Simultaneous Tweets from David Lynch & Mark Frost

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Re: Simultaneous Tweets from David Lynch & Mark Frost

Post by LostInTheMovies »

FauxOwl wrote:I wouldn't have any problem with them recasting BOB if they felt BOB needed to reappear for the story. It's not ideal but I'd rather have them not have any restrictions with the narrative then change the story because the actor has passed.
But Bob is above all a visual device, a visual device that cannot be divorced from Frank Silva. the story element springs from that, not vice-versa. Don't forget Lynch is a painter at heart. Story is important but it serves a larger purpose in the world of Twin Peaks. Indeed, story changed numerous times based on outside circumstances, usually in good ways (the mid-season 2 debacle is the exception rather than the rule and due in large part to Lynch's - and probably Frost's - disengagement).
FauxOwl
RR Diner Member

Post by FauxOwl »

LostInTheMovies wrote:
FauxOwl wrote:I wouldn't have any problem with them recasting BOB if they felt BOB needed to reappear for the story. It's not ideal but I'd rather have them not have any restrictions with the narrative then change the story because the actor has passed.
But Bob is above all a visual device, a visual device that cannot be divorced from Frank Silva. the story element springs from that, not vice-versa. Don't forget Lynch is a painter at heart. Story is important but it serves a larger purpose in the world of Twin Peaks. Indeed, story changed numerous times based on outside circumstances, usually in good ways (the mid-season 2 debacle is the exception rather than the rule and due in large part to Lynch's - and probably Frost's - disengagement).
This is certainly a valid point. I'd only say that it's up to Lynch and Frost, not fans. I don't have a problem with any decision Lynch and Frost might make. If they felt BOB cannot be divorced from Silva, so be it. If they felt BOB has become too central to the TP mythology to abandon as a narrative element in the TP universe, likewise. Perhaps old footage of Silva could be used in a scene where BOB transforms into a new form, which would be preferable to using a look-alike. But again, it's up to them, not us.
nemo
RR Diner Member

Post by nemo »

One thing is sure for me - because Bob is BOB, he is unavoidable and the development and continuation of the story is simply inconceivable without his participation. Although I agree, that the visual aspect plays a unique role in art, if we look back at the genesis of the character, he was born out of the pure abstract idea of a man hiding locked in the room, the unnoticed presence of a mysterious man only in somebody's room created the atmosphere of fear and fright.
Lynch underlines each time being asked, that this was the main trigger, although Frank Silva is unique in every respect. I hope, David Lynch is really full of beans and will be able to treat his masterpiece in the most delicate inventive manner.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

nemo wrote:One thing is sure for me - because Bob is BOB, he is unavoidable and the development and continuation of the story is simply inconceivable without his participation. Although I agree, that the visual aspect plays a unique role in art, if we look back at the genesis of the character, he was born out of the pure abstract idea of a man locked in the room, the unnoticed presence of a mysterious man only in somebody's room created the atmosphere of fear and fright.
Lynch underlines each time being asked, that this was the main trigger, although Frank Silva is unique in every respect.
But again, it was this specific man whom Lynch imagined stuck in the room, and it was that particular image that started all the other associations. He can't just put someone else in a jean jacket and call him Bob. It would inevitably feel watered-down and Lynch doesn't do watered-down. If circumstances or restrictions foreclose certain avenues, he finds an organic way to create within those limitations, rather than attempt to echo something outside those limitations. I could see a whole story springing from the fact that Silva is unavailable, the same way Mulholland Drive was structured around the existing open-ended TV pilot or the Twin Peaks pilot's air of suggestion and menace grew within the confines of network censorship. Grace Zabriskie has a great quote about this in the Between Two Worlds feature - how Lynch could walk onto a set, see the "mistakes" and make them integral to the scene. This is true in a larger sense as well.

If Bob is a presence, I suspect it will be fleetingly, through existing, unused fragments of footage or by completely re-imagining the character as something wildly different from a jean-jacketed, long-haired man. But my money would be on Lynch going in a new, unexpected direction altogether - even to make not seeing Bob a narrative engine, rather than trying to "compensate" for Silva's absence with a lookalike replacement.
nemo
RR Diner Member

Post by nemo »

In my view not to see BOB as one of the key narrative engines automatically means to compensate. Everything else is a wishful thinking to me. That's how I see it. Btw I don't like Mullholand Drive too much prefering INLAND EMPIRE because of lots of compromises Lynch had to make and they are awfully visible in the film narrative structure, which to be true leaves no holistic impression unlike INLAND EMPIRE. I'm starting to get more anxious about the whole thing. No matter how you look at it, it means ,,compensations". It would be better for me to refrain from this discussion and see, what will happen.
Fernanda
Roadhouse Member

Post by Fernanda »

DESMOND
(eyeing Cable's glass jaw)
This one's comin' from J. Edgar.

Desmond blasts him in the jaw and Cable goes over - lights out, all
systems down.

Mrs. Tremond's grandson is standing in that room. He is holding his
hands above him as if he is grasping an imaginary glass ball. As we
move towards the space between his hands a ring of fire appears there
and we move thru that into...

113. INT. RED ROOM

(Why include such specific imagery (an imaginary glass ball) in the script when it could never be conveyed on camera?)

He is getting nothing. The static begins to build on the intercom.
The wiring in the wall and the flourescent lights start to hum as
well.

COLE (continued)
LET ME HEAR SOME GOOD NEWS. MY
DEVICE IS FAULTY. WHERE THE HELL IS
THE SOUND IN THIS THING?
(pounds on the intercom)
MAYDAY...

A GUY in the room is working on a light that keeps buzzing and
shorting out. He doesn't really know what he's doing so he is
poking at the wiring.

STANLEY
(confidentially)
One thing that has been troubling me.
That lamp at the diner. Do you think
they were working on it for esthetic
reasons or was their work due to faulty
wiring?

DESMOND
Faulty wiring.

STANLEY
Esthetics are subjective, aren't they,
Agent Desmond?

The word that Paul used for glass actually refers to a mirror. Glass has the property of reflecting, and so can be used as a mirror. It reflects as well as being transparent. The glass Paul referred to was probably a translucent, and unclear sort of glass. Clear glass was first developed about the end of the first century, in Egypt.

Paul’s idea of glass obscuring our view of things may be the foundation for John’s use of the idea of a “sea of glass.”

Paul said, “For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.” [1 Corinthians 13:12]

John described those who gain the victory over the beast as standing upon the sea of glass, that is before the throne of God, where they no longer have to view things “through a glass.” Their perspective is like that of Moses; they are “face to face” with Christ, and the throne. But the sea of glass on which they stand still functions as a mirror.

https://www.thisisyourbible.com/index.p ... diaid=1215

"Leland stops when he sees them. He divides. One half becomes Bob - opaque. The other half floats up and becomes Leland - transparent."
Last edited by Fernanda on Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:20 am, edited 21 times in total.
FauxOwl
RR Diner Member

Post by FauxOwl »

LostInTheMovies wrote: He can't just put someone else in a jean jacket and call him Bob.
I agree this likely won't be the approach. But I'm not going to say that Lynch can't do this. If that's the solution Lynch feels is best, he can do it. One thing that would surprise me is if BOB's presence in the TP mythology is mitigated or ignored should there be a revival. No matter how the character came to be, eventually this entity became the central antagonist... the archetype of evil and darkness in this universe. The entity taking on another form that looks completely different from Silva's BOB is the thing that makes most sense... characters transforming or having dual representations would hardly be new to Lynch's oeuvre. I don't think Lynch would avoid this simply because it is the most obvious solution, as I don't think he makes creative decisions to be unconventional or unpredictable just for the sake of being unconventional or unpredictable.
Fernanda
Roadhouse Member

Post by Fernanda »

For in that sleep of death, what dreams may come,
When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,
Must give us pause.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KZ6mIsbDc4
"Did you eat anything strange at lunch? Any shellfish?"
Attachments
vlcsnap-2014-10-04-23h56m27s77.png
vlcsnap-2014-10-04-23h56m27s77.png (140.53 KiB) Viewed 11293 times
vlcsnap-2014-10-04-23h29m41s162.png
vlcsnap-2014-10-04-23h29m41s162.png (318.83 KiB) Viewed 11293 times
Last edited by Fernanda on Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:39 am, edited 3 times in total.
philosofish

Post by philosofish »

Digital imagery could bring back Bob -- if that's even the direction Lynch/Frost are going with this stylish gum. Marilyn Monroe was recently featured in a Dior perfume commercial, looking very much alive.
Fernanda
Roadhouse Member

Post by Fernanda »

http://www.mapstothestars-film.com/2014 ... -spoilers/

There is also this way that actors have to become only images, products: this thirteen year old kid who is really conscious on what he commercially represents … There is something deeply unhealthy in this relation they have with power : as pharaohs they impose their own images and they decide to have recourse to incest.

It is interesting that you mention Egypt: Pharaohs wanted to become Gods, immortals by splitting up their physical reality from their beings. When Benjie has this meeting with his producers, we feel that they don’t want him to truly exist. He is too much problems for them with his use of drugs etc. They would prefer to possess a star Benjie who would not have any link with the teenager that he truly is. And we know technology almost gives us the opportunity. We make Humphrey Bogart, Marilyn Monroe, relive. We could make a movie with their avatars. Marilyn would not be late on set… We feel that many people would like this more. It is a desire for immortality always very powerful and we see that James Dean is dead but he is still alive. As Elvis and his music. It is a religious phenomenon: image split up from the body. The body is mortal but stars’ images are not.

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/se ... mentpage=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-q0gJmI61PU (6:00)

The original script of Sunset Boulevard began in a morgue, with the corpses all sharing how they met their ends. (It was shot but discarded because it didn’t sit well with preview audiences.) That scene was a thematic foretelling of my own corpus to come: phantoms telling stories around a campfire.

“It’s all ending now,” says Agatha to her brother at the end of our film. The prodigal daughter has returned to atone for her parents’ sins by sending the entire family to the ghostly realms whence she came. Sometimes the dead are more real, more enviable than the living, because they no longer have the crushing task of playing out the storyline that kills them. [Cronenberg] knows this, sees this, feels this. The dead are liberated from story and exist for the living as … maps to the stars.

It is our birthright – we are all ghosts around Wilder’s campfire morgue, telling stories of how we arrived, and stories of our leavetakings, too.

I can’t wait to hear the next one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIVnQli0Db0

Desire Under the Douglas Firs
http://www.filefactory.com/file/41e1zig ... 2-1993.pdf pp. 33-34 (11)
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

If the show comes back, which actors do you 100% expect/want to see? I think Kyle MacLachlan and Ray Wise are guaranteed, probably Sheryl Lee and Grace Zabriskie too. They will find some way to put them all in it. Additionally, based on their level of support of the show, especially in recent years, I would say Madchen Amick, Dana Ashbrook, Peggy Lipton, James Marshall and Kimmy Robertson would likely also make appearances. My wish list includes Joan Chen as Judy, Everett McGill (I hope David found him!), Moira Kelly as Donna, and of course, Sherilyn Fenn.

Which characters do you think are crucial for a revival and which could they do without, even if they were vital to the original series? Do you have any ideas for where you would want the characters to be 25 years later? In your opinion, are there characters that would have never realistically stayed in Twin Peaks for 25 years?
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Chris Isaak, David Bowie, Miguel Ferrer, Kiefer Sutherland, Kenneth Welsh and Harry Goaz.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

I feel like this is appropriate right now!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... 2GY#t=1243
Last edited by vicksvapor77 on Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Jerry Horne wrote:Chris Isaak, David Bowie, Miguel Ferrer, Kiefer Sutherland, Kenneth Welsh and Harry Goaz.
Agree with these. Alicia Witt as Gersten would be cool. Plus I'd love Heather Graham.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

I wonder if Ferrer would even do it. He mentioned at the Missing Pieces premiere he hoped a revival would never happen.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/