Questions for James Marshall

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

BobCooper
Roadhouse Member

Questions for James Marshall

Post by BobCooper »

I'll be interviewing James Marshall likely this week or next week, depending on the schedule of the film he is shooting. Any questions?

Also after I do about 5-7 Twin Peaks cast member interviews, I will release an article with quotes from the actors on where they think their characters are at in 2014. So far I've already got quotes from Dana and Ray that I'm saving for it.
SonnyBaker

Re: Questions for James Marshall

Post by SonnyBaker »

Did you choose to leave on your own or did the writers plan on cutting you from the show? Were there any plans to bring James back in a third season?...possibly Donna storms out of Twin Peaks to find James again? Were you surprised that you were asked back for FWWM after being written out in the second season? Do you recall anything else that was cut from FWWM that didn't make it into The Missing Pieces?
Are we falling in love?
FormicaTable
Roadhouse Member

Post by FormicaTable »

Did Sheryl Lee's stirring performance as Laura in FWWM surprise him after only working with her previously as Maddie (except in that flashback)? Since Lynch caught up with the Palmer family and found out what they've been up to since, what does he think James is doing 25 years later?
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

I'd love to hear any stories/anecdotes he has about working with Everett McGill.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

SonnyBaker wrote:Were you surprised that you were asked back for FWWM after being written out in the second season?
This is a great question/point. I guess it's mostly a function of refocusing the story on Laura Palmer, but Lynch did this with so many cast members - and crew too, so maybe it isn't just a prequel thing. Sheryl Lee, Ray Wise, Grace Zabriskie, James Marshall, and behind the camera Ron Garcia and others (names escape me, but I know there were more people who hadn't been involved since the pilot).

Really, Grace Zabriskie's disappearance from the show is most grating. I mean I get it - they wanted viewers to move past Laura - but how ironic that the last line we hear her say is, "I want to remember everything"...and then she's promptly forgotten! Until Lynch found a way to bring her back (unscripted) in the finale. While I'm pretty much fine with FWWM as it is, it's too bad a few more of those Sarah Palmer moments didn't make it into the film (even so, her reaction shots in that movie are just amazing). She's so good, and just kills it in Wild at Heart and Inland Empire as well, in wildly different roles.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Also, I gotta say, James Marshall gets a lot of flack from fans but he's really pretty solid in the film, very subtle and effective (although I never found the character the most compelling or engaging in the series). The scene with him and Laura in the woods grows on me more and more every time I see it. And it's a great counterpoint to the similar scene with him and Donna in the pilot.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

He wasn't written out. He asked if he could leave to go do a movie. He thought he could come back. He's a really, really nice guy.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Audrey Horne wrote:He wasn't written out. He asked if he could leave to go do a movie. He thought he could come back. He's a really, really nice guy.
Any idea why Piper Laurie wasn't in the finale, especially since she was in the script?
rocketsan22
RR Diner Member

Post by rocketsan22 »

Ask him if "Just You And I" haunts his dreams like it does mine...
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

LostInTheMovies wrote:
Audrey Horne wrote:He wasn't written out. He asked if he could leave to go do a movie. He thought he could come back. He's a really, really nice guy.
Any idea why Piper Laurie wasn't in the finale, especially since she was in the script?
I read Brad Dukes' excellent book, Reflections, and I'm pretty sure Mark Frost mentioned he left Twin Peaks around episode 28 to start filming Storyville.

Piper Laurie appeared in that movie. Could it be that her scenes for Storyville were filmed fairly early in the production and she missed the last episode of Twin Peaks to start rehearsals/shooting, etc for Storyville? I know somebody asked Piper about this at the USC event, but she didn't seem to remember, or maybe misunderstood the question.
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

... Now that I think of it, I'm pretty sure it was in one of the interviews Brad did to promote Reflections where he mentioned Mark Frost left during episode 28 to do Storyville. (Not sure if that actually appears in Reflections or not).
jmichael
RR Diner Member

Post by jmichael »

bosguy1981 wrote:
LostInTheMovies wrote:
I read Brad Dukes' excellent book, Reflections, and I'm pretty sure Mark Frost mentioned he left Twin Peaks around episode 28 to start filming Storyville.

Piper Laurie appeared in that movie. Could it be that her scenes for Storyville were filmed fairly early in the production and she missed the last episode of Twin Peaks to start rehearsals/shooting, etc for Storyville? I know somebody asked Piper about this at the USC event, but she didn't seem to remember, or maybe misunderstood the question.
I think Piper was around, at least for a bit. It seems that the "There's No Place Like Home" promo was shot at the same time as Ep 29, as Richard Beymer took photos of that shoot along with all the other pictures he took of Ep 29. I always assumed, that for whatever reason, David didn't want Catherine to be in the bank - and there wasn't really anywhere else to put her.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

BobCooper wrote:I'll be interviewing James Marshall likely this week or next week, depending on the schedule of the film he is shooting. Any questions?

Also after I do about 5-7 Twin Peaks cast member interviews, I will release an article with quotes from the actors on where they think their characters are at in 2014. So far I've already got quotes from Dana and Ray that I'm saving for it.
Who else do you have lined up for cast/crew interviews? Enjoying them so far.
BobCooper
Roadhouse Member

Post by BobCooper »

LostInTheMovies wrote:
BobCooper wrote:I'll be interviewing James Marshall likely this week or next week, depending on the schedule of the film he is shooting. Any questions?

Who else do you have lined up for cast/crew interviews? Enjoying them so far.
I'm going to interview Kimmy Robertson (Lucy) and Michael Horse (Deputy Hawk) soon, just have to set up times/days. I'm interviewing James on Tuesday.
BobCooper
Roadhouse Member

Post by BobCooper »

The James interview went great, almost as long as Engels. He has that same intensity when he talks as he did on the show. I may do his interview in 2 parts, I'll have up at least part of it by the end of the week. He had some really interesting ideas for a revival, very detailed. I also got him to talk about what he thinks James has been up to for the last 25 years, which I'll use for the 'Twin Peaks Characters 25 Years Later' piece I'll do after I've got at least 5-7 interviews in the can.