Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by krishnanspace »

Happy New Year guys!!! Hope we get a season 4!!
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

krishnanspace wrote:Happy New Year guys!!! Hope we get a season 4!!
There are plenty of reasons to hate Netflix, but I'm not interested in talking about them. I will say that cancelling The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance, after it won an Emmy no less, is reason enough to hate them.
krishnanspace wrote:Happy New Year guys!!! Hope we get a season 4!!
Happy New Year! 2020 is a year that will go down in infamy. I sincerely hope and pray that 2021 is a drastic improvement.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Jasper wrote:There are plenty of reasons to hate Netflix, but I'm not interested in talking about them. I will say that cancelling The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance, after it won an Emmy no less, is reason enough to hate them.
I can sympathize, but I’ve seen so many favorite TV series and comic book series canceled before their time that I can’t find it in me to get mad about it anymore. As Michael Corleone said, it’s not personal, it’s strictly business. HBO prematurely canceled my beloved Carnivàle, but that won’t stop my undying gratitude to them for subsequently producing three seasons of The Leftovers. I have no illusions about the fact that Netflix’s bottom line is to make money, but if some great art gets made as a side effect, then it’s cause for celebration. That’s the way the entertainment industry works.

Happy New Year to Jasper, and to everyone!
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

One more thing about Netflix that excites me is the show would be in 4K with Dolby vision and having recently bought an Oled Tv with Dolby Vision, I can say whatever Lynch films will look amazing
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

Soolsma wrote:^- It's yrev, very good to see you again, old friend. :)

So Mordeen, Peaks or no Peaks?
You too buddy.

And since we're going with quotes from The Return, "the conversation around the dinner table is lively."

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

Jonah wrote:
Mordeen wrote:In 1995 through 1998 California enacted the strictest anti-smoking laws in America, banning nearly all indoor smoking, with few exceptions.

However, like any workplace regulation, enforcement requires reporting, and if nobody complained. . .

- Mordeen
Soolsma wrote:^- It's yrev, very good to see you again, old friend. :)

So Mordeen, Peaks or no Peaks?
I think we're all anxiously awaiting this response from you now lol, Mordeen - and good point about California.
Hah, you flatter me.

I'm trying to determine if the question posed is one speaking to whether I want new Twin Peaks, or if I might be aware if there's going to be new Twin Peaks.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Mordeen wrote:And since we're going with quotes from The Return, "the conversation around the dinner table is lively."

-Mordeen
Mordeen wrote: I'm trying to determine if the question posed is one speaking to whether I want new Twin Peaks, or if I might be aware if there's going to be new Twin Peaks.

-Mordeen
Nicely done. On both counts. :D :wink:
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

Jonah wrote:Yeah or maybe the scene with Coop and Diane outside the red room. Maybe that was actually filmed outside but I think the trees and the puddle had a sort of heightened, artificial look.
(Even the Marnie scenes sort of worked in a surreal way, highlighting her alienation.)
Lynch did, in fact, shoot scenes for The Return at the Glastonberry Grove location in Franklin Canyon Park that he used in the original series and FFWM.

The indentation for the hole they dug to represent the gateway was still present after all those years when The Return went into production (I posted pictures from there at that time). The Sycamores were prop trees. If this picture was one of the exteriors from there for The Return and not from the sets in Van Nuys, then the punched out look might be lighting plus post-production enhancement.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

"It's all recorded. No hay banda! It's all a tape." - Mulholland Drive
Attachments
1-b2SwopfWYDfVPgrOp4VRvg.jpeg
1-b2SwopfWYDfVPgrOp4VRvg.jpeg (64.1 KiB) Viewed 6705 times
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Jerry Horne wrote:"It's all recorded. No hay banda! It's all a tape." - Mulholland Drive
Interesting observation about recordings vis-à-vis "Unrecorded Night."

It was Dugpa, I think, who mentioned to Lynch the theory of Ronette and Laura being in MD, and to that Lynch replied that it was, "your imagination."

The brunette never looked much like Phoebe Augustine (Ronette) to me, but the blonde sure looks a lot like Sheryl Lee.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Jasper wrote:
Jerry Horne wrote:"It's all recorded. No hay banda! It's all a tape." - Mulholland Drive
Interesting observation about recordings vis-à-vis "Unrecorded Night."

It was Dugpa, I think, who mentioned to Lynch the theory of Ronette and Laura being in MD, and to that Lynch replied that it was, "your imagination."

The brunette never looked much like Phoebe Augustine (Ronette) to me, but the blonde sure looks a lot like Sheryl Lee.
That’s my recollection as well, except that it was John Neff—who is in Lynch’s inner circle—who denied it, not Lynch himself. And I 100% agree. The brunette is clearly not Phoebe Augustine, but the blonde does really look like Sheryl.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

It's funny. Half the people that comment on this think it looks like Sheryl Lee but not Pheobe A.. The other half think the opposite. Apparently Sheryl Lee was asked about this in a podcast two years ago. She said she really doesn’t think it’s her, but that since she’s done a lot of things she doesn’t remember, it’s possible.

I mean it's possible? Not really a denial.

I mean I have no idea if there is a thing called Unrecorded Night or what it may be about.

I do however think that Lynch had Lee and Augustine in MD or at least two actors that looked like them. Like the monkey who said Judy in FWWM, I think Lynch likes leaving small breadcrumbs for him to possibly pick up on later.

Is it likely? Probably not, but who knows.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I thought this discussion seemed familiar: http://www.dugpa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1208 - (this is what I remembered, John Neff weighs in there, but Google also points to other discussions so a lot of people have certainly noticed the similarity if that's what Lynch was going for).

My take - both women bear more then a slight overall resemblance to Laura and Ronette so I could see Lynch having them in the scene for that purpose. But are they the actual actors? I don't think so. The blonde looks a little like Sheryl Lee in the face, but I don't think it's her. The brunette's facial features look nothing like Phoebe Augustine to me, and I definitely don't think it's her, but someone should ask her at the next convention. It is (or was when I posted this) on her IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0041935 - but anyone can add anything to that.
Last edited by Jonah on Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Lynch definitely answered. I did a little search and it was the first result, in a post Dugpa made on April 2, 2002. (Holy smokes, that's ALMOST TWENTY YEARS AGO!)

https://dugpa.com/2002/04/09/mulholland-drive-mystery/

Here's part of it:
I asked Lynch in his chat room. Here is his response:

dugpa_ [8:01 PM PST]: In the Club Silencio Scene sitting in the theater, on the left side of the screen there is a lady that looks a lot like Sheryl Lee. Was that just my imagination ?

DAVIDLYNCH [8:01 PM PST]: YOUR IMAGINATION DUGPA

However you will note that my memory didn’t server me correctly, as I asked about the left side of the screen, and not the right.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I'm still not convinced that's Sheryl Lee but have to admit the side by side photos on that page make the facial similarity stronger.

Phoebe Augustine has completely different facial features than the brunette, though, imo.