Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

ManBehindWinkies
Roadhouse Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by ManBehindWinkies »

I made a post speculating that the NBA and NHL playoff bubbles could be a test case for film and television production bubbles, then speculating that the LED virtual set technology used on The Mandalorian could be part of the solution because it allows for a variety of locations that can be created in limited space, reduce the number of crew needed because of less set construction and the fact that lighting is integrated into the set up.

Then speculated Lynch may love to work with this technology because the virtual sets can be tinkered with on the fly. The post was deleted for some reason. Not sure what rule that is violating, moderators please clarify....
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

Metamorphia wrote:I think whatever project Sabrina/Lynch are hinting at is something akin to What Did Jack Do
I think there was so much semi-evidence before the virus hit that Lynch was involved in a new major project, that it is almost unthinkable that they are not impatiently waiting to get back to whatever film/series was in pre-production.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

ManBehindWinkies wrote:the LED virtual set technology used on The Mandalorian could be part of the solution because it allows for a variety of locations that can be created in limited space, reduce the number of crew needed because of less set construction and the fact that lighting is integrated into the set up.
This is interesting. It always bothered me that green screens would obviously reflect green into the scene itself. If there has to be some kind of screen use, then this LED format is obviously vastly preferable in that it provides appropriately colored light for the environment, and gives reasonably realistic reflections. Of course I'd really rather that there be very little (or even no) screen use, but if there has to be, this seems vastly preferable, at least where it's practical. I know that sometimes huge green screens are used outdoors, say to give a different background to a building or something, so obviously that's a different matter.
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

I love the fact that this amazing new technology is just a modern update of those dodgy looking driving scenes that you used to get in TV shows, with the cast in front of a projected background.

I'm now not really hopeful for any Twin Peaks continuation on screen. My only hope is that, if they wrote more, we might get to read it one day.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

baxter wrote:I'm now not really hopeful for any Twin Peaks continuation on screen.
Is this based upon a dislike of the use of screens and similar workarounds, or more upon the general difficulty involved with filming during a pandemic that has no end in sight? (Or is it something else?)

I'm not at all assuming a Twin Peaks continuation, though like I've already said, to me, Lynch doing ANY serious film project in the immediate future seems kind of crazy.
ManBehindWinkies
Roadhouse Member

Jasper wrote:
ManBehindWinkies wrote:the LED virtual set technology used on The Mandalorian could be part of the solution because it allows for a variety of locations that can be created in limited space, reduce the number of crew needed because of less set construction and the fact that lighting is integrated into the set up.
This is interesting. It always bothered me that green screens would obviously reflect green into the scene itself. If there has to be some kind of screen use, then this LED format is obviously vastly preferable in that it provides appropriately colored light for the environment, and gives reasonably realistic reflections. Of course I'd really rather that there be very little (or even no) screen use, but if there has to be, this seems vastly preferable, at least where it's practical. I know that sometimes huge green screens are used outdoors, say to give a different background to a building or something, so obviously that's a different matter.
I'd also prefer real environments of course. Mostly speculating about this as a potential solution to the need to set up isolated filming bubbles while COVID remains a danger. For what it's worth I watched the entire Mandalorian season and had no clue this kind of technology was being used as extensively as it was, and that's really the litmus test.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

I’m just imagining if David gets access to this.. what amazing scenes would he create
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

He is not going to green screen all of Season 4 from people's homes and film it this year. It's not going to happen.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
ManBehindWinkies
Roadhouse Member

And literally no one is suggesting that.
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

My lack of hope is just based on the fact that everyone involved is getting old, and the pandemic will be with us for years.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

ManBehindWinkies wrote:And literally no one is suggesting that.
I'm pretty sure at least one person fond of jumping to wild conclusions was, but generally, most of us are not.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

baxter wrote:My lack of hope is just based on the fact that everyone involved is getting old, and the pandemic will be with us for years.
I hear ya.
bob_wooler
RR Diner Member

Post by bob_wooler »

The pandemic WILL (most likely) last for years and the TV/movie industry simply can't afford to wait that long. So they are forced to find ways, and they will.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

bob_wooler wrote:The pandemic WILL (most likely) last for years and the TV/movie industry simply can't afford to wait that long. So they are forced to find ways, and they will.
Not great for shows with huge casts generally, but really not great for shows with huge casts that feature large battle scenes and/or many people gathered in close quarters. (Think Vikings or The Walking Dead.) At least Lynch probably wouldn't have to deal with too much stuff like that in whatever it is he seems to be planning.

This pandemic thing is so pervasive and long-lasting that it will eventually make sense for characters on shows set in the present to sometimes wear masks and social distance.

There are also other sorts of workarounds...
frank-booth-blue-velvet-.jpeg
frank-booth-blue-velvet-.jpeg (92.73 KiB) Viewed 9524 times
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

eyeboogers wrote:
Metamorphia wrote:I think whatever project Sabrina/Lynch are hinting at is something akin to What Did Jack Do
I think there was so much semi-evidence before the virus hit that Lynch was involved in a new major project, that it is almost unthinkable that they are not impatiently waiting to get back to whatever film/series was in pre-production.
I disagree with your premise. My recollection is that optimistic/wishful fans were choosing to read innocent/meaningless comments as augurs, and crediting questionable sources like that horror museum. I can’t even now recall a single shred of “evidence“ besides the HHM tweet, although I remember people citing to lots of tweets and comments that to me meant nothing one way or the other.
Last edited by Mr. Reindeer on Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.