fan-edits?

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

grrlskout
Roadhouse Member

Post by grrlskout »

So, after waiting that long for the second season to come out people wanna get rid of it?

.... I guess I shouldn't be surprised ~ but I am.

Now, in a TP Marathon I've been guilty of fast forwarding through the Evelyn subplot ~ but that's when everyone in the room has already seen it. There are a lot of people out there that like the second season. People that even like Evelyn (not me, but....) so... why cut it out of a first viewing??? I mean... for better or worse... it still IS Twin Peaks.

But to answer your question, I'm SURE you'll see some re-edits up on You Tube eventually.... Probably along with some bad montages to some horrible ill fitting music.... Oh, YouTube, LOL.
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

It's funny, I do find the Evelyn storyline a bit dull and I think that creatively it was a bad idea to leave the town at all (I mean, if it's not even in Twin Peaks, what's the point?), but I don't really mind it or hold nearly as much hate toward it as so many others. I find the Little Nicky, Lana and pine weasel storylines to be far worse.
"Fire...walk...with...me...MEEE!!!"
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

evelyn is ugly as all hell to boot! it looks like someone punched her teeth in :x
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Brad D wrote:evelyn is ugly as all hell to boot! it looks like someone punched her teeth in :x
I always thought Evelyn was kind of pretty! Like the old icy Hitchcock ladies. And I loved the symbolism of the crooked tooth that implied the damage & corruption behind the beauty. The ugliness that lay just below the surface.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
vancurenw
Roadhouse Member

Post by vancurenw »

It seems sad to me that a crooked tooth is the most interesting aspect of a character. ( I strongly dislike the Evelyn subplot)
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

I think they changed the music during the little pine weasel mishap. It's more comical, and definitely different. I've been rewatching all the episodes -even the ones I can't stomach I still have inprinted on my brain.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
The Magician
Roadhouse Member

Post by The Magician »

Wow... I feel really nauseous right now... This is so extreme...
uncle_fugly wrote: Anyway, I'm really excited about them experiencing the pilot through episode 16 for the first time. I'm also dreading episodes 17-28 because I'll have to explain why the majority of it is so awful. I'll want to skip to the final episode, but I can't because they'll have no idea what's going on.
You CANNOT be serious. You really need to let them see it all and decide for themselves whether the like it or not, as the quality of season two is very much an opinion. If anyone showed me a "condensed" version, or even spoiled the last half by "warning" me of how bad it was, I would never forgive them. Watching the entire show for the first time with no outside influence was one the greatest experiences of my life. Please don't ruin it for your friends.
TheArm wrote: Man - did Season 2 REALLY suck that bad?? I just watched Eps 25-27 the other day for the hell of it and because I wanted to be using my new DVDs, and I really enjoyed them!
So there is hope after all...
Sometimes things can happen just like this. *snap*

J'ai une âme solitaire.
D0ppelgangerDale
Roadhouse Member

Post by D0ppelgangerDale »

I agree that people should be able to come to their own conclusions about the second season.

However, that said, I also agree with the author of this thread that the quality of the show took a nosedive after episode 16. I will almost certainly skip ahead after watching episode 16. Right now I'm on episode 11.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

I'm definitely in the minority but I don't like episode 16 at all. Ray Wise was wonderful, but after following the mystery for so many months and dissecting the dream clues, to have it all come down to the Roadhouse moment where Cooper just gets the whisper, "my father killed me" was a letdown, and the whole road house scene was too hooky for me -Behind Twin Peaks summed it up stating it was like something out of a Scooby Doo. It just wasn't as smart as the rest of the previous series and seemed too easy.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
Evenreven
Great Northern Member

Post by Evenreven »

I'm in the minority. Episode 17 and 18, no matter how sloppy they were, were big improvements over that horror. Please note that I like most of the second season, including most of the dumb storylines. But episode 16 just feels... cheap, in my opinion.
"Who's the towhead? Those drugs are LEGAL!"
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

Yeah, I agree that they went overboard in Episode 16. I still enjoy that episode very much, primarily thanks to Ray Wise's wonderful performance, but it goes so far over-the-top of anything that's gone before (and for TP, that's saying something!), it can be a little difficult to take seriously. As much as I liked it when I was a kid, I kinda cringe now when I see BOB cackling maniacally by the phonograph with the thunder & lightning in the background. Not exactly subtle. I would love to see what David Lynch could have done with this episode. Plus, that silly looking lightning bolt/thunderclap by the Roadhouse - eek!

That being said, I've always really loved the way that Tim Hunter shot James and Donna in the RR when they have that goofy conversation in the beginning. It's really beautiful camerawork/lighting (IMHO). I also really like the conversation between Cooper and Gerard at the Great Northern, and all of the stuff with Leland in jail at the end, except for when Cooper goes all "Dune" on us suddenly.
"Fire...walk...with...me...MEEE!!!"
djzombi

Post by djzombi »

Hey, I really like ep 16 - lots of "wow" moments for me in that one, particularly the roadhouse scene, and especially when Senor Droolcup shows up. I have to agree with TheArm, too - Little Nicky, Lana and the Pine Weasel stories are far worse than the Evelyn Marsh story, though it was a majorly bad decision to continue a storyline outside of Twin Peaks. I mean, the show *IS* called "Twin Peaks."
pvilmur
Roadhouse Member

Post by pvilmur »

I've been hoping for a re-edited version of season 2 for some time. I'm still hoping for an official edit at some point.
uncle_fugly
Roadhouse Member

Post by uncle_fugly »

Perhaps I should have been clearer with my inital statements. I will let my friends watch episodes 17-28 as they are now as I would certainly want them to form their own opinions. And then when they complain about how crappy the show has become, I'll have some explaining to do...

[Although, after watching episode 17 again, the only scenes I would cut out are when Ed and Jacoby sign Nadine up for high-school and then later when Nadine throws the cheerleader into the volleyball net (undoubtedly one of the five worst scenes of TP). The rest of the episode is pretty good.]

Episode 16 certainly has its weaknesses. I think Tim Hunter does a wonderful job with the scenes between Donna and James, and I love the scene in the Roadhouse. The still-shots of each character accompanied by a bell on the soundtrack after the "that gum you like..." line gave me chills the first time I saw it. And I enjoy the "hero" shots, the low-angle views of Cooper et al in the final scene. But Leland's confession is waaaaay overboard. Something similar to his confession about Jaques' murder would have felt much more appropriate. And I absolutely HATE the direction of the scene between Norma and her mother. It's shot from the POV of the mother's posterior. WTF? Someone's trying a tad too hard to be avant-garde. (I have similar complaints about Hunter's direction in episode 4, but I'll leave that for another time.)
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

I really like all of TP. Its weird digressions and seemingly pointless, quirky plotlines are part of its charm!