Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by Jerry Horne »

They could film a Season Four in a studio bubble. Have it mostly be set in the Red Room. Maybe explore what Cooper went through the last 25 years. This would allow more screen time for Ray Wise and Sheryl Lee etc. Throw in some Chris Issak, Joan Chen, Heather Graham etc.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Use the Red Room as the zoom virtual background
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Jerry Horne wrote:They could film a Season Four in a studio bubble. Have it mostly be set in the Red Room. Maybe explore what Cooper went through the last 25 years. This would allow more screen time for Ray Wise and Sheryl Lee etc. Throw in some Chris Issak, Joan Chen, Heather Graham etc.
He could set up the Red Room set outdoors on his property at night, like he did for the Rabbits series. That could lead to a wonderful ambience.
ManBehindWinkies
Roadhouse Member

Post by ManBehindWinkies »

mtwentz wrote:Interesting but I don't know when a new production could realistically get started.

I just think how they've tried to get Major League Baseball started and now MLB is already having problems.

Does anybody know if anybody is filming any major productions right now?
One of the problems for the MLB is that they didn't create a bubble. The NBA and NHL are creating bubbles... we'll see how that goes, but on the surface it seems like there's less likelihood for things to go awry.

I'd think the only way film and television productions can resume in the U.S. before a vaccine is developed is to create a similar kind of bubble, where the entire cast and crew must remain isolated throughout production. It's all very complicated... people have to remain in quarantine for several days with multiple tests before entering the bubble. And in this case it would probably require shooting on a sound stages and backlots and either severely restrict or eliminate location shooting.

It is probably less complicated for productions that are resuming outside the U.S. but I doubt that's an option for whatever Lynch is planning.
madeleineferguson
RR Diner Member

Post by madeleineferguson »

I'd love it so much if Season 4 was filmed in Snoqualmie during the winter, like the Pilot. This is exciting!
ManBehindWinkies
Roadhouse Member

Post by ManBehindWinkies »

madeleineferguson wrote:I'd love it so much if Season 4 was filmed in Snoqualmie during the winter, like the Pilot. This is exciting!
Maybe that will be possible in the winter of 2021.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

There's no reason to assume he's planning on doing TP, but it's strange to me to think that he'd be preparing to do anything that might, might even involve filming with live actors, in person. That said, if Sabrina Sutherland is involved with something concrete, then it must involve actors, or at the very least, voice actors.

Remember when Lynch went to the Maharishi's "Millionaire Retreat", and when they got there they were greeted with the Maharishi Mahesh Yogi on a (possibly) live stream that they watched on a TV set? The TM people had neglected to mention this little detail. The attendees payed a million dollars or whatever to go meditate with the TM master, and they didn't even meet him in person. Lynch made a comment saying something like, looking back, it feels like he really was there in person with the Maharishi. Whatever.

Anyway, what if a bunch of actors get cast for a Lynch show/film, and when they show up it's Lynch on a giant flat-screen.

Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Jasper wrote:There's no reason to assume he's planning on doing TP, but it's strange to me to think that he'd be preparing to do anything that might, might even involve filming with live actors, in person. That said, if Sabrina Sutherland is involved with something concrete, then it must involve actors, or at the very least, voice actors.

Remember when Lynch went to the Maharishi's "Millionaire Retreat", and when they got there they were greeted with the Maharishi Mahesh Yogi on a (possibly) live stream that they watched on a TV set? The TM people had neglected to mention this little detail. The attendees payed a million dollars or whatever to go meditate with the TM master, and they didn't even meet him in person. Lynch made a comment saying something like, looking back, it feels like he really was there in person with the Maharishi. Whatever.

Anyway, what if a bunch of actors get cast for a Lynch show/film, and when they show up it's Lynch on a giant flat-screen.

I mean, he has directed remotely before. Notably Catherine Coulson and Warren Frost on TP:TR. It’s difficult to imagine him taking this approach on a grand scale, though, given his love of placing the dustballs under the radiator, the peas in the drawer, etc. He’s way too hands-on to not set foot onto his own set.
Last edited by Mr. Reindeer on Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Doesn’t prove anything but his daughter Jennifer has also liked the post
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Jasper wrote:There's no reason to assume he's planning on doing TP, but it's strange to me to think that he'd be preparing to do anything that might, might even involve filming with live actors, in person. That said, if Sabrina Sutherland is involved with something concrete, then it must involve actors, or at the very least, voice actors.
I get what you're saying, but I assume these ideas go back to the rumors that were circulating prior to COVID shutting everything down. I assume they're still thinking about going forward with whatever they were planning in the first place, which required actors. They're just hoping for the best, like everyone, and are probably now nearing the end of their planning stages and really hoping to be able to work again on whatever project they have in store, whether it's Twin Peaks or something new. I'm still 50/50 on that, even when considering that this project might take place at Netflix. I believe that Showtime are heroes for funding The Return, and I'm sure Lynch would prefer to work with them again, but I feel that if Netflix dropped twice as much money for the project so that Lynch could properly fulfill his vision then he would have no choice but to apologetically part ways with Showtime. I'm assuming again that since Lynch/Frost have so much control over Twin Peaks, they could bring their baby to whatever network they choose, or is that not correct?
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

LateReg wrote:
I get what you're saying, but I assume these ideas go back to the rumors that were circulating prior to COVID shutting everything down. I assume they're still thinking about going forward with whatever they were planning in the first place, which required actors. They're just hoping for the best, like everyone, and are probably now nearing the end of their planning stages and really hoping to be able to work again on whatever project they have in store, whether it's Twin Peaks or something new. I'm still 50/50 on that, even when considering that this project might take place at Netflix. I believe that Showtime are heroes for funding The Return, and I'm sure Lynch would prefer to work with them again, but I feel that if Netflix dropped twice as much money for the project so that Lynch could properly fulfill his vision then he would have no choice but to apologetically part ways with Showtime. I'm assuming again that since Lynch/Frost have so much control over Twin Peaks, they could bring their baby to whatever network they choose, or is that not correct?
I think that’s correct. CBS/Showtime owns the distribution rights to the existing shows, but I think L/F could take new product anywhere. That said, I believe both men have said at various points that Showtime/Nevins are the only partners they would approach with any potential new Peaks. But it’s not like Lynch has never changed his mind.

I honestly think if something does happen at Netflix, it will be either something entirely unpredictable, or else Ronnie Rocket. With DKL in his mid-70s and having revisited TP, I get the sense of him taking care of unfinished business while he still has seemingly endless reserves of creative energy. RR has been in his back pocket for forty years and he’s never really stopped talking about it. I can’t imagine him leaving this mortal coil without taking a stab at it, and it seems a perfect fit for the Netflix model.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Mr. Reindeer wrote: I think that’s correct. CBS/Showtime owns the distribution rights to the existing shows, but I think L/F could take new product anywhere. That said, I believe both men have said at various points that Showtime/Nevins are the only partners they would approach with any potential new Peaks. But it’s not like Lynch has never changed his mind.

I honestly think if something does happen at Netflix, it will be either something entirely unpredictable, or else Ronnie Rocket. With DKL in his mid-70s and having revisited TP, I get the sense of him taking care of unfinished business while he still has seemingly endless reserves of creative energy. RR has been in his back pocket for forty years and he’s never really stopped talking about it. I can’t imagine him leaving this mortal coil without taking a stab at it, and it seems a perfect fit for the Netflix model.
I agree with all of that, for sure. My scenario predicts that Showtime gives Lynch less than he needs, at which point he shops it to Netflix since he already has a foot in the door. So he approaches Showtime, but then is made an offer he can't refuse by Netflix. I'm just wondering what the likelihood of that scenario is, I suppose, since Lynch did have to cut corners on a couple more elaborately intended scenes in The Return, if I'm remembering the rumors correctly.

In your opinion, do you think that Ronnie Rocket would be a feature, or expanded into a series?
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

LateReg wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote: I think that’s correct. CBS/Showtime owns the distribution rights to the existing shows, but I think L/F could take new product anywhere. That said, I believe both men have said at various points that Showtime/Nevins are the only partners they would approach with any potential new Peaks. But it’s not like Lynch has never changed his mind.

I agree with all of that, for sure. My scenario predicts that Showtime gives Lynch less than he needs, at which point he shops it to Netflix since he already has a foot in the door. So he approaches Showtime, but then is made an offer he can't refuse by Netflix. I'm just wondering what the likelihood of that scenario is, I suppose, since Lynch did have to cut corners on a couple more elaborately intended scenes in The Return, if I'm remembering the rumors correctly.

In your opinion, do you think that Ronnie Rocket would be a feature, or expanded into a series?
I’m not sure how much corner-cutting went on. Remember, Lynch walked away, and he and Sutherland made an all-or-nothing ultimatum on the budget they wanted, which Showtime granted. This is the narrative Lynch and Sutherland have told, so I find it hard to fault Showtime for any budget issues. I do recall Lynch in a prep session on one of the documentaries bemoaning the typical Hollywood process and saying he could have spent a month on the Fireman’s set “going dreamy,” but that’s him wishing all movies were made the Eraserhead way. I’m not sure he would have a better experience at Netflix. Showtime gave him a tremendous amount of autonomy and the budget he asked for, even if it ended up not being enough in his eyes.

I could see RR as either a feature or series. It does seem that Lynch has gotten a lot looser with runtimes between INLAND EMPIRE and the epic TP:TR, and I could definitely see Lynch expanding it to a ten-hour series or something. Maybe that opportunity to expand the world would be the key to fixing whatever he feels is wrong in the script.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Mr. Reindeer wrote: I’m not sure how much corner-cutting went on. Remember, Lynch walked away, and he and Sutherland made an all-or-nothing ultimatum on the budget they wanted, which Showtime granted. This is the narrative Lynch and Sutherland have told, so I find it hard to fault Showtime for any budget issues. I do recall Lynch in a prep session on one of the documentaries bemoaning the typical Hollywood process and saying he could have spent a month on the Fireman’s set “going dreamy,” but that’s him wishing all movies were made the Eraserhead way. I’m not sure he would have a better experience at Netflix. Showtime gave him a tremendous amount of autonomy and the budget he asked for, even if it ended up not being enough in his eyes.

I could see RR as either a feature or series. It does seem that Lynch has gotten a lot looser with runtimes between INLAND EMPIRE and the epic TP:TR, and I could definitely see Lynch expanding it to a ten-hour series or something. Maybe that opportunity to expand the world would be the key to fixing whatever he feels is wrong in the script.
I don't think much corner cutting went on, either. What I was specifically and only referring to was...wasn't there a scene or two that Lynch had envisioned that he couldn't film due to budget constraints? I thought that was discussed somewhere on this board. Something that was supposed to be much more elaborate (and no, I'm not talking about Green Glove scene). There was also that instance of Peter Deming stating via tweet or whatever that it would have been nice to have some of the money that Showtime was dishing out during the awards campaign while they were filming. I don't think Lynch truly got the budget he wanted to completely fulfill the maximum of his vision, and I think they worked very tight. I think, like anything, it was a compromise, which you seem to also be saying. All I'm saying is that Netflix would probably give him the higher, less compromised budget, and equal freedom, no questions asked.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Anyone notice that Twin Peaks Season 3 has been removed from Netflix Argentina, Brazil and Mexico. It was on there last week and today its not there