Life on Mars (the TV show, not the song) *spoilers*

Off Topic discussion goes here.

Moderators: Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Jerry Horne

Forum rules
Friendly off-topic discussions are welcome.
yvanehtnioj1214
Roadhouse Member

Life on Mars (the TV show, not the song) *spoilers*

Post by yvanehtnioj1214 »

Just finished watching the British version and I thought it was great. A friend recommended it to me in response to me introducing him to Twin Peaks, so I thought that was quite fitting as both mix realism with surrealism very well. Has anybody seen this show here? What did you think? I thought that, in the end, both the present and past were real but Sam was just more "alive" in the past.
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Re: Life on Mars (the TV show, not the song) *spoilers*

Post by TheArm »

Love the British original and also very much enjoying the American remake (though the original is better). Can the US version really stretch the concept out for 7 seasons? I'll be interested to see how they keep the momentum going. I did think that the last episode of the new version had a cliffhanger that felt VERY Peaks-ian, even down to a creepy cabin in the woods...
"Fire...walk...with...me...MEEE!!!"
yvanehtnioj1214
Roadhouse Member

I haven't seen the American version (even though I am American) because I thought it looked pretty bad but I might watch it on your recommendation. Thanks.
evdama

Post by evdama »

It can get a little dull in places and some of the references may be lost on U.S. or younger UK,veiwers (such as the Camberwick Green animation)
However the series really hit home for me - Sam Tyler (although John Simm is chronologicly a little too young for the character) is of similar demograph to me .
I really relate to his frustration with the sterility of modern Estabishment (the "human rights" of the criminal,etc)
Jumping off the roof and back into 1973 must have been such a release!

The sequel Ashes to Ashes was pretty much slammed by the critics.
But then so was FWWM!
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

I just watched the last episode in the US; it was really good. Who mentioned 7 seasons?? I really think the last episode was best but have no British version to compare it to.
Keep your eye on the doughnut, not on the hole.
yvanehtnioj1214
Roadhouse Member

Annie wrote:I just watched the last episode in the US; it was really good. Who mentioned 7 seasons?? I really think the last episode was best but have no British version to compare it to.
I heard the US version was cancelled. I'd highly recommend the British version if you can rent it, plus it's only 16 episodes so it's not a huge commitment.
Bank Theressa

Post by Bank Theressa »

I used to love this show. I wasn't aware of a U.K. version. Does anyone know where I could find either of them?