Deleted scenes from THE SERIES

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Magica

Deleted scenes from THE SERIES

Post by Magica »

Everyone (myself included) is so excited about the deleted scenes from FWWM but I'm genuinely surprised that hardly anyone at all seems to mention the numerous deleted scenes from the actual series. One of the things that drove me absolutely crazy about the season 1 release was how it contained descriptions for the deleted scenes but didn't include a single one of them! Surely, this footage does still exist and I'd kill to see it! Surely, I can't be the only one who's longing to see this footage??

Now, does anyone know if the deleted scenes from the series are going to be included in the new dvd release? They MUST be! If not I fear we'll never get to see them and that would be a terrilble loss!
snikgrif
RR Diner Member

Post by snikgrif »

No you are not the only one by a long way. I brought up the same question in my topic (6 topics below yours). You will see that it is a waiting game on this, all you can do is keep an eye on MK2.com. Also, if you haven't already, sign the petition and/or e-mail MK2. Try this site:

http://www.facebook.com/twinpeaksdeletedscenespetition (Updated 7/24/2011)
Si

http://www.facebook.com/twinpeaksdeletedscenespetition

''I may be the sole pirate here with the use of only one hand.''
Magica

Post by Magica »

Actually, that's not what I'm talking about at all! I was referring to the deleted scenes from the actual Twin Peaks tv series. A lot of scenes were cut from the first season! There are descriptions of them on the season 1 dvd but the scenes themselves aren't present. It's these deleted scenes I desperately want to see but appear to be pretty much alone in wanting so. I can't understand why!
Teopeaks
RR Diner Member

Post by Teopeaks »

Well, I don't know about others, but for me, I like Twin Peaks as a story, I like the mood and the unfolding of events. In a way, when I watch it, I feel like I'm there in this small town, and I would really not want to see deleted scenes (scenes that were decided not to belong to the world of Twin Peaks as we know it), which would be totally useless in the way I appreciate the show, would not bring anything to the story and would have a realistic "Behind The Scene" feeling that I really do not like. It's like audio commentaries, it would kill anything Lynch has evern made.
Magica

Post by Magica »

Well, they WERE supposed to be part of Twin Peaks as we know it! The episodes were written and made longer than what we've seen but ended up being too long for its time slot since the makes didn't have too much experience with working with TV. That's why some scenes sadly had to go but I wish there was a chance to see this material. The best way to do this would be to have them included in the dvd set! But if not I hear there's a bootleg floating around somewhere. True??
Red Room
RR Diner Member

Post by Red Room »

Magica wrote:There are descriptions of them on the season 1 dvd but the scenes themselves aren't present. It's these deleted scenes I desperately want to see but appear to be pretty much alone in wanting so...
You're not alone. I too would like to see these, and I'll bet there are plenty others who (like me) were intrigued by the descriptions of such scenes on the Season 1 DVD...
snikgrif
RR Diner Member

Post by snikgrif »

Sorry magica, got your meaning wrong. I have found that in alot of films I like, a hell of a lot of footage ends up being discarded and ends up lost over time, or is not finacially viable to produce as extra's. I read somewhere that FWWM was originally 5 hours long cut to 2 hours, to fit into the average movie length. Something DL was against.

Teopeaks has a point, that if D.L. edited out the deleted scenes, then like an artist chops and changes his art until he's happy, then what you are seeing is the effect that he wanted. Sometimes more is less. It's when movie or TV companies chop out stuff to fit in a time schedule then it's bad news, I don't think that is what happend as I read that Twin Peaks series was written on the fly, an evolving story that carried on into the next episode, and then next series.

Anyway I hope you can find them :D
Si

Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Yes, deleted scenes do exist. The question is, do the masters still exist? They may pass because the quality is bad. Here is a deleted scene from YouTube: www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKw3LRzlOic
jmichael
RR Diner Member

Post by jmichael »

You know what I'd love to see again is the extended "Previously on Twin Peaks..." that ran before the show returned to Thursday nights for the first time. It was narrated by Cooper (dictating to Diane, of course) - catching everyone one up on what had happened from the end of the Laura Palmer story through the death of Josie.

It had been six weeks since the show had been on the air and even longer since a lot of people had watched...so this was a great way to get up to speed, and of course, it was moody and perfectly atmospheric.

Also, I think a lot of fans would like to see the footage shot revealing Ben Horne as the killer. This was shot with Richard Beymer purely to prevent the identity of the real killer getting leaked out. Beymer has said in interviews that it was one of the most difficult things he's ever had to film - I'd certainly be curious to see it. I bet he was scary as all get out.

Still, this is all just a pipe dream. Just get those episodes in my hand, looking and sounding perfect and I'll be so happy.
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

I had heard about the bootlegs of Deleted Scenes that have been going around. What I can confirm sadly is that the bootlegs that are going around were actually stolen merchandise that a so called fan had stolen from a member of the crew and the masters to this day have not been returned.

I'm hoping that the Complete or "Ultimate" set will contain some Deleted Scenes. I mean how "Ultimate" can it be if it doesn't contain any Deleted Scenes. Even the Northern Exposure DVDs are filled with Deleted Scenes.

-B
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Speaking of Northern Exposure, i'm so glad we never ran into music rights issues with TP on home video. I hate to even mention it lest i jinx something! Your favorite scene now contains background music by... Hall & Oates !!!
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

That would be completely awful if they replaced any of the music from Twin Peaks. I don't think I could buy it.

-B
snikgrif
RR Diner Member

Post by snikgrif »

I would be surprised if anyone would buy it. In all DL's work the image and music are part of the whole. For me it would be like having a chair with one leg, unbalanced.
Si