Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

Post by N. Needleman »

enumbs wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:10 pm The Jesse Hawken tweet is a joke.
Very obviously.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
DougieJones
RR Diner Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

Post by DougieJones »

Jordan Ruimy from the original blog that started all this just put out a new article saying that it is definitely a movie, not a television show.
"Jade give two rides."
Cde.
Roadhouse Member

Post by Cde. »

Jordan Ruimy says on AwardsWorthy:
The Lynch is a MOVIE.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Can someone explain why the Hawken tweet is definitely a joke? I'm not sure who he is and feel out of the loop - unless it's just that he said "it's weird" when most Lynch movies tend to be.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

Jonah wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:25 pm Can someone explain why the Hawken tweet is definitely a joke? I'm not sure who he is and feel out of the loop - unless it's just that he said "it's weird" when most Lynch movies tend to be.
Yeah, that's the crux of the joke I think aha. Parodying the standard kind of tweets that will start to come through once critics start to see it.
Ickles
RR Diner Member

Post by Ickles »

N. Needleman wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:13 pm
enumbs wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:10 pm The Jesse Hawken tweet is a joke.
Very obviously.
My mistake. It doesn't help that I have no idea who they are but mea culpa.
enumbs
RR Diner Member

Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

Post by enumbs »

Jonah wrote:Can someone explain why the Hawken tweet is definitely a joke? I'm not sure who he is and feel out of the loop - unless it's just that he said "it's weird" when most Lynch movies tend to be.
The humour derives from how incredibly generic the statements are. They are the kind of quotes you might hear from a local radio station, but nobody would actually say in everyday life. Another part of the joke is that these kinds of cliches are normally applied to mildly “quirky” comedies like Juno or Napoleon Dynamite, and feel pretty inappropriate when used to describe a Lynch film. It’s as though the author knows Lynch is regarded as “weird” but little else.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Thanks for explaining guys. I figured that might be it - but wanted to be sure. I'm out of the loop on a lot of things. "Lightyear" sounded intriguing until I found out what it was. Not knocking it but I expected all that buzz - yes, pun intended - to be about a very different kind of movie.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Ickles
RR Diner Member

Post by Ickles »

Histeria wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:06 pm
Ickles wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:05 pm Not to be a Debbie Downer and I'm not sure who Jesse Hawken is or the legitimacy of their "friend" but given the timeline and hush hush nature of this I am highly skeptical that anybody has seen it yet. Hell, it wouldn't surprise me if it's not actually even finished in post production quite yet. Unless this really has been in the can for a while collecting dust but I was under the impression that it's probably something still being worked on up until Cannes given the nature of motion picture post production (color correcting, audio mix, etc.)
You have to send your film when submitting it to festivals. Dozens of people have seen it.
I'm not sure Cannes works the same way as most festivals and certainly filmmakers on Lynch's level aren't "submitting" their films for consideration like a student film trying to crack the line-up. There's probably a working cut floating around but I wouldn't be surprised if Lynch is granted some time to deliver a final cut up until the last minute. Hell, I have friends who have submitted very rough cuts to festivals like Sundance, etc. and the stipulation is always "if accepted you have to deliver a final cut by such and such date."
David Lich
Roadhouse Member

Post by David Lich »

DougieJones wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:09 pm Now when I was told way back the info about two Lynch projects in the works. It was specifically that UN/Wisteria was an original project done in an Inland Empire type style. Also that it was going to be a movie. So if that’s true, then the other tidbit was that he was doing Twin Peaks Season 4 after, we shall see!
But that leaves the question of what were does 13 scripts Lynch copyrighted named "Unrecorded Night"
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Ickles wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:32 pm
Ickles wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:05 pm Not to be a Debbie Downer and I'm not sure who Jesse Hawken is or the legitimacy of their "friend" but given the timeline and hush hush nature of this I am highly skeptical that anybody has seen it yet. Hell, it wouldn't surprise me if it's not actually even finished in post production quite yet. Unless this really has been in the can for a while collecting dust but I was under the impression that it's probably something still being worked on up until Cannes given the nature of motion picture post production (color correcting, audio mix, etc.)
You have to send your film when submitting it to festivals. Dozens of people have seen it.
I'm not sure Cannes works the same way as most festivals and certainly filmmakers on Lynch's level aren't "submitting" their films for consideration like a student film trying to crack the line-up. There's probably a working cut floating around but I wouldn't be surprised if Lynch is granted some time to deliver a final cut up until the last minute. Hell, I have friends who have submitted very rough cuts to festivals like Sundance, etc. and the stipulation is always "if accepted you have to deliver a final cut by such and such date."
For your future reference, Cannes regulations for submission are published here
https://m.festival-cannes.com/en/partic ... -selection
Ickles
RR Diner Member

Post by Ickles »

Histeria wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:40 pm

I get that and I'm generally familiar with how film festivals work but I'm saying I'm not sure if filmmakers on the scale of Lynch (certainly with a brand new film making it's world premiere) are beholden to the same guidelines, deadlines and restrictions as the general filmmaking public.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Ickles wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:48 pm

I get that and I'm generally familiar with how film festivals work but I'm saying I'm not sure if filmmakers on the scale of Lynch (certainly with a brand new film making it's world premiere) are beholden to the same guidelines, deadlines and restrictions as the general filmmaking public.
I get where you're coming from--that a film may continue to be worked on after getting accepted, and a filmmaker such as Lynch may get in on name alone--but behind the scenes you hear about major filmmakers' latest works getting rejected by Cannes all the time. Now, if there's a new Lynch maybe they'd accept it sight unseen to appear out of competition, but I'm not sure. All I know is that usually, a film does have to pass a screening process to appear in competition, and plenty are rejected due to perceived low quality (or whatever) regardless of where they're set to appear. This info isn't usually immediately made public and sometimes remains rumor as it can be damaging to the film, but I know it happens.
Ickles
RR Diner Member

Post by Ickles »

LateReg wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:59 pm
Ickles wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:48 pm

I get where you're coming from--that a film may continue to be worked on after getting accepted, and a filmmaker such as Lynch may get in on name alone--but behind the scenes you hear about major filmmakers' latest works getting rejected by Cannes all the time. Now, if there's a new Lynch maybe they'd accept it sight unseen to appear out of competition, but I'm not sure. All I know is that usually, a film does have to pass a screening process to appear in competition, and plenty are rejected due to perceived low quality (or whatever) regardless of where they're set to appear. This info isn't usually immediately made public and sometimes remains rumor as it can be damaging to the film, but I know it happens.
This is all silly semantics at this point (in regards to a joke tweet nonetheless) but my original note was that some random friend of a film blogger on Twitter wouldn't have seen it yet, not the powers that be at Cannes (who would be very tightlipped). It's not that I don't think a single living soul has seen a frame of it but it's probably not widely available beyond a very select committee at Cannes and it's most likely not a final cut yet I would imagine.
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Post by Stavrogyn »

Do you think that it will be among the films announced on Thursday now that Variety has written about it even if that wasn't their original plan? (Maybe it was, who knows.)
All those years living the life of someone I didn't even know - Knight of Cups (2015)