Twin Peaks VR game

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Re: Twin Peaks VR game

Post by Soolsma »

The steam page says it'll release tomorrow.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Soolsma wrote:The steam page says it'll release tomorrow.
The game wouldn’t work without a VR headset right? In that case I hope someone makes a walkthrough of the game. I would love to see if they have the nuclear explosion from part 8 inVR! Imagine that!
sneakydave
RR Diner Member

Post by sneakydave »

Only seen a couple of comments on Twitter and Reddit thus far.

Nothing positive has been said about the 'experience'.
*M*A*Y*D*A*Y*
ozziejohn
Roadhouse Member

Post by ozziejohn »

There's a problem with the game on Steam at the moment. No game files are actually downloading, just an empty directory. Will let you know my thoughts on the game when it is actually playable!
ozziejohn
Roadhouse Member

Post by ozziejohn »

OK, got in touch with the dev team and they fixed the Steam downloads.

Just finished first playthrough and folks, I have to tell you, it's janky as all hell. Really low quality animations and not very detailed modelling. You can only interact with items that have a purpose in the game. So while it's cool to go into the sheriff station, you can't open drawers, pick up folders, go into all the rooms etc. It really detracts from the immersion.

There are basically six scenes -
Spoiler:
the sheriff's station/Truman's office, the train car/woods, the red room, the glass box room, the mauve zone/american girl/naido space, the station cells/back to Truman's office
There's definitely something pleasing about visiting these scenes, but overall the execution is not very good.
Spoiler:
Yes - the red room has a low red ceiling
Definitely, and I can't emphasise this enough, DEFINITELY not worth forking out the money for a VR headset/PC upgrade. If you were thinking of getting a headset anyway, I can definitely recommend it, but don't think you're going to spend more than an hour and a half MAX in this game.

It feels like a low grade fan-made game - someone just starting to learn how to make environments/preliminary interactivity rather than a polished official product -...but having said that, the actual fan-made VR game - The Archivist - looks really good!
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

I saw the walkthrough on YouTube, the red room having a ceiling looks bad. Makes the red room look like a box
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Haha. That looks pretty funny to play through once. But a cheap knock off it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgT_VgP5ceY <some gameplay

People will be glad to hear
Spoiler:
you can fight BOB with the green boxing glove
:lol: :lol: :lol:
ozziejohn wrote:the actual fan-made VR game - The Archivist - looks really good!
The environments there look much, much better. Definitely people with more skill on that team than Collider's. Too bad the characters in The Archivist don't resemble the original ones too much.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
ozziejohn
Roadhouse Member

Post by ozziejohn »

Screenshot TP.jpg
Screenshot TP.jpg (139.18 KiB) Viewed 14646 times
screenshot
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

Question for any that own this, is there a credits list or anything?

In early articles, Lynch's involvement was mentioned a lot. On the official website come release time, no mention of him at all in that capacity. They had talked up Lynch's role, and said they hoped he would get more involved, and that if he did, and had story ideas, they'd expand the narrative, but if he didn't, they wouldn't try and put narrative in at all. And it seems from the descriptions and walkthroughs there's no narrative, and nothing that screams "Lynch involvement" to me, as if he dropped out pretty quick aside from just approving things. That we can see the ceiling, for instance, just does not at all seem like something Lynch would be okay with, unless they were insistent because it was easier to code it that way. I'm very curious what his involvement was.
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
ozziejohn
Roadhouse Member

Post by ozziejohn »

There's definitely credits. Will take a look and let you know... I think the involvment from Lynch and Frost extends about as far as "inspired by"...
ozziejohn
Roadhouse Member

Post by ozziejohn »

Yeah, there's no mention of Lynch/Frost in the credits except for owning/creating TP.

There's simply no way either were meaningfully involved in the development of this - it's really cheap.
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

Figures. Thanks for getting that back to us.
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
ozziejohn
Roadhouse Member

Post by ozziejohn »

Yeah, took me a while to replay over xmas! Devs seem to be updating every couple of weeks - little tweaks here and there. Have suggested some improvements via steam forum and they replied that they'll look into them - like getting rid of red room ceiling - so we'll see if there's any substantial changes over next couple of months.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

ozziejohn wrote:Yeah, took me a while to replay over xmas! Devs seem to be updating every couple of weeks - little tweaks here and there. Have suggested some improvements via steam forum and they replied that they'll look into them - like getting rid of red room ceiling - so we'll see if there's any substantial changes over next couple of months.

Haha, wasn’t the Red Room ceiling their major selling point for the game? :lol:
ozziejohn
Roadhouse Member

Post by ozziejohn »

You mean dispelling the questions over whether there was one or not? Because it looks like crap being there! There's an awesome Steam VR user made red room environment that is head and shoulders above the official game version. They very tastefully fade the light into shadow leaving a beautiful sense of the infinite....well worth checking out if you've got a headset.