Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

BGate
RR Diner Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by BGate »

If anything Frost RTing/interacting with HHM lends credence to the notion that he's not really aware of the rumors, or at least not the specific one put out by HHM that started this all.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Major media outlets have all picked up that rumor and cited the original source. Of course L/F know.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

N. Needleman wrote:Major media outlets have all picked up that rumor and cited the original source. Of course L/F know.
Again, I honestly don’t know how much attention either of them pays to this kind of stuff. I don’t think Lynch looks at any of it unless Sabrina or someone brings it to his attention. Frost is more likely to have seen various articles retweeted, but he’s obviously much more concerned with politics and other topics. I really don’t think either of them pays attention to the TP rumor mill anywhere close to the way we do.
BGate
RR Diner Member

Post by BGate »

N. Needleman wrote:Major media outlets have all picked up that rumor and cited the original source. Of course L/F know.
Okay but, what is the rumor? It's essentially an anonymous twitter user citing an anonymous source saying that Twin Peaks fans will have "something to be giddy over in 2020". That's it. They never even stated definitively that it's about Season 4 or a film or whatever. Is it really that hard to believe that L/F don't see that as rising to the level of necessitating a public denial? Should they also come out and deny every silly thing Obnoxious and Anonymous put out there?

I agree that the radio silence is interesting, but your level of certainty here is not warranted, imo. I mean, you're essentially saying the lack of comment is 100% validation of the rumor.

I wish one of these "major media outlets" would have done their job and actually reached out for comment, even if a response was unlikely.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

I maintain that all the fan and media possible/probable-TP-continuation hoopla of this fall resulted from the combination of: a) self-promoting publicity stunt of an unimportant and unreliable Internet presence; b) the business-as-usual social media hiccups of some of the cast members; c) lazy, click-baitish journalism. And that's all folks.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

BGate wrote:I agree that the radio silence is interesting, but your level of certainty here is not warranted, imo. I mean, you're essentially saying the lack of comment is 100% validation of the rumor.
No, that's not what I'm saying. I have no idea what will happen. But Frost and Sutherland are certainly aware of these rumors and the source. Pretending they wouldn't be, especially after it hits major outlets, just to keep playing devil's advocate is silly; it requires us to assume they're suddenly much less tuned-in and focused on control over this property and its public image than history has time and again proven they are. Every time we point this timeline out one of you goes 'oh, well, they must not know.' Please. I don't know which Frost or Sutherland you guys were familiar with during production of S3, but that really doesn't sound like them to me.

We're all adults. I don't generally put a ton of stock in random rumors but I also look at the chain of events. The plain facts to me are if there was nothing to discuss, Sutherland at least would've shut this down by the time it made mainstream media. She hasn't.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
BGate
RR Diner Member

Post by BGate »

So, again

1. It's impossible they aren't aware of it.
and
2. It's impossible that they wouldn't shut it down if it was false

which equals

3. It's impossible that the rumor is false

That is what you're saying. I don't see any other way of parsing it.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Of course Lynch, Frost and Sutherland know about the rumors. They don’t live in a bubble. We are in the Internet age. Twin Peaks is a major income generating asset for all these people. I pay attention to politics as much as Frost; I pay more attention to my sources of income and I suspect he does too.

Their silence could mean a few things: it could mean the rumors are true or it could mean they no longer feel the need to shut down rumors etc

Only time will tell. No need to be fighting over what we don’t know. I also think the rumors are likely based on something, but we shall see...
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
ManBehindWinkies
Roadhouse Member

Post by ManBehindWinkies »

BGate wrote: That is what you're saying. I don't see any other way of parsing it.
As a 3rd party observer, I would not parse it that way. People have different opinions on speculation and some seem unduly challenged and argumentative about that. I don't get the point of arguing and insisting someone is saying something they've attempted tp clarify they are not saying. None of us know what's going on. They are either working on something or not. We'll know for sure when we know for sure.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

The key thing that I believe a lot of us are overlooking is in the first (I think) article that picked up the news. I'm too lazy to look back to which website it was, but they claimed that they had a source who told them that a Season 4 was happening, and they said it was the same source who told them other things in the past that they reproted early that ended up being true. Stuff having to do with Star Wars and the upcoming Ghostbusters. That, more than the HHM tweet, makes me curious. The question is whether their source for those rumors is HHM, or the same insider that supposedly spilled beans to HHM, or someone else entirely. Who gave them the inside info in the past? That's the thing that is actually worth finding out about this whole situation, imo. If it was HHM, then that gives them credibility. If it was someone else entirely, then that means its either HHM's same source, which once again lends that source credibility since they've provided correct info before, or it means that a second, different source also knows the rumor. And I do agree with Needleman that Sutherland would have shut this down rather than let it fester and blow over if there wasn't at least something in the works.

Now I don't like to waste time with speculation, as fun as it is, but I thought this was worth remembering since it has been largely ignored in favor of focusing on the initial tweet. Maybe the website's article in question was just going off the HHM tweet and stretched the truth about it being the same source who leaked info to them in the past, but it's still worth looking into.
BGate
RR Diner Member

Post by BGate »

mtwentz wrote:Their silence could mean a few things: it could mean the rumors are true or it could mean they no longer feel the need to shut down rumors etc.
Exactly. But the person I'm conversing (not fighting) with disagrees and thinks it can only mean the former. That's all I'm saying.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

BGate wrote:
mtwentz wrote:Their silence could mean a few things: it could mean the rumors are true or it could mean they no longer feel the need to shut down rumors etc.
Exactly. But the person I'm conversing (not fighting) with disagrees and thinks it can only mean the former. That's all I'm saying.
I think the person you are conversing with may know things you and I don’t. But just for me, who has no knowledge except what’s out in the public, I have to consider the possibility that there is more than one interpretation to L/F’s silence.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

BGate wrote:
You can keep saying that about me and I can keep denying it. In this case only one of us is right.

I don't know if we'll get a Season 3 or if HHM is on the level, which are two different things. I do know there is next to zero chance Lynch/Frost's production arm, and at the very least Sabrina Sutherland and very likely Mark Frost, know of the rumors and now their regularly-cited source. Yet they have done nothing, which is out of character. This to me is significant and indicates something is afoot. This is the last time I am going to clarify my own words for your benefit.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

I think you meant to write close zero chance they don’t know if the rumors. I agree with that.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Next, close, same difference.