Your thoughts on the Twin Peaks Gold Box dvd set

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

pelley

Post by pelley »

mark84 wrote:I dont have my copy yet, but as far as i know they all have these two errors!
I just checked both discs 4 and 6. The "Episodes" menu works fine both on a DVD player and on the computer (using Windows Media Player).

For disc 4, I get the big ice cream cone from the RR. The prompt asks whether to play with Log Lady Intros. Both choices work correctly and select the desired episode.

Maybe this problem is a subtle mastering error that only shows up on certain DVD players.

Chris
mark84
Roadhouse Member

Post by mark84 »

Thats interesting. Its better that than a whole faulty batch, tarnishing TP's name. Can I ask, Pelley what brand your stand alone player is?
pelley

Post by pelley »

mark84 wrote:Thats interesting. Its better that than a whole faulty batch, tarnishing TP's name. Can I ask, Pelley what brand your stand alone player is?
I tried a Sony and a Zenith-- both work fine.
Tonya J
RR Diner Member

Post by Tonya J »

I got my box set yesterday but I'm waiting til the weekend to dig in. Posted my postcards in the other thread.

But what I'm really quite surprised about is that there is no guide to the set. Maybe I'm spoiled by my Buffy Chosen collection, but I thought there would be something that tells you what is on each disc so you don't have to screw around putting each disc in your DVD player and going back and forth.

Ah well, I'm happy I could afford to get it.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

A booklet would have been nice.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
D0ppelgangerDale
Roadhouse Member

Post by D0ppelgangerDale »

I noticed the menu issue last night when I tried to watch episode 10. I was about to start a thread about it a few minutes ago, but I thought I should check this thread first. I have two sets at the moment (Amazon sent me a replacement set because my first set had multiple discs with scratches...sucks not being able to open the second pack of postcards!), and disc 4 of both sets has the issue. I haven't checked disc 6 yet. I can live with the defect, but it's still disappointing.
D0ppelgangerDale
Roadhouse Member

Tonya J wrote:But what I'm really quite surprised about is that there is no guide to the set. Maybe I'm spoiled by my Buffy Chosen collection, but I thought there would be something that tells you what is on each disc so you don't have to screw around putting each disc in your DVD player and going back and forth.
I have the Chosen collection, too 8) The episode guide is definitely nice to have. A lot of websites have episode guides, too, though...tv.com, for example.
HumanMedia

Post by HumanMedia »

Ok so it looks like i cant really sell the first set, in favor of the new one, as the new set is far from complete. This is what it misses out on (please correct me about any of these details)

What the new set is missing from the first release of Season 1:
*DTS soundtracks
*Seven separate running commentaries with the directors, producer and DOP
*"Mark Frost interview with Wrapped in Plastic": Telephone Interview with Mark Frost by the editors of "Wrapped in Plastic" magazine.
*"Learning to Speak in the Red Room with Michael J. Anderson" featurette.
*"An Introduction to David Lynch" featurette
*"17 Pieces of Pie: Shooting at the Mar T (AKA RR) Diner" featurette.
*interview outtake with Director Duwayne Dunham (easter egg)
*interview outtake with D.P. Frank Byers. (easter egg)
*interview outtake with Director Tina Rathborne. (easter egg)
*interview outtakes with Director Tim Hunter (easter egg)
*interview outtake with Series Writer Robert Engels (easter egg)
*interview outtake with Director Lesli Linka Glatter (easter egg)
*interview outtake with Director Caleb Deschanel (easter egg)
*interview outtake with Series Production Designer Richard Hoover (easter egg)
*home-video style short film, introduced by the Dwarf (easter egg)
*"previously on..." and "next on..." segments

What the new set is missing from the first release of Season 2:
*Interview with Jennifer Lynch (3:49)
*Interview with Director Todd Holland (4:13)
*Interview with Director Caleb Deschanel (4:22)
*Interview with Editor/Director Duwayne Dunham (4:03)
*Interview with Director Stephen Gyllenhaal (3:44)
*Interview with Director Tim Hunter (2:44)
*Interactive Interview Grid (with 12 Cast Members) (38:55 total)

Yes Ive now read the interview with the producer that this was all intentional, but my opinion is this is GARBAGE - I dont want to buy multiple copies of the same title just to get all of the extras. I just want to sell the old one and have one definitive version taking up less shelf space.
Last edited by HumanMedia on Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jmichael
RR Diner Member

Post by jmichael »

HumanMedia wrote: *All "Last week on.." and "Next week on.." segments
There were no "Next on Twin Peaks" segments in the first season set. Nor on any home video release that I'm aware of.
D0ppelgangerDale
Roadhouse Member

I think "previously on..." and "next on..." segments are annoying. I'm glad that they weren't included.
HumanMedia

Post by HumanMedia »

D0ppelgangerDale wrote:I think "previously on..." and "next on..." segments are annoying. I'm glad that they weren't included.
thanks list updated.
D0ppelgangerDale
Roadhouse Member

I meant that I'm glad they weren't included IN THE GOLD BOX SET. I used to own the season one set, but I sold it several years ago because I heard a rumor that the second season was never going to come out. I've been considering re-buying it for the extra features though.
Tonya J
RR Diner Member

Post by Tonya J »

I checked my discs 4 & 6 - I am able to play the individual episodes. Now whether there's content missing, or out of sequence, I'm not sure I'll remember enough to notice when I get to that point.

So I watched the Pilot episode. WHAT A RUSH!! I'd forgotten how emotional it is and how quirky. There is so much to love just right off the bat. I laughed like a drain when Agent Cooper was interrogating Bobby, and says (not exact) smiling ever so sweetly, "Bobby, it's simple. We ask the questions and you give us answers. Short and to the point." Or Ben Horne being translated as he speaks to the Norwegian group, "Why Sven was just telling me this morning, (thumping his chest) my air bags have never felt so clean!"

Then I hurried to look at the Richard Beymer Photo Gallery. I am just stunned by how gorgeous the photographs are, particularly the black and white shots. You can't really pick a favorite they're so wonderful, but a few stood out: DL is directing Kyle who is looking down at him, and DL is looking off either to the right or left of where Richard is taking the shot, and "Bob" (Frank Silva) is right behind Kyle, in fact, so close he looks like a homunculus attached to Kyle's back. There's a series of photographs with Dana and Madchen that are totally romantic and sweet. Then there's a photo of DL towards the end, just him and his face is beaming, ebullient. You'll know it when you see it. The other one, totally scary, is Frank Silva and Kenneth Welsh (Windom Earle). CREEPY.

I'm beaming myself. I am loving this trip down memory lane.
Last edited by Tonya J on Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leland's daughter was murdered and the Norwegians left.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Tonya J
RR Diner Member

Post by Tonya J »

Some of those are what's in the Gold Box Gallery. I don't know anything about what else is on those proofs, though. I imagine they're the same shots (of course, he hand-picked shots from what he took for this box set). I didn't know anything about them at all until I just about an hour ago viewed them for the first time.