Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by eyeboogers »

TwinsPeak wrote:
I took what Lynch said as what he would "probably" be doing if there wasn't covid. I dont think he mean't Twin Peaks. I think he meant he would be on set working on anything.
I'd say that was pretty much confirmed by Lynch and Sutherland that something was supposed to be in production.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

N. Needleman wrote:I am slowly making my way through The Third Day: Autumn as well.
Do you recommend it? Sounds like it would be up my alley, but that’s a big time commitment.
OneandtheSame

Post by OneandtheSame »

A video of Madchen saying “the only thing I have to say right now is 1-1-9” was posted today. https://www.facebook.com/wewantmoretwin ... =e&extid=0
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

OneandtheSame wrote:A video of Madchen saying “the only thing I have to say right now is 1-1-9” was posted today. https://www.facebook.com/wewantmoretwin ... =e&extid=0
That's interesting. My first thought was that it might be a commentary on the state of the world right now. She does seem very serious, but when she gets to nine she says it with a little smile, which makes the whole thing read a little differently.

Obviously we should keep in mind that there's nothing that says she can't quote a little bit of the show if she's in a Twin Peaks mood, or just feels like teasing people. Back on Game of Thrones when everyone was wondering if there would be an appearance by Lady Stoneheart, Lena Headey posted a picture of some rocks in the shape of a heart and captioned it, "my stone heart", which got some people a bit excited.

Anyone who watched the show knows how that turned out.
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

OneandtheSame wrote:A video of Madchen saying “the only thing I have to say right now is 1-1-9” was posted today. https://www.facebook.com/wewantmoretwin ... =e&extid=0
Does anyone know the original source of this? I could not find it on Mädchen's Facebook, Instagram or Twitter pages?
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Isn’t this video old? I remember watching something like this last year
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
N. Needleman wrote:I am slowly making my way through The Third Day: Autumn as well.
Do you recommend it? Sounds like it would be up my alley, but that’s a big time commitment.
Since he hasn't answered, I'll give you my two cents, which is yes, I'd very much recommend it. In fact, I wish it was a series made up entirely of several of these 12-hour events, even though I've got so little time. It's a fantastic film experiment.

The only problem is that I know that the subsequent episodes of the regular series will seem really lame after this.
hopesfall
RR Diner Member

Post by hopesfall »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
Sorry to hi-jack, but I do think it will appeal to many Lynch fans. It has been panned by a couple of critics for being rather non-eventful, and slow, so... y'know. :lol:

Sure enough, the first 40 minutes or so is indeed a slow, but visually stunning crawl along a path to the island with very little, if anything at all, happening. I won't mention what DOES happen, in case you choose to watch it, but patience is rewarded, and if nothing else it is a wonderful looking, alluring piece of cinema for the smaller screen. There's even a segment for the fans of the sweeping scene in the return, involving an equally exciting activity! I'm a true sucker for folk-horror, and find myself deep in the English countryside very often, so I absolutely love it, and some parts of it left me wondering how the hell they were even achieved.

A quick flick through the two halves should give you a hunch if you'll enjoy it or not, and would be unlikely to spoil much. It's available on HBO's and Sky's facebook pages, among other places apparently.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Jasper wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:
Since he hasn't answered, I'll give you my two cents, which is yes, I'd very much recommend it. In fact, I wish it was a series made up entirely of several of these 12-hour events, even though I've got so little time. It's a fantastic film experiment.

The only problem is that I know that the subsequent episodes of the regular series will seem really lame after this.
Thanks to you and hopesfall for the insight! Will definitely give it a look. Ironically enough, now my biggest trepidation is making my way through the initial three-hour arc, which from reviews sounds fairly generic and pedestrian, to get to the more experimental 12-hour portion which I think will be much more my cup of tea.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:Thanks to you and hopesfall for the insight! Will definitely give it a look. Ironically enough, now my biggest trepidation is making my way through the initial three-hour arc, which from reviews sounds fairly generic and pedestrian, to get to the more experimental 12-hour portion which I think will be much more my cup of tea.
Even though it's not very original in its narrative, the first half of the series is entertaining, and there are some very good performances. Jude Law really nails it.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Jasper wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:Thanks to you and hopesfall for the insight! Will definitely give it a look. Ironically enough, now my biggest trepidation is making my way through the initial three-hour arc, which from reviews sounds fairly generic and pedestrian, to get to the more experimental 12-hour portion which I think will be much more my cup of tea.
Even though it's not very original in its narrative, the first half of the series is entertaining, and there are some very good performances. Jude Law really nails it.
I was fairly indifferent to Law for awhile, but I’ve really come around. His turn in The Young Pope was stunning, by turns hilarious and chilling and heartbreaking.

I also think Naomie Harris is great and underutilized, so I’m excited to see what she brings to the material in the back half. Whatever the storytelling deficiencies or lack of originality, it’s tough to argue with that casting.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Exited about the 12 hour special! I'll have to find a good moment for it. I agree with most critics that the writing is somewhat predictable and indeed generic. However, there is a certain mood and tone of this series that make it very appealing. Visually, it's very stunning. Especially the ending of episode 2 was really amazing to me.

Still curious if other people have watched this team's (Kelly writing, Munden directing and Cristobal Tapia de Veer (!!) composing) other work, namely Utopia (2013) miniseries. There is an American remake out and about now by Amazon and sorry to say that it doesn't do any justice to the original. It's themes really go along well with COVID times, to say the least. So yeah, if anyone's tempted to watch Utopia on one of their streaming services right now, do me a favor and watch the original.

(edit: ugh, that video on facebook, anyone else has a lot of stutter and jitter?)

(edit 2: because of horrible quality, decided to watch ep. 4 instead. Which gives a nice twist on things.)

Should we have a thread for this?
Last edited by Soolsma on Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I've only watched the first (Jude Law-starring) half of The Third Day so far but I can say I think it's excellent. Is the narrative that new in terms of folk horror staples, no, but it's exquisitely written, directed and performed. The reviews are frankly too harsh. And yes, I have seen the original Utopia (I also have Dennis Kelly's aborted World War Z 2 script he wrote for David Fincher, and that IMO is nothing special lol).
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Soolsma wrote: (edit: ugh, that video on facebook, anyone else has a lot of stutter and jitter?)

(edit 2: because of horrible quality, decided to watch ep. 4 instead. Which gives an undeniably weird, and certainly less mundane twist on things.)

Should we have a thread for this?
It doesn't bother me the way it is on my end. It was live-streamed after all, so some glitchiness is going to be part of the experience. Assuming you've got a good internet connection and you've set the quality to 1080p, you might want to try changing your settings or try watching it on another device.

They surely filmed it in tandem with the stream, so they might offer a "clean" copy for home release at some point, but I personally can't see a reason not to watch it now, at least based on what I'm seeing on my end.
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

It is a good idea to move "The Third Day" conversation to a seperate thread, for those of us not watching it (yet).