Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by Agent Earle »

Soolsma wrote:
Uh oh, here comes Earle. :lol: I'm looking forward to what you'll make of the upcoming project. Guess you must be happy Frost doesn't seem to be involved.
Are you being sarcastic? :) Or else you've read me totally wrong: I was always in the camp that accentuated that TP was the collective work of many contributors, not just the one and only David Lynch. I feel the show was at its best when there was a multitude of voices contributing to its evolution (back in the hectic days of S2). To ostracise Frost, of all people, as some kind of black sheep that interfered with the Master's vision and must best be forgotten seems downright blasphemous to me. The only "grudge" I'm holding against him is somewhat, one could call it, sloppy attitutude towards the series' legacy he displayed in The Secret History book (I know there've been theories about how it's all supposed to be intentional but that has never been acknowledged or elaborated on in any way by the man himself, at least not to my knowledge). Well, that and the fact that he is responsible for S3 as well as Lynch and that season is ... not my favourite, as you probably know.

As for these recent developments, I'm cautiously optimistic about what the future may bring, though I try very hard to brace myself for possible disappointment - I went down that road with the S3 anticipation before, and I'm not eager to repeat it.
ManBehindWinkies
Roadhouse Member

Post by ManBehindWinkies »

Sucks I have to regret even bringing it up because of the trash turn the conversation went. Recalls a line from season 3: "Fix your hearts or die"
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Agent Earle wrote: Are you being sarcastic? :) Or else you've read me totally wrong: I was always in the camp that accentuated that TP was the collective work of many contributors, not just the one and only David Lynch. I feel the show was at its best when there was a multitude of voices contributing to its evolution (back in the hectic days of S2). To ostracise Frost, of all people, as some kind of black sheep that interfered with the Master's vision and must best be forgotten seems downright blasphemous to me. The only "grudge" I'm holding against him is somewhat, one could call it, sloppy attitutude towards the series' legacy he displayed in The Secret History book (I know there've been theories about how it's all supposed to be intentional but that has never been acknowledged or elaborated on in any way by the man himself, at least not to my knowledge). Well, that and the fact that he is responsible for S3 as well as Lynch and that season is ... not my favourite, as you probably know.

As for these recent developments, I'm cautiously optimistic about what the future may bring, though I try very hard to brace myself for possible disappointment - I went down that road with the S3 anticipation before, and I'm not eager to repeat it.
Earle's back! Hope everything's going a bit better since we last spoke.

I dont believe Frost ever elaborated on it, but he did say early on something alluding to its intentionality, something coy along the lines of what you think you know may not be necessarily be what happened. But I'm not sure he went any further into it at any point.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Just hopping in to say: Good to see you, Earle! Hope all is well! And hey, I’m a Lodge member. :mrgreen:
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Earle > Not really sarcastic, except maybe the ''uh oh''; actually glad to have you here. So it was a bit of a tongue in cheek remark, yes.
I read your post as such that you are anything but a fan of Frost, so you must be happy the next thing will be without him. I actually did remember you were a fan of the originals and the approach it took. IIRC from your huge dissapointment with TPTR, you also had some pretty big critiques on Lynch, and possibly most of Lynch's modern work for that matter. That made me pretty curious to what you'll make of the next project, since at this point in time, it's a pretty safe bet Lynch want to tackle it mostly alone. All in all, eager to either read your reply, whether they'll be huge rants, or, who knows, maybe an unexpected praise.

And thanks for reminding me to temper my expectations as well. Gotta watch out with that stuff.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
enumbs
RR Diner Member

Post by enumbs »

Soolsma wrote: I read your post as such that you are anything but a fan of Frost, so you must be happy the next thing will be without him.
Jerry was summarising the opinion Rhodes seemed to be expressing, not his own view.

I find the Lynch/Frost combination fascinating, and the Return for the most part lived in the broad overlap between their tastes. But there are places Lynch wants to go that Frost’s sensibilities don’t allow for, and you can see that in Frost’s puzzlement regarding aspects of Part 18 found in Bushman’s book. I fully expect this new project to venture even further in that direction.

I love that we had the Return, which allowed Frost and Lynch to bring out aspects of each other’s creativity that they could not have reached alone, and I love that we seem to now be getting a new work; one which will allow Lynch to explore those areas only he can fully understand.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

enumbs wrote:
I find the Lynch/Frost combination fascinating, and the Return for the most part lived in the broad overlap between their tastes. But there are places Lynch wants to go that Frost’s sensibilities don’t allow for, and you can see that in Frost’s puzzlement regarding aspects of Part 18 found in Bushman’s book. I fully expect this new project to venture even further in that direction.

I love that we had the Return, which allowed Frost and Lynch to bring out aspects of each other’s creativity that they could not have reached alone, and I love that we seem to now be getting a new work; one which will allow Lynch to explore those areas only he can fully understand.
This is perfectly put, my thoughts exactly.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Any other updates? Or when do you all think we'll hear more?
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Hester Prynne
RR Diner Member

Post by Hester Prynne »

Is the new project 13 episodes or 25? I watched a video with Obnoxious and Anonymous and TaketheRing430, and they’re saying it’s 25.
sneakydave
RR Diner Member

Post by sneakydave »

Jonah wrote:Any other updates? Or when do you all think we'll hear more?
No updates today.that I've seen. I don't think there's any set schedule on this. The things we know came out of that trade publication and Fate Colossal's twitter account. You'd have to think if shooting is scheduled for May, then cast news would start to drop. Unless of course Lynch is going full secrecy and getting everyone on NDA's.
*M*A*Y*D*A*Y*
sneakydave
RR Diner Member

Post by sneakydave »

Hester Prynne wrote:Is the new project 13 episodes or 25? I watched a video with Obnoxious and Anonymous and TaketheRing430, and they’re saying it’s 25.
13 registered 'episodes' but the term "mini-movies" is being bandied about. So OandA are surmising this could be 25 hours worth of material. It's just a guess. No one knows anything.
*M*A*Y*D*A*Y*
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Hi, guys, thanks for the welcome, it's good to be back! Even though The Return has not been as kind to me as to the majority of you, it'll take more than that to keep me away from a new Lynch project, despite - as Soolsma remembers correctly - the fact that a work of his hasn't truly won me over since FWWM (with the possible exception of Straight Story). What can I say, his abstract phase didn't do much for me.

And to address some of your inquiries, things are still pretty shitty over here, but what can you do. It's 2020, right? And at least we're still here. :)
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

Yeah I remember that thread...

I disliked the twin perfect video then , still dislike it now . It gave me a horrible migraine . His lynch impression was nails on a chalkboard .
People keep trying to sell me on the video for some reason . I don’t wanna watch it ever again .
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

JackwithOneEye wrote:Yeah I remember that thread...

I disliked the twin perfect video then , still dislike it now . It gave me a horrible migraine . His lynch impression was nails on a chalkboard .
People keep trying to sell me on the video for some reason . I don’t wanna watch it ever again .
It’s entirely a matter of personal preference (and probably to some extent a generational thing), but I just don’t enjoy this “video analysis” trend in general. Put your theories in an essay, and I’ll read and digest them in a quarter the time it takes me to watch your video incorporating clips I’ve already watched dozens of times before. If your theories inspire me to revisit the footage, I’ll do it on my own time. I’m a fast reader, and I’d much rather process film analysis that way, rather than sitting through someone narrating their theories. Time is short, there’s so much work I haven’t had time to engage with. I don’t have hours to sit through fan videos.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

It's funny you mention that when acknowledging it might be a generational thing, you also mention that ''time is short'', a sentiment which these days might go hand in hand with ''who reads a book nowadays''; or a movie essay for that matter.

Completely agreed btw.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."