Rainy Woods - Twin Peaks Ripoff Game

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

FaceInTheLeaves
Roadhouse Member

Post by FaceInTheLeaves »

I've seen hundreds of posts from people wanting more Twin Peaks and for some reason all these people seem to have joined in the last few months. It might be wrong of me to assume most are new fans but oh, I'm going to take my chances... I can't identify with the newer fans who seem to inhabit a world of Buffy The Vampire Slayer, fan fiction, graphic novels and messageboards but I've always tried to humour/ignore them.

A continuation of Twin Peaks is a horrible idea and I think most long-term fans would agree. After fifteen or sixteen years the mysteries of Twin Peaks mean different things to different people, which is beautiful, and the idea of recasting characters in unthinkable. I visited Snoqualmie this year and it looks nothing like it did in the pilot. The Salish Lodge is sterile and crawling with snotty guests, Ronette's bridge no longer has a railway line going over it, the road where the Twin Peaks sign was placed is almost unrecognisable and developers have cleared big chunks of woodland to build houses.

I wish there had been a few more episodes or more films at the time but if you read Wrapped In Plastic you'll kind of know where the series would have gone next anyway. Cooper would have been rescued from the Lodge. People hated Fire Walk With Me because it wasn't like the series, and because characters were missing.
MarcusofaDown

Post by MarcusofaDown »

eyeboogers:

I think you're somewhat mistaken there. The ending of TP was created by Lynch (if you believe the rumors, pretty much on location) just before shooting the last episode, this then being a long time AFTER the network decided to cancel the show. They were allowed to "finish it up" in the way they wanted, and the final episode was very much just that, the FINAL episode. It is infact complete and it is infact the way its ment to be. I also cant believe you'd want closure. Mark my words, the show would never have stood the test of time as well as it has, had it had a "real" closing ending to it. The fact that it ended with questions asked not questions answered has made the show survive through the years. Im dead certain about that.

FaceInTheLeaves:

Yeah I pretty much agree with what you're saying. Continuing the story now, in any form of media be it tv, film or game, is just not right. Although, my point was also about the fact that I think it ended just right. In other words, in retrospect I wouldnt want any more episodes even if they were shot right after that final episode. Like I said in the response to eyeboogers, closure in the series would have been a terrible thing.
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

Marcus : At the time of the shooting of the series finale of "Twin Peaks" no final decision had come from the network. The ratings weren't good but it wasn't officially cancelled by any means. There are things in the last episode improvised by Lynch, but the ending is not one of them in broad strokes the plot is still the same as in the Frost/Peyton/Engels script. And again there were plans for films following FWWM.

I definatly don't get the impression that newer fans are more eager than the ones that have been around longer for a continuation. I've been a fan since back in the day, and I'm sorry but the story is NOT rounded out, that's not really up for debate there are some huge plot holes. I don't think it's part of the charm it's just something that happened cause of financial neccesities.

I guess what you guys (and i think at most 1% of the fans of "Twin Peaks" wouldn't want further films, episodes) are worried about is Star Wars syndrome happening here. That the new material would fall short and somehow cheapen what has already been made. I would hate for people not involved with the original production to do some throwaway tv movie directed by McG, but if Lynch, Frost, Peyton or Engels were involved in the writing i think it would be wonderful. Actually in a way I would almost prefer if it was the Mark Frost/Harley Peyton camp that got to deliver their vision of "Twin Peaks" since they weren't part of FWWM. Anyways you don't not fill in one quarter of a painting or stop writing a song after the first chorus. This feels broken and it should be fixed.
FaceInTheLeaves
Roadhouse Member

Post by FaceInTheLeaves »

I can see both sides of the argument for concluding the series because I've vascillated between the two since the series was cancelled but I can't see how the plotlines could be resolved in a satisfactory way after all this time.

Mark Frost said that David Lynch's final episode took the series so far off track, they'd have had trouble getting it back to where it was supposed to be had there been a third season.

According to Robert Engels the Black Lodge storyline would have been resolved in the first few episodes of the third season and then the series would have jumped forward ten years. They were concerned about people in their late twenties playing high school students.

One of the things I was most looking forward to prior to seeing Fire Walk With Me was an explanation of the ritual surrounding Laura's murder (the mound of dirt, Fire Walk With Me written in blood on a scrap of paper and the half heart necklace) and I didn't get it so I doubt a return to Twin Peaks would make the mysteries any clearer. People made the mistake of assuming Fire Walk With Me would tie up the loose ends from the series and it didn't. There's no reason to believe further episodes would do so either.

Kyle Maclachlan, Lara Flynn Boyle, Sherilyn Fenn and Richard Beymer refused to appear in Fire Walk With Me so it's unlikely they'd return for a new film/series. Jack Nance and Frank Silva are dead and neither can (or should) be replaced... There comes a point where you have to accept defeat!

The one thing I would be interested in seeing is a spin-off series about the Log Lady. She had a lot of potential, yet her character was never really developed.
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

a second movie to resolve the series (including mike and truman driving backwards into the lodge, or maybe evelyn getting killed by bob) would have had so much potential. but on the other hand, i must ask myself "what would be a fitting end to the TP saga?" and coop staring into the broken mirror is the best one i can imagine.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

what could possibly be done to tie up loose end or revisit the show and have people satisfied? I feel, even in a perfect world, it would fall under such criticism. For one, you'd have to get people reinterested in the story and make it a venture for new people to be interested strickly for financial reasons. For another reason, many of the fans of the show had already bailed out of being absorbed by the show -the finale was interesting becasue Lynch put a new spin on the banal material and made it fascinating again.

I imagine if it were ever approached again, it would have to be done in the way the pilot was produced. Make it strictly a piece about tone, atmosphere, texture and glimpses of character without overexplaining what has happened to all the people since we last left them -keep it real open ended so new people get invested in just observing them, and the old followers can dissect what each and every thing possibly means.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

Beymer didn't want to be in FWWM? I never read that. I thought that he was scheduled to film scenes. There's the drafts of the Great Northern with the Horne crew minus Audrey, so I assumed it was already planned with people interested in returning.

And I can see Boyle, Fenn and MacLachlan's view completely -get off a sinking ship. I would have been devestated if I were Fenn actually, getting the scripts and filming the scenes towards the end of the series. It must have been hard -"what are you guys doing?!"
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
MarcusofaDown

Re: ...

Post by MarcusofaDown »

eyeboogers wrote:I guess what you guys (and i think at most 1% of the fans of "Twin Peaks" wouldn't want further films, episodes) are worried about is Star Wars syndrome happening here. That the new material would fall short and somehow cheapen what has already been made. I would hate for people not involved with the original production to do some throwaway tv movie directed by McG, but if Lynch, Frost, Peyton or Engels were involved in the writing i think it would be wonderful. Actually in a way I would almost prefer if it was the Mark Frost/Harley Peyton camp that got to deliver their vision of "Twin Peaks" since they weren't part of FWWM. Anyways you don't not fill in one quarter of a painting or stop writing a song after the first chorus. This feels broken and it should be fixed.
I still very much fail to see why TP would be "broken" as you say it. Just because an ending doesn't tie up loose ends, it doesn't automatically means it's incomplete. What in particular do you find "broken"?

Having TP without Lynch? How's that for an unthinkable idea. Lynch is what made TP the classic that it is. There's no two ways about it. Frost may have been the narrative backbone of the show but it was Lynch who "made" the show what it is/was. Excluding him from any sort of TP-continuing is just not possible.

What I'm saying is, you can't just pick up and go and think it will be as good as or even close to the original. Its been over fifteen years, and TP lived very much on the atmosphere created within the cast right then and there (see numerous interviews with the cast for proof of this). IT CAN'T (and shouldn't) BE DONE. Period.

Btw, FWWM is more Twin Peaks than anything Frost and company ever brought to the show. It's what the show would have looked like today, on HBO or something. Maybe.
mark84
Roadhouse Member

Post by mark84 »

eyeboogers I'm yet another who disagrees with your point about Peaks feeling broken!
I LOVE how the show ends - I've even avoided reading those "spoilers" about who lives and who dies in the bank etc etc because I thought the end was breath taking perfection, I DONT want any advance on that, even with the temptation of things like a supposed graphic novel in the works a while back overall its better just left for me. Its a piece of art.
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

I'm on the fence on this one. If Lynch wanted to do another Peaks, I would jump along for the ride. I do agree that it was absolutelya financial decision to cut the sequels (which I believe 2 were planned after a 5 year break) so thus, count me on the fence.

On the other hand, I think the way it ended is pretty much perfect. The only thing I really want to see is more music released (Dear Meadow Shuffle anyone?) and Deleted Scenes to FWWM.

After that, I'll be a happy man.

As to whether or not the a new Peaks would be crap, that's a very good question. After what happened with George Lucas on the Star Wars prequels and more recently the Superman Donner Cut, I'm a bit weary of any sort of new Twin Peaks. But then again, this is David Lynch we are talking about so I'm sure it would be very interesting to check out.

-B
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

FaceInTheLeaves wrote:Kyle Maclachlan, Lara Flynn Boyle, Sherilyn Fenn and Richard Beymer refused to appear in Fire Walk With Me.
Kyle did not refuse entirely! Lara had commited to another film (She was also bothered by the nudity according to some) Sherilyn Fenn was unhappy with Twin Peaks since early in the series (a crew member has told me because of a failed relationship with a major crew/cast member) and Richard would have loved to have been in the FWWM but Lynch decided to not film the scene.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
TravisD

Post by TravisD »

To get back on subject,....

This is soooo bad.....maybe it could be untouchable legally.....by being a parody..... :lol: :lol:
MarcusofaDown

Post by MarcusofaDown »

I still haven't seen anyone of you who want freshly produced TP in any form actually explaining why you wan't it ("because Twin Peaks rocks" is not a valid argument). You really wan't it to continue after almost twenty years?
jos4

Post by jos4 »

Jerry Horne wrote:
FaceInTheLeaves wrote:Kyle Maclachlan, Lara Flynn Boyle, Sherilyn Fenn and Richard Beymer refused to appear in Fire Walk With Me.
Kyle did not refuse entirely! Lara had commited to another film (She was also bothered by the nudity according to some) Sherilyn Fenn was unhappy with Twin Peaks since early in the series (a crew member has told me because of a failed relationship with a major crew/cast member) and Richard would have loved to have been in the FWWM but Lynch decided to not film the scene.
Really? :shock:
I thought those rumours about Kyle being disturbed by Fenn's presence (you know, Kyle was with Boyle at that time) were fake!

Is it true that they changed the second season script so that Audrey & Cooper relationship didn't go on?
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

jos, i am pretty sure the cooper/audrey storyline was vetoed by maclachlan, and it was supposed to be the main story arc after leland dies. audrey being kidnapped by earle would have been so much better. :(