Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

DougieJones
RR Diner Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

Post by DougieJones »

Sorry for posting old news! I went back to see if anyone posted it and somehow missed your post. For some reason when I look at the Rancho Rosa filings only three files show up.
Attachments
AC652B31-0D9F-485A-B47E-580BA07C0276.jpeg
AC652B31-0D9F-485A-B47E-580BA07C0276.jpeg (158.15 KiB) Viewed 4083 times
"Jade give two rides."
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

Post by Histeria »

Stavrogyn wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:44 amI forgot about that! Thank you, Histeria, for clarifying, you're always full of useful information :D

However, even though this is old news and doesn't necessarily mean anything, I still got my fix for the day, so I'm satisfied.
No worries! I added a bit more in an edit hoping to get it in before anyone noticed :mrgreen:

DougieJones and I are a bit more optimistic for more stories in the Twin Peaks universe than most, I think.
DougieJones wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:45 am Sorry for posting old news! I went back to see if anyone posted it and somehow missed your post. For some reason when I look at the Rancho Rosa filings only three files show up.
I presume the California SoS website only displays the latest No Change SI because they'd all be the same anyway. To see older ones you need to have either been tracking them previously or get them via outside sources and databases :mrgreen:
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Good to see this thread still chugging along!

When everyone was posting the Lynch/Spielberg news I was going to make a new topic in the DL forum and move the posts there - but people seem to prefer discussing new stuff here. (It might still be worth creating a separate thread over there for that movie though for archival purposes if anyone wants to as in the future if anyone is searching for those posts, it will be easier to find that news than when it inevitably gets lost in this very long thread as it continues to grow.)
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
DougieJones
RR Diner Member

Post by DougieJones »

I check this thread almost every day. I’m still pretty optimistic as Histeria put above about getting more TP. Something that is related to the DKL/Spielberg news that pertains this thread actually is that Steven Spielberg and his Amblin production company signed a deal with Netflix recently. I wonder if Steven could use his connections there to help get Lynch’s UN project back on track. However while I am optimistic about getting more TP I do think that UN can be deemed a casualty because of COVID. I think the lack of news on that front has made me feel that Lynch is moving on from it. Paramount Plus has been advertising Twin Peaks so CBS definitely still sees value in the property. I do believe that if Lynch wanted to do more TP they would do it just to have more properties on the streaming service alone.
"Jade give two rides."
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

I find it funny how completely silent things went for the last four months of 2021 (roughly matching the time we heard from canthaveit that the Netflix deal was off.

Not just the more overt teasing by Sabrina, but all the other little things that we debated were either pure coincidence or knowing reference also seem to have completely stopped since then. Whether that's actors, crew, journalists, and even the weather reports.

It used to be easy to draw wildly-optimistic links even when the likely scenario was pure coincidence. But even that dried up. There's not enough dubiously sourced content to even fill a post in our tongue-in-cheek Dr Amp conspiracy thread, let alone this one.

Not sure if that suggests they weren't coincidences, or it suggests they're now all careful to avoid coincidences being perceived as something else, or if it's just not wisteria (plant not series) blooming season yet.

The days of "How's Annie? Time will tell" seem long gone. We had weekly "bombshells" like that at one point. For me the best/frustrating/active/hopeful/pessimistic period was the slow David Lynch Theatre/SSSabrina ramp up from very loose and obscure references towards more overt ones during the course of the year.

That has kinda started again this January but let's see if it sees a similar ramp up in the coming months :mrgreen:

Edit: I agree with Dougie Jones that Unrecorded Night as it was developed at Netflix feels completely dead. If Lynch does another TV project it will be a seperate one.
DougieJones
RR Diner Member

Post by DougieJones »

Unrecorded Night’s budget would’ve had to been completely changed because of COVID protocols and the added costs from it. Netflix probably didn’t want to put out more money for the show and Lynch walked away.

I believe Unrecorded Night came from this interview from David in 2018. “Does he have any movie projects or more TV projects lined up?” follows with “I don’t. I have a box of ideas, and I’m working with producer Sabrina Sutherland, kind of trying to go through and see if there’s any gold in those boxes.”

In the next paragraph he talks about more TP. “Well, for right now, you could say I don’t want to talk about that”

This might be tangible proof that UN and TP were indeed two separate things. His quote about doing more TP gave me a good jolt.

https://deadline.com/2018/08/twin-peaks ... 202407985/
"Jade give two rides."
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

I've also come round to that idea with a caveat:

Unrecorded Night may well have been a seperate project to "Twin Peaks Season Four" but I still think at least some of it would have been set in the Twin Peaks universe.

Whether that's one or two Fire Walk With Me style anthology films set in the 1950s or, if the series was meant to be an anthology of unrealised/unrecorded David Lynch projects, that one of the 13 "mini movies" happened to be a Twin Peaks-related one.

I think a lot of us were iffy about the above prospect. I personally felt an anthology of unrelated films was too arbitrary at the time if one of them was for something still so fresh in the cultural zeitgeist.

However, I must admit it would have been fun if it was indeed seperate to a planned S4.

Imagine:

1. Club Silencio
2. Inland Empire spin-off
3. Ronnie Rocket
4. White Sands/Sarah Novak Diaries*
5. Elk's Club Fire: The Dougie Milford Conspiracy
6. Eraserhead: The Return
7. Goddess
8. A Saliva Bubble Sounds Like This
9. Metamorphosis
10. Antelope Don't Run No More
11. The Planet of The Corn
12. Netflix Interactive Presents: Woodcutters From Fiery Ships
13. Wisteria**

*lots of hints at 1950s setting plus Mordeen with similar.

**Mordeen also said at one point that it's possible Wisteria was the name of one entry rather than the whole thing but that it was still up in the air.
Last edited by Histeria on Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Post by Stavrogyn »

If Unrecorded Night was really happening, and is now really dead, and wasn't supposed to be connected to Twin Peaks in any way, I wouldn't be too sad if Lynch decided to make more Twin Peaks instead - which would, presumably, be a much safer investment commercially - and if he then reused elements from Unrecorded Night in season four. Let's just make the show even more experimental and strange!
All those years living the life of someone I didn't even know - Knight of Cups (2015)
DougieJones
RR Diner Member

Post by DougieJones »

Someone on the David Lynch subreddit I believed commented that they were told that Unrecorded Night was going to be about the passage of time. I wonder if it was going to be similar in vein to Hotel Room.

It’s very possible that Lynch decided to move on and incorporate it into TP4 if he really is working on it.

Those episode titles are great Histeria.
"Jade give two rides."
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Stavrogyn wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:16 am If Unrecorded Night was really happening, and is now really dead, and wasn't supposed to be connected to Twin Peaks in any way, I wouldn't be too sad if Lynch decided to make more Twin Peaks instead - which would, presumably, be a much safer investment commercially - and if he then reused elements from Unrecorded Night in season four. Let's just make the show even more experimental and strange!
I think it's interesting now how Frost's "it's too early to say" comments dovetail with the two projects being seperate thing. Perhaps they really were all in a holding position until he was done with the rare Netflix offer to finance his "box" of old unrealised scripts. Also goes with the canthaveit suggestion that they struggled to categorise Unrecorded Night for regulatory purposes because of how unique the format was and how rigorously standardised the procedure is for registering new productions.

However, if it was really 13 anthology films with 13 seperate production management regimes and 13 seperate casts, covid would render this a logistical impossibility, surely? Unlike S3 where they shot it as one big movie, I don't think you can really do that for 13 discreet narratives. Though there was a point last year where they were seemingly about to pull the trigger before pulling back again. I think it might have been the delta wave but not sure.

The next Mission Impossible movie's budget has ballooned to nearly $300m because of covid and it'll probably crack the top five most expensive films of all time by the time it's done. That's just one two hour film, not one of 13 two hour films.

My gut feeling atm is Netflix offered an opportunity he'd never get again to revisit his projects that got away (whether this includes TP segments or not). So when he said a S4 is potentially due in 2022 at the earliest, he said it expecting Unrecorded Night to have finished principle photography by the end of 2020. Then covid happened.

If there was a TP4 planned, it could be the reason why UN died instead of Netflix merely running out of patience. They're still desperate for content. Especially prestige content which they never expect to directly profit from anyway. For what other company does throwing $300m at The Irishman make sense?

OK maybe ViacomCBS throwing a billion dollars plus production costs at Unrecorded South Park. Issue there is if TP were to continue on Showtime over the sister-site P+, SHO don't seem to be throwing the insane Paramount+ money around. Can you even imagine what Lynch and Frost would do with a billion dollars for 13 feature-length episodes of Twin Peaks? :mrgreen:
DougieJones
RR Diner Member

Post by DougieJones »

Yeah I think Lynch and Frost are game for S4 and Lynch wanted to do UN first. Now with it in limbo at Netflix it’s possible they’re instead working on it now and then Lynch could always pick it up after TP. That could also explain why we don’t know if it’s cancelled or just delayed. I could see them doing a format where TP airs on Showtime then gets put on Paramount Plus at the same time like with HBOMax.
"Jade give two rides."
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Yeah maybe try to spark an intra-conglomerate bidding war :mrgreen:

Right now you have to subscribe to two seperate ViacomCBS services to get all three seasons of TP. So it doesn't seem to matter much if it's then split 3:1 for P+. Still think they should share the whole thing with each other or at least let SHO list S1+2 on their service too so people know where to look.
DougieJones
RR Diner Member

Post by DougieJones »

:) ALL
"Jade give two rides."
DougieJones
RR Diner Member

Post by DougieJones »

I’m pretty sure I can get this thread pretty active with what I just heard.

Side note: this isn’t speculative, I’ve just been told something definitive that I will share in a bit.
"Jade give two rides."
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Is it an owl? Is it a yellow Piper PA-18 Super Club plane? Is it a four-stage rocket?
Last edited by Histeria on Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.