Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

RichardTyler wrote:Mark Frost retweeted Dr. Jacoby's actor an hour or so ago

https://twitter.com/RussTamblyn/status/ ... 6054414338

Last time I kept up with Mark Frost's twitter he didn't mention Twin Peaks too often, but he's tweeted about it a decent amount lately.

Could be reading into things, lol.
Frost and Tamblyn are both very politically vocal. This is clearly a reference to current events and not anything TP-related.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

Hey fellas! It's been a while! Exciting news. I'm glad that we'll be getting something new from Lynch. I wouldn't rule out that this is TP related but at this point it's more probable that it's something original, since it's supposedly on Netflix and not on Showtime.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
Mark B

Post by Mark B »

What Mr Reindeer said, plus Frost tweets Twin Peaks stuff semi regularly. I’m fascinated by how much late stage Lynch we’re getting. If it releases in 2022 we’ll likely have more filmed Lynch material in the last 6 years than his entire film career combined. I really hope it’s TP related - I love ep 18 so much, and I want to see more of that world.
BGate
RR Diner Member

Post by BGate »

has anyone mentioned Antelope Don't Run No More?
Then, in 2010 he wrote an incredible script called Antelope Don't Run No More, and he shopped it around but nobody offered him the funding he felt he needed to make it. When he couldn't get it financed I don't think he was horribly upset, though. David believes that if a thing is meant to be it will happen." Set mostly in Los Angeles, Antelope Don't Run No More braids threads from Mulholland Drive and INLAND EMPIRE into a narrative fantasia that incorporates space aliens, taking animals, and a beleaguered musician named Pinky; it's impressed everyone who's read it as one of the best scripts Lynch has ever written.
I'm assuming this was a feature length script but he's obviously had years to flesh it out with other ideas. that said I'm highly skeptical of any episode number rumors at this stage of things. as we now know, Lynch refused to commit to a length/episode total at the outset of The Return, which was the main cause of his kerfuffle with Showtime.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

BGate wrote:has anyone mentioned Antelope Don't Run No More?
Then, in 2010 he wrote an incredible script called Antelope Don't Run No More, and he shopped it around but nobody offered him the funding he felt he needed to make it. When he couldn't get it financed I don't think he was horribly upset, though. David believes that if a thing is meant to be it will happen." Set mostly in Los Angeles, Antelope Don't Run No More braids threads from Mulholland Drive and INLAND EMPIRE into a narrative fantasia that incorporates space aliens, taking animals, and a beleaguered musician named Pinky; it's impressed everyone who's read it as one of the best scripts Lynch has ever written.
I'm assuming this was a feature length script but he's obviously had years to flesh it out with other ideas. that said I'm highly skeptical of any episode number rumors at this stage of things. as we now know, Lynch refused to commit to a length/episode total at the outset of The Return, which was the main cause of his kerfuffle with Showtime.
While I’d certainly be intrigued to get another long-form serialized story from Lynch, if that Redditor is correct about “13 mini-movies,” perhaps we’ll get Antelope, Ronnie Rocket, Metamorphosis, etc., and maybe even some Coop/Laura, with DKL taking care of unfinished business in an anthology format? Certainly too early to tell, but this is an exciting time!
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Oh, wow! And suddenly 2020 doesn't seem so bad at all. :D Just when I was about to largely give up on dugpa.com, decided to come and post something as insignificant as what I thought were minor nods to Mulholland Drive in Bojack Horseman (great show, thanks Reindeer, you vouched for it a long while back); and I find my favorite thread exploding!

As much as I'm exited for the series, I'm also looking forward to seeing it be thoroughly discussed on this board. I wonder if they'll come out weekly. If I had to guess, that's what Lynch would want, him being oldschool and wanting that watercooler effect.

Heh, some rumors are saying it'll be between 13 and 25 episodes long. I have a hunch that one of the clauses in the contract is that ''no one is allowed to give a fucking shit about how long a scene is''.

I doubt it'll be Twin Peaks. I feel it's obvious Lynch has wanted to do (non Peaks) serialized TV since at least Mulholland drive, and TPTR has now helped him gain ground to do so. We might just see a lot of old unused idea's in this! If there's any TP, odessa-verse shenanigans or whatnot, I don't think it'll do much fan service. (Edit: Ah, no Frost either)
Last edited by Soolsma on Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:06 am, edited 5 times in total.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
ManBehindWinkies
Roadhouse Member

Post by ManBehindWinkies »

This would seemingly confirm it is not TP related:
https://twitter.com/mfrost11/status/1332673943602221056

And I would guess it also means the possibility of new Twin Peaks has been tabled for a while, or at least however long Lynch has been planning this project (which seems like it was for a decent amount of time prior to the pandemic).
Jacob
Roadhouse Member

Post by Jacob »

OK, so no Mark Frost. I like the idea of Mr. Reindeer about an anthology format. It would give DKL a lot of room to dream. And I'm sure in the end some stuffs would tie up, I mean in a way Lynch is a universe in itself, so characters from different projects could end up meeting each other. Anyway, if Lynch is recycling older scripts, yeah it's possible he didn't have any co-writer on this.

Or else he's bringing The Daily Weather Report on Netflix.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Well, I dare bet we'll see some familiar faces or actors Lynch had the pleasure of working with in TP(TR).
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
madeleineferguson
RR Diner Member

Post by madeleineferguson »

Soolsma wrote:Well, I dare bet we'll see some familiar faces or actors Lynch had the pleasure of working with in TP(TR).
I believe both Laura Dern and Naomi Watts are attached to this project, they were each seen at Netflix with Lynch, or around when Lynch was there.

Even if it’s not Twin Peaks related, I am ridiculously excited. I hope Sheryl Lee and Grace Zabriskie are a part of the cast too.
Jacob
Roadhouse Member

Post by Jacob »

Dern and Watts are gonna bring Justin Theroux with them. I know Theroux would have love to play a part in season 3, but he was busy with The Leftovers.

Also, in season 3, Lynch used TP narratives to be completely free and disgress a lot. Maybe "Wisteria" is going to be even more like this. Sometimes, while watching Season 3, it felt like we didn't watch Twin Peaks anymore. And it's what some critics said : that to them, it wasn't Twin Peaks.

So maybe everyone is right. It's not gonna be season 4. But it's gonna be in a larger, always expanding, TP-related universe. Something where Lynch is not gonna let himself being limited by narratives and format.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

I do wonder whether he’ll have a cowriter. My hunch is no...in Room to Dream, he seemed pretty opposed to the idea of being forced to work with a cowriter on Mulholland Drive, and it seems like his days of writing with others are done and gone, TP aside.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Soolsma wrote:Oh, wow! And suddenly 2020 doesn't seem so bad at all. :D Just when I was about to largely give up on dugpa.com, decided to come and post something as insignificant as what I thought were minor nods to Mulholland Drive in Bojack Horseman (great show, thanks Reindeer, you vouched for it a long while back); and I find my favorite thread exploding!
Heh, glad you liked it! I don’t even recall the MD nods. That show was so dense with references.
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

"Wisteria" is a 100% sure fake rumour that first surfaced many months ago. For some odd reason multitudes of media outlets are now circulating this unsourced rumour about Wisteria and Netflix as if it was true. I do believe that Lynch/Sutherland have been working on something, and that there might be an annoucement soon. But whatever it is, I doubt it is a 25 hour, 85 million budget series called "Wisteria". We have absolutely no credible source for that.
FormicaTable
Roadhouse Member

Post by FormicaTable »

I recall this from about 10 years ago. With Watts presumably attached, it’s possible? Who knows.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/filmbl ... avid-lynch