Twin Peaks on Blu-Ray Official Discussion Thread - Spoilers

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Re: Twin Peaks on Blu-Ray DVD Official Discussion Thread

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

nemo wrote: Btw can you tell me, if Annie's throat was slit in the series? Is it possible to make it out in that dark scene?
nemo, I don't believe Annie's throat is slit at all. The blood on her neck is coming from her nose:

nemo wrote: Besides I'd like to share my thoughts about the reason, why Laura was so scared by Annie's disappearance. I think, the reason is, that the RING was passed on to Laura and she felt it.
That's the best explanation I read so far :)
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote:
nemo wrote: Btw can you tell me, if Annie's throat was slit in the series? Is it possible to make it out in that dark scene?
nemo, I don't believe Annie's throat is slit at all. The blood on her neck is coming from her nose:
Agree with Sam here. Its not slit. Her face is just bloodied as it was in the Lodge, outside (after) the Lodge, and in Laura's dream.
nemo wrote:It's really hard to say, how deliberate it was. On the one hand Lynch associates the dress with the Red Room. It could be though, that working on the hospital scene he decided, that Annie should have left the Lodge wearing exactly this dress. Thus he changed it. Besides using exactly this dress allows to combine the dream sequence, hospital sequence AND the Red Room sequence in detail. I mean, if in Laura's dream Annie hadn't had that dress on, there wouldn't have been a very important link to the events in the Red Room (Laura's dream was also played in the Red Room). And If Annie were dressed in her dress from the contest in the hospital scene, the whole scene would look less convincing, in the way, that it wouldn't double exactly the dream.
I think you are exactly right here. I think Lynch associates the dress with the Lodge, and then wanted her future appearance to match the dream. He probably just didn't care that it contradicted her last scene in the series.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Gordon
Roadhouse Member

Post by Gordon »

Something I just noticed... The shot of Jeffries on a stairway with the burned wall behind him (presumably when he reappears in Buenos Aires) looks to me upgraded, the special effects I mean, like it was slighly CGI'd for this release... Any thoughts?
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Gordon wrote:Something I just noticed... The shot of Jeffries on a stairway with the burned wall behind him (presumably when he reappears in Buenos Aires) looks to me upgraded, the special effects I mean, like it was slighly CGI'd for this release... Any thoughts?
I think the effects are most probably completely new. As I think all the footage was cut well before any optical effects would have been done. So they probably had to create something for it now.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
thegreatnorthern
RR Diner Member

Post by thegreatnorthern »

just watched the preview .. I didn't blink .. so beautiful!
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Ross wrote:
Gordon wrote:Something I just noticed... The shot of Jeffries on a stairway with the burned wall behind him (presumably when he reappears in Buenos Aires) looks to me upgraded, the special effects I mean, like it was slighly CGI'd for this release... Any thoughts?
I think the effects are most probably completely new. As I think all the footage was cut well before any optical effects would have been done. So they probably had to create something for it now.
I had the same thought as the two of you, because of the fact that the scenes were unfinished, and because the effect is so seamless and effective. The visceral emotionality of Bowie doesn't hurt any either.
skawitch
Roadhouse Member

Post by skawitch »

Wow... just... wow. I haven't been a TP fan nearly as long as a lot of you, I got in with the dvd release (god the wait between series 1 and 2...), but from day one I was lurking on forums. I can't believe after all the false starts over the many, many years we are finally getting the deleted scenes. The weird thing is, it feels like we can finally draw a line under TP - every time a new rumour surfaces about a new series comes up I desperately get my hopes up as it feels like TP is unfinished business. Now it feels I don't need to.
Also: I get married 2 weeks before this and it's released the day I get back from honeymoon. Talk about a good month!
jlyon1515
RR Diner Member

Post by jlyon1515 »

Jasper wrote:
Ross wrote:
Gordon wrote:Something I just noticed... The shot of Jeffries on a stairway with the burned wall behind him (presumably when he reappears in Buenos Aires) looks to me upgraded, the special effects I mean, like it was slightly CGI'd for this release... Any thoughts?
I had the same thought as the two of you, because of the fact that the scenes were unfinished, and because the effect is so seamless and effective. The visceral emotionality of Bowie doesn't hurt any either.
I actually disagreed with you all. When I watched that Jeffries scene, I actually thought about how it was definitely 90s style special effects! If someone were to do the effect today, I'm pretty sure they would make sure that Bowie wasn't IN FRONT of the railing. You can see he was just placed on top. Today, they at least draw a line where that railing is, and make sure the bowie footage was correctly behind the rail.

It sort of reminds me of the "arm punching face and coming out mouth" part of the PS2 commercial that Lynch directed, and the time frame would be similar as well.
jlyon1515
RR Diner Member

Post by jlyon1515 »

Ya know, I was just thinking about the cover art of the newly announced set. I'm really surprised that the 2 images used are known to be unavailable in high resolution! So the cover is made up of two low-res images, and then they just took the title art from the gold box set (with it's brushed metal look and slight dark/light wave gradient) and just changed the color to silver instead of gold.

(There are only 2 known Laura death photos in high-res:
http://phototactics.files.wordpress.com ... 1_full.jpg
http://www.nadiabailey.com/wp-content/u ... palmer.jpg
The one on the new cover isn't either of those. It's a screenshot, I'm assuming from the initial film negatives though, so it's decent-ish quality.)

That all being said, they clearly devoted their time where it should be, on the content of the set, not the cover!

Sorry, I'm known to nitpick and notice details. Every time I watch the end of FWWM, I always chuckle on the footage of the angel overlayed on Laura and Cooper. That angel footage plays forward, and then you can visibly see it bounce into reverse, play for a bit, and then bounce to forward footage again, and finally bounce into reverse again. :)
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

I am puzzled why Annie would have that dress on in the hospital, it is really Caroline's dress, right? She went in the lodge with her Miss Twin Peaks pageant dress... so unless Windom changed her clothes in the lodge? uh? What do you guys think?

I don't really care either way, but logic says she would be wearing the dress she entered (and left) the lodge with in the finale.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Brad D wrote:I am puzzled why Annie would have that dress on in the hospital, it is really Caroline's dress, right? She went in the lodge with her Miss Twin Peaks pageant dress... so unless Windom changed her clothes in the lodge? uh? What do you guys think?

I don't really care either way, but logic says she would be wearing the dress she entered (and left) the lodge with in the finale.
Hey brad- flip back a few pages. We've been discussing this. It was the first thing I noticed when viewing the new footage. Continuity mistake, or deliberate?
Gordon
Roadhouse Member

Post by Gordon »

Maybe Lynch has changed for this release that shot from episode 29 of Annie outside the Lodge with the black dress, adding with CGI Caroline's... Also Hayden Christensen somewhere in the background and Coop yelling "NOOOOOO!". :D
chalfont
Roadhouse Member

Post by chalfont »

Where have we seen that burned wall effect before?
It seemed so familiar, but right now I can't think of where it was.
Sure it means something like an entrance of a loophole in time and space - like the electricity is the transport-medium and these burned walls are where people enters and disappears
rewak
RR Diner Member

Post by rewak »

I noticed the effects thing too, there's a 'halo' around Jeffries like they didn't quite pinch the green screen enough. I also noticed some print damage on the scene of the car swirling a donut in the dust (big line right down the middle) and a jump-cut on the close up of Annie (that could be bad editing for the trailer though). I'm hoping things aren't as damaged as all that but maybe stuff is a little rough.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

jlyon1515 wrote:When I watched that Jeffries scene, I actually thought about how it was definitely 90s style special effects! If someone were to do the effect today, I'm pretty sure they would make sure that Bowie wasn't IN FRONT of the railing. You can see he was just placed on top. Today, they at least draw a line where that railing is, and make sure the bowie footage was correctly behind the rail.
You may be correct about the age of the effect, but I don't think there's any reason that Bowie would be BEHIND the railing. He suddenly appears in the hallway and the wall next to him is singed, but he doesn't appear ON the wall. From the script:
Jeffries is suddenly standing in the second story hallway of the Buenos Aires Palm Deluxe Hotel. The wall behind him is seared black and smoking.