Continuity

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

MFAP

Continuity

Post by MFAP »

Hey everyone!

Thought I would start an thread on continuty mistakes between the film, series, books and any other TP media you wanted to add.

I think I should be specific about what I mean about continuty. I thinking of the big narrative mistakes and inconstancies etc . I think we should exclude any visual continuity mistakes, casting, set design(although what is the deal with the MAJOR difference between Jacques cabin in the movie and series! Oops..broken my own guidelines already).

Anyho.....to get the ball rolling here are a couple:

-How come Ronette has a flashback to Laura's murder when it is shown she was unconscious during this event in the movie.

-What year is TP set in exactly? If Laura was killed a year after Teresa and Andy said that Leo was locked up when Teresa was killed in 1988, then this would put the year at 1989. Yet Laura's diary continues after Feb 23 1989.

Additions people!!!
wallydanger
Roadhouse Member

Post by wallydanger »

Here's a copy of a post I made in another thread:
wallydanger wrote:The thing that has me really perplexed is when Albert tells them the time of night Maddy was murdered was between 10 and Midnight and then Harry says, still suspecting Ben to be the killer, that it fits because they arrested Ben after Midnight.

There are a few problems with Harry saying they arrested Ben after Midnight. I believe we see Leland killing Maddy while Cooper sees the Giant at the Roadhose at about 10:30 pm and they have already arrested Ben. I went back and watched that episode for clues.

As the scene begins where Ben is taken into custody, a shot is shown of the exterior of the Great Northern, it's dusk and the sun has recently set, there still being some light left in the western sky, and Venus is shining brightly. On March 9th the sun sets just after 6 pm at the latitude of Twin Peaks, which would make that shot seem that it's well before 7 pm.

Also, Mr. Tojamura has just arrived to talk business, something that would seem very odd after Midnight.

When they arrive at the police station with Ben, the Log Lady is there waiting for them to tell them there are owls in the Roadhouse. (estimated time; 8pm)

Then we see Pete in his robe in the kitchen with toast and milk, and Mr Tojamura enters with a surprise. (est; 9pm)

Sarah Palmer passes out, Leland adjusts his tie. Cooper, Harry and the Log Lady enjoy a concert at the Roadhouse. The Giant appears to Cooper and Donna cries. (est; 10:30pm)

So when Harry says that line about taking Ben in after Midnight it has to be a writer's mistake. I remember this confusing us (the group I originally watched the series with) at the time.

Of course, there's another possibilty: an intentional "mistake" by the writers to make us talk about it.

What's really odd is that I went to Twin Peaks Online to check their timeline, and there they list the sequence of events in THE WRONG ORDER, to make this inconsistency go away. It says there that the scene arresting Ben happens after the Roadhouse scene with the Giant. Cheats!

http://www.twinpeaks.org/archives/references/timeline

The other thing the writers got wrong is that conjuctions of Jupiter and Saturn occur almost exactly every 20 years. In 1989 they were almost in opposition. There were conjunctions in 1980 and 2000.
"Do you see creamed corn on that plate?"
> Enter The Lodge
mjwilson
Roadhouse Member

Post by mjwilson »

There's that whole thing with the blood type changing between seasons, isn't there?

And Jacques Renault's manner of death. Cooper gets told in one episode that he was strangled (IIRC), and then in the next episode Albert corrects that to say that he was suffocated. Was this a writer's mistake that got picked up?
Teopeaks
RR Diner Member

Post by Teopeaks »

Well, taking about cabins, Harold Smith seems to have moved between the series and the movie. Strange for someone who can't go out.
MFAP

Post by MFAP »

I rememebr the blood type thing. I think they said in season 1 that Jacques blood was AB- then in the first episode of season 2 when they summerise the case so far they say that he didn't have AB- blood.

Yeah, Harold musta taken up horticulture between the movie and series as there is not a plant in sight in the movie! The exterior of the Palmer house also seems to change between the series and film!

It would have been very cool if the diary was more in synch with the film and series. I mentioned the date problems above, but we also have the 'friend of her father' quote in the series that never appeared in the diary. Also looks like Laura never got around to writing about Annie and Dale in the Black Lodge.

Also why would Laura say to Ronette 'I haven't seen you since I was thrown out of One Eyed Jacks"?. Didn't they go to school together?
wallydanger
Roadhouse Member

Post by wallydanger »

MFAP wrote: Also why would Laura say to Ronette 'I haven't seen you since I was thrown out of One Eyed Jacks"?. Didn't they go to school together?
I think they met at the perfume counter.
"Do you see creamed corn on that plate?"
> Enter The Lodge
MFAP

Post by MFAP »

According to Laura's diary they met at a party of Leo's I think. But I totally forgot about the perfume counter! That raises more questions about Laura not seeing Ronette since One Eyed Jack's, as they both went to the same school and worked at the perfume counter.
worthit
Roadhouse Member

Post by worthit »

MFAP wrote:Also looks like Laura never got around to writing about Annie and Dale in the Black Lodge.
She couldn't do it because she had already given the diary to Harold.
bmiller
Roadhouse Member

Post by bmiller »

I don't know if this has ever been discussed in Twin Peaks forums:

When Laura Palmer dies in February, Bobby Briggs is missing from football practice the next morning. This is bizarre in the extreme. Is there any high school in the United States that has ever conducted football practice in the month of February??? Any football coach that isn't an idiot would be using the winter months for strength training and conditioning, not football practice. I guess that Lynch/Frost just really didn't consider this at all.

Also, when you consider the fact that Dana Ashbrook looks more like a basketball player than any other kind of athlete and the fact that practically all high school basketball teams would be practicing in February and one is left scratching one's head as to why Bobby Briggs isn't a basketball player at Twin Peaks High School.
mjwilson
Roadhouse Member

Post by mjwilson »

bmiller wrote:I don't know if this has ever been discussed in Twin Peaks forums:

When Laura Palmer dies in February, Bobby Briggs is missing from football practice the next morning. This is bizarre in the extreme. Is there any high school in the United States that has ever conducted football practice in the month of February???
As a UK viewer I would never have noticed anything odd about this. For us, February would be a fine month for football (ie soccer).
silenttwn
Roadhouse Member

Post by silenttwn »

How about after episode 2, with Cooper's dream, in the next episode the writer started referencing the entire European pilot ending as opposed to the edited down portion that made it into episode 2. I guess you could interpret the European pilot ending, then, as Cooper's dream in full length.
MFAP

Post by MFAP »

I forgot about Coop's description of his dream. Good one silenttwn.

Also, why doesn't the One-Armed Man just tell Cooper who BOB is? He seems to know it was Leland in Fire Walk With Me. Why all the cryptic clues?
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Laura's diary is green in the pilot, changes to red in series.
MFAP

Post by MFAP »

That was Laura's 'fake' diary in the pilot. The one revealed in the second season was her real diary. On the subject of Laura's diary, the printed retail version was quite alot thicker then the one shown in the TV series, plus the fact that the retail version was in small print while the one on the series was in largish handwriting. No way everything could have fitted into the version shown on telly, plus the fact that Harold reads from an early entry.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Well that teaches me for not watching a single episode for over 10 years!!