A Twin Peaks Continuation - For or Against

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

dugpa
Site Admin

A Twin Peaks Continuation - For or Against

Post by dugpa »

New topic created to discuss...
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Against. We'll just have to make do with the upcoming FWWM deleted scenes... :wink:
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
kingsoprano718
Roadhouse Member

Post by kingsoprano718 »

Against

All of the answers are there

there is no need to continue on. What makes TP so great is in unraveling the mystery for yourself. As You watch both TP the series and FWWM and put together all the connections it makes the show that much more fun to watch.

I have come up with my own answers for electricity, the number 6, the arm, the ring and so much more.

If Lynch or anyone were to answer these questions who is to say we would like the answers?

What if the explanation is quite frankly stupid. I would rather live with the memory of being here to see one of the greatest mysteries in pop culture ever than watch as the mystique is ripped from it's heart.

Rescuing Cooper from the Lodge?? In my world it never happens and Cooper remains, where he can protect and watch over the souls in the Lodge.

No one will ever take that from me.
mark84
Roadhouse Member

Post by mark84 »

Good topic.
I'm very very against this, like Kingsoprano says its better to leave it as the fantastic piece it is than give us answers we dont need and which are much more interesting to answer for ourselves.
MarcusofaDown

Post by MarcusofaDown »

kingsoprano718 wrote:Against

All of the answers are there

there is no need to continue on. What makes TP so great is in unraveling the mystery for yourself. As You watch both TP the series and FWWM and put together all the connections it makes the show that much more fun to watch.

I have come up with my own answers for electricity, the number 6, the arm, the ring and so much more.

If Lynch or anyone were to answer these questions who is to say we would like the answers?

What if the explanation is quite frankly stupid. I would rather live with the memory of being here to see one of the greatest mysteries in pop culture ever than watch as the mystique is ripped from it's heart.

Rescuing Cooper from the Lodge?? In my world it never happens and Cooper remains, where he can protect and watch over the souls in the Lodge.

No one will ever take that from me.
My feelings exactly. It's perfect just the way it is. I always felt, even from the first time I watched over two hundred years ago, that it was meant to end like that. Just perfect.
MFAP

Post by MFAP »

Against. Unless Lynch wrote and directed.
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

For the most part against. I think it's pretty darn perfect as is, and for me at least, the show really feels very evocative of a specific time and place in the world. It was lightning in a bottle if you will, and I think that's difficult to re-capture.

That being said, I'd be the first one glued to the set if there were to be some sort of revival. But Lynch would have to be overseeing it in some capacity, and I would want it to be something that could stand on its own. Set it 25 years later and have a whole new young cast and all-new storylines, just set within the same town and with the same mood. Maybe throw in some cameos or references to the old show once the new continuity and mythology is firmly established. Also, maybe I just geek over the music too much, but in addition to Lynch, I do feel that Angelo Badalamenti would have to be involved. I sometimes feel like his music is almost as vital to the world as Lynch's direction (but it should be an all-new score).
"Fire...walk...with...me...MEEE!!!"
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Good that there's a new thread to discuss this :)

I've always wanted TP back. But I don't know how it would work with so much time having passed.

I guess it's more that I constantly wish it HAD been continued for at least a third season, more than wanting it back now ... Although I would love to see a continuation (but only if Lynch and Frost were involved, or one of them at least!). Many recent shows (LOST, DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES) were reported to have had weak second seasons and their third seasons were return to forms ... This could have been the case for our beloved TP.

I have a feeling that there's more to the 25 YEARS LATER thing (first indicated in European pilot, so at the very beginning, and then in Episode 2) than meets the eye. So, narratively speaking, a continuation now or in the next few years (in whatever form) would make sense because it was - at least subtley - always suggested in the initial/original narrative. It's not like it would be TWIN PEAKS 2: THE NEW GENERATION :D

So, I guess YES - I would be very interested in seeing a continuation (but I would have some reservations).
boyfromstorm

Post by boyfromstorm »

for

"25 years"
idea of cooper as pharmacist

lynch and co. did intend for cooper to get out of lodge. there are multiple references to that effect.

the way it ends is very frightening, but the story wasn't finished. lynch and co. have said that they left the last episode of season 2 as a cliffhanger specifically for the purpose of raising viewer interest and ratings.

without any continuation there is no resolution for audrey (bank bomb), josey (drawer knob), andy (does he get the girl and keep her) and bob still remains a mysterious entity whose motives can only be speculated.

i would have loved the graphic novel.
vancurenw
Roadhouse Member

Post by vancurenw »

The graphic novel, with Frost and Engels involved and writing, could have been amazing. A really creatively free way to continue the story. I would support something that Lynch put together in just about any form (TV or film) that continued some part or parts of the Twin Peaks story.
kingsoprano718
Roadhouse Member

Post by kingsoprano718 »

I have to think about it like this

yes Lynch followed the series with an excellent movie, which deepened the mystery, made twin peaks darker and proved that Lynch had a plan as to where he was going.

As for a continuation? There is one important thing to remember. What makes us love this series so much is the fact in ended at the highest point of drama and susepnse in the story.

While we THINK a return to the series would feature more Lodge interactions and BOB as Cooper awesomeness, you also must remember one thing....the Lodge story was basically over. At least for the time being. The time the Lodges doors would be open was coming to an end, not to mention the Windom Earle story had reached it's climax with his capture.

I can remember a time in Twin Peaks when the episodes, while still watchable, were not so great and that was directly after the Laura Palmer murder was solved. It seemed to take 4-5 episodes for the show to get back on track.

While it is great to imagine "What If" the reality is, our imaginations have concocted such great solutions no filmed continuation would ever be able to live up to it.

If anything I think I would prefer another prequel. A movie that told the entire Windom Earle/Cooper story would be a fantastic movie. It would not destroy anything because your dealing with material already there, plus it can give Lynch that chance to add some more clues like he did in FWWM and maybe a chance to explain some of the Lodge history as well through Earles fascination with it.

Heck he could bookend it with an opening involving Cooper and the mirror, then set the tale back 15 years and build the story back up to the end of the series and maybe tease us a bit more with some post series footage.

THAT I can go for, but not a new series or a "wrap up"

Heck is there an are for Peaks fan fic? I have a whole write up I would love to share
The Magician
Roadhouse Member

Post by The Magician »

The answer is yes, if you are referring to the Graphic Novel. There is no good reason why that was not made, and it would have made either a wonderful ending to the series, or an interesting curiosity that could easily be ignored.

As far as anything else... no. I do NOT want to see David Lynch do another movie. I disliked Fire Walk With Me severely, and found it to be self-indulgent, and disrespectful to the original series, fans of the series, and newcomers. I would be MUCH happier with a follow up by Mark Frost, Robert Engels, or especially Harley Peyton, who was my favorite of the Twin Peaks writers.

How the series SHOULD have been followed up is by two fantastic bookend films, a prequel showing only events in Laura (and others') lives the week prior to the pilot, and a second film that took place over the 5 days or so after episode 29, wrapping up the story, but leaving MANY loose threads.

Then, the final film should be made in 2014 and show characters, wrap up loose ends, and give a beautiful and understandable explanation to it all (giving the fans a full 25 years to speculate.) Alas... it all fell apart with it's cancellation.

Nevertheless, a graphic novel is the only way to go now, as it is too late for any live action work, in my opinion. And I don't trust Lynch with Twin Peaks anymore.
Sometimes things can happen just like this. *snap*

J'ai une âme solitaire.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

At the time TP finished, most people I knew were extremely pissed off with the last episode. For all its arty flourishes and great moments, it was a draggy, self-indulgent mess that threw away much of what made the show mean so much to a lot of us. FWWM was great but was clearly also written as a between-seasons sidestep, setting things up for season three (Annie's appearance, the gold ring, Cooper post-season two appearing in the lodge etc.)

If Lynch and his team feel there are stories still worth telling, then I want to see them. If they don't, then fine also.

Personally, I'd like to see one last trip to the town.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Gabriel wrote:...most people I knew were extremely pissed off with the last episode. For all its arty flourishes and great moments, it was a draggy, self-indulgent mess...
:shock:
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

It's true. The ratings were low, they moved the last two of the final six episodes to a month and a half later -and most of the people I knew had dropped out months prior. I had a party though, and the few of us left were making jokes half the time about how bad the show had gotten -we actually threw popcorn and anything else at the screen when Annie said, "light's out, kind of like my brain." Things picked up when the second half listed it was directed by Lynch, but we knew it was the last episode so even while watching it there was the dread of knowing it was all going to be loose ends. Now that time has past, and the viewers/fans (me) could start to appreciate it. At the time though, I remember cringing watching MacLachlan repeat, "How's Annie?" -yikes, this is just embarassing. I implicitly remembering right when the credits were rolling apologizing to my friends for getting her involved in the show too.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?