DeerMeadowRadio
RR Diner Member

Post by DeerMeadowRadio »

Rami Airola wrote:
N. Needleman wrote: - The Lodge dopplegangers would exist in a realm several seconds behind normal time, or something
Not quite, but almost, and I think it wasn't a plan for season 3 but something that came from writing Fire Walk with Me.

When talking about the monitor scene in FWWM Robert Engels said the idea was that people have their doppelgangers existing a couple of nanoseconds (not several seconds) behind normal time and that's why we can't see them, but apparently Cooper's image in the monitor was his doppelganger caught on video.

Rudagger wrote:If that NES Twin Peaks game was ever real, I wonder if it was cancelled due to Lynch/Frost or due to production reasons (that would've been a cool thing to own, every franchise needs a NES game that barely resembles the source material!)
This is something I still remember reading about when I was a kid. Today it feels like it wasn't true at all and perhaps I've just seen a dream about it or have false memories, but apparently others have read something about it too. I just remember some magazine (perhaps a game magazine) having a short mention of it. Maybe just a few lines. And for some reason I connect even a screenshot to it. And in my memory it was a first person subjective view, like in Shadowgate and Bard's Tale. But that screenshot might've been from some other game. But that's how I remember it.

I'd love to see that page again to confirm that my memories of it aren't totally false. I haven't heard anything about it since that day I saw it somewhere (it was perhaps 1991. Or 92. Or 93. Can't remember).
John Thorne has said that Frost mentioned the possible NES game to him back during an old WIP interview, so there was definitely something there. I have never heard of it getting past the talks stage though...

Come Listen to Deer Meadow Radio - A Twin Peaks Podcast

http://www.deermeadowradio.libsyn.com/
Eater of Iguanas
RR Diner Member

Post by Eater of Iguanas »

N. Needleman wrote:'ll have to dig up the Engels transcript re: the Eisenhower inauguration(?)/I Love Lucy prologue to FWWM - it was something about the Lodge spirits coming to our dimension in the 1950s, on the big night where Lucy (Lucille Ball, not our Lucy) gives birth to her son on her show, an early TV "event", and the dimensional passage being depicted as insects under a formica tabletop. Or something.
Well, I'll be ding-danged! That sounds peachy keen! Would be interesting to see that turn up in the new series... although was it a Lynch idea or another Peyton/Engels lark? It actually sounds like something Lynch might get on board with, even if he didn't come up with it.

Of course, it seems to contradict what is indicated by other bits of TP lore (right back to Harry's speech in the diner about "something strange in these old woods") about the spirits being around for a much longer time than that. And my strong impression about the new book is that it will confirm and expand on this. But that doesn't mean you couldn't still do something with this idea.
Eater of Iguanas
RR Diner Member

Post by Eater of Iguanas »

FrightNight wrote:Is it just me or is the gist of this guy's ideas actually coming true in the upcomin' third season? New main characters ... The story picking up all these years later ... Not all of it taking place in TP ... Gradual gravitation back to TP ... Uncanny!
I dunno, I feel like those plot points are all fairly obvious ones that a lot of people would have thought of when speculating on a long-delayed return.

Now, if he'd said, "Michael Ontkean will probably be retired, so recasting Harry's part with Robert Forster would make sense," then I'd start to feel like things were getting weird.
bowisneski
RR Diner Member

Post by bowisneski »

Here is everything that I've been able to find regarding the original ideas for Season 3

Robert Engels
There's a great part of Twin Peaks that's built on sort of an altered reality just behind the reality that is happening. The exact same thing is happening two nanoseconds behind the thing that you're seeing. Or there is another one just in front of it that's exactly the same. For me, that means the Red Room is much more metaphysical. That would explain the two Coopers very easily - there is another Cooper just behind the other Cooper. It wasn't that we consciously put those things in the series, but David and I talked about that. It was a cool thing to think about as you wrote."

And later when talking something about the security camera scene:
"I remember that security camera stuff, and I remember us figuring that out - how you could be on camera. [...] Although it is still science fiction, we didn't want to get into time travel. But, of course, it is time travel. If you go back to what I was saying about those two realities running next to each other, it isn't time travel. They're just sort of here. It was like photographing these realities converging. He is there when he is not there. They are looking at another time."
Another thing the letter claimed is that the origin of Mike and Bob was a planet of corn, that they "fell out with each other on December 31, 1951, and Bob stole a can of corn from Mike. The chase eventually led to Twin Peaks." What can you tell us about this?

Engels answers:
I was being somewhat facetious there, [but] that's pretty close to it. That's one version of it. There's a draft of Fire Walk with Me that's a three-and-a-half hour movie. David and I talked about that. [But] David wants what's on film to be what it is. To go back and say they're from a planet of corn - yeah, but we didn't, so it isn't. It was part of the idea we talked about. Working with David, none of these things become solid until they're shot. The shooting script of Fire Walk with Me describes the bar scene as "everybody getting roasted and toasted." That's all it says. It's what David decides to do then. He'll decide what it is.
But there was this idea of a field of corn, and we would shoot it backwards so that Michael Ontkean would have to drive a jeep a mile-and-a-half backwards. It was a pretty cool thought! I think that's part of where the corn came from: "Wouldn't it be cool to see Michael have to drive his trooper backwards for that long?!" [Laughter]

Engels continues:
The plan was to get them back to their planet. He had to drive them to a portal. No wonder we didn't shoot it! [Laughter]

The interviewer comments:
Knowing Lynch's work, he never seems to be this specific about anything. It seems unusual that he would define their place of origin as a "planet."

Engels replies:
Planet is the wrong word. It would be "another place." Those are my words, but I think it's fine.

We ask these questions because there are obsessive Twin Peaks fans out there - and I won't entirely exclude ourselves from that group - who get caught up in definitions. They think, "Well, if they said it's a planet of corn, then it's got to be a planet!" Then they start concoting bizarre scenarios around all that.

Engels replies:
Well, David would say it is a "place." It's an "area." Or it's all a dream. So if you think it's a planet, it's a planet. But the corn is real, and there are waves of corn and creamed corn; so you figure it out. David is honestly and truly not being duplicitous and facetious. He just loves that stuff, and it should be what you think it is. That's what's fun about it.
Wrapped In Plastic, courtesy of Dugpa forum - http://www.dugpa.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 0&start=45
He confirmed that BOB, MIKE and the other Lodge spirits originated from Garmonbozia, a planet covered entirely in creamed corn and where everything moved backwards. He said that he revealed this to the guys from Wrapped in Plastic in an interview for their final issue, but they didn't use it (because he thought they wanted to keep the secret to themselves).
he did say that the key to Cooper's rescue would have involved time travel; that we all have Black Lodge doppelgangers, and they all exist about 2 minutes behind us in time, which is why we don't see them. So rescuing Cooper would have involved going back in time 2 minutes or hours to find his other self.
Speaking Engagement, Reported on by Dugpa - http://dugpa.com/2010/04/10/inside-twin ... april-9th/
Yeah, yeah. I don’t know if we could call them “aliens”. I can’t imagine using that term, but they were looking for a portal to get back to their planet, I can safely say that. Somewhere in that, the garmonbozia and creamed corn has a lot to do with it.
Brad Dukes interview - https://braddstudios.com/2012/06/04/exc ... ob-engels/
Yes, I bet it is. That’s David’s idea, it might be David and Mark, I shouldn’t say just David, but I found out that the planet covered with creamed corn was David. I think in the original, original draft, there was this whole thing from 1954. I’d have to go look it up to be sure, but there was this whole thing that took place, the inauguration night of [President] Eisenhower. There were insects on this kitchen table, and somehow the Garmonbozia was there (chuckles), or the corn was there. If my memory serves me correctly, we got that idea because I think it’s Eisenhower’s inauguration, they actually stop the inauguration ball for a half hour, because it was the same night that on I Love Lucy where she had her baby. That was the episode, so everything stopped, so the world stopped. So maybe that’s what we were thinking (laughs), there’s a journey. But the Gamonbozia, David explained that to me. It did have something to do with, the only way you could get there was going backwards. Because that’s why Mike talks backwards, I thought that, I’m not sure if that’s true or not. I can’t remember if this was for an episode or maybe the movie, but we planned this long tracking shot of Sheriff Truman driving backwards, because that’s how you could get to the planet, or the area, which we never did.
Altnation Interview - http://archive.alternativenation.net/ex ... backstory/
The moderator asked if there was any discussion of season 3’s storyline during the making of the show. Engels said there was naturally a discussion at the end of Season 2, but there was never any real plan. He said another writer, Harley Peyton, had the best idea for Season 3. The problems of season 2 would be solved during the first 20 minutes of the first episode. Then, the screen would fade to black and go to commercial break. After the break, the scene would remain black for a moment. Then, the screen would read, “10 Years Later,” and all the people would be in different places in their lives, working at different jobs. Essentially, Engels said, “We would start over.” If they ever do a season 3, I could see a similar opening, with Special Agent Dale Cooper escaping the Red Room 25 years later to a modern day Twin Peaks where everyone has new jobs and new lives. The TV audience would be in Cooper’s shoes as he visited and explored the town, and many of the old characters are re-introduced in interesting ways. As long as David Lynch and Mark Frost are involved in the entire process of a “Twin Peaks” renewal, I am in.
USC Panel - http://comicbook.com/blog/2013/02/12/tw ... lynch-did/

Mark Frost
It would fast forward 25 years, with Dale Cooper being Twin Peaks' aging pharmacist (!). Also, BOB and MIKE would have been revealed to have come from "a planet made of corn, corn everywhere." BOB stole some special corn (garmonbozia) and fled to Earth, and MIKE pursued him to retrieve it. Frost said that these ideas weren't fully developed and no scripts had been written.
Book Signing - https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic ... LsjjDymyek

David Lynch
I've got to say this one thing about that scene - where Annie suddenly appears in Laura's bed. This is before Laura has been murdered, and before Coop has come to Twin Peaks. Annie appears, filled with blood, and wearing the exact same dress that she's wearing when she was in the The Red Room with Cooper in the series - in the future. She says to Laura, 'The good Dale is in the Lodge. Write it in your diary.' And I know that Laura wrote that down, in a little side space in her diary. Now, if Twin Peaks, the series, had continued, someone may've found that. It's like someone in 1920 saying, 'Lee Harvey Oswald', or something, and then later you sort of see it all. I had hopes of something coming out of that, and I liked the idea of the story going back and forth in time
Interview - Lynch on Lynch, Revised Edition - Page 187

Artist Matt Haley
Bob (Engels) and I had a number of discussions about what the story would be, I was keen to use whatever notes they had for the proposed third season, I really wanted this to be a literal '3rd season' of the show. Bob told me they really wanted to get away from the high school setting, so after the resolution of the Cooper-BOB-possession plot point, they would have cut to something like "Ten Years Later", and then shown us a Twin Peaks where Cooper had quit the FBI and had become the town pharmacist, Sheriff Truman had become a recluse, etc. He also mentioned they were going to have Sheryl Lee come back yet again, this time as a redhead, and probably have her character killed by BOB again. There were also some vague ideas about BOB and Mike being from a planet made of creamed corn, something about Truman driving Mike backwards through the portal into the Black Lodge
TPA Interview - http://twinpeaksarchive.blogspot.com/20 ... rview.html
Bob (Engels) was gonna write it for me.
We took Bob’s original notes for a proposed third season and knitted together a 64-80 page graphic novel that didn’t necessarily wrap up the story, but it addressed a lot of story points, and resolved what happened to Cooper regarding the Black Lodge and his doppleganger, what happened to Sherriff Truman, and also dealt with the high school situation and we went ahead a bit in time.
Didn’t get to a conclusion, wanted to leave it open had hoped to do a miniseries, but got to a stopping point, really cinematic.
From what I recall, Cooper ends up getting out of the Black Lodge, but for the first 15-20 pages we see his doppelganger, he isn’t necessarily possessed by Bob, but serial killings start and it’s clear Coop is committing them. Truman comes out of his psychosis having dealt Josies death. He’s been back to work but is kind of a different guy, but seeing his best friend, Cooper, acting this way brings him back to his sense. At one point, Truman has to drive Mike, the one armed man, backwards through a portal into the Black Lodge to break Cooper out of there. We find out later Bob and Mike are from a planet made of creamed corn. Sheryl Lee was going to come back as another as a red head and gets murdered again. Biggest thing was they wanted to get away from the high school stuff, they thought it had run its course. So after Cooper gets out of the Black Lodge, and Annie was comatose and never came back. We cut to five years later, Cooper has left the FBI is town pharmacist, Sherriff Truman has given up on being sherriff and Ben Horne has given away all of his fortune. And Audrey spent an extended time in the hospital due to almost blowing up in the bank explosion.
James wasn’t really in the story.
Audrey was either in a wheelchair or using a walker, she was scarred as a result. Had a scene where Ben and Audrey were both side by side in a hospital bed holding hands, can’t really remember why. I think John Justice Wheeler came back, that was Bob’s decision.
(Transcribed to the best of my ability, without having to rewind more than the thirty or so times I did, from a podcast. A few words may be missing here and there, but it’s pretty close to all of the relevant info from the interview. Can be found from 51:55 to 55:55)
Peaks Freaks Podcast Episode 19 - https://www.mixcloud.com/nerdyshow/seas ... ks-freaks/
As for the pitch itself, most of the six-month period was made up of me securing the rights and figuring out how to pitch it, the story was pretty simple. We used Bob's notes for the proposed season three, but I recall very little. Harry drives his truck backwards through the portal with the One-Armed Man to try to rescue Cooper, Mike and Bob are from a planet made of creamed corn, weird stuff. Then, five years later, Cooper leaves the FBI and becomes the town pharmacist, Harry's a recluse, Andy's the Sheriff, Josie haunts the Great Northern... I think Audrey and Ben were sharing a room in a convalescent home. - mh
Personal email exchange with Mr. Haley - 8/25/2014 I also asked him if he still had his CBS pitch document, but he let me know he had had an HD crash in 2013.

Harley Peyton
Just for the record, our original intention was to play it as if good Coop had left the lodge with Bob inside him. Then, at some later date, reveal that it was, in fact, his doppelganger. Too bad we never got the chance.
Newsgroup - https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic ... XlR5wM9Zfw

Don Davis
According to Davis, had the series continued, the Major would have been a pivotal character and the strong spirit and insight given to him by the White Lodge would have made him the only possible choice to release Cooper from the Black Lodge
Asked at Twin Peaks Fest 96 - https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic ... 4Es2HruMBM

Grace Zabriske
(Paraphrase) I am alone, the house is falling apart, I’ve taken to following football, people ignore me.
Between two worlds in character interview
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I still hope we see someone driving backwards through the corn sometime.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
euclid
Roadhouse Member

Re: RE: Re: Original Season 3 Plans

Post by euclid »

bowisneski wrote:Here is everything that I've been able to find regarding the original ideas for Season 3

Robert Engels
There's a great part of Twin Peaks that's built on sort of an altered reality just behind the reality that is happening. The exact same thing is happening two nanoseconds behind the thing that you're seeing. Or there is another one just in front of it that's exactly the same. For me, that means the Red Room is much more metaphysical. That would explain the two Coopers very easily - there is another Cooper just behind the other Cooper. It wasn't that we consciously put those things in the series, but David and I talked about that. It was a cool thing to think about as you wrote."

And later when talking something about the security camera scene:
"I remember that security camera stuff, and I remember us figuring that out - how you could be on camera. [...] Although it is still science fiction, we didn't want to get into time travel. But, of course, it is time travel. If you go back to what I was saying about those two realities running next to each other, it isn't time travel. They're just sort of here. It was like photographing these realities converging. He is there when he is not there. They are looking at another time."
Another thing the letter claimed is that the origin of Mike and Bob was a planet of corn, that they "fell out with each other on December 31, 1951, and Bob stole a can of corn from Mike. The chase eventually led to Twin Peaks." What can you tell us about this?

Engels answers:
I was being somewhat facetious there, [but] that's pretty close to it. That's one version of it. There's a draft of Fire Walk with Me that's a three-and-a-half hour movie. David and I talked about that. [But] David wants what's on film to be what it is. To go back and say they're from a planet of corn - yeah, but we didn't, so it isn't. It was part of the idea we talked about. Working with David, none of these things become solid until they're shot. The shooting script of Fire Walk with Me describes the bar scene as "everybody getting roasted and toasted." That's all it says. It's what David decides to do then. He'll decide what it is.
But there was this idea of a field of corn, and we would shoot it backwards so that Michael Ontkean would have to drive a jeep a mile-and-a-half backwards. It was a pretty cool thought! I think that's part of where the corn came from: "Wouldn't it be cool to see Michael have to drive his trooper backwards for that long?!" [Laughter]

Engels continues:
The plan was to get them back to their planet. He had to drive them to a portal. No wonder we didn't shoot it! [Laughter]

Knowing Lynch's work, he never seems to be this specific about anything. It seems unusual that he would define their place of origin as a "planet."

Engels replies:
Planet is the wrong word. It would be "another place." Those are my words, but I think it's fine.

We ask these questions because there are obsessive Twin Peaks fans out there - and I won't entirely exclude ourselves from that group - who get caught up in definitions. They think, "Well, if they said it's a planet of corn, then it's got to be a planet!" Then they start concoting bizarre scenarios around all that.

Engels replies:
Well, David would say it is a "place." It's an "area." Or it's all a dream. So if you think it's a planet, it's a planet. But the corn is real, and there are waves of corn and creamed corn; so you figure it out. David is honestly and truly not being duplicitous and facetious. He just loves that stuff, and it should be what you think it is. That's what's fun about it.
Wrapped In Plastic, courtesy of Dugpa forum - http://www.dugpa.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 0&start=45
He confirmed that BOB, MIKE and the other Lodge spirits originated from Garmonbozia, a planet covered entirely in creamed corn and where everything moved backwards. He said that he revealed this to the guys from Wrapped in Plastic in an interview for their final issue, but they didn't use it (because he thought they wanted to keep the secret to themselves).
he did say that the key to Cooper's rescue would have involved time travel; that we all have Black Lodge doppelgangers, and they all exist about 2 minutes behind us in time, which is why we don't see them. So rescuing Cooper would have involved going back in time 2 minutes or hours to find his other self.
Speaking Engagement, Reported on by Dugpa - http://dugpa.com/2010/04/10/inside-twin ... april-9th/
Yeah, yeah. I don’t know if we could call them “aliens”. I can’t imagine using that term, but they were looking for a portal to get back to their planet, I can safely say that. Somewhere in that, the garmonbozia and creamed corn has a lot to do with it.
Brad Dukes interview - https://braddstudios.com/2012/06/04/exc ... ob-engels/
Yes, I bet it is. That’s David’s idea, it might be David and Mark, I shouldn’t say just David, but I found out that the planet covered with creamed corn was David. I think in the original, original draft, there was this whole thing from 1954. I’d have to go look it up to be sure, but there was this whole thing that took place, the inauguration night of [President] Eisenhower. There were insects on this kitchen table, and somehow the Garmonbozia was there (chuckles), or the corn was there. If my memory serves me correctly, we got that idea because I think it’s Eisenhower’s inauguration, they actually stop the inauguration ball for a half hour, because it was the same night that on I Love Lucy where she had her baby. That was the episode, so everything stopped, so the world stopped. So maybe that’s what we were thinking (laughs), there’s a journey. But the Gamonbozia, David explained that to me. It did have something to do with, the only way you could get there was going backwards. Because that’s why Mike talks backwards, I thought that, I’m not sure if that’s true or not. I can’t remember if this was for an episode or maybe the movie, but we planned this long tracking shot of Sheriff Truman driving backwards, because that’s how you could get to the planet, or the area, which we never did.
Altnation Interview - http://archive.alternativenation.net/ex ... backstory/
The moderator asked if there was any discussion of season 3’s storyline during the making of the show. Engels said there was naturally a discussion at the end of Season 2, but there was never any real plan. He said another writer, Harley Peyton, had the best idea for Season 3. The problems of season 2 would be solved during the first 20 minutes of the first episode. Then, the screen would fade to black and go to commercial break. After the break, the scene would remain black for a moment. Then, the screen would read, “10 Years Later,” and all the people would be in different places in their lives, working at different jobs. Essentially, Engels said, “We would start over.” If they ever do a season 3, I could see a similar opening, with Special Agent Dale Cooper escaping the Red Room 25 years later to a modern day Twin Peaks where everyone has new jobs and new lives. The TV audience would be in Cooper’s shoes as he visited and explored the town, and many of the old characters are re-introduced in interesting ways. As long as David Lynch and Mark Frost are involved in the entire process of a “Twin Peaks” renewal, I am in.
USC Panel - http://comicbook.com/blog/2013/02/12/tw ... lynch-did/

Mark Frost
It would fast forward 25 years, with Dale Cooper being Twin Peaks' aging pharmacist (!). Also, BOB and MIKE would have been revealed to have come from "a planet made of corn, corn everywhere." BOB stole some special corn (garmonbozia) and fled to Earth, and MIKE pursued him to retrieve it. Frost said that these ideas weren't fully developed and no scripts had been written.
Book Signing - https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic ... LsjjDymyek

David Lynch
I've got to say this one thing about that scene - where Annie suddenly appears in Laura's bed. This is before Laura has been murdered, and before Coop has come to Twin Peaks. Annie appears, filled with blood, and wearing the exact same dress that she's wearing when she was in the The Red Room with Cooper in the series - in the future. She says to Laura, 'The good Dale is in the Lodge. Write it in your diary.' And I know that Laura wrote that down, in a little side space in her diary. Now, if Twin Peaks, the series, had continued, someone may've found that. It's like someone in 1920 saying, 'Lee Harvey Oswald', or something, and then later you sort of see it all. I had hopes of something coming out of that, and I liked the idea of the story going back and forth in time
Interview - Lynch on Lynch, Revised Edition - Page 187

Artist Matt Haley
Bob (Engels) and I had a number of discussions about what the story would be, I was keen to use whatever notes they had for the proposed third season, I really wanted this to be a literal '3rd season' of the show. Bob told me they really wanted to get away from the high school setting, so after the resolution of the Cooper-BOB-possession plot point, they would have cut to something like "Ten Years Later", and then shown us a Twin Peaks where Cooper had quit the FBI and had become the town pharmacist, Sheriff Truman had become a recluse, etc. He also mentioned they were going to have Sheryl Lee come back yet again, this time as a redhead, and probably have her character killed by BOB again. There were also some vague ideas about BOB and Mike being from a planet made of creamed corn, something about Truman driving Mike backwards through the portal into the Black Lodge
TPA Interview - http://twinpeaksarchive.blogspot.com/20 ... rview.html
Bob (Engels) was gonna write it for me.
We took Bob’s original notes for a proposed third season and knitted together a 64-80 page graphic novel that didn’t necessarily wrap up the story, but it addressed a lot of story points, and resolved what happened to Cooper regarding the Black Lodge and his doppleganger, what happened to Sherriff Truman, and also dealt with the high school situation and we went ahead a bit in time.
Didn’t get to a conclusion, wanted to leave it open had hoped to do a miniseries, but got to a stopping point, really cinematic.
From what I recall, Cooper ends up getting out of the Black Lodge, but for the first 15-20 pages we see his doppelganger, he isn’t necessarily possessed by Bob, but serial killings start and it’s clear Coop is committing them. Truman comes out of his psychosis having dealt Josies death. He’s been back to work but is kind of a different guy, but seeing his best friend, Cooper, acting this way brings him back to his sense. At one point, Truman has to drive Mike, the one armed man, backwards through a portal into the Black Lodge to break Cooper out of there. We find out later Bob and Mike are from a planet made of creamed corn. Sheryl Lee was going to come back as another as a red head and gets murdered again. Biggest thing was they wanted to get away from the high school stuff, they thought it had run its course. So after Cooper gets out of the Black Lodge, and Annie was comatose and never came back. We cut to five years later, Cooper has left the FBI is town pharmacist, Sherriff Truman has given up on being sherriff and Ben Horne has given away all of his fortune. And Audrey spent an extended time in the hospital due to almost blowing up in the bank explosion.
James wasn’t really in the story.
Audrey was either in a wheelchair or using a walker, she was scarred as a result. Had a scene where Ben and Audrey were both side by side in a hospital bed holding hands, can’t really remember why. I think John Justice Wheeler came back, that was Bob’s decision.
(Transcribed to the best of my ability, without having to rewind more than the thirty or so times I did, from a podcast. A few words may be missing here and there, but it’s pretty close to all of the relevant info from the interview. Can be found from 51:55 to 55:55)
Peaks Freaks Podcast Episode 19 - https://www.mixcloud.com/nerdyshow/seas ... ks-freaks/
As for the pitch itself, most of the six-month period was made up of me securing the rights and figuring out how to pitch it, the story was pretty simple. We used Bob's notes for the proposed season three, but I recall very little. Harry drives his truck backwards through the portal with the One-Armed Man to try to rescue Cooper, Mike and Bob are from a planet made of creamed corn, weird stuff. Then, five years later, Cooper leaves the FBI and becomes the town pharmacist, Harry's a recluse, Andy's the Sheriff, Josie haunts the Great Northern... I think Audrey and Ben were sharing a room in a convalescent home. - mh
Personal email exchange with Mr. Haley - 8/25/2014 I also asked him if he still had his CBS pitch document, but he let me know he had had an HD crash in 2013.

Harley Peyton
Just for the record, our original intention was to play it as if good Coop had left the lodge with Bob inside him. Then, at some later date, reveal that it was, in fact, his doppelganger. Too bad we never got the chance.
Newsgroup - https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic ... XlR5wM9Zfw

Don Davis
According to Davis, had the series continued, the Major would have been a pivotal character and the strong spirit and insight given to him by the White Lodge would have made him the only possible choice to release Cooper from the Black Lodge
Asked at Twin Peaks Fest 96 - https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic ... 4Es2HruMBM

Grace Zabriske
(Paraphrase) I am alone, the house is falling apart, I’ve taken to following football, people ignore me.
Between two worlds in character interview
You're a hero

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
bowisneski
RR Diner Member

Re: RE: Re: Original Season 3 Plans

Post by bowisneski »

euclid wrote:
bowisneski wrote:Here is everything that I've been able to find regarding the original ideas for Season 3
You're a hero

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
Well thank you, but I'm just doing what I can to contribute.
Harry S. Truman
RR Diner Member

Post by Harry S. Truman »

N. Needleman wrote:I still hope we see someone driving backwards through the corn sometime.
I Also.
Driftwood
RR Diner Member

Post by Driftwood »

laughingpinecone wrote:About the videogame: anyone else get the impression that Lynch often talks about his creative projects in a way that would befit a videogame? I wonder how he'd fare if he tried his hand at some artsy experimental project.
http://www.thecityofabsurdity.com/game.html
david lynch wrote: It was called... Woodcutters from Fiery Ships... Certain events have happened in a bungalow which is behind another in Los Angeles. And then suddenly the woodcutters arrive and they take the man who we think has witnessed these events, and their ship is... uh, silver, like a 30`s kind of ship, and the fuel is logs. And they smoke pipes.
kitty666cats
RR Diner Member

Post by kitty666cats »

All the ideas for the 90s Season 3 sounded so terrible to me, the exception being Briggs saving good Cooper from the Black Lodge. That plot point sounded so awesome...
Manwith
RR Diner Member

Post by Manwith »

kitty666cats wrote:All the ideas for the 90s Season 3 sounded so terrible to me, the exception being Briggs saving good Cooper from the Black Lodge. That plot point sounded so awesome...
Yeah, they really are terrible. Funny thing is, Alan Moore (comic creator of Watchmen among other things) said in an interview a while back he would be interesting in doing something with Twin Peaks. If they were going to do a sequel comic he would have been a much better pick and come up with much better stuff than these dopey season 3 ideas they wanted to bring back in comic form.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Manwith wrote:
kitty666cats wrote:All the ideas for the 90s Season 3 sounded so terrible to me, the exception being Briggs saving good Cooper from the Black Lodge. That plot point sounded so awesome...
Yeah, they really are terrible. Funny thing is, Alan Moore (comic creator of Watchmen among other things) said in an interview a while back he would be interesting in doing something with Twin Peaks. If they were going to do a sequel comic he would have been a much better pick and come up with much better stuff than these dopey season 3 ideas they wanted to bring back in comic form.
Do you have a source for that?! That’s terrific, but also really funny, since he hates anyone doing anything with properties that he created.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Lynch would of course never allow it.

I wonder how Lynch feels about Engels and Peyton these days. Peyton, who he allegedly didn't get along so well with, is doing excellent work on SyFy's deeply underrated Channel Zero anthology. I think both men did wonderful work on the original series and the best anyone could to carry his vision in his and Frost's collective absences. I'd still love to see them work on something Peaks-related again, but I think even if Lynch regards them kindly today (and I doubt he harbors any hatred) the likelihood of that happening is approximately zero. In every interview and even his new book talking about the show's highs and lows, he has retaken full control and will not be letting it go again.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.