Original Season 3 Plans

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Hawk's Poem

Original Season 3 Plans

Post by Hawk's Poem »

Hey guys, long time lurker, new to posting. Does anyone know what the original plans for Season 3 were had the show not been cancelled? I've been searching forever and have yet to find more than a random line or two.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Re: Original Season 3 Plans

Post by N. Needleman »

There's a fair bit of stuff that's been knocked around over the years, all of which other folks can speak to much more accurately than I can - but hey, I'm here, I've had caffeine, and they're absent.

I suspect all of it should be taken with a grain of salt, but offhand I remember they were mostly just pitching ideas which may or may not have taken flight, like:

- After the cliffhanger was wrapped, the show would supposedly have jumped ahead in time several years to end the pretense of the young cast being in high school; in the ensuing years Cooper would've become the local pharmacist(??), while Harry would be a recluse.
- The Lodge dopplegangers would exist in a realm several seconds behind normal time, or something
- Sheryl Lee would return as a redhead
- Audrey may or may not have been left pregnant by John Justice Wheeler
- Ted Raimi's zombified punk rock metalhead character may or may not have returned as a demonic henchman of Windom Earle, who would potentially somehow recur after being annihilated by BOB (I think these plans were largely a lark of Peyton and Engels)
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Eater of Iguanas
RR Diner Member

Post by Eater of Iguanas »

N. Needleman wrote:Sheryl Lee would return as a redhead
... and get killed again, if I recall correctly. Hey, it's a living. Or, dying.
Ted Raimi's zombified punk rock metalhead character may or may not have returned as a demonic henchman of Windom Earle
ABC may have done us a favor if this is true.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Yeah, I love Ted Raimi but that little goof just boggles the mind.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
FrightNight
RR Diner Member

Post by FrightNight »

Let us not forget the famed planet of creamed corn (a compelling idea!) and Harry figuring out you need to drive backwards through time in order to get Coop out of the Lodge (not so compelling one ...).
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

I think one of those guys mentioned that Briggs and possibly Harry would rescue Coop from the Black Lodge.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

Weren't there plans way back to do a comic adaptation of third season storylines for the Gold Box? The artist was in touch with either Peyton or Engels and got all this material, but Lynch ended up nixing it?

Zombie Heavy Metal Youth would've been so terrible that it would've been my profile picture instead, had it happened (my profile pic of Heavy Metal Youth is not out of love)
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Rudagger wrote:Weren't there plans way back to do a comic adaptation of third season storylines for the Gold Box? The artist was in touch with either Peyton or Engels and got all this material, but Lynch ended up nixing it?
Yep. I interviewed him.

http://twinpeaksarchive.blogspot.com/20 ... rview.html
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

FrightNight wrote:Let us not forget the famed planet of creamed corn (a compelling idea!) and Harry figuring out you need to drive backwards through time in order to get Coop out of the Lodge (not so compelling one ...).
It'd be pretty hilarious to see Michael Ontkean burst into the red room with his car and rescue Cooper.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

Jerry Horne wrote:
Rudagger wrote:Weren't there plans way back to do a comic adaptation of third season storylines for the Gold Box? The artist was in touch with either Peyton or Engels and got all this material, but Lynch ended up nixing it?
Yep. I interviewed him.

http://twinpeaksarchive.blogspot.com/20 ... rview.html
Well, whaddya know, that's the exact article my memory was going off of. Great interview!

The "'trail of broken hearts' where Twin Peaks licensed products was concerned" is fascinating. Really makes you wonder what incredible (or terrible) merchandise existed somewhere in a board room. If that NES Twin Peaks game was ever real, I wonder if it was cancelled due to Lynch/Frost or due to production reasons (that would've been a cool thing to own, every franchise needs a NES game that barely resembles the source material!)
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

FrightNight wrote:Let us not forget the famed planet of creamed corn (a compelling idea!) and Harry figuring out you need to drive backwards through time in order to get Coop out of the Lodge (not so compelling one ...).
Was all that from S3 stuff though, or the original conception/mythical early draft of FWWM? (Which may or may not have had post-S2 material) That whole thing with Harry driving a mile backwards either down a road or through the cornfields or both to get Coop or take MIKE back or something?

I frankly would not be surprised to see some of that stuff - or the bizarre Eisenhower/I Love Lucy sequence once mentioned - appear in the new show.

And yes, the NES RPG has haunted my dreams since i was 9. I wanted it so, so, so bad.
Eater of Iguanas
RR Diner Member

Post by Eater of Iguanas »

N. Needleman wrote:the bizarre Eisenhower/I Love Lucy sequence once mentioned
Are you joshin' us? I've never heard of this before.
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

The "trail of broken hearts" is one of my favourite things.

About Windom coming back: I heard about zombie Raimi coming back as his minion, but I also heard about Windom coming back as a good guy, completely purified by BOB's icky influence which was everything that ever went wrong with him (as a parallel/reinforcement, I rather suspect, of Coop being able to come back squeaky clean from his possession plot). I'm... really not sure which one sounds less appealing.

Honestly, the most interesting plan for the old season 3 is that 2012 Frost interview where he says that Donna's paternity plot wasn't over. I don't even like that plot, except for the fact that Donna and Audrey as half-sisters makes sense to me instinctively, but I would've liked to see its consequences play out.

About the videogame: anyone else get the impression that Lynch often talks about his creative projects in a way that would befit a videogame? I wonder how he'd fare if he tried his hand at some artsy experimental project.
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

laughingpinecone wrote:I also heard about Windom coming back as a good guy, completely purified by BOB's icky influence which was everything that ever went wrong with him (as a parallel/reinforcement, I rather suspect, of Coop being able to come back squeaky clean from his possession plot). I'm... really not sure which one sounds less appealing.
I've never heard that at all. That's a new one on me. Is there a source?

I'll have to dig up the Engels transcript re: the Eisenhower inauguration(?)/I Love Lucy prologue to FWWM - it was something about the Lodge spirits coming to our dimension in the 1950s, on the big night where Lucy (Lucille Ball, not our Lucy) gives birth to her son on her show, an early TV "event", and the dimensional passage being depicted as insects under a formica tabletop. Or something.
FrightNight
RR Diner Member

Post by FrightNight »

Yeah, that interview with the comic book artist is really great and insightful - I remember hearing about the project (maybe from reading the interview?) back when the news was fresh and being mad as hell at Lynch for thwarting my hopes for (any kind of) TP continuation (once again). Even today, when we're having Season 3 comin' at us, I feel sorry that that project didn't come about - it would be nice to have TP in some additional art form (and boy, are those drawings mouth-watering!) and I feel it wouldn't take anything from the new show if it would be looked at as this one-off idea of a really dedicated and resourceful fan, basically as an unofficial offshoot. Maybe Frost would share my view, since he curiously didn't have anything against the realization.
However, what did strike (and still strikes) me as mightily funny was/is the question of how could the whole of intended Season 3 (whatever that may have been) fit into one measly booklet (I'm assuming that it would be a booklet since it was intended to be sold together with the DVD issue of the series)! I mean, how much stuff can you cram into one little book???