General Discussion on Season 3 (All Opinions Welcome)

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Re: General Discussion on Season 3 (All Opinions Welcome)

Post by N. Needleman »

I think it definitely made its mark. But prestige TV is such a treadmill now that other shows keep taking ink and oxygen. That said, IMO it's not forgotten by critics or creatives and is very valued and revered.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

I wonder if anybody has mentioned this. S3 has at least one Arthurian reference - Lancelot Court - and I believe another, correct? I was watching "Knightriders" the other day, a movie I'd never viewed despite being a Romero fan. (SPOILER) The movie's characters are inspired by the King Arthur story. In one scene, King Billy goes to a fast food joint and beats up a cop who had earlier assaulted a member of Billy's crew. He takes the cop's gun and throws it into the fryer. It's quite possible this was an inspiration for the fryer scene, and if so, more likely that it came from Frost, I'd say.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

IcedOver wrote:I wonder if anybody has mentioned this. S3 has at least one Arthurian reference - Lancelot Court - and I believe another, correct? I was watching "Knightriders" the other day, a movie I'd never viewed despite being a Romero fan. (SPOILER) The movie's characters are inspired by the King Arthur story. In one scene, King Billy goes to a fast food joint and beats up a cop who had earlier assaulted a member of Billy's crew. He takes the cop's gun and throws it into the fryer. It's quite possible this was an inspiration for the fryer scene, and if so, more likely that it came from Frost, I'd say.
Nice pickup! I haven't seen Knightriders in about five years and forgot about that.
Hester Prynne
RR Diner Member

Post by Hester Prynne »

Went back and watched Parts 8 and 17 last night and just wanted to highly recommend watching these two together. Haven’t had a chance to go back and watch much of TR lately, so it was great going back to experience these episodes again - they seem linked somehow that’s hard to put into words. Have lots of thoughts but not a lot of time so will try to post later, but these two could easily be a separate film. Just wanted to say how awesome it is to watch these two in sequence.
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

Anyone have any ideas of the inspiration behind the character of Red's name? I noticed he had a black corvette and thought perhaps originally it was supposed to be a red corvette and that scene with Richard would've played out as an homage to the Ben/Leo scene from the original series. Anyone know the inspiration of Frost/Lynch well enough to have any theories on why they chose the name Red?
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Post by Cappy »

IcedOver wrote:I wonder if anybody has mentioned this. S3 has at least one Arthurian reference - Lancelot Court - and I believe another, correct? I was watching "Knightriders" the other day, a movie I'd never viewed despite being a Romero fan. (SPOILER) The movie's characters are inspired by the King Arthur story. In one scene, King Billy goes to a fast food joint and beats up a cop who had earlier assaulted a member of Billy's crew. He takes the cop's gun and throws it into the fryer. It's quite possible this was an inspiration for the fryer scene, and if so, more likely that it came from Frost, I'd say.
I love Knightriders -- nice catch on the fryer/gun thing. But now I'm going to be imagining all of the "Billy" mystery is just Audrey talking about Ed Harris on a motorcycle :lol:
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

Cappy wrote: I love Knightriders -- nice catch on the fryer/gun thing. But now I'm going to be imagining all of the "Billy" mystery is just Audrey talking about Ed Harris on a motorcycle :lol:
I really liked it too. I don't know why it took me so long to watch it considering I'm a Pittsburgher and Romero fan.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

vicksvapor77 wrote:Anyone have any ideas of the inspiration behind the character of Red's name? I noticed he had a black corvette and thought perhaps originally it was supposed to be a red corvette and that scene with Richard would've played out as an homage to the Ben/Leo scene from the original series. Anyone know the inspiration of Frost/Lynch well enough to have any theories on why they chose the name Red?
I don't know, but there is this Lynch painting from 2000, wherein a wayward character (named BOB) finds himself out of his depth upon meeting a more imposing character (mister REDMAN). It's a little reminiscent of the meeting of Richard and Red.

Because of wayward activity
based upon unproductive
thinking
BOB meets
mister

R
E
D
M
A
N

oh no

Mister-Redman-2000.jpg
Mister-Redman-2000.jpg (207.64 KiB) Viewed 12954 times
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

Jasper wrote:
vicksvapor77 wrote:Anyone have any ideas of the inspiration behind the character of Red's name? I noticed he had a black corvette and thought perhaps originally it was supposed to be a red corvette and that scene with Richard would've played out as an homage to the Ben/Leo scene from the original series. Anyone know the inspiration of Frost/Lynch well enough to have any theories on why they chose the name Red?
I don't know, but there is this Lynch painting from 2000, wherein a wayward character (named BOB) finds himself out of his depth upon meeting a more imposing character (mister REDMAN). It's a little reminiscent of the meeting of Richard and Red.

Because of wayward activity
based upon unproductive
thinking
BOB meets
mister

R
E
D
M
A
N

oh no
That's wild! Thanks for posting. I love it. On the bottom it also says:

The flames of desire
and the twisted facilitator

I know David Lynch also really likes Barry Adamson, former member of Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds. Barry wasn't in the band when the group released "Red Right Hand" but the lyrics of that song certainly give me pause.

Take a little walk to the edge of town
And go across the tracks
Where the viaduct looms
Like a bird of doom
As it shifts and cracks
Where secrets lie in the border fires
In the humming wires
Hey man, you know
You're never coming back

Past the square, past the bridge
Past the mills, past the stacks
On a gathering storm comes
A tall handsome man
In a dusty black coat with
A red right hand

He'll wrap you in his arms,
Tell you that you've been a good boy
He'll rekindle all the dreams
It took you a lifetime to destroy
He'll reach deep into the hole
Heal your shrinking soul
But there won't be a single thing that you can do

He's a god, he's a man
He's a ghost, he's a guru
They're whispering his name
Through this disappearing land
But hidden in his coat
Is a red right hand…
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

vicksvapor77 wrote: That's wild! Thanks for posting. I love it. On the bottom it also says:

The flames of desire
and the twisted facilitator
Good catch. I completely forgot about that part!
vicksvapor77 wrote: Past the square, past the bridge
Past the mills, past the stacks
This would likely resonate with Lynch, especially since there's no mention of the landscape being befouled with graffiti.
:lol:
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Twin Peaks: The Return just topped another of the most important film magazine's best films of the decade list, topping Cinema Scope's poll. They're perhaps the best North American publication out there.
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

I watched John Carpenter's Starman for the first time in decades. The alien has instances where he just repeats the words of people. Then he goes to Las Vegas and manipulates two slot machines to win a ton of cash. It's probably just a coincidence, but you never know.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Post by Cappy »

IcedOver wrote:I watched John Carpenter's Starman for the first time in decades. The alien has instances where he just repeats the words of people. Then he goes to Las Vegas and manipulates two slot machines to win a ton of cash. It's probably just a coincidence, but you never know.
I've been rewatching a bunch of Carpenter classics lately (Escape from NY, The Fog, Halloween), but I've never once seen Starman before -- guess I have to check it out now.
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

Cappy wrote:I've been rewatching a bunch of Carpenter classics lately (Escape from NY, The Fog, Halloween), but I've never once seen Starman before -- guess I have to check it out now.
It's pretty good but of course can't help but be compared to "E.T." even though I believe it was in development before "E.T." The music is good even though Carpenter didn't compose it. I like Carpenter too, especially his music, and went twice to his music concerts over the past few years.

Oh, and the alien doesn't know what pissing or bathrooms are and is enthralled by the pieces of pie he eats.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Cappy wrote:
IcedOver wrote:I watched John Carpenter's Starman for the first time in decades. The alien has instances where he just repeats the words of people. Then he goes to Las Vegas and manipulates two slot machines to win a ton of cash. It's probably just a coincidence, but you never know.
I've been rewatching a bunch of Carpenter classics lately (Escape from NY, The Fog, Halloween), but I've never once seen Starman before -- guess I have to check it out now.
The Thing is the most relevant Carpenter movie to today’s situation...
F*&^ you Gene Kelly