Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

eyeboogers wrote:So what do you make of Kyle's instagram post? :D
He’s home for the holidays maybe and was in the neighborhood? I know he grew up in the area. Both his parents are deceased, but maybe he was visiting other family?
FormicaTable
Roadhouse Member

Post by FormicaTable »

Clearly, he is there because IT IS HAPPENING AGAIN.

:mrgreen:
NormoftheAndes
RR Diner Member

Post by NormoftheAndes »

FormicaTable wrote:Clearly, he is there because IT IS HAPPENING AGAIN.

:mrgreen:
Of course Kyle could have been in the Twin Peaks location over any time in the last year, right - and made this little video?

However, that he posts it now certainly seems like a tease.
Teetotaling and prayer. Their hands touch yours and mine.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

He also posted a lot of TP-related content on Twitter on Christmas Day. Seems it was a contest he was running. I imagine he's aware of the Netflix rumours. But he's also posted a lot of TP content before, so idk.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

For anyone wondering what we're talking about, here's the link to the video: https://www.instagram.com/p/CJRyqMPJp7b/

The little wink at the end makes me think a game might be afoot.

Edit -

And here's the Twitter stuff:
https://twitter.com/Kyle_MacLachlan/sta ... 3337879552
Last edited by Jonah on Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

Kyle posts so much TP stuff all the time, that I refuse to read anything special into it.
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

Panapaok wrote:Yeah, Ray and Glazer are probably involved. They always work with Lynch. The same for Hurley and Eng, although I think this info isn't too reliable. This is still in early stages of pre-production, why would they already hire people for post-production?

Anyway, I wonder if Lynch manages to bring Jack Fisk on board this time. I remember he wanted him for The Return as well, but he was in Canada working on The Revenant at the time.
God I'd love for Lynch to work with Fisk again. Same with Fred Elmes!!
Peter-H

Post by Peter-H »

One of the main reasons I don't think the new show is related to Twin Peaks is that I don't think it would make financial sense. The audience for a 4th season would be limited not just because the ratings for season 3 weren't great, but also because it will be hard for newcomers to get into -- you will have had to have watched 3 seasons and a movie to understand it. I imagine Netflix would rather fund a new show that can bring in a new audience.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Peter-H wrote:One of the main reasons I don't think the new show is related to Twin Peaks is that I don't think it would make financial sense. The audience for a 4th season would be limited not just because the ratings for season 3 weren't great, but also because it will be hard for newcomers to get into -- you will have had to have watched 3 seasons and a movie to understand it. I imagine Netflix would rather fund a new show that can bring in a new audience.
Hi. Welcome to the board. I see your point but I think "Twin Peaks" as a brand would have more draw than "New David Lynch Original Series" (though that would still have draw). I'm not sure it is going to be new TP, though. I'm hopeful it will be, but also inclined to think it will be something new.

Maybe it's going to be Twin Peaks in small letters, UNRECORDED NIGHT in big ones - a new series set in the same universe, the series (or maybe just the first episode) featuring Richard and Carrie exploring a new world, with Audrey also popping up, then branching off into a load of new, abstract stories. (One of the pics Kyle selected on Twitter had just the three of them with Lynch lol.)
Attachments
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (875.65 KiB) Viewed 5593 times
madeleineferguson
RR Diner Member

Post by madeleineferguson »

I feel like we're all just going to have to sit tight for a little while. The virus in California is completely out of control. As of yesterday, the state with the highest number of daily reported cases in the country. It is not the time to be announcing or celebrating anything, especially in Los Angeles. I hope Lynch is hermiting like it's his job, and staying healthy.

I'm now pinning my hopes for an announcement on February 24 @ 11:30am PST.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Here's two more tiny things that may mean nothing, courtesy of @fatecolossal again (I enjoy the speculation). It shows at the very least the cast is aware of the new show and the rumours.
EqRhWswXEAg0f5h.jpg
EqRhWswXEAg0f5h.jpg (17.72 KiB) Viewed 5332 times
EqRhcCuXcAIML5z.jpg
EqRhcCuXcAIML5z.jpg (101.91 KiB) Viewed 5332 times
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

Jonah wrote:Here's two more tiny things that may mean nothing, courtesy of @fatecolossal again (I enjoy the speculation). It shows at the very least the cast is aware of the new show and the rumours.

EqRhWswXEAg0f5h.jpgEqRhcCuXcAIML5z.jpg
I will say it is curious to see them posting about a not officially announced project.

Not sure whether that means they're more likely to be in it (they're aware it's happening and feel comfortable about teasing it loosely and/or have Lynch's personal blessing to do so) or less likely (they aren't under NDAs and/or haven't been contacted yet: castings for The Return came pretty late, or they're just expressing excitement at hearing Lynch is working on something new). It's just unusual in every direction, as actors tend to be well practiced in ignoring the existence of rumours/unannounced projects.

Just unusual is all. To me it obviously just continues to re-confirm what we already know (that whatever the show is, it's obviously real and happening).

I always felt a S4 could be it's own thing aside from needing Maclachlan, Lee and possibly Dern (depending on where she ended up in that world), but, damn if Ashbrook wasn't a highlight of the Return and I would love to see Bobby again ..

Also, I really do feel like, even if it wasn't Peaks itself, there was probably an announcement meant for that Graceland event. The timing lines up, and we've seen that Lynch isn't ignorant of the fans (even if he doesn't go out of his way to cater to them) with how he specifically called Ashbrook and Lee to let them know they were in the Return and to tell fans at .. was it Twin Peaks Fest UK?

Exciting times though. Still really hoping it's Peaks as I just find it the best thing to hang Lynch's insanity on. But, what will be will be. Do hope they can just officially announce the bloody thing and confirm if it's Peaks, Peaks adjacent, or it's own thing, just so we can set our expectations properly (though there is something to be said for a 'Split is actually an Unbreakable sequel!?!?' type surprise).
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Rudagger wrote:
Jonah wrote:Here's two more tiny things that may mean nothing, courtesy of @fatecolossal again (I enjoy the speculation). It shows at the very least the cast is aware of the new show and the rumours.

EqRhWswXEAg0f5h.jpgEqRhcCuXcAIML5z.jpg
I will say it is curious to see them posting about a not officially announced project.

Not sure whether that means they're more likely to be in it (they're aware it's happening and feel comfortable about teasing it loosely and/or have Lynch's personal blessing to do so) or less likely (they aren't under NDAs and/or haven't been contacted yet: castings for The Return came pretty late, or they're just expressing excitement at hearing Lynch is working on something new). It's just unusual in every direction, as actors tend to be well practiced in ignoring the existence of rumours/unannounced projects.

Just unusual is all. To me it obviously just continues to re-confirm what we already know (that whatever the show is, it's obviously real and happening).
Just to clarify - they're not posting it, just liking other people's comments, which could be construed as teasing I suppose but if so in a much more subtle way. It shows they're aware of the new show and the rumours.
BGate
RR Diner Member

Post by BGate »

keep in mind that all of these folks, in addition to being members of TP world, are also just fans of Lynch in general as we all are.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

BGate wrote:keep in mind that all of these folks, in addition to being members of TP world, are also just fans of Lynch in general as we all are.
I was thinking this too. In addition to being excited to see a new Lynch project (as we all are), they have the added potential benefit that maybe he’ll cast them! They may be just as clueless and enthusiastic as the rest of us.