'The Secret History of Twin Peaks' novel by M. Frost 10/18

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Aqua
Roadhouse Member

Re: 'The Secret History of Twin Peaks' novel by M. Frost 10/18

Post by Aqua »

madeleineferguson wrote:
N. Needleman wrote:
madeleineferguson wrote:I could easily see Naomi Watts as the female version of Dale Cooper: a quirky, gorgeous and brilliant FBI agent. Good grief, this is exciting.
frahm just re-posted this, but here.
Thanks! It's time consuming to piece together all the little bits of information we've been given over the past year, but frahm sure is great at it.
Although it is a pity indeed that is not happening (if we are not being misled here)
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

frahm9 wrote:
dugpa wrote:My prediction based solely on the French synopsis. Dern is Diane and the Archivist. Watts is the female FBI agent.
About that... http://www.dugpa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=52067#p52067 (link to the Spoiler thread)
Damn. Oh well.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

Tom Glass wrote:I think she just simply means, that you don't have to read this book to fully enjoy season 3 or watch previous seasons to fully enjoy this book. I guess exactly the same situation was with the Secret Diary of Laura Palmer - this book give you a lot of information about Laura and Bob but do you really need to read it to enjoy and understand the show? Of course not. It goes both ways - I've read reviews of the Diary from people who had no idea about the show (most of them were young women) and they were amazed by it. I can't imagine it to be honest - but that's another topic:)
Is this part of the Brazilian phenomenon that Agent Sam Stanley was discussing in another thread, or elsewhere? You're right - this is worthy of its own thread!
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote:
Ross wrote: Well- that's certainly what I would call a tie-in as well! I assume they just want people to know this is NOT a novelization of either series, and is original content. Personally, I'd still consider that a "tie-in", but its just semantics I guess.
Yes, I believe their definition of "tie-in novel" is just different from ours.
They're just trying to say the book will have new and original content.
Truly bizarre that someone who works for a major publishing company clearly has no idea how the word "tie-in" is typically used within her industry. But yeh, nothing to worry about. This is emblematic of how frustrating the info released by Flatiron has been, tho'.
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

A thought about the author: either Frost is being sloppy with his characterization or the bit he read in that video goes a long way toward profiling the mysterious character.
Because we're not only looking for a man who has the drive and the means to keep tabs on the town for decades and access secret documents regarding its distant past (that bit about the Lewis-Clarke journals, yeah?). Let's suppose for one moment that a dramatic event (Coop's disappearance or something related to it) is what spurs the author to start the dossier - many characters could be convincingly goaded down a 'hopeless obsessive tinhatter' path as a reaction to trauma.
But no! We're also looking for the kind of man who would jot down a moving eulogy at a funeral. That narrows it down - for one, Harry is totally out, possessing the poetic sensibility of your average goat.

Mind you, I wouldn't complain about the sloppiness in this case - due to the 'all printed documents' nature of the text, I would welcome a few compromises that would accommodate more volatile bits and snippets. But how wonderful would it be if he could do all that without breaking character!
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

laughingpinecone wrote:We're also looking for the kind of man who would jot down a moving eulogy at a funeral. That narrows it down - for one, Harry is totally out, possessing the poetic sensibility of your average goat.
Hmmmm, actually, the majority of TP characters have a poetic sensibility :lol:
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

I remembered that that old Flatiron pdf (now offline?) detailing their promotional plans for the book mentioned Comic Con. With San Diego Comic Con less than a month away, I went to check the convention's exhibit hall's page but couldn't find anything that looks connected to the publisher. Huh.
ThatGumULike

Post by ThatGumULike »

Soolsma wrote:
laughingpinecone wrote:We're also looking for the kind of man who would jot down a moving eulogy at a funeral. That narrows it down - for one, Harry is totally out, possessing the poetic sensibility of your average goat.
Hmmmm, actually, the majority of TP characters have a poetic sensibility :lol:
My money's on Pete! "Oh, Josie, I see your face..."
Harry S. Truman
RR Diner Member

Post by Harry S. Truman »

laughingpinecone wrote:I remembered that that old Flatiron pdf (now offline?) detailing their promotional plans for the book mentioned Comic Con. With San Diego Comic Con less than a month away, I went to check the convention's exhibit hall's page but couldn't find anything that looks connected to the publisher. Huh.

If Flatiron is not on the list, it is that they will not intervene in the comic-com. If that is so, I expect nothing more than advertising the book until a week before its release.
scotchka

Post by scotchka »

Harry S. Truman wrote:
laughingpinecone wrote:I remembered that that old Flatiron pdf (now offline?) detailing their promotional plans for the book mentioned Comic Con. With San Diego Comic Con less than a month away, I went to check the convention's exhibit hall's page but couldn't find anything that looks connected to the publisher. Huh.

If Flatiron is not on the list, it is that they will not intervene in the comic-com. If that is so, I expect nothing more than advertising the book until a week before its release.
First poster here! I love this site.

Flatiron is a Macmillan imprint. I see Tor (another Macmillan publisher) on the floor, they could be using their space. I've been to several SDCC's and the publisher sections are usually pretty sparse. Mostly tables giving away bookmarks, buttons, bags and SOMETIMES galleys. I highly doubt they would give away advanced copies of TSHoTP but stranger things have happened.

It's possible they won't even have a table. They can still have panels and/or off site events. I cannot imagine Lynch at SDCC but maybe Frost? He's a comic book fan and all. Showtime usually has a big presence @ SDCC. We'll find out very soon!
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

The book will definitely be promoted.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

scotchka wrote:
First poster here! I love this site.

Flatiron is a Macmillan imprint. I see Tor (another Macmillan publisher) on the floor, they could be using their space. I've been to several SDCC's and the publisher sections are usually pretty sparse. Mostly tables giving away bookmarks, buttons, bags and SOMETIMES galleys. I highly doubt they would give away advanced copies of TSHoTP but stranger things have happened.

It's possible they won't even have a table. They can still have panels and/or off site events. I cannot imagine Lynch at SDCC but maybe Frost? He's a comic book fan and all. Showtime usually has a big presence @ SDCC. We'll find out very soon!
Thank you kindly!
Oh yeah, I wasn't expecting advance copies of course! Just promotional material of the sort you mention, and only because they themselves mentioned "Comic Con" in an old document.
Lynch has little to do with the book (though I imagine the key developments were co-plotted by the two of them) but Frost personally promoting the book would be amazing, be it at SDCC or elsewhere!
N. Needleman wrote:The book will definitely be promoted.
/eyes emoji :o
Harry S. Truman
RR Diner Member

Post by Harry S. Truman »

Anyone know if the other countries that were done with the book rights, make public its release date ?? We have already seen how France and Germany have done so, but there are still enough to do so. I refuse to believe that in Spain not be edited.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

Mark Frost said on twitter that there won't be available copies in SDCC and that he'll probably do a book tour.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

A signed copy would look good on my bookshelf. Hopefully he follows through on the book tour idea.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .