FWWM questions (probably asked before but what the hell)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

FWWM questions (probably asked before but what the hell)

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

I was checking yesterday the FWWM shooting script to check it out a few deleted scenes and I came up with a few questions.
They were probably asked before, long before my time, so I'm sorry in advance if you already read this.

Stanley's eyes drift to Teresa's left hand.

STANLEY
I wonder where her ring is?

Desmond notices the mark on her hand as well.

DESMOND
Yeah.
(looking into the personal effects)
Personal effects include a watch, under
garments, and a blue waitress
uniform... the ring is missing. It says
the rest of her things haven't been
removed yet from the trailer. Let's
hope it's there.

Stanley returns with his equipment. Desmond shows him the photograph.

DESMOND
Take a look at this.

STANLEY
She's wearing a ring.

Stanley studies it.

DESMOND
My guess is there isn't enough detail in
the photo to get an idea of the design on
the ring, but we should do a blowup of
this anyway.

Maybe I missed something, but why was the missing ring so important/relevant to the investigation? I can see why Stanley was concerned about it since he's so attentive to small details, but as the above scenes showed Chet was also concerned. "Let's hope it's there".
I thought it wouldn't be so uncommon for a body who was removed from a river to have missing jewelry.

CARL (continued)
Mrs. Simmons owns the trailer and she
lives in town. Teresa rented it about a
month ago.

DESMOND
Did she have someone with her?

CARL
Right. She had a friend with her. The
friend took off.

DESMOND
Was there an argument?

CARL
Not that I know of. But arguments do
happen, don't they?

For instance, I thought that asking for a full description of the friend who was with her a few days before she died would be more important than a missing ring?
Thoughts?
Last edited by Agent Sam Stanley on Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
james
RR Diner Member

Re: The Ring

Post by james »

In the released film, it seems like Chet Desmond has knowledge of what to look for in this type of case, tied in with the Blue Rose status of the investigation. All that I could assume was that the green 'owl cave' ring was significant specifically due to Leland Palmer being from Twin Peaks, but that the FBI somehow had guidelines that an items of jewellery or similar would be missing in this case. Is this whole area so abstract that it doesn't make any logical sense - I'm not sure?

It's sensible enough to think that the FBI felt that this case must be tied to something bigger and so any piece of missing clothing or jewellery would be a significant lead to follow. 'The Missing Pieces', indeed.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Re: FWWM questions (probably asked before but what the hell)

Hm, makes sense. I'm sure they were planning to develop this a lot more after FWWM. Oh well
nemo
RR Diner Member

Post by nemo »

I think, Chet Desmond's excessive attention to the ring is explainable by the intuitive approach this agent maybe subconsciously or intentionally (or both) relies on. We remember that ,,he's got his own MO - modus operandi". In this respect he is much alike Dale Cooper, who always uses his intuition apart from logic. THAT'S WHY Gordon sent Desmond to investigate that case and Cooper after him. Those agents were special as was the case. Both knew, what the Blue Rose case meant either. But I personally doubt, that Desmond was previously instructed about the ring/had any information. I believe, it's all about intuition.
I like the scene very much, where Desmond hears the Indian whooping noise standing at the post and then goes to the trailer and discovers the ring. And the scene, where Cooper goes exactly to the same place where trailer used to be, shows how equally minded in some situations both agents can actually be.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

You're totally right nemo. There's a description further in the script that tells us that Cooper and Chet were equally intuitive about certain things:

Cooper starts walking in the opposite direction from Cliff's trailer
picking up on the same odd vibe that struck Desmond.

And probably Phillip Jeffries was the same before his disappearence.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote:You're totally right nemo. There's a description further in the script that tells us that Cooper and Chet were equally intuitive about certain things:

Cooper starts walking in the opposite direction from Cliff's trailer
picking up on the same odd vibe that struck Desmond.

And probably Phillip Jeffries was the same before his disappearence.
Plus of course at one time, Chet WAS Cooper in the script- before Kyle passed on being in the movie. I've never seen an earlier version of the script though to know how similar Chet was to Coop's character. (Has there ever been an earlier version leaked anywhere?)
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Ross wrote: Plus of course at one time, Chet WAS Cooper in the script- before Kyle passed on being in the movie. I've never seen an earlier version of the script though to know how similar Chet was to Coop's character. (Has there ever been an earlier version leaked anywhere?)
Apparently there was a copy for sale on Ebay years ago. Never seen an online scan tho.
Would love to read it too :(
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

Ross wrote: Plus of course at one time, Chet WAS Cooper in the script- before Kyle passed on being in the movie. I've never seen an earlier version of the script though to know how similar Chet was to Coop's character. (Has there ever been an earlier version leaked anywhere?)
One of the most astounding things about our rabid Twin Peaks fandom is the fact that that early draft of the FWWM screenplay (with so much more Agent Cooper) circulated at one time and yet it's never leaked onto the web. What are the odds? Maybe David Lynch himself bought it off ebay to hide it forever. :lol:

Has anybody here read the thing? I'd love to hear a bit about it from anybody who's been able to read it.
nemo
RR Diner Member

Post by nemo »

As far as I remember, Robert Engels talked even about the very early five-hours-movie draft. I guess, it can still exist in form of a hand-written outline.
Probably it's the draft, where they tried to look back to the 50's and develope the ideas about another world, where BOB and Mike were eager to return to, according to Engels. I'm sure, this draft or bits of it may still be stored in Lynch's archives.
james
RR Diner Member

Post by james »

The idea of an earlier script selling on e-bay doesn't sound very plausible. I don't think anyone has seen the Cooper in Deer Meadow with Sam Stanley version. Surely the big fan who would have seen it would be on here now writing about it with us?
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

james wrote:The idea of an earlier script selling on e-bay doesn't sound very plausible. I don't think anyone has seen the Cooper in Deer Meadow with Sam Stanley version. Surely the big fan who would have seen it would be on here now writing about it with us?
I think it was dugpa or Jerry who said once the early draft was there for sale but it was too pricey to bid.
nemo
RR Diner Member

Post by nemo »

The idea of an earlier script selling on e-bay doesn't sound very plausible. I don't think anyone has seen the Cooper in Deer Meadow with Sam Stanley version. Surely the big fan who would have seen it would be on here now writing about it with us?
I think, the idea nevertheless does sound plausible. Let's imagine the situation in a deductive way: the owner of this script version considers it to be a rare item. He put much money into its buying and would like to keep it for himself. Thus it can be a matter of personal wish to share or not. If the draft still hasn't been leaked to the internet, it in no case means, that it doesn't exist.
So I like to believe, that more drafts exist.
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

bosguy1981 wrote:
One of the most astounding things about our rabid Twin Peaks fandom is the fact that that early draft of the FWWM screenplay (with so much more Agent Cooper) circulated at one time and yet it's never leaked onto the web. What are the odds? Maybe David Lynch himself bought it off ebay to hide it forever. :lol:

Has anybody here read the thing? I'd love to hear a bit about it from anybody who's been able to read it.
I just noticed the World of Blue documentary on the Bluray includes a screenshot of the original Fire Walk With Me draft screenplay, showing some of Cooper's original lines (before he was replaced with Chet Desmond). Give me more!!!! :D
StealThisCorn
RR Diner Member
Location: Laying on Laura's lap in the Red Room / Gorging on garmonbozia with Bob Above the Convenience Store

Post by StealThisCorn »

For instance, I thought that asking for a full description of the friend who was with her a few days before she died would be more important than a missing ring?
Speaking of which, does anybody know anything more about that "friend" who was with her? There's another part in the script where Irene mentions her.

IRENE (continued)
Came looking for a job with a friend of
hers. Pretty girl. Could've been her
sister.

DESMOND
What happened to her?

IRENE
There was only one job. Teresa took the
job. Her friend took a hike. Never saw
her again.

That line, "could've been her sister", made me wonder if this "friend" was a character we were supposed to know? Ronnette? Laura? Judy? Except, Judy was maybe supposed to be Josie's sister. I guess? Just always made me curious when I read it.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

StealThisCorn wrote: That line, "could've been her sister", made me wonder if this "friend" was a character we were supposed to know? Ronnette? Laura?
At first I thought about Laura, as Teresa and Laura are supposed to be lookalikes: "Teresa Banks, you look just like my Laura".
But why would Laura be looking for a waitress job in Deer Meadow? She had a lot to do in Twin Peaks already (high school, Meals on Wheels, tutoring Johnny and Josie, etc).
Maybe they thought about Laura when they wrote that but realized it would make no sense, that's why it got deleted.