Recommendations for Watching While Waiting for Season 3

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

mtwentz
Lodge Member

Recommendations for Watching While Waiting for Season 3

Post by mtwentz »

While we're here twiddling our thumbs waiting for Season 3, here's my shortlist of shows to watch that somewhat catch the spirit of Twin Peaks, or at least I believe our good and will entertain most people who are Twin Peaks fans, even if they are nothing like Peaks:

1. Fargo (I have not seen this yet, buy highly recommended by others)
2. Veronica Mars (hey, even if it's not your cup of tea, must be seen prior to Season 3 for Amanda Seyfried alone)
3. Freaks and Geeks (nothing like Twin Peaks, but it is a black comedy with a cultish following)

Actually, can't think of anything else right now. The Killing, X-Files and Lost just don't do it for me. Anybody else have recommendations to add?

I've never really watched Northern Exposure, but I got the impression it got pretty close to the post-Laura Palmer Twin Peaks.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
bob_wooler
RR Diner Member

Re: Recommendations for Watching While Waiting for Season 3

Post by bob_wooler »

As I see it, there are two ways to compare shows to TP (I'm sure there are more); the shows that look/remind you of TP (like Northern Exposure or Wayward Pines) and the shows that hit the same emotional frequence as TP. For me, in regards to the latter, there were two shows that gave me, to a certain degree, the same kind of "gratifying unease" while watching, that TP gave me; Carnivale and the French series Les Revenants (The Returned) (Les Revenants even looks like TP), and did so, IMO, to a much higher degree than for example Lost or the X-files ever did.
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

Videogames!

- Kentucky Route Zero, a gem of magical realism and middle-of-nowhere americana that's fully accessible to non-gamers since it uses the trappings of text and graphic adventure genre to build its world, but without any of the difficulty. Currently on episode 3/5 so it's got its own little cliffhanger going on too. For a taste of its funniest side, try this free extra!

- Sword&SworceryEP: many works claim to be inspired by Twin Peaks, very few manage to wear that inspiration on their sleeve and have their own rich personality at the same time, without being pale imitations. Sworcery is a short point-and-click heroic fantasy that just drips TP's brand of dream logic and offers its own take on the fine art of the sudden tonal shift.

- Ace Attorney and Ghost Trick: Shu Takumi's works both present a cast of oddballs with a layered depth that distinctly remind me of Twin Peaks and nothing else. How are all these people interconnected, what secrets are they hiding, everyone's very funny but also very human, all that jazz.

- The Path: blah blah indie grimdark Little Red Riding Hood, BUT with passably lynchian themes and imagery scattered here and there... and the true endings are the most Black Lodge things I've ever seen bar actual ep29. Absolutely worth it even just for those acid trips, strengthened by their underlying narrative.

- everyone says Deadly Premonition is borderline plagiarism, but in an endearing way. I haven't played it so I wouldn't know. Alan Wake, too? And Life is Strange, which I want to try as soon as possible! Silent Hill and Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening also famously cite TP as a major source of inspiration.
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Vertigo.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Mostly repeating a lot of stuff others already said:

Top of the Lake, from director Jane Campion. (On Netflix in the US)

The Returned (Les Revenants). The original French series. (Also on US Netflix)

Broadchurch from the UK - the first series, at least - owes a huge debt to TP and WKLP in its main story and setup and the explorations of reprecussions from a single death, though it isn't supernatural in nature and has its flaws. But it has a great cast and a largely satisfying story and ensemble. I hear the second series was largely despised, but I haven't watched it yet. It too is on Netflix.

For the gamers, DONTNOD's adventure game Life is Strange is set in the Pacific Northwest and has a great many TP easter eggs. It's a very detailed game with rich characters, albeit far from perfect in terms of narrative, but still a great experience and it helped keep the TP cravings at bay for me last year. Little did I know...

I'd think of more but I'm trying to clean my apt. Oy.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Si78
RR Diner Member

Post by Si78 »

Bates Motel. On paper, a modern day Psycho prequel from the network who brought you Duck Dynasty sounds horrifying, but it's not. It's an utterly fantastic show featuring 2 of the greatest tv performances of all time (in my humble opinion). It also has a Pacific Northwest setting that reminded me of Peaks more than once.
Clueless
Roadhouse Member

Post by Clueless »

1)I've been told that Lar's Von Trier's Danish mini-series "The Kingdom" is very Peaksian, in the disturbed Lynchian sense of the word. Will be checking out soon:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VijlYkLFdAk

2) Although it might very well be a shitty paint-by-numbers thriller-soap the creators of the upcoming series Riverdale constantly compare it to Twin Peaks. The stills and trailer prove that they are wearing their influence on their shirt-sleeves, Pop Tates Diner looks like the R&R, a body is dragged from a misty lake in the early morning, Mr.Lodge as Ben Horne, and of course both the Twin Peaks and Archie universe exist in this campy hybrid world where the 50's aesthetic never died. Have mixed feelings about it, especially after watching a leaked trailer that I can no longer find. Madchen Amick also stars in it.

3)If any of y'all are big hip hop fans like me you might have your interest piqued by Donald Glover (AKA Childish Gambino) new comedy series "Atlanta" which he describes as "Twin Peak with Rappers" (!?). I have no idea what he is trying to get at but it sounds very idiosyncratic and I'm really looking forward to checking it out! I expect a surreal, quirky comedy with a huge focus on Atlanta's inimitable atmosphere. A teaser just came out and kinda fits that description: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7uy2rl9EP4
Robot Butler
RR Diner Member

Post by Robot Butler »

I'll just post shows that I like that are pretty current and and feel premium adult genre entertainment to me. Take it or leave it.

Better Call Saul
Game of Thrones
Penny Dreadful
Orange is the New Black
Preacher
Halt and Catch Fire
Walking Dead/Fear the Walking Dead.
Happy Valley
Humans
Louie (Lynch himself appears in it)

I'm sure most of you have watched True Detective Season by now.

Going back some... The Wire, The Killing. Breaking Bad, as if you didn't know.

Drifting away from "adult" shows and probably most people here... I do guilty pleasure love some CW superhero candy.
qbin2001
Great Northern Member

Post by qbin2001 »

Clueless wrote:1)I've been told that Lar's Von Trier's Danish mini-series "The Kingdom" is very Peaksian, in the disturbed Lynchian sense of the word. Will be checking out soon:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VijlYkLFdAk
I looooooove "The Kingdom" <3
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

The Killing (Danish version). Season one has a few similarities... ;)

Bates Motel.

The Kingdom (aka Riget.)

Fargo, without any shadow of a doubt.

Quatermass (John Mills version.)
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Jerry Horne wrote:Vertigo.
Think I catch your drift on that one...
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

Mad Men is v. good.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

The Kingdom/Riget is a work of art.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
AgentCoop
Roadhouse Member

Post by AgentCoop »

"American Gothic" was a short-lived small-town supernatural thriller with a Southern twist that aired on CBS in the 90's. Produced by Sam Raimi (yes, Bruce Campbell appears in an episode). Kind of hit-or-miss, but it had great atmosphere and awesome performances by Gary Cole and Lucas Black. Cole is particularly riveting as evil sheriff Lucas Buck. It's an old favorite of mine. Worth a watch if you can find it.
I'm an admin for The Genius Of David Lynch, Facebook's best DL group. Hit us up to join: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1374245592894483/
David Locke
RR Diner Member

Post by David Locke »

Metamorphia wrote:Mad Men is v. good.
I think it's possibly the greatest series of all. I'm not surprised Lynch is a huge fan of it.