Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

mtwentz
Lodge Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by mtwentz »

No offense to anyone who thinks Lynch/Frost could not find a way to fit Catherine Martell into the story but...

1. Jerry Horne spent the entire show running around the woods...

2. Ben Horne spent most of the show contemplating whether to have sex with his secretary..

3. Dr. Jacoby found a new career as an Internet shock jock and shovel salesman...

4. Nadine Hurley listened to Dr. Jacoby

There is zero doubt they could have found something for Catherine to do. She wouldn't even have to interact with any other characters from the original series (as Audrey did not).
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

Yeah the whole thing is weird to me about Piper if she wanted to come back. Like it’s a party and they left her off the guest list. I’m pretty sure Lynch and Frost had the Cooper arc mapped out as their story, and then whichever cast member were coming back they would develop a story around that... which is why Coooer is so independent from the rest of the action of Peaks. So maybe she did politely decline or something (I have no info on it)... but she could easily have been Catherine Martel the town dog walker who stands on street corners talking about pollution for a scene or two.

Did Fenntalk about wage disparity between the sexes for the Return? I’m pretty sure she knew everyone was making the same amount per day regarding the actors.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

mtwentz wrote:No offense to anyone who thinks Lynch/Frost could not find a way to fit Catherine Martell into the story but...

1. Jerry Horne spent the entire show running around the woods...

2. Ben Horne spent most of the show contemplating whether to have sex with his secretary..

3. Dr. Jacoby found a new career as an Internet shock jock and shovel salesman...

4. Nadine Hurley listened to Dr. Jacoby

There is zero doubt they could have found something for Catherine to do. She wouldn't even have to interact with any other characters from the original series (as Audrey did not).
Hmmm, I see absolutely no reason to think that the writer's stated reason of Catherine not fitting into this particular story isn't legit. Catherine's function was always to be the master manipulator, the one that always kept a string of secret plans and could come up with a new one at a moments notice. I don't think more layers of mystery or soapy intrigue would have added anything of more worth to the season. For a while I did think she would have turned out to be the archivist while reading "The Secret History..." because compiling such a treasure trove of secrets to somehow serve her own interest would have been in character for Catherine Martell.

Piper is an astonishingly talented actress, and if there is a more townspeople centered story next time around I would love for her to be in it.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Audrey Horne wrote:Yeah the whole thing is weird to me about Piper if she wanted to come back. Like it’s a party and they left her off the guest list. I’m pretty sure Lynch and Frost had the Cooper arc mapped out as their story, and then whichever cast member were coming back they would develop a story around that... which is why Coooer is so independent from the rest of the action of Peaks. So maybe she did politely decline or something (I have no info on it)... but she could easily have been Catherine Martel the town dog walker who stands on street corners talking about pollution for a scene or two.

Did Fenntalk about wage disparity between the sexes for the Return? I’m pretty sure she knew everyone was making the same amount per day regarding the actors.
I don't remember any talk of wage disparity; just that all the attention was going to Kyle.

And Catherine as the town dog walker would have been about what her role would have amounted to. I don't think she would have had anything major; just fun and quirky like Jerry Horne's or Dr. Amp's role.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Hester Prynne
RR Diner Member

Post by Hester Prynne »

Playing catch up on the thread, but I interpreted Sherilyn’s tweet more hypothetical and commenting on pay disparities in Hollywood in general as it’s been in the news with Gabrielle Union. If she is talking about something planned for TP, I think her disappointment is understandable as she’s clearly attached to Audrey’s character. Scratching my head as to why her comments would set people off. While she might have artistic differences with Lynch and Frost, I don’t think she’s ever denigrated them or been disrespectful - she’s just saying how she feels. It’s exactly that outspokenness that spurred Lynch to rewrite Audrey’s scenes in The Return which I believe Frost commented at some point was better than the original material.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Audrey Horne wrote:Did Fenntalk about wage disparity between the sexes for the Return? I’m pretty sure she knew everyone was making the same amount per day regarding the actors.
She did at one point during that whole limbo period, IIRC. But AFAIK there was no foundation for it.

My understanding of any potential Catherine appearance, if legit, is it would've been a very spontaneous addition during production that did not pan out for simple, non-sinister reasons.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
tylergfoster

Post by tylergfoster »

Probably being discussed in other threads but the VR game trailer went up and the game is supposed to be out this month, so if the HHM Tweet was specifically talking 2020, it won't be the game.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Maybe the game has hidden secrets or Easter eggs relating to the Season 4 announcement? Lots of games do that. Don’t know how many people are into gaming but Batman Arkham Asylum did that. They had a hidden room which contained the plans and release date for the sequel
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

tylergfoster wrote:Probably being discussed in other threads but the VR game trailer went up and the game is supposed to be out this month, so if the HHM Tweet was specifically talking 2020, it won't be the game.
I would definitely hope not. I don't think that'll get people excited. Having said that, I did happen to pick up an Oculus Rift S on Black Friday, so, I'll definitely be diving into this thing. I do have pretty low expectations on the quality though, even with VR being a relatively new field. I expect it'll feel like a '2016' VR experience, in that it'll be incredibly short and lacking on much interactivity that the real high quality stuff gives.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Holy smokes, are you people seriously still on that "S4" claptrap???
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

Agent Earle wrote:Holy smokes, are you people seriously still on that "S4" claptrap???
*Enters thread with Season 4 in the title, is surprised when people are talking about a possible Season 4*
ozziejohn
Roadhouse Member

Post by ozziejohn »

Rudagger wrote:
Agent Earle wrote:Holy smokes, are you people seriously still on that "S4" claptrap???
*Enters thread with Season 4 in the title, is surprised when people are talking about a possible Season 4*
lol
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Rudagger wrote:
Crucial omission: *... after there was not a single indication about its possibility from ANY of the relevant sources and all people have operated on for the past two months is hearsay, passed around by practically anonymous internet entity with a history of bullshitting.*
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

Earle, there were lot's of rumours and lot's of things that could be counted as possible evidence. Again, if you are only here to spread negativity, please refrain from posting.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

eyeboogers wrote:Earle, there were lot's of rumours and lot's of things that could be counted as possible evidence. Again, if you are only here to spread negativity, please refrain from posting.
I mean, he isn’t wrong. Almost all of the “evidence” was people drawing inferences from innocuous social media posts by the cast. It’s fine for people to speculate, but Earle is also allowed to express his skepticism. Part of the thread’s title is, “Or is it over after this?” Earle’s here to provide that viewpoint!