Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Rainwater
RR Diner Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by Rainwater »

Alright. Heh. I guess for now we'll just have to imagine the reasons why he was planning to take a break.
I'll see you in the trees
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

TwinsPeak wrote:I agree there's good news in his almost break from the weather. (I think most of us caught that ) And I like his youtube channel. But i wanted alot more from this announcement. Fake announcements just makes it worse.

I still blame HHM for getting my hopes up so long ago that now I'm just ravenous for new Twin Peaks.
I'm pretty exhausted by fake announcements in general. It's just such an old gag. And, I think part of it is because I follow video game news where the 'oh, this announcement is actually nothing' thing happens .. well, constantly (though sometimes it's more of a slap in the face, like, 'big announcement!' by a studio clearly working on a massive game .. and they spend the day announcing merchandise). It just costs nothing to troll fans like that, y'know. Now, if Lynch called a massive press conference and had reporters from all over the world there (*covid aside, but, you get my thought process*), and said the same thing .. now *that* would be hilarious. Here it's just like .. 'well, thanks for wasting my time I guess, even if the message is sweet'. Maybe that's fan entitlement or something, I don't think it makes Lynch a dick or anything. It's just, y'know, tired. Unless he's somehow so insulated that he really doesn't know anything about any of the rumours flying around, which, y'know, I don't know Lynch, so, maybe that's the case.
Rainwater
RR Diner Member

Post by Rainwater »

I've always thought that Lynch doesn't ever deliberately seek to troll people, through his art or otherwise. He's just not that kinda guy, even though a lot of people seem to believe he is. Whatever's going on, I don't think his intent here was to troll anyone.
boske
Great Northern Member

Post by boske »

I am not following his YT channel, but from I just read here, it appears that nothing has really happened. Having gone through S3, I think I have become immune to such things from DKL. As one wise man once said "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, uh, won't get fooled again!" ;-)
Last edited by boske on Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Rainwater wrote:I've always thought that Lynch doesn't ever deliberately seek to troll people, through his art or otherwise. He's just not that kinda guy, even though a lot of people seem to believe he is. Whatever's going on, I don't think his intent here was to troll anyone.
Same.
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

Rainwater wrote:I've always thought that Lynch doesn't ever deliberately seek to troll people, through his art or otherwise. He's just not that kinda guy, even though a lot of people seem to believe he is. Whatever's going on, I don't think his intent here was to troll anyone.
Eh. The idea that Lynch might not get a smirk out of the idea of there being national coverage of his announcement of his announcement to stop doing a weather report .. is .. well, it seems painfully optimistic. As I said, it doesn't make him a bad person, it's not even a bad quality. But, he's also not Buddha himself, y'know? I'm sure he has fun sometimes. I'm sure at some point, during the sweeping section of the Roadhouse, he has a laugh at just how dang long it is, even if it does appeal to him for artistic purposes. I mean, I don't think he's that out of touch with every other human being on the planet or even just the human quality of practical jokes.

I unno, maybe it's just the strength of his imagine control that other people see that as a possibility that every move he makes is 100% earnest and never tongue-in-cheek. But, I'm like .. just the tiniest hair more cynical?
ringbearer
Roadhouse Member

Post by ringbearer »

Eh. The idea that Lynch might not get a smirk out of the idea of there being national coverage of his announcement of his announcement to stop doing a weather report .. is .. well, it seems painfully optimistic. As I said, it doesn't make him a bad person, it's not even a bad quality. But, he's also not Buddha himself, y'know? I'm sure he has fun sometimes. I'm sure at some point, during the sweeping section of the Roadhouse, he has a laugh at just how dang long it is, even if it does appeal to him for artistic purposes. I mean, I don't think he's that out of touch with every other human being on the planet or even just the human quality of practical jokes.

I unno, maybe it's just the strength of his imagine control that other people see that as a possibility that every move he makes is 100% earnest and never tongue-in-cheek. But, I'm like .. just the tiniest hair more cynical?

100%
"I like to remember things my own way." Fred Madison
Rainwater
RR Diner Member

Post by Rainwater »

Well, I didn't say he never does anything tongue-in-cheek, or that he doesn't see the humor in certain things. Of course he does. There's a lot of playfulness in his work and he has a great sense of humor. I just said that he doesn't seek to troll his audience, and I stand by that. I've never seen evidence to the contrary.
ringbearer
Roadhouse Member

Post by ringbearer »

There's a lot of playfulness in his work and he has a great sense of humor. I just said that he doesn't seek to troll his audience, and I stand by that. I've never seen evidence to the contrary.
There is a pretty famous video of him trolling a live audience at Festival of Disruption. Yes, it was playful and harmless!

It was trolling though :)
"I like to remember things my own way." Fred Madison
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

ringbearer wrote:
There's a lot of playfulness in his work and he has a great sense of humor. I just said that he doesn't seek to troll his audience, and I stand by that. I've never seen evidence to the contrary.
There is a pretty famous video of him trolling a live audience at Festival of Disruption. Yes, it was playful and harmless!

Depends on one's tolerance of the term I suppose. I despise the term and its use, but whatever. That may be on me, but I don't see what Lynch does as trolling.

If he announced today that he would not be doing the weather reports anymore, I would not consider that trolling. I would consider that to be his announcement, which would allow fans to speculate as to why. Playful, as we all agree. So by changing his mind and announcing that he was going to stop but now isn't doesn't really change anything for me. I can still speculate why that is and leave it at that. I can feel disappointed and even played with. But I don't feel trolled. I don't sense it being a troll for troll's sake, which is what trolling, to me, is.

I obviously agree that Lynch had some fun with certain aspects of the long takes and waiting game of The Return, but I don't believe trolling is ever the correct word for that, either. That's just my opinion of the term and the deeper mechanisms at play in the art itself.
Metalane

Post by Metalane »

Welp, that was fun! I still think we'll hear (or maybe they'll unfortunately be a leak) confirmation for Unrecorded Night before they're set to shoot in May. I'm guessing it'll be announced on his YT channel, but seperate from his weather report (as well as his Twitter account). Now, this may be a silly thought, but I wonder if continuing his two daily videos will interfere with pre-production at all. Likely not though, as he's consciously chosen to make this decision. I just hope he doesn't feel obligated to do it or maybe even obligated to do fan-service for Unrecorded Night (unlike The Return which had very little fan-service).

Honestly, from a production standpoint, the thing I'm most interested in right now is how the project will be filmed. Will it be shot like a feature film akin to The Return, or on an episodic basis? Is it really 13 hours? Or will each episode/part be longer than an hour? Who knows.
ManBehindWinkies
Roadhouse Member

Post by ManBehindWinkies »

LOL, this is like a PR version of the sweeping scene from Season 3. Lynch just messing with people who have expectations.
NormoftheAndes
RR Diner Member

Post by NormoftheAndes »

LateReg wrote:
ringbearer wrote:

Depends on one's tolerance of the term I suppose. I despise the term and its use, but whatever. That may be on me, but I don't see what Lynch does as trolling.

If he announced today that he would not be doing the weather reports anymore, I would not consider that trolling. I would consider that to be his announcement, which would allow fans to speculate as to why. Playful, as we all agree. So by changing his mind and announcing that he was going to stop but now isn't doesn't really change anything for me. I can still speculate why that is and leave it at that. I can feel disappointed and even played with. But I don't feel trolled. I don't sense it being a troll for troll's sake, which is what trolling, to me, is.

I obviously agree that Lynch had some fun with certain aspects of the long takes and waiting game of The Return, but I don't believe trolling is ever the correct word for that, either. That's just my opinion of the term and the deeper mechanisms at play in the art itself.
Agree with you completely. Trolling is an online method of creating arguments by baiting people in chats or discussions on pages like Facebook. People could troll here on a message board of course.

Lynch's sensibility and humour is remarkably straightforward and transparent. This Weather Report announcement in itself is a strange platform for such a thing and then, it's bizarre to realistically expect him to transfer major news via a 90 second video. Anyone can see he does give out a few clues and inferences in his wording and choice of music mentions etc though.
Teetotaling and prayer. Their hands touch yours and mine.
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

NormoftheAndes wrote: it's bizarre to realistically expect him to transfer major news via a 90 second video.
As demonstrated a few pages back, a 90 second video is exactly how the past couple of Lynch projects have been announced.
NormoftheAndes
RR Diner Member

Post by NormoftheAndes »

eyeboogers wrote:
NormoftheAndes wrote: it's bizarre to realistically expect him to transfer major news via a 90 second video.
As demonstrated a few pages back, a 90 second video is exactly how the past couple of Lynch projects have been announced.
True - it would be a bit haphazard to have a major announcement on a Weather Report though, is what I meant.
Teetotaling and prayer. Their hands touch yours and mine.