Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Jonah
Global Moderator

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by Jonah »

According to @fatecolossal, other names are beginning to get attached to Unrecorded Night via IMDB (not reliable).

Johanna Ray - casting director
Dean Hurley - Music Supervisor
Ronald Eng - re-recording mixer / sound supervisor
Cori Glazer - script supervisor

(I guess these could be added by people in the know or just fans assuming they will be involved, as they are on most Lynch projects.)

@fatecolossal - "No further clarity yet on why Production Weekly no longer lists it as a Netflix project."
Last edited by Jonah on Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

I’d be shocked if Ray, Glazer and Hurley weren’t involved no matter what the project is, so not very interesting news. And yes, also a highly suspect source.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Regarding Mark Frost saying he's not involved, if PW had incorrectly put Netflix down instead of Showtime and if this is TP, would he have responded that way if asked about a DL Netflix project?
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Did Lynch wish frost on his birthday on his YouTube channel? I mean he usually wishes other people, so I was just wondering about it
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

krishnanspace wrote:Did Lynch wish frost on his birthday on his YouTube channel? I mean he usually wishes other people, so I was just wondering about it
No
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Do you think that's significant?
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Jonah wrote:Do you think that's significant?
No. I think the weather reports are completely idiosyncratic, and I never read much into them, as much as I enjoy them.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Also what happened to the rumours about something being announced at Graceland? BTW do you guys think that if Wisteria doesn’t turn out to be Twin peaks , will there be chances for Twin peaks in the future? I mean considering that it would be in production in 2021 and would release in 2022. Will there be a future for Twin peaks after 2022.
Lol 2022 feels like something in the far future while typing but it’s only like 370 days away!
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

Yeah, Ray and Glazer are probably involved. They always work with Lynch. The same for Hurley and Eng, although I think this info isn't too reliable. This is still in early stages of pre-production, why would they already hire people for post-production?

Anyway, I wonder if Lynch manages to bring Jack Fisk on board this time. I remember he wanted him for The Return as well, but he was in Canada working on The Revenant at the time.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

krishnanspace wrote:Also what happened to the rumours about something being announced at Graceland?
that was mostly Obnoxious and Anonymous spreading rumors about graceland announcement to get clicks and traffic to to the you tube channel, he was spouting all kinds of nonsense at the time that Lynch might do a Fathom event and cut down the Return to 2 hours and release in theaters at the time, mostly stuff he makes up and conjectures about, and then it spirals around every corner of the internet.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

@fatecolossal
Because Production Weekly no longer lists David Lynch’s new proj. as a Netflix one, I DMed the Reddit user who, back in Feb, originally posted the 1st details about it (details later verified). They write: “from my end it looks like it’s still on track. Still at Netflix.” (cont)

But they caution : “I'm not as inside as it may appear though, so take it with a grain of salt.... I’m as eager about this thing as all of you guys are but nothing is definitive until it starts shooting.”

That’s encouraging (even w the caveats), though I’ll note that Prod. Weekly didn’t just omit Netflix from their latest entry on UNRECORDED NIGHT - they went back and retroactively scrubbed all mentions of Netflix from their previous updates on it. Pretty strange... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Part of the reason I’ve fixated on this is that, if you’ll recall, there was a period in 2015 when production on TWIN PEAKS: THE RETURN was in serious jeopardy because of a dispute between Lynch & Showtime on the budget size. So it’s conceivable similar hiccups could occur now...

-
Prod. Weekly didn’t just omit Netflix from their latest entry on UNRECORDED NIGHT - they went back and retroactively scrubbed all mentions of Netflix from their previous updates
Thoughts on what this part means? Could Netflix not want their involvement announced yet and threatened legal action? Is there a Showtime-style dispute? Have they dropped the project? Were they never actually involved?
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

CBS/Showtime definitely didn't have any of the FWWM rights to begin with, but eventually bought or licensed them. That is one of the reason's why it took so many years for The Missing Pieces to become a reality. M2 owned all rights to the film, but it was probably worth more to CBS since they could then control the whole TP library, which M2 could never afford to.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

eyeboogers wrote:CBS/Showtime definitely didn't have any of the FWWM rights to begin with, but eventually bought or licensed them. That is one of the reason's why it took so many years for The Missing Pieces to become a reality. M2 owned all rights to the film, but it was probably worth more to CBS since they could then control the whole TP library, which M2 could never afford to.
CBS licensed FWWM for the collections. MK2 is still listed as the distributor on the recent Criterion disc as well as in the credits of TR (“FWWM footage courtesy of TP Productions and MK2”).
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Jonah wrote:
Thoughts on what this part means? Could Netflix not want their involvement announced yet and threatened legal action? Is there a Showtime-style dispute? Have they dropped the project? Were they never actually involved?
Meh, who knows. I would imagine studio space would not have already been booked for May if they hadn’t already signed contracts and agreed to a budget. Am I wrong in thinking that?
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

So what do you make of Kyle's instagram post? :D