The Random Twin Peaks Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Pinky
RR Diner Member

Re: The Random Twin Peaks Thread

Post by Pinky »

That's really interesting. What would be the limits of Mr. C's involvement in that whole plot? He is in cahoots with Hastings wife, at least, and he finds out from Diane that they have Briggs' body. Mr. C seems to think that at some point Cole is going to find out about Las Vegas (Dougie). What loose end does he think is out there that can lead Cole to find out about it? Does he mean the TV reports about Coop getting jumped by Spike registering on a national level? I ask because the only other reason I can think of would be something like 'Mr. C wondering if they picked up on his ring in the stomach gag', which would involve Mr C being involved in the death. (Forgive me if this is just me messing up dates etc, there's probably an obvious explanation to a lot of this)

If the ring was swallowed by Garland in order to leave a clue, what was going on there? He visited Dougie in the real world and took it? Or intercepted him in the Lodge at some point?

The line, 'there were so many people there' is one of my favourites in this season. Don't know if it's more the line itself or if it's Lillard's reading of it, but it's chilling. Like, we can piece together later that it seems like he, Ruth and a still younger Briggs got jumped by the Woodsmen we see when Cole looks through the vortex, but your brain can quite easily imagine that Hastings actually encountered hordes of them.

What was the deal with the Woodsman scene with Knox in the morgue? Did she avoid death by walking back to join the others with the body? The way it just walks past the room suggests not. Why are they hanging around? It feels like they're hanging around everyone involved (the one in the morgue, the one in Hastings' cell) in order to pick up on new leads. Why didn't they kill Hastings in the cell right away?

Last question, I promise: the Buckhorn vortex leads to the 'hallway room' of the room above a convenience store, the decor of the room in Laura's painting. is this place The Dutchmans (or is it this actually the physical machine that the Woodsmen use to travel, with the valves and the striking of the wooden stick etc) and can we take it that the portals open up to the same place every time (barring any alteration by the Fireman like we see in E17)?

I haven't even begun to get onto the Ray stuff, i'm trying to replay it all in my head in light of what you've said!
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

So much of it is indeterminable. All the info we get is piecemail, and more than three-quarters of that is cryptic. It's easy to make assumptions and get ahead of what absolutely concrete details we get, possibly to the detriment of keeping track of what might be happening. For instance, to be pedantic for the sake of demonstration, do we really ever actually have Diane informing Mr. C about Briggs' body? I don't remember that ever happening.
Pinky wrote:That's really interesting. What would be the limits of Mr. C's involvement in that whole plot? He is in cahoots with Hastings wife, at least. Mr. C seems to think that at some point Cole is going to find out about Las Vegas (Dougie). What loose end does he think is out there that can lead Cole to find out about it? Does he mean the TV reports about Coop getting jumped by Spike registering on a national level? I ask because the only other reason I can think of would be something like 'Mr. C wondering if they picked up on his ring in the stomach gag', which would involve Mr C being involved in the death. (Forgive me if this is just me messing up dates etc, there's probably an obvious explanation to a lot of this)
No obvious explanation from what I can see! Just a lot of extrapolation. Mr. C's involvement is so hard to peg for multiple reasons. A lot of the ambiguity comes from the involvement of the Woodsmen, and their role as lackey or equal is never really affirmed. When the Double goes to the Dutchman's, he seems to have to treat them with a kind of reverence, as if they're threshold guardians. But they do seem to, silently, do a lot of gruntwork. Then there's a lot of room for confusion because his human lackeys, at least, are actively trying to sabotage and turn on him, and they keep information hidden from him. This throws a wrench into knowing exactly what Mr. C knows. And it leads me to read a lot of the Mr. C stuff, what with him and his seedy underworld, in a kind of classic trope of 'the villains, left to their own devices, backstab each other and take care of themselves.' He struggles to maintain the momentum of the underworld he's constructed.

Yet another point of trouble is how clued in Diane is or not. All that we and Cole et al have to work with are very non-sequitor text messages, where it's obvious they're speaking in code, and it's not the full extant of how much they might be keeping in touch or have planned ahead of time, and we don't know if they merely wanted these messages intercepted to further their goals, and so how much scrutiny should they be taken with?

Because of Briggs' other clues, like the scrip of paper in the chair, it's hard to say whether he swallowed the ring or if the ring was planted there. The proximity of a Woodsmen to the morgue certainly adds fodder for it going either way, but I find it hard to be certain how involved that is with Mr. C's attempt to direct the FBI toward Vegas. You might be right about the TV report, but again, to be strict on info, the "Las Vegas?" message was responded to with "they haven't asked yet." Why would Cole et al, on seeing what is obviously Cooper in Vegas on the news, ask Diane about it? They're just as perplexed as I am; what is there to ask Diane about? And what would the ring on its own prompt, anyway?

Later on, Diane reveals Janey-E is her sister, and that seems to be the information she was sitting on. But what question could they have posed to get her to bring that up? And I'm in the camp that believes, Diane's tulpa being the untrustworthy narrator she should be taken as, that it's dubious if they're actually sisters. Janey-E or anyone else never corroborates. And Diane says Douglas Jones in such a strange way, like she's going out of her way to telegraph it, and the very next thing that occurs as a result of this info is Cole kicks into motion the whole subplot with the Vegas field agents scouring around and trying to capture Dougie, who they don't even know is Cooper at that point. Why would the Double want this to occur? Perhaps Dougie in custody would never have led to his awakening and ultimate intervention at the Sherrif's station.

Regardless of motivation, it's hard to deny the Double wants Dougie either dead or in custody at all costs. And that's sort of all we have to work with, from what I can see. To recap, the Double's motivations are ambiguous, the extent of the autonomy of the Woodsmen dubious, the henchman of his seemingly endlessly far-reaching criminal syndicate of hackers and quantum scientists are not to be trusted, Briggs' cosmic journey overlapping and adding confusion to who did what throws in a couple more barrels of wrenches, Diane's tulpa is an identity crisis in the form of an unreliable narrator, drive-by phone calls from never identified sources ramps it up past 10, trying to pin down Jeffries' involvement diffuses faster than he does in the air, and who is Judy?
Pinky wrote:If the ring was swallowed by Garland in order to leave a clue, what was going on there? He visited Dougie in the real world and took it? Or intercepted him in the Lodge at some point?
Beats me! Perhaps a trade was made of some kind, Dougie's ring for The Ring. Just in a thematic sense, the first time we see Dougie he's with a prostitute, wearing a Ring thus far associated with ominous portent, instead of the ring his wife lovingly gifted him.

For all we know, he lost the ring one morning and the next thing he found on the side of the road was The Ring, and he went, hey, that'll do? :)

But let's step back a second. Unless we consider the possibility that Briggs set up to have his own body planted (which is bonkers), there's a second-party, hostile to him, planting his body. Why wouldn't they take the ring out? And doesn't that imply that Briggs, a good guy, wants the same thing as Mr. C, a bad guy, that being for the FBI to get to Vegas? What was the purpose of planting the body and the head from the POV of Mr. C? He never comments on either. Maddening!
Pinky wrote:The line, 'there were so many people there' is one of my favourites in this season. Don't know if it's more the line itself or if it's Lillard's reading of it, but it's chilling. Like, we can piece together later that it seems like he, Ruth and a still younger Briggs got jumped by the Woodsmen we see when Cole looks through the vortex, but your brain can quite easily imagine that Hastings actually encountered hordes of them.
Yep, I find myself gravitating back to that line a lot, it's such an important plot event and we see absolutely nothing of it, there's almost too much freedom to let your imagination run wild.

There was an unnerving instance in reviewing this whole subplot where I was convinced I remembered something, maybe in the Frost books, that was more concrete about what happened. I remember a description of someone grabbing onto Brigg's legs while he's rising up. But when I went back and looked at episode transcripts and reread where it would be in the books, lo and behold, I couldn't find anything. Ugh. What's worse is that whole event is the nexus point of Hastings having his own false memory. This subplot is a dark, dark rabbit hole.
Pinky wrote:Last question, I promise: the Buckhorn vortex leads to the 'hallway room' of the room above a convenience store, the decor of the room in Laura's painting. is this place The Dutchmans (or is it this actually the physical machine that the Woodsmen use to travel, with the valves and the striking of the wooden stick etc) and can we take it that the portals open up to the same place every time (barring any alteration by the Fireman like we see in E17)?
My assumption has always been that the portals are one way, and there's just several of them. So that when Briggs meets with Hastings et al, Briggs is there from having just stepped in from Twin Peaks.

The Dutchman's is mentioned in TFD as being a long abandoned motel in Montana. The implication seems to be that it was once a real place that was swallowed up into being used by Lodge folk, like how maybe the Convenience Store was once real. It gave me the impression somehow of time travel, that the portals are returning them to when it was once an actual establishment, though I think Frost has said time travel occurs only once and he seems to be referring to Cooper going back to Laura.

But it's also a reference to the famous myth of the ghost ship, The Flying Dutchman, but in this case what seems to be travelling aimlessly (and absurdly) is the building itself.
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Mädchen reflects on directing for the first time, on Riverdale: https://ew.com/tv/madchen-amick-riverda ... -4-finale/

“[David] sent me a really beautiful email my first day of directing, and just reminding me to make sure I did every single thing I want in every single shot, and to have fun.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Attachments
EYUPFfnXQAwQc7E.jpg
EYUPFfnXQAwQc7E.jpg (27.78 KiB) Viewed 12118 times
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-05-30 at 9.57.30 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-05-30 at 9.57.30 AM.png (512.32 KiB) Viewed 11980 times
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Jerry Horne wrote:...
Lol David Lynch is such a prude.
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Post by Cappy »

AXX°N N. wrote:But let's step back a second. Unless we consider the possibility that Briggs set up to have his own body planted (which is bonkers), there's a second-party, hostile to him, planting his body. Why wouldn't they take the ring out? And doesn't that imply that Briggs, a good guy, wants the same thing as Mr. C, a bad guy, that being for the FBI to get to Vegas? What was the purpose of planting the body and the head from the POV of Mr. C? He never comments on either. Maddening!
Pinky wrote:The line, 'there were so many people there' is one of my favourites in this season. Don't know if it's more the line itself or if it's Lillard's reading of it, but it's chilling. Like, we can piece together later that it seems like he, Ruth and a still younger Briggs got jumped by the Woodsmen we see when Cole looks through the vortex, but your brain can quite easily imagine that Hastings actually encountered hordes of them.
Yep, I find myself gravitating back to that line a lot, it's such an important plot event and we see absolutely nothing of it, there's almost too much freedom to let your imagination run wild.
My first thought gut level reaction about Briggs' body being found with Ruth Davenport's head was that it was some ritualistic thing, like somehow putting that head on that body created the monster in the glass box in NYC (or perhaps the monster was Briggs' head on Ruth's body, as its body had vaguely feminine features). The mythos that we later got about the Experiment/JUDY/Mother doesn't support that at all, but that was my initial reaction.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

I'm pretty good without new Twin Peaks on the horizon.
Got a David Lynch video every day, life is good.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Soolsma wrote:I'm pretty good without new Twin Peaks on the horizon.
Maybe he could narrate season 4 every day?
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Soolsma wrote:I'm pretty good without new Twin Peaks on the horizon.
Now that he’s posting Rabbits, I’m hoping for the Rebekah del Rio installment! It’s the only one that’s not on the Lime Green DVD, and the only copy I’ve ever found online is lousy quality and has subtitles.

It would also be amazing if he posted that Eraserhead deleted scene that was on his website way back in the day. It’s a crime that that has never been included on a release.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

I think that episode of Rabbits is the pinnacle of what Lynch has reached in terms of his early notion of ''moving paintings''. Naomi singing and talking really, really struck me. What a beautiful voice, sounds so natural.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

The most recent piece by the artist formerly known as Twin Peaks Unofficial Versions, now called Joudy Garland.

"Harry remembers a different version"

krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

https://www.voot.com/shows/twin-peaks/1 ... orn/940120.
This Indian Streaming service has given every episode a title and description. Too dramatic and cringey. Couldn't stop laughing xD
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Was just going through all the trailers for Steven Seagal's movies and noticed that he has worked with quite a few Twin Peaks/Lynch actors in the trailer.
1. Dennis Hopper
2. Tom Sizemore.
3. Harry Dean Stanton.
4. Everett Mcgill.
5. Joan Chen
Edit:
6. Troy Evans (School Principal)
7. Clarence Brocklehurst (The Priest at Laura's funeral)
8. Robert Apisa (Bodyguard that Hawk kills while rescuing Audrey)
9. Wendy Robie
10. Gary Bullock.
11. Linda Porter
12. David Brisbin (One of the Woodsman)

There looks to be more , but am too tired to check them out. Lynch should cast Seagal as BoB. lol
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

krishnanspace wrote:Was just going through all the trailers for Steven Seagal's movies
I was thinking about all of the funny replies that could be made to your post, but then I realized that nothing could beat what you already wrote.

:lol: