Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by Agent Earle »

TwinsPeak wrote: I do enjoy how you go against the grain Agent Earle. But you ruin your argument of how we know next to nothing about a rumor that Lynch has an upcoming project with saying Lynch has one foot in grave and is trying to stay relevant.
Erm, maybe he's bored? :)

To continue the speculation as to what Lynch actually did yesterday, here's Variety's two cents on it: https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/david- ... 234897322/
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Post by Stavrogyn »

It all boils down to this: what exactly is the reason he wanted to stop? Why would he consider stopping with the weather reports "a big announcement"? In relation to what? And why would the fact that he nevertheless decided to continue in any way mean that the thing that almost caused him to stop is not going forward as well?

Call me a fool, but to me, this, combined with the Production Weekly info, is a semi-confirmation of something happening and is getting my hopes up even more.
All those years living the life of someone I didn't even know - Knight of Cups (2015)
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Stavrogyn wrote:It all boils down to this: what exactly is the reason he wanted to stop? Why would he consider stopping with the weather reports "a big announcement"? In relation to what? And why would the fact that he nevertheless decided to continue in any way mean that the thing that almost caused him to stop is not going forward as well?
Yeah, that is the crucial dilemma, I'd say. But - to continue on an unpopular trajectory - why do we assume his wish to terminate the YT activity was work-related? Maybe it's to do with health issues...
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Agent Earle wrote:
Stavrogyn wrote:It all boils down to this: what exactly is the reason he wanted to stop? Why would he consider stopping with the weather reports "a big announcement"? In relation to what? And why would the fact that he nevertheless decided to continue in any way mean that the thing that almost caused him to stop is not going forward as well?
Yeah, that is the crucial dilemma, I'd say. But - to continue on an unpopular trajectory - why do we assume his wish to terminate the YT activity was work-related? Maybe it's to do with health issues...
As others have said, Production Weekly is legit. So while it's fun to assume/hope he's stepping away for work related issues, the only reason I would assume that is because there is something slated to be shot in May, according to the one source that logs all that information. You know that this is true, right? I promise we're not all making it up, lol.

There are also the contracts that were dug up for some 13 episodes of copyrights that were filed earlier this year. It's true that we don't know anything about them other than that Lynch filed them, but we have seen them, and they are for a 13 episode scripted work. Plus, Lynch himself said that he would have been working on a film or series if not for Covid. So unless you're going to pull the "he's senile" card, this all checks out...imo.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

LateReg wrote:
Agent Earle wrote:
As others have said, Production Weekly is legit. So while it's fun to assume/hope he's stepping away for work related issues, the only reason I would assume that is because there is something slated to be shot in May, according to the one source that logs all that information. You know that this is true, right? I promise we're not all making it up, lol.

There are also the contracts that were dug up for some 13 episodes of copyrights that were filed earlier this year. It's true that we don't know anything about them other than that Lynch filed them, but we have seen them, and they are for a 13 episode scripted work. Plus, Lynch himself said that he would have been working on a film or series if not for Covid. So unless you're going to pull the "he's senile" card, this all checks out...imo.
To get conspiratorial, what if he filed those copyright applications and reserved studio space merely as one massive troll to trick us all into thinking he’s working on something? Because, you know...UNRECORDED Night. ;)
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Post by Stavrogyn »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
LateReg wrote:
Agent Earle wrote:

To get conspiratorial, what if he filed those copyright applications and reserved studio space merely as one massive troll to trick us all into thinking he’s working on something? Because, you know...UNRECORDED Night. ;)
Well that would be pure art, even beyond film as such, a pure artistic achievement without any unnecessary supplement of matter!
All those years living the life of someone I didn't even know - Knight of Cups (2015)
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Stavrogyn wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:
LateReg wrote:

Well that would be pure art, even beyond film as such, a pure artistic achievement without any unnecessary supplement of matter!
Or...he's senile! :D
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

Agent Earle wrote:
To continue the speculation as to what Lynch actually did yesterday, here's Variety's two cents on it: https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/david- ... 234897322/
At least the Variety writer got paid to watch that announcement :D
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

He'd have to be pretty dang sick to not even be able to run a vlog from the comforts of his own house. I imagine him doing his very last weather report on his deathbed. Geez, that would actually be the most sad, beautiful and strange thing to witness. We'd all be crying and collectively eating our hearts out.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Post by Stavrogyn »

Soolsma wrote:He'd have to be pretty dang sick to not even be able to run a vlog from the comforts of his own house. I imagine him doing his very last weather report on his deathbed. Geez, that would actually be the most sad, beautiful and strange thing to witness. We'd all be crying and collectively eating our hearts out.
Maybe we were all blind all along, hoping and praying for a new season of a high-budget mainstream series with an A-list cast, while the real magnum opus was rolling out all this time before our eyes, every day for almost a year now... And to think we were wondering why ending it would be worthy of "a big announcement" :(
Dougie Cooper
Roadhouse Member

Post by Dougie Cooper »

I'm a little late to this topic, but I'm also a little puzzled by the responses I've seen online. It appears David Lynch said a couple of days ago -- and I quote -- “Not today, but tomorrow, I will have an announcement to make. Should be going up to 69 degrees Fahrenheit this afternoon, around 21 Celsius, and it looks like we’re gonna have clouds all along the way. Everyone have a great day.”

So there never was a "big" announcement coming. And from what I can tell, he just wanted to let the fans of his weather report know that he was discontinuing the report. It was a courtesy, instead of simply disappearing and no longer putting the report out there.

During this announcement (perhaps before?), he decided to continue the reports as he felt the fandom wanted the reports to continue. In other words he appreciated the devotion.

And finally, I'm not sure what anyone expected him to say about the upcoming series anyway. We know that it's scheduled to start filming in May, we know what the title is likely to be. We know a few other things as well. Did people really expect Lynch to come out and say "hey everyone, this is going to be the story and here's how it will play out?"

Maybe there's something I missed, but from what I've seen the words "troll" or "trolling" would not seem applicable.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Again: I don't know what anyone else thinks they're seeing, but I see no evidence that Lynch is clearly ill or infirm. He seems like his usual self to me.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
NormoftheAndes
RR Diner Member

Post by NormoftheAndes »

Soolsma wrote:He'd have to be pretty dang sick to not even be able to run a vlog from the comforts of his own house. I imagine him doing his very last weather report on his deathbed. Geez, that would actually be the most sad, beautiful and strange thing to witness. We'd all be crying and collectively eating our hearts out.
This is just callous.
Teetotaling and prayer. Their hands touch yours and mine.
Rainwater
RR Diner Member

Post by Rainwater »

I think weight loss automatically being considered a sign of declining health might be an American thing.

Anyway, the health gossip really is getting obnoxious at this point.
I'll see you in the trees
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Dougie Cooper wrote:
And finally, I'm not sure what anyone expected him to say about the upcoming series anyway. We know that it's scheduled to start filming in May, we know what the title is likely to be. We know a few other things as well. Did people really expect Lynch to come out and say "hey everyone, this is going to be the story and here's how it will play out?"
Exactly, people’s expectations puzzle me. In no world were we going to get any information we didn’t already have. It would have been nice, but also anticlimactic, to hear from his own lips that what we all know is true, is true. But what we got instead was funny and sweet and I liked it. He’ll annouce Unrecorded Night when he feels like it.