Peaks Fans Top 10 TV shows

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

MoondogJR
RR Diner Member

Re: Peaks Fans Top 10 TV shows

Post by MoondogJR »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
MoondogJR wrote:
Jerry Horne wrote:10 Lost
9 Breaking Bad
8 Better Call Saul
7 Monty Python's Flying Circus
6 Thriller (UK)
5 Upstairs, Downstairs
4 Blake's 7
3 Doctor Who ('63-'86)
2 The Prisoner
1 Twin Peaks
I didn't consider Monthy Python because it's a sketch show. Blackadder and Fawlty Towers should be in my top 10 though.
Dammit! This is too hard :)
Haha, I had a very similar reaction when I saw Carnivàle on your list. When I did a quick scan of my DVD/Blu Ray collection, I must have glanced over it. We’re truly suffering from an abundance of riches.

Also, I really don’t get why Knauf doesn’t do a novel or comic book to finish the story. It’s not like a TV extension is ever going to happen at this point.
Glad to see Carnivàle receives the appreciation it deserves :) I would LOVE a continuation of the story, in whatever medium!
"Your log and I are on the same page."
Saturn's child
RR Diner Member

Post by Saturn's child »

TwinsPeak wrote:Saturn’s child- I can’t believe I completely forgot about The Wonder Years. I think I might have to replace number 10 on my list and put in the Wonder Years.
Well, thanks to this thread I found the Wonder Years on Dailymotion & started through it again (after many, many years absence). Just watched Kevin & Winnie slow dance to Otis Redding's "I've been loving you too long" in ep 6. Not as prolonged or tearful as Big Ed & Norma, but still wet the corners of the eyes.
:D

I also saw that at least some of The Prisoner is on youtube (maybe all of it, haven't investigated thoroughly enough) so that's on my list too. I know very little about it -- besides hearing it praised here & there over the years -- so I'm looking very forward to taking that ride.

So yeah, again, good thread idea & glad to see so many chipping in! We all love Peaks so much, makes sense that there'd be some crossover with other TV series.
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

This is such a great idea for a thread! I'm going to be spending years checking out your favourite shows.

Glad to see the Prisoner turn up so much here. When I was 15, I watched Twin Peaks and the Prisoner in the mid 90s on the Bravo TV station, and both blew my mind. Nothing has ever come close to those two, so my top ten would be:

Joint 1+2: Twin Peaks, The Prisoner
3. The Prisoner
4. The Prisoner
5. The Prisoner
6. The Prisoner
7. The Prisoner
8. The Prisoner
9. The Prisoner
10. The Prisoner

Honorary mentions:

The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin: By far the cleverest British sitcom ever made, and much greater than lesser works from the 70s that get all the attention (I'm looking at you Fawlty Towers). It's about a businessman having a nervous breakdown, featuring a legendary performance from Leonard Rossiter, and it is by turns tragic, funny and touching. The best satire of corporate life there has ever been, and writer David Nobbs is a genius.

Minder: Classic, long-running satire of Thatcher's Britain with George Cole and Dennis Waterman as cockney spivs. At its best, its like an 80s take on Ealing comedies every week, and I prefer it to the similarly excellent Only Fools and Horses. I even liked it after Waterman left.

Still Game: This list is making me realise that, outside of 1-10, I really love sitcoms. This Scottish gem is the finest British sitcom of this century. It's a completely unsentimental look at the life of pensioners in Glasgow, and it is superbly written and performed in addition to being very funny indeed. Some episodes just floor me in terms of every creative choice being exactly correct. Like most long running shows, people feel it tails off towards the end, but I've nearly finished all 9 series and am still enjoying it.

Dr Who classic era: already covered above, and it's just essential TV for my generation. I don't mind the remake, but I didn't watch it as a kid, so I can't love it as much as the classic era. There is a charm of the classic era that the modern one doesn't have.

Start Trek TNG: Also covered above. I never saw this in the 90s, because my pesky Dad insisted on having the news on on BBC1 instead. I've watched it as an adult, and I completely fell in love with it. Patrick Stewart is insanely brilliant in it, and I realised to my amusement that I actually fell in love with him a bit when I first started watching it. I was spending days in the office looking for interviews with him, and just loving everythin he ever said and did! I still wonder what Picard would do when faced with a tough choice.

Kids in the Hall: Glorious Canadian humour in the vein Monte Python. Deeply surreal and amazing.

The Bureau: brilliant recent French spy series that is super realistic. Takes into the life of the modern spy in incredible detail, and the politics are also very believable.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

Oh yeah, I love The Prisoner. Put that on my list too!

And Jerry, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, I knew I liked you for a reason.

I love the idea and look of Twin Peaks the most, but it’s a show I just want to shake the crap out of. First season, knocked outta the park but after that, I just always watch thinking you could be so so so so so so so much better, c’mon!
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Twin Peaks
The Wire
Deadwood
Doctor Who (all eras)
Hannibal
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
Star Trek/Star Trek: The Next Generation

I'll have to think on the rest - there's so many - but rest assured as an ABC soap opera baby my soaps are on there. :P Along with Parks & Recreation and I guess the Joss Whedon shows.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Diane
RR Diner Member

Post by Diane »

I don’t really watch TV that much. I haven’t in many years (except for Twin Peaks and Stranger Things).

In no order:

Twin Peaks
Stranger Things
Star Trek (with Leonard Nimoy)
Batman (with Adam West)
Pee Wee’s Playhouse
Get A Life
Lancelot Link
Speed Racer
Saturday Night Live
The Lone Ranger (with Clayton Moore)
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Excluding TP because it's number one. In no particular order although the top ones popped up in my mind quicker for a reason.

Carnivale (Daniel Knauf did publish some conclusion but oofffff, similar feels to BOB in the mirror cliffhanger)
Mr. Robot (can't wait till next sunday)
Utopia (channel 4 UK) (not the reality show but the cult, technicolor conspiracy thriller)
Breaking Bad (of course)
Rick and Morty (Highest rate of jokes per minute ever I believe, super imaginative sci-fi)
Black Mirror (pretty dissapointed in last season)
Fargo (constant tension!)
South Park season 1
True detective season 1

There's more but I can't think of it. I have to say picking TV shows is a tough one because I feel a lot of them lose their touch after their first season. I can't say that I like the format that shows like LOST (though admitted that was my first binge) birthed, all too much. Constant cliffhangers, flashbacks, time-filling subplots, stretched out narrative, yuck. I find miniseries mostly more enjoyable, a good example is Netflix's Maniac.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Carnivale fans; you do know there's that Daniel Knauf interview in which he opens up about what he had planned for coming seasons?

https://tv.avclub.com/daniel-knauf-tell ... 1798236491

And he answers your question about the comic book continuation too, Mr Reindeer.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Soolsma wrote:

There's more but I can't think of it. I have to say picking TV shows is a tough one because I feel a lot of them lose their touch after their first season. I can't say that I like the format that shows like LOST (though admitted that was my first binge) birthed, all too much. Constant cliffhangers, flashbacks, time-filling subplots, stretched out narrative, yuck. I find miniseries mostly more enjoyable, a good example is Netflix's Maniac.
And a lot of them don't develop their very special brand of quality and evolve into masterpieces until only after their first season. :)

Speaking of miniseries - Feud was the one to watch for sure, about longtime diehard rivalry between two Hollywood divas. Although I believe that one was set up to continue beyond season one in an anthology format, where every season was supposed to be tell its own separate story. I think they planned to go with Prince Charles & Diana shenanigans next, but it got dropped for some reason.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Audrey Horne wrote:And Jerry, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, I knew I liked you for a reason.
:D
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Soolsma wrote:Carnivale fans; you do know there's that Daniel Knauf interview in which he opens up about what he had planned for coming seasons?

https://tv.avclub.com/daniel-knauf-tell ... 1798236491

And he answers your question about the comic book continuation too, Mr Reindeer.
Yeah, that’s a terrific interview! I realized that I’ve even posted in the past here about the portion where he says HBO wouldn’t let the rights go: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=3587&p=115711&hilit=Knauf#p115711

And then managed to totally forget about it again! What a shame. I really can’t understand why they would turn down the opportunity to profit off a property they’re otherwise doing nothing with.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

Agent Earle, Feud was the best! I’ve loved the book it was based on since the same time as Peaks, and thought the series knocked it outta the park.

Oh, also love the original The Office.

I’m trying to think of things that hold up over time. I don’t know why but most of the hour long shows don’t for me. And there’s been some excellent half hour smart sitcoms like 30Rock and Community, but I think the style like Modern Family where it uses the reality TV style interviews dates it. For some reason the classic three camera sitcom if done right continues to have the magic.., like you’re watching a one act play. Even the brilliant Seinfeld is starting to slide down a little for me in the timeless department.

I love Honeymooners and I Love Lucy, but I’m constantly shocked how modern and fresh The Dick Van Dyke Show holds up, and consistent it is in its five seasons.
Next, The Mary Tyler Moore’s Show never falters in its seven seasons, and also seems incredibly timely with its issues.
All in the Family highs are so amazing, but goes on a few seasons too many... but O’Connor and Stapleton’s acting is almost unmatched.
MASH also a few seasons too many but stellar, only wish CBS didn’t mandate they needed a laugh track.
Cheers... the Sam, Diane years (especially the first three seasons with Coach) is beautiful writing, and gutsy.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

Agent Earle, Feud was the best! I’ve loved the book it was based on since the same time as Peaks, and thought the series knocked it outta the park.

Oh, also love the original The Office.

I’m trying to think of things that hold up over time. I don’t know why but most of the hour long shows don’t for me. And there’s been some excellent half hour smart sitcoms like 30Rock and Community, but I think the style like Modern Family where it uses the reality TV style interviews dates it. For some reason the classic three camera sitcom if done right continues to have the magic.., like you’re watching a one act play. Even the brilliant Seinfeld is starting to slide down a little for me in the timeless department.

I love Honeymooners and I Love Lucy, but I’m constantly shocked how modern and fresh The Dick Van Dyke Show holds up, and consistent it is in its five seasons.
Next, The Mary Tyler Moore’s Show never falters in its seven seasons, and also seems incredibly timely with its issues.
All in the Family highs are so amazing, but goes on a few seasons too many... but O’Connor and Stapleton’s acting is almost unmatched.
MASH also a few seasons too many but stellar, only wish CBS didn’t mandate they needed a laugh track.
Cheers... the Sam, Diane years (especially the first three seasons with Coach) is beautiful writing, and gutsy.
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

For some reason the classic three camera sitcom if done right continues to have the magic..
Absolutely! I've read so many pretentious articles claiming that the sitcom is dead (a lot of them by thick British writers after the office came out), but it's such a genius format. I think the peak of the British sitcom was the 70s, just in terms of sheer number, and the quality of many is astonishing given that one writer had to churn out endless episodes. But there are many great examples today.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Diane wrote:Lancelot Link
You must earn the prize for the most unexpected inclusion. :lol: