What did we know before?

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

YANA

What did we know before?

Post by YANA »

Just am curious - how much in terms of spoiler or filming leakage did the fanbase know before Season 3 went out?

Obviously a lot of the old forum archive is gone for good now, but just interested in if there were any key tidbits where it now seems astonishing that they got out there, considering the secrecy. Of course, the final scene was one of the most covered bits of filming of all - but were there any other hints floating around that gave away or gestured towards important elements?
Renamus

Re: What did we know before?

Post by Renamus »

I do remember seeing quite a bit of on set pictures (cast members between shots), and of course as you say the final scene. However, in the absence of context, they gave away almost nothing. In fact, the final scene came across as much of a shocking surprise regardless. :)

Mark Frost’s “Secret History” felt so exciting to me at the time as well, as it was really the first genuinely new material in decades. Again, it has clues, but none which would be easy to spot in the absence of the new episodes.
YANA

Post by YANA »

Yeah, I remember a fair bit of contextless stuff like Shelly on top of the car and green jacket Dougie, and my initial theories being WILDLY different to what eventually ended up on screen.

Also seem to remember someone mentioned a Twin Peaks version of a nuclear explosion about a year in advance too.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

YANA wrote:Yeah, I remember a fair bit of contextless stuff like Shelly on top of the car and green jacket Dougie, and my initial theories being WILDLY different to what eventually ended up on screen.

Also seem to remember someone mentioned a Twin Peaks version of a nuclear explosion about a year in advance too.
There were some people on this forum that knew some additional details, but withheld those (wisely) as knowing those details would have spoiled too much.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
YANA

Post by YANA »

Yeah - those bits in particular are interesting, and I've been wondering if any of them might even give a glimmer of an idea about some of the stuff we didn't see - we know that while the majority of what was filmed is on screen, there are definitely things regarding the order of stuff etc. that changed, and some extra lines here and there in the lodges.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

YANA wrote:Yeah - those bits in particular are interesting, and I've been wondering if any of them might even give a glimmer of an idea about some of the stuff we didn't see - we know that while the majority of what was filmed is on screen, there are definitely things regarding the order of stuff etc. that changed, and some extra lines here and there in the lodges.
Someone put out something about a train car or something like that, that seemed to be reliable info, but never appeared onscreen. It was a diagram of a train car or something like that.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
YANA

Post by YANA »

Oh that is interesting! Was it THE train car?
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

I remember there was some shooting at some Fire Station. No idea if any scenes were shot over there.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

krishnanspace wrote:I remember there was some shooting at some Fire Station. No idea if any scenes were shot over there.
I believe the convenience store set was built in Olallie near a fireman’s training facility. The reason they built it there is that they burned it to the ground at the end of filming to get the smoke effect (similar to Lost Highway, although in the finished cut of Part 15, we don’t see any flames). I guess that was a convenient location to have lots of firemen and equipment on standby in case the fire got out of control.
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

Not sure if this was ever leaked beyond a few folks, but, an unnamed crew member left the ENTIRE location scouting shoot, complete with their named locations in the script, in folders by STATE. You could literally have found it with a google search in mid-2016. Literally hundreds of photos. I remember seeing locations for Montana, Nevada, New York, New Mexico, and Texas and my mind going crazy. I found the crew member, called them, and told them they should probably take it down. It was gone within seconds. Never got a thanks!

Crappy thing is, certain crew members later harassed me and a few friends about leaked information, never knowing I helped prevent a near-catastrophic leak while s3 was *still being edited.*

I still have a bad taste in my mouth over that, but am glad that stuff never got out ahead of time.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I knew Janey-E's real name maybe a year beforehand. (I stayed silent when a fake name for her began circulating, and I still don't know why that happened unless someone felt like making it up to seem important.) I knew she was played by Naomi Watts, was a love interest for Cooper and had a little boy, and that a substantial portion of the show was set in Las Vegas and connected to organized crime.

I knew Norma and Ed would reunite when Nadine let him go.

I knew they'd filmed with Catherine Coulson before she died and had banked a lot just in case.

I knew there was a "Horne family scene" filmed.

I knew Laura Dern was probably playing Diane.

I knew Amanda Seyfried and Caleb Landry Jones' characters were involved.

I knew people (like Gordon in the hotel) would have random visions of Laura.

That's about all I can recall offhand. Maybe more I've forgotten. This is all stuff that didn't go public at the time, outside of Seyfried and Jones because they were seen filming together. I didn't ask much of my source because I didn't want to know. I knew nothing of Dougie, etc. or most of the main plot and I liked it that way. Several of us were in the loop and to my knowledge most of us kept quiet. There's still things I don't talk about. I hope my old source is okay.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
RR Diner Member

Post by 4815162342 »

N. Needleman wrote:I knew Janey-E's real name maybe a year beforehand. (I stayed silent when a fake name for her began circulating, and I still don't know why that happened unless someone felt like making it up to seem important.) I knew she was played by Naomi Watts, was a love interest for Cooper and had a little boy, and that a substantial portion of the show was set in Las Vegas and connected to organized crime.

I knew they'd filmed with Catherine Coulson before she died and had banked a lot just in case.

That's about all I can recall offhand. Maybe more I've forgotten. This is all stuff that didn't go public at the time, outside of Seyfried and Jones because they were seen filming together. I didn't ask much of my source because I didn't want to know. I knew nothing of Dougie, etc. or most of the main plot and I liked it that way. Several of us were in the loop and to my knowledge most of us kept quiet. There's still things I don't talk about. I hope my old source is okay.
What is the "Horne family scene"? The scene with Ben and Jerry toward the beginning?
RR Diner Member

Post by 4815162342 »

N. Needleman wrote:I knew Janey-E's real name maybe a year beforehand. (I stayed silent when a fake name for her began circulating, and I still don't know why that happened unless someone felt like making it up to seem important.) I knew she was played by Naomi Watts, was a love interest for Cooper and had a little boy, and that a substantial portion of the show was set in Las Vegas and connected to organized crime.

What is the "Horne family scene"? The scene with Ben and Jerry toward the beginning?
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

4815162342 wrote:

I don’t have any “insider” information, but I assume he means the Sylvia/Richard scene (Audrey/Richard as originally scripted).

I seem to remember reading that filming was moving to Nevada after Washington. I wonder if this was deliberately disseminated misinformation, or (probably more likely) someone overhearing a piece of information and confusing the in-show setting for the actual shooting location.
RR Diner Member

Post by 4815162342 »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
4815162342 wrote:

I don’t have any “insider” information, but I assume he means the Sylvia/Richard scene (Audrey/Richard as originally scripted).

I seem to remember reading that filming was moving to Nevada after Washington. I wonder if this was deliberately disseminated misinformation, or (probably more likely) someone overhearing a piece of information and confusing the in-show setting for the actual shooting location.
Right! That makes sense. Did they actually shoot in Las Vegas? As I recall, the shots of actual Las Vegas in the show are stock footage.