Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Discussion of Twin Peaks TV Series, Fire Walk With Me, and Books

Moderators: Annie, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne, Brad D

Forum rules
Welcome to the forum. We know our members are passionate about their love for all things Twin Peaks. You wouldn't be here if that wasn't the case. Despite having differing viewpoints it is a policy that we all treat each other with mutual respect.

Posting abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated, or any material that may violate any laws be it of your country or the country where this forum is hosted will get you permanently banned.

Posting of spoilers are allowed as long as you indicate (Spoilers) in the topic name and use the Spoiler Tag.
User avatar
N. Needleman
Posts: 2058
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:39 pm

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Postby N. Needleman » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:13 pm

The story Piper tells is very gracious re: S3 (not being asked) but I don't think it's quite the truth. I think it is a polite Old Hollywood-style fiction, and she makes clear she's still on good terms with the show. My understanding of what may have happened instead is pretty benign.

With Sherilyn I think she's just going through a lot - as usual - and frankly is volatile. She attempted something similar to this during production, claiming the veteran women were not being paid on par with the male stars. No one else in the original cast backed her up, and I believe everyone but Kyle was paid very little. I may want more of Audrey in any future Peaks, but I also think Sherilyn has a lot of perceived worth tied up in the character and show that haunts her. I want her to be well and wish her well. But no, I don't take her seriously on this stuff anymore, I'm afraid.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
User avatar
Cappy
Posts: 467
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:27 am

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Postby Cappy » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:10 am

Since we are speculating on things written for actors who didn't appear, I wonder if the "imposter Phillip Jeffries" bit came about organically in response to David Bowie's passing. It's just such a minor plot point cited off-hand once or twice -- perhaps Lynch/Frost didn't always have that in their original plans. Did David Bowie's death alter the original script all that much?

Then again, the imposter plotline could've been something they had in mind for Chet Desmond or Sam Stanley, but then couldn't get Sutherland or Isaak.

Whatever the reason, I'm glad the imposter plot exists and is introduced so early in S3 -- it creates this weird, impenetrable cloud of mystery that hangs over the rest of the season, and only gets murkier as the story progresses.
User avatar
mtwentz
Posts: 1871
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:02 am

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Postby mtwentz » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:21 am

No offense to anyone who thinks Lynch/Frost could not find a way to fit Catherine Martell into the story but...

1. Jerry Horne spent the entire show running around the woods...

2. Ben Horne spent most of the show contemplating whether to have sex with his secretary..

3. Dr. Jacoby found a new career as an Internet shock jock and shovel salesman...

4. Nadine Hurley listened to Dr. Jacoby

There is zero doubt they could have found something for Catherine to do. She wouldn't even have to interact with any other characters from the original series (as Audrey did not).
"Dougie is COOPER? How the Hell is this!?"
User avatar
Audrey Horne
Posts: 1954
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:20 pm
Location: The Great Northern

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Postby Audrey Horne » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:03 am

Yeah the whole thing is weird to me about Piper if she wanted to come back. Like it’s a party and they left her off the guest list. I’m pretty sure Lynch and Frost had the Cooper arc mapped out as their story, and then whichever cast member were coming back they would develop a story around that... which is why Coooer is so independent from the rest of the action of Peaks. So maybe she did politely decline or something (I have no info on it)... but she could easily have been Catherine Martel the town dog walker who stands on street corners talking about pollution for a scene or two.

Did Fenntalk about wage disparity between the sexes for the Return? I’m pretty sure she knew everyone was making the same amount per day regarding the actors.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
User avatar
eyeboogers
Posts: 536
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:35 am
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Contact:

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Postby eyeboogers » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:58 pm

mtwentz wrote:No offense to anyone who thinks Lynch/Frost could not find a way to fit Catherine Martell into the story but...

1. Jerry Horne spent the entire show running around the woods...

2. Ben Horne spent most of the show contemplating whether to have sex with his secretary..

3. Dr. Jacoby found a new career as an Internet shock jock and shovel salesman...

4. Nadine Hurley listened to Dr. Jacoby

There is zero doubt they could have found something for Catherine to do. She wouldn't even have to interact with any other characters from the original series (as Audrey did not).


Hmmm, I see absolutely no reason to think that the writer's stated reason of Catherine not fitting into this particular story isn't legit. Catherine's function was always to be the master manipulator, the one that always kept a string of secret plans and could come up with a new one at a moments notice. I don't think more layers of mystery or soapy intrigue would have added anything of more worth to the season. For a while I did think she would have turned out to be the archivist while reading "The Secret History..." because compiling such a treasure trove of secrets to somehow serve her own interest would have been in character for Catherine Martell.

Piper is an astonishingly talented actress, and if there is a more townspeople centered story next time around I would love for her to be in it.
User avatar
mtwentz
Posts: 1871
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:02 am

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Postby mtwentz » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:36 pm

Audrey Horne wrote:Yeah the whole thing is weird to me about Piper if she wanted to come back. Like it’s a party and they left her off the guest list. I’m pretty sure Lynch and Frost had the Cooper arc mapped out as their story, and then whichever cast member were coming back they would develop a story around that... which is why Coooer is so independent from the rest of the action of Peaks. So maybe she did politely decline or something (I have no info on it)... but she could easily have been Catherine Martel the town dog walker who stands on street corners talking about pollution for a scene or two.

Did Fenntalk about wage disparity between the sexes for the Return? I’m pretty sure she knew everyone was making the same amount per day regarding the actors.


I don't remember any talk of wage disparity; just that all the attention was going to Kyle.

And Catherine as the town dog walker would have been about what her role would have amounted to. I don't think she would have had anything major; just fun and quirky like Jerry Horne's or Dr. Amp's role.
"Dougie is COOPER? How the Hell is this!?"
Hester Prynne
Posts: 305
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:10 am

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Postby Hester Prynne » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:13 pm

Playing catch up on the thread, but I interpreted Sherilyn’s tweet more hypothetical and commenting on pay disparities in Hollywood in general as it’s been in the news with Gabrielle Union. If she is talking about something planned for TP, I think her disappointment is understandable as she’s clearly attached to Audrey’s character. Scratching my head as to why her comments would set people off. While she might have artistic differences with Lynch and Frost, I don’t think she’s ever denigrated them or been disrespectful - she’s just saying how she feels. It’s exactly that outspokenness that spurred Lynch to rewrite Audrey’s scenes in The Return which I believe Frost commented at some point was better than the original material.
User avatar
N. Needleman
Posts: 2058
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:39 pm

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Postby N. Needleman » Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:06 am

Audrey Horne wrote:Did Fenntalk about wage disparity between the sexes for the Return? I’m pretty sure she knew everyone was making the same amount per day regarding the actors.


She did at one point during that whole limbo period, IIRC. But AFAIK there was no foundation for it.

My understanding of any potential Catherine appearance, if legit, is it would've been a very spontaneous addition during production that did not pan out for simple, non-sinister reasons.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
User avatar
tylergfoster
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:14 pm
Location: Covington, WA
Contact:

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Postby tylergfoster » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:06 am

Probably being discussed in other threads but the VR game trailer went up and the game is supposed to be out this month, so if the HHM Tweet was specifically talking 2020, it won't be the game.
User avatar
krishnanspace
Posts: 1008
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:15 am

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Postby krishnanspace » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:17 am

Maybe the game has hidden secrets or Easter eggs relating to the Season 4 announcement? Lots of games do that. Don’t know how many people are into gaming but Batman Arkham Asylum did that. They had a hidden room which contained the plans and release date for the sequel
User avatar
Rudagger
Posts: 322
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:29 pm

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Postby Rudagger » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:33 am

tylergfoster wrote:Probably being discussed in other threads but the VR game trailer went up and the game is supposed to be out this month, so if the HHM Tweet was specifically talking 2020, it won't be the game.


I would definitely hope not. I don't think that'll get people excited. Having said that, I did happen to pick up an Oculus Rift S on Black Friday, so, I'll definitely be diving into this thing. I do have pretty low expectations on the quality though, even with VR being a relatively new field. I expect it'll feel like a '2016' VR experience, in that it'll be incredibly short and lacking on much interactivity that the real high quality stuff gives.
Agent Earle
Posts: 936
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:55 am

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Postby Agent Earle » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:34 am

Holy smokes, are you people seriously still on that "S4" claptrap???
User avatar
Rudagger
Posts: 322
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:29 pm

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Postby Rudagger » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:39 pm

Agent Earle wrote:Holy smokes, are you people seriously still on that "S4" claptrap???


*Enters thread with Season 4 in the title, is surprised when people are talking about a possible Season 4*
User avatar
ozziejohn
Posts: 60
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:36 pm

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Postby ozziejohn » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:52 pm

Rudagger wrote:
Agent Earle wrote:Holy smokes, are you people seriously still on that "S4" claptrap???


*Enters thread with Season 4 in the title, is surprised when people are talking about a possible Season 4*


lol
Agent Earle
Posts: 936
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:55 am

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Postby Agent Earle » Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:24 pm

Rudagger wrote:
Agent Earle wrote:Holy smokes, are you people seriously still on that "S4" claptrap???


*Enters thread with Season 4 in the title, is surprised when people are talking about a possible Season 4*


Crucial omission: *... after there was not a single indication about its possibility from ANY of the relevant sources and all people have operated on for the past two months is hearsay, passed around by practically anonymous internet entity with a history of bullshitting.*

Return to “Twin Peaks Movie, TV, Books”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 25 guests