Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

FullBlossomOfTheEve

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by FullBlossomOfTheEve »

New Lynch interview with nice tidbits:

With some distance between you and Twin Peaks: The Return, how are you feeling about it?

Twin Peaks: The Return, it’s gold.

If you had your choice, what would you rather make: a feature film or a TV series?

A TV series. Right now. feature films in my book are in big trouble, except for the big blockbusters. The art house films, they don’t stand a chance. They might go to a theater for a week and if it’s a Cineplex they go to the smallest theater in the setup, and then they go to Blu-ray or On Demand. The big-screen experience right now is gone. Gone, but not forgotten.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... or-1290834
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

He doesn’t exactly deny the rumor about a secret Netflix show. First he deflects, then he outright says the rumor is false, but then adds: “It’s a rumor that even if it was true — there’s nothing happening,” presumably referring to the current situation.
BGate
RR Diner Member

Post by BGate »

The other interesting bit
I heard whispers you are working on a secret TV show for Netflix?

There’s all kinds of rumors. I’ve got a show called What Did Jack Do? on Netflix right now. It’s a great show about a monkey. It’s something you’ve got to see. And it will really help you in quarantine.

And the other show?

All these rumors are flying about, but I can tell you that there’s nothing happening in that regard.

OK, so the rumors are false.

It’s a rumor that even if it was true — there’s nothing happening.

He mentions earlier in the interview that doesn't think film production in general will happen until there's a Covid vaccine. So, he seems to be saying that the rumors may or may not be true, but regardless any hypothetical show is on pause. Also says flat out that he's more interested in making a series right now than a feature. I know reading between the lines is a fool's errand but I find his answers here somewhat encouraging.
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:He doesn’t exactly deny the rumor about a secret Netflix show. First he deflects, then he outright says the rumor is false, but then adds: “It’s a rumor that even if it was true — there’s nothing happening,” presumably referring to the current situation.
Even still, that wouldn't be more Twin Peaks. They're not going to switch platforms for a possible new season.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

You never know.Here in India, Twin Peaks was streaming on Hotstar which is owned by Disney. Till 8 months ago, all 3 Seasons were available on it. Recently , Season 3 got removed which is weird. Will mail them asking why is this the case
ManBehindWinkies
Roadhouse Member

Post by ManBehindWinkies »

It's really depressing to think that no film or television productions will be able to resume for quite some time. I hope some can resume before a vaccine is widely available. That could take a very long time and there's really no way to have an accurate time table on when it might happen at this point. Hopefully testing and monitoring will become efficient enough that film and television production can resume.

Better Call Saul's season just finished tonight, it was such a nice distraction to get immersed in that world. It's going to be a real long time before the final season comes out. Hope the world is straightened out by then.
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

Nice to have some action in this thread (my favourite of all threads :-D ) even if there are only tidbits to go on.

There are so many factors against more TP that I am beginning to resign myself to never seeing more. The Conversations with Mark Frost book actually settled me a bit on the ending and what some things meant, so maybe that will have to do.
BGate
RR Diner Member

Post by BGate »

Honestly I think the only big factor is Lynch's interest/if he feels he has any ideas. Frost would clearly jump at the opportunity and has basically said as much. Kyle as well. Showtime who knows but if not they'd find a home for it. Doesn't mean it's likely, in fact I agree it's not as I think Lynch tends to be fickle but if he woke up tomorrow with an idea or was presented with one by Frost there'd be a strong chance, pandemic notwithstanding.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

ManBehindWinkies wrote:It's really depressing to think that no film or television productions will be able to resume for quite some time. I hope some can resume before a vaccine is widely available. That could take a very long time and there's really no way to have an accurate time table on when it might happen at this point. Hopefully testing and monitoring will become efficient enough that film and television production can resume.

Better Call Saul's season just finished tonight, it was such a nice distraction to get immersed in that world. It's going to be a real long time before the final season comes out. Hope the world is straightened out by then.
The Saul writers have been doing a virtual writers’ room for the final season, so at least the scripts will be ready to go once filming can happen! I believe animation productions like The Simpsons and Pixar films are also still happening since most of the work can technically be done virtually, albeit not as efficiently. But yeah, this is a truly strange time. This may end up being the first “lost year” since film was invented.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Animation studios would be having powerful computers and working from home for animators would only be possible if they have powerful machines at home too
ManBehindWinkies
Roadhouse Member

Post by ManBehindWinkies »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
ManBehindWinkies wrote:It's really depressing to think that no film or television productions will be able to resume for quite some time. I hope some can resume before a vaccine is widely available. That could take a very long time and there's really no way to have an accurate time table on when it might happen at this point. Hopefully testing and monitoring will become efficient enough that film and television production can resume.

The Saul writers have been doing a virtual writers’ room for the final season, so at least the scripts will be ready to go once filming can happen! I believe animation productions like The Simpsons and Pixar films are also still happening since most of the work can technically be done virtually, albeit not as efficiently. But yeah, this is a truly strange time. This may end up being the first “lost year” since film was invented.
Apparently they were only planning to start production on Season 6 in September, so if they can get testing/monitoring logistics figured out to safely bring a television cast and crew together by then, hopefully there will be no delay.

As far as any Lynch film/tv projects go, it's hard not to imagine that anything in the works is more or less cancelled based on what he was saying in the interview. He seems quite content to hunker down until everything is completely safe, however long that may be.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Maybe Frost and Lynch are skyping each other? Just like old times
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

ManBehindWinkies wrote:Better Call Saul's season just finished tonight, it was such a nice distraction to get immersed in that world. It's going to be a real long time before the final season comes out.
Yeah, it might even take as long as it did for this season to come out!

It was really great, and about the only thing I was very immersed in, so I'm sad to see it end with no idea whatsoever on when it might return. (And even when it returns, that's the last season, sadly.)
Mr. Reindeer wrote: The Saul writers have been doing a virtual writers’ room for the final season, so at least the scripts will be ready to go once filming can happen!
Writers' Zoom.

Oh, the joys of Zoom. :roll:
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Jasper wrote:
Writers' Zoom.
Dad jokes :)
bob_wooler
RR Diner Member