Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Histeria
Great Northern Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

Post by Histeria »

I only just learned the main definition for "unrecorded" isn't "not filmed" but is actually "not written down or included in an official record"

Before Cooper was taken back to the night of February 23rd 1989, Phillip Jeffries says Gordon will "remember the unofficial version". And that Judy will be found in the unofficial version.

edit: oh shit. What's the best thread to discuss/analyse Judy or the utility pole?
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

Post by JackwithOneEye »

yeah. recording/ not recording seems like a Lynchian linguistic. Maybe not explicit in dialogue, but you do have Laura and the two diaries as recordings, Cooper's Diane tapes. a lot of rumination on the subjectivity of memory; Robert Blake and the video camera / the Fred character wanting to create his own specific version of what happened.

Back when Lynch was talking about doing the origin story of Maharishi Yogi doc, he wanted to get an interview with a 97 year old guy who had some stories that were "weren't so well recorded" about his early years he uses in his own verbiage.

https://movieweb.com/david-lynch-to-do- ... hesh-yogi/
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

Histeria wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 3:00 am
If anyone can find out which specific lots Twenties hired out at Calvert I suspect it'll be illuminating to compare them with UN's alleged lots.

Stage 2
NormoftheAndes
RR Diner Member

Post by NormoftheAndes »

Stavrogyn wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 8:34 am
eyeboogers wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:27 am Anyone who doesn't think that Lynch has a playfully trolling side should rewatch the french woman scene from TPTR.
I apologize for diverging from the main topic, but I never understood why is that scene so controversial. To me, it's not only funny but I was also completely charmed by that woman the moment she appeared onscreen; I very empathetically shared Cole's infatuation. But maybe that also has something to do with my inclination towards all things French.
'Fans' of Lynch here who claim he is a troll are being lazy. What Lynch has done going back to Eraserhead is have long scenes where nothing very much happens. There is a lot of that in The Return - to claim he is merely doing it to make some sort of in-joke with his audience or to do it at their expense is ignoring his love of, for instance, Jacques Tati. Its all part of a long tradition of absurdist theatre in Lynch's work. If you go back as far as something like The Alphabet, even that in its overall form is somewhat absurd and 'tedious' on the surface - after all, recalling the alphabet is in itself perhaps 'dull' and even pointless. However, Lynch's intent was not to merely showcase that aspect of the tedious nature of schooling and rigorous attachment to the rules of the classroom - the short could even be said to address issues like repression in children and the way in which traditional schooling shapes them into good little worker bees but doesn't encourage a sense of creativity or curiosity - resulting in underlying neurosis and a form of tension. I mean, this is the sort of area Lynch's Foundation and Transcendental Meditation is involved in partly, alongside serious issues like trauma, abuse and so on.

To suggest that all Lynch's intent is to troll is very moronic. His 'announcement' was something he wanted to make, but it was clear that he was told from somebody not to do so. After all, in 2020 there was supposed to be the Graceland event. Lynch is just one guy, he is not in control of the world of Twin Peaks as such even though some pretend he is.
Teetotaling and prayer. Their hands touch yours and mine.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I want to go back for a moment to my comment about not believing the weather reports are pre-recorded. In the early days of speculation on here, when a few people suggested such a thing (that Lynch might be pre-recording the reports), a lot of people shot that suggestion down. Back then, I was open to the possibility as it was part of the fun and intrigue of the speculation - i.e. is TP secretly being filmed? The takeaway of the discussions back then seemed to be that he was too devoted to his numbers and weather reports, that they were almost ritualistic for him, a routine that almost felt sacred, and as such he probably wouldn't allow himself - or feel his ritual allowed him - to fake it. Has the consensus changed on this?

Back in the day, it seemed pretty unanimous that it was something he wouldn't do but perhaps there were always a few people who thought it possible? Leaving aside the desire for more TP and the debate on whether or not he trolls, it still doesn't feel right to me - it's fun to think he might pre-record them and be off out shooting secretly somewhere, but I feel he wouldn't feel like it was accomplishing his routine properly? That it was cheating or taking a shortcut. This is the same director who would wait to see the "right" numbers on a license plate before shooting a scene so that in and of itself indicates he probably wouldn't take a shortcut on the weather reports.

All I'll say on the "trolling" is - I don't consider him a troll at all, but I do think he could have a touch of a playful side as evinced by the non-announcement announcement and other scenes in The Return (the woman in the car outside the diner felt almost like berating the viewer to slow down), but Norm offers an interesting perspective on that announcement - how he might have been told not to make it - that I hand't considered. So, I think he has perhaps a little bit of a playful side (but I think a better term than trolling is needed), but I wouldn't consider it an outright or blatant thing. And a lot of these things are often a matter of interpretation too. But for the most part, I'm staying out of the debate that is sure to ensue on this, but will be interested to read everyone's take!

Histeria - what are the voice notes you mentioned? I haven't followed the videos in a while and only ever saw a few here and there. And how do you know he does that?
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

NormoftheAndes wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:33 am
Stavrogyn wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 8:34 am
eyeboogers wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:27 am Anyone who doesn't think that Lynch has a playfully trolling side should rewatch the french woman scene from TPTR.
I apologize for diverging from the main topic, but I never understood why is that scene so controversial. To me, it's not only funny but I was also completely charmed by that woman the moment she appeared onscreen; I very empathetically shared Cole's infatuation. But maybe that also has something to do with my inclination towards all things French.
'Fans' of Lynch here who claim he is a troll are being lazy. What Lynch has done going back to Eraserhead is have long scenes where nothing very much happens. There is a lot of that in The Return - to claim he is merely doing it to make some sort of in-joke with his audience or to do it at their expense is ignoring his love of, for instance, Jacques Tati. Its all part of a long tradition of absurdist theatre in Lynch's work
Norm, I think you should rewatch the scene. The screenwriting engine (someone wants something, something is standing in their way) in the scene is that Albert urgently needs to speak to Cole - and the audience of course want to know what puzzle piece Albert is about to share with us. Albert's mission is hindered by the french woman without security clearance not departing and Cole's desire for her. The scene progresses with lots of eye rolling from Albert, Cole almost managing to get the woman to exit several times. Clearly Lynch/Frost are playing with the audiences (understandable) frustrated impatience in this and other scenes, it is not just mood enhanced by lingering. I like the scene just fine, but the theme of running out of time is important to TPTR, and this scene is an example where it is quite overt that the filmmakers are playfully trolling the audience.
DougieJones
RR Diner Member

Post by DougieJones »

FOUR days till Twin Peaks Day
Attachments
AD278BD1-545C-4E47-80D0-80C03D7FFA1A.jpeg
AD278BD1-545C-4E47-80D0-80C03D7FFA1A.jpeg (152.65 KiB) Viewed 5743 times
"Jade give two rides."
Ickles
RR Diner Member

Post by Ickles »

NormoftheAndes wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:33 am To suggest that all Lynch's intent is to troll is very moronic. His 'announcement' was something he wanted to make, but it was clear that he was told from somebody not to do so. After all, in 2020 there was supposed to be the Graceland event. Lynch is just one guy, he is not in control of the world of Twin Peaks as such even though some pretend he is.
Well said, Norm. I always thought the notion that Lynch purposefully "trolled" his fans with a non-announcement announcement was really weird and not very within David's character. It's one thing to have a scene in a film that subverts expectations but I don't imagine he'd be sitting around going "hey, you what would be a hoot? Tell people I have a major announcement and then just say my announcement is that nothing is really happening at all." It always had an air of "well, whatever this was going to be changed or something else is going on behind closed doors" to me.
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Post by Stavrogyn »

Ickles wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:18 am
NormoftheAndes wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:33 am To suggest that all Lynch's intent is to troll is very moronic. His 'announcement' was something he wanted to make, but it was clear that he was told from somebody not to do so. After all, in 2020 there was supposed to be the Graceland event. Lynch is just one guy, he is not in control of the world of Twin Peaks as such even though some pretend he is.
Well said, Norm. I always thought the notion that Lynch purposefully "trolled" his fans with a non-announcement announcement was really weird and not very within David's character. It's one thing to have a scene in a film that subverts expectations but I don't imagine he'd be sitting around going "hey, you what would be a hoot? Tell people I have a major announcement and then just say my announcement is that nothing is really happening at all." It always had an air of "well, whatever this was going to be changed or something else is going on behind closed doors" to me.
I agree. However, would he then simply lie about his announcement? It feels a bit out of character to me, but I guess it's possible. He did lie about not making any more Twin Peaks while he was writing season 3. I was even present at a Skype call with him in a theater in my hometown back in 2013, I think, where some guy asked him about season 3, and he didn't give an impression like that's even an option.
All those years living the life of someone I didn't even know - Knight of Cups (2015)
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I don't feel he was trolling per se. But I don't think there's a need for fans to fight about this as I think it's fairly easy to see both sides here.

The thing is the announcement came from Lynch's own camp right? It's not like Showtime or Netflix or someone put out an announcement that there would be news forthcoming, then the rug was pulled, leaving Lynch, Sabrina, etc. scrambling. It was their camp who said it, then followed through with no announcement. So, to be fair, I can see why fans were left disappointed and feeling like they were "trolled". It is certainly possible they had planned to announce something bigger but things changed. If so, that wasn't communicated very well and could have been clarified a bit better imo. They could have said "we had plans to announce something else but it's been delayed or we can't right now". I know people will say they couldn't say that as it would lead to speculation - but it did anyway. So I think it's understandable even if you don't agree with it why some people feel the way they do. But I agree with giving the benefit of the doubt. Honestly, I have no idea. I could see both reasons being viable. It's also quite possible that he considered the announcement he made worthy of an announcement - that he had planned to stop making the videos and thought people would be happy with an announcement that he'd keep making them. Or maybe that in itself was a clue that something fell through - that he'd planned to stop them to work on something, but would keep it going. Guess it's one of those things we'll never know unless someone comes out and clarifies and I don't think Sabrina tends to do that? And if she or Lynch don't want to that's fair enough too.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Last edited by Histeria on Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Damn I got up and have been pacing the house since opening that.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Welcome to the board, WB. How credible is that guy when he posts rumours? Haven't heard of him before.

Histeria, did you see my post on the previous page - I was curious what voice tags meant on YT and why you think Lynch uses them. I get it's like a command right like to Siri - a reminder thing? But not sure why you think Lynch uses them. Does he mention them in his videos? Not very up on this stuff, so might need a bit of explaining for it to make sense to me lol! Also curious if Lynch has done any with just voice without video. I think there was one strange one that made us all think something was up - but by the end of the day they were back to normal.
DougieJones
RR Diner Member

Post by DougieJones »

I just wanted to note that I messaged a fellow member of this board just before. I heard we were gonna hear something today.
"Jade give two rides."