March 25th or March 27th (25 Years Later)...Or another date?

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

The Dream Man
Roadhouse Member

March 25th or March 27th (25 Years Later)...Or another date?

Post by The Dream Man »

I'm sure this topic has been hotly debated here, and I tried searching for any threads regarding it, but what is the correct date for 25 years later? Or do we not have enough to conclude its date? I was sure that there was a stickied thread with all of the important Twin Peaks dates, but I can no longer find it. I ask because I was under the impression that it was March 25th, but Welcome To Twin Peaks has it stated as March 27th. I'll gladly partake in a new discussion here or peruse an old thread if someone could link me to it.

Here is what WTTP says: "WHY MARCH 27, 2014 IS 25 YEARS LATER: In the Miss Twin Peaks episode, Doc Hayward welcomes the audience with 'I hope you've had a good weekend', which sets the pageant on a Sunday night. In 1989 and based on earlier dates mentioned in the show, that would've been March 26. The final episode, Beyond Life And Death, continues the same evening and later that night we see Cooper enter the Black Lodge. A new day arrives in Twin Peaks as Audrey Horne pays a visit to the bank. If you think March 25 is the symbolic date, then how do you explain a bank in a small town being open on a Sunday? So later on Monday, March 27, Sarah Palmer meets Major Briggs at the Double R Diner right before we go back to the Black Lodge where Laura tells Cooper she'll see him again 'in 25 years'. That night, Sheriff Truman finds Cooper and Annie unconscious at Glastonberry Grove. The next morning, March 28, Cooper wakes up and realizes he didn't brush his teeth for a while..."
Ross
Global Moderator

Re: March 25th or March 27th (25 Years Later)...Or another d

Post by Ross »

I guess there can only be opinions on this, but I have always agreed with the timeline that "WTTP" states above. This is also the timeline in the "Full Of Secrets" book.

Which is, Miss Twin Peaks takes place Sunday, March 26. Audrey goes to the bank on monday, the 27th, and Laura tells Cooper she'll see him again in 25 years. The final scene might be later that night, but I'm thinking it is most likely the next morning (hard to tell from the waterfall shot, but the room looks like morning).

The confusion in the timeline of course comes from the "Three Days Later" line that starts episode 17. The bulk of episode 16 takes place on March 11. BUT, I've always thought that the final scene of that episode, Cooper and gang in the woods again, takes place the following morning (March 12). Making episode 17 take place "Three Days Later", March 15. That then places the Miss Twin Peaks contest on March 26 as above. For me, it doesn't make sense that that final scene (of ep 16) is still that same day. Cooper leaves the Roadhouse at 3:00. So they'd have about 2-3 hours left of daylight. They still have to go back to the station, have the interrogation, deal with Leland's death, etc. etc. Most likely all of this takes most of the night, and then they talk about it in the woods in the early hours of the next morning.

None of this is set in stone, so everyone's opinion is valid. But this is what makes the most sense to me. And hey, the original script for FWWM captioned the post-series scenes as TWO months later!!!
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
The Dream Man
Roadhouse Member

Post by The Dream Man »

Thanks for the explanation, Ross! What do you mean by the post series scenes in FWWM?
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

The Dream Man wrote:Thanks for the explanation, Ross! What do you mean by the post series scenes in FWWM?
You're welcome. As for FWWM- I meant the script. There were a couple of scenes written (and filmed) for the movie that took place AFTER the final scene of the series. And in the script, it calls for an on-screen subtitle of "Two Months Later". Which of course it should be ONE month later (end of February to the end of March). Perhaps they would have changed this if the scenes had been included(?)
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
The Dream Man
Roadhouse Member

Post by The Dream Man »

Interesting. I just read the "2 months later" part in the FWWM script, and those scenes sound awesome. It definitely should be 1 month as you pointed out. I wish we would have gotten those scenes in the original release...but maybe we will get the chance to see them sometime soon.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

I vote for March 26. I see Leland's capture/confession/death as taking place very quickly over the course of a few hours at most. Keep in mind too that we see Dick Tremayne enter the sheriff's station only a few minutes before Leland's death, and it's still light outside. Yeah, it's weird that all of a sudden sunny and bright outside a few hours after a late afternoon thunderstorm but narratively I just don't think it makes sense for it to be the next morning.

So if that's March 11, three days later is Tuesday, March 14 (episode 17), and episode 29 occurs over the span of March 25 - 26 (maybe 27, depending on when evil Coop smashes the mirror in the Great Northern).

EDIT: If ep. 16 DOES end the next morning, I don't think it's because the Leland situation took all night but rather because Coop, Truman, and Albert are no longer wet, Coop's hair is well-groomed, he's drinking coffee etc. Suggesting that maybe they've been up all night handling the aftermath (getting the body taken away, filing an official report, calling others like Cole etc to let them know). It does FEEL like they're coming straight from the event, but then I guess 12 hours after witnessing what they witnessed they'd still seem pretty raw and disoriented as they do here. Still, the alt.tv.twin-peaks timeline agrees w/ mine so I'm sticking to it!
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

As a twist though...I think the actual last day on the series IS March 27 because the light coming into Coop's hotel room makes it look like the last morning. As does the amount of time that must have passed with Annie rushed into the hospital, Coop placed in pajamas & bed, Doc called in - bailed out from jail no doubt after being charged with Ben's assault if not manslaughter/murder ;) - and, if you believe the timeline of the MP (problematic), Annie getting her ring stolen by the nurse. Which doesn't mean the "See you in 25 years" day is March 27 of course.

I'll admit I'm also having doubts about the "3 days later"/ep. 16 final scene too. Especially the thing about the bank being open on Sunday. However, everyone there is so slow they probably still think it's Saturday morning.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

LostInTheMovies wrote:Still, the alt.tv.twin-peaks timeline agrees w/ mine so I'm sticking to it!
I agree. (For those interested/unaware, here's a link to the a.t.t-p timeline: http://www.twinpeaks.org/archives/references/timeline)
OK,Bob
RR Diner Member

Post by OK,Bob »

However, the old Timeline, after placing Leland's funeral on Tuesday, March 14, conveniently states that Cooper was incorrect to mention that he visited Owl Cave on a Thursday.

If we instead interpret the funeral as having been Wednesday, March 15, then the first Owl Cave expedition does fall on Thursday, March 23.

My interpretation is that the final scene of Ep 16 takes place Sunday, the day after Leland's death... (Note that they didn't leave the Roadhouse in that episode until around 3:55 PM according to a clock on the wall; sunset on March 11th at that latitude would be roughly 6:15 PM.)

I vote that Ep 29 - the Grove/Red Room finale - occurred Sunday night, March 26, through Monday night, March 27... With the final scene in the hotel occurring no earlier than Tuesday, March 28
"OK, Bob. OK, BOB. OK." -Audrey Horne
OK,Bob
RR Diner Member

Post by OK,Bob »

P.S. FWIW, the calendar in Wrapped in Plastic issue no. 1 (Oct. 1992) agrees that "Leland's death in the previous episode [16] occurs on Saturday night, but the episode actually ends on Sunday morning..." and cites Cooper's later comment placing the Owl Cave expedition on a Thursday.
"OK, Bob. OK, BOB. OK." -Audrey Horne
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Re: March 25th or March 27th (25 Years Later)...Or another date?

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

The wonky way Lynch is counting down to the New Year on his weather reports made me think of this debate! As an example, this morning, he said there are three days to 2021: December 29, 30, and 31. It drives me crazy when people count like this because it’s inaccurate. But it does provide yet another angle on the Episode 17 “Three Days Later” timeline dilemma. By Lynch’s method of counting, if Episode 16 ends on March 11, three days later would be March 15!
Henrys Hair
RR Diner Member

Post by Henrys Hair »

^^ Somewhat similar to the dubious arithmetic that turns Doppel Coop's comment about being 25 years Richard Horne's senior into proof that Richard is 25 years old. :D
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Henrys Hair wrote:^^ Somewhat similar to the dubious arithmetic that turns Doppel Coop's comment about being 25 years Richard Horne's senior into proof that Richard is 25 years old. :D
LOL math has never been L/F’s strong suit. Which is odd, because Lynch must be pretty good at measuring and calculation when he makes his wood products and furniture.