Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by JackwithOneEye »

ringbearer wrote:I'd love more Peaks.
But if there is anything to Twin Perfects new 4.5hr video (solid interpretation, that many on these boards have speculated/argued about), maybe there shouldn't be any more
I wouldn’t take Twin Perfects interpretation too seriously.

Lynch lives in his own world , he doesn’t care too much about the viewing audience or feel that strong about TV, violence on TV, so I think he over reaching that Lynch commenting about ‘consumable violence’ and tv being bad .. he’s had lots of praise for breaking bad, mad men, true detective

Some of the bits about the Monica belluci scene and the Bowie scene in FWWM , being meta referential that this is a work of fiction I agree with , but lynch still wants us to think of Judy as a spiritual antagonist and not a metaphor for ‘closure’ I’m pretty sure

The jack rabbits palace being a metaphor for rabbit ear antenna is grasping for straws
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Lynch won an Oscar last night. Not sure if there's a separate thread for it? Kyle, Laura Dern, and Isabella R were all on stage with him.

Any more credible Season 4 buzzings?
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
TwinsPeak
RR Diner Member

Post by TwinsPeak »

You can call me Sherlock Holmes, if you want to, but Lynch, Frost, Sutherland, Nevins and now our own Jerry Horne all keeping quiet. Are good signs that SOMETHING? is indeed a foot.

(expectation level up from 40% to 50%)
"Wanting something to be different will not make it so." "Explaining a different rule is not complaining for months. A lie will never be true." - Dale Cooper: My Life, My Tapes.
mickeyfickey
Roadhouse Member

Post by mickeyfickey »

After seeing how frail and old Lynch looked accepting his Oscar, my expectations for more peaks dropped considerably. He's aged a tremendous amount in the past few years.
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

He did lose a lot of weight at some point after The Return. Whether it was the result of a health scare or an all quinoa diet no one knows. That being said, he seems to have full mobility and a clear head, so I think he still has a major project or two left in him, if he decides he wants to do more. Woody Allen is still making features at 83, let's not give up on David at 73.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

eyeboogers wrote:He did lose a lot of weight at some point after The Return. Whether it was the result of a health scare or an all quinoa diet no one knows. That being said, he seems to have full mobility and a clear head, so I think he still has a major project or two left in him, if he decides he wants to do more. Woody Allen is still making features at 83, let's not give up on David at 73.
I prefer to go with the Clint Eastwood at 89 comparison, for a number of reasons.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

eyeboogers wrote:He did lose a lot of weight at some point after The Return. Whether it was the result of a health scare or an all quinoa diet no one knows.
He really doesn’t seem to eat much. He gave an interview last year where he says all he eats is one piece of bread with mayonnaise and some chicken, twice a day, and vegetable soup.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Jasper wrote:
eyeboogers wrote:He did lose a lot of weight at some point after The Return. Whether it was the result of a health scare or an all quinoa diet no one knows. That being said, he seems to have full mobility and a clear head, so I think he still has a major project or two left in him, if he decides he wants to do more. Woody Allen is still making features at 83, let's not give up on David at 73.
I prefer to go with the Clint Eastwood at 89 comparison, for a number of reasons.
Yeah, at 89 Eastwood is amazing and works very quickly. Allen, even more prolifically, was writing and directing a movie a year without fail, and looks to be back at it. There's potentially a lot of time left for Lynch to find his muse and direct again. 73 ain't old. :)
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

JackwithOneEye wrote:
ringbearer wrote:I'd love more Peaks.
But if there is anything to Twin Perfects new 4.5hr video (solid interpretation, that many on these boards have speculated/argued about), maybe there shouldn't be any more
I wouldn’t take Twin Perfects interpretation too seriously.

Lynch lives in his own world , he doesn’t care too much about the viewing audience or feel that strong about TV, violence on TV, so I think he over reaching that Lynch commenting about ‘consumable violence’ and tv being bad .. he’s had lots of praise for breaking bad, mad men, true detective

Some of the bits about the Monica belluci scene and the Bowie scene in FWWM , being meta referential that this is a work of fiction I agree with , but lynch still wants us to think of Judy as a spiritual antagonist and not a metaphor for ‘closure’ I’m pretty sure

The jack rabbits palace being a metaphor for rabbit ear antenna is grasping for straws
I haven't watched that yet as I am abstaining from Peaks-related material before a rewatch, but in advance I have to say that what you reference here sounds a lot like theories I've put forth. I think there's a ton of meta-stuff throughout the series that can't be ignored, and as others have pointed out, Frost seems to be pretty big into TV, so it could be his commentary that is sneaking through. At any rate, I think The Return is very much conscious of itself in relation to other TV, with the original series serving as the Alpha and The Return the Omega, two poles that - intentionally or unintentionally - address the gap of all the years of television growth in between. That said, I know that Lynch supposedly hasn't watched much of it, and I know he loves the shows you mentioned, and I can see the references to them within The Return.

Along the same lines, and as part of my theory of why the show is so great, I think it's almost always functioning on multiple levels at once, whether intentionally or merely as a result of Lynch's intuitiveness and willingness to be open to receiving signals. So I also do think there's very much something to Judy both representing a spiritual antagonist and a metaphor for closure being the ultimate evil in the world of cinema/TV, especially when you take into consideration the sly disorientation of who is delivering the Judy speech and at what point in the narrative. It certainly fits with Lynch's idea of never solving the original murder and the comments he's made.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

I haven't watched that yet as I am abstaining from Peaks-related material before a rewatch, but in advance I have to say that what you reference here sounds a lot like theories I've put forth. I think there's a ton of meta-stuff throughout the series that can't be ignored, and as others have pointed out, Frost seems to be pretty big into TV, so it could be his commentary that is sneaking through. At any rate, I think The Return is very much conscious of itself in relation to other TV, with the original series serving as the Alpha and The Return the Omega, two poles that - intentionally or unintentionally - address the gap of all the years of television growth in between. That said, I know that Lynch supposedly hasn't watched much of it, and I know he loves the shows you mentioned, and I can see the references to them within The Return.

Along the same lines, and as part of my theory of why the show is so great, I think it's almost always functioning on multiple levels at once, whether intentionally or merely as a result of Lynch's intuitiveness and willingness to be open to receiving signals. So I also do think there's very much something to Judy both representing a spiritual antagonist and a metaphor for closure being the ultimate evil in the world of cinema/TV, especially when you take into consideration the sly disorientation of who is delivering the Judy speech and at what point in the narrative. It certainly fits with Lynch's idea of never solving the original murder and the comments he's made.[/quote]

I suppose it's possible Judy is a metaphor for 'closure', but American Girl's 'Mother is coming' line, and the figure in the New York box being female looking/strongly resembling the figure coming out of the bomb blast, and giving birth to Bob, is suggestive of a mother.. makes me think that Judy is meant to be a negative force conjured up by the sins of man or something. I'm not totally convinced Judy just represents 'explanation in storytelling'.

regarding the violence in The Return, I thought Twin Peaks the town in part was trashier because Bob was permitted 25 years to spread garmonbozia around, and TP was his entrance point, where Audrey raped/ creation of Richard and so forth. I thought it was more about that than a metaphor that TV sucks.

the Twin Perfect part that is dead on is the imagery Lynch is choosing with the episode 8 images of particles of matter to the ocean as analogy to unified field of conciousness. that makes sense to me, he's been lecturing on that topic for the past two decades, it's pretty close to his heart.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

mickeyfickey wrote:After seeing how frail and old Lynch looked accepting his Oscar, my expectations for more peaks dropped considerably. He's aged a tremendous amount in the past few years.
His son seemed to be helping him up to the stage at one point.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

JackwithOneEye wrote: I suppose it's possible Judy is a metaphor for 'closure', but American Girl's 'Mother is coming' line, and the figure in the New York box being female looking/strongly resembling the figure coming out of the bomb blast, and giving birth to Bob, is suggestive of a mother.. makes me think that Judy is meant to be a negative force conjured up by the sins of man or something. I'm not totally convinced Judy just represents 'explanation in storytelling'.

regarding the violence in The Return, I thought Twin Peaks the town in part was trashier because Bob was permitted 25 years to spread garmonbozia around, and TP was his entrance point, where Audrey raped/ creation of Richard and so forth. I thought it was more about that than a metaphor that TV sucks.
I don't disagree with anything you're saying, but I didn't say it was "just" representing explanation in storytelling, I was saying that it is possibly that AS WELL AS the spiritual explanation. Both meanings at once as they do not cancel each other out. Functioning on multiple planes at once, narrative, thematic, etc. One theory takes place on the meta-narrative level, the other takes place thematically right in the narrative itself. That's how this show works for me, and I hold both of those theories in my mind simultaneously because that's how I believe the show is functioning.

And yeah, as I said I hadn't watched the video yet so I wasn't sure exactly where they were coming from with the violence on TV, but I think in general the town in trashier because that is simply the direction of the world, the idealization of the town from the original series has been stripped away, etc. I hadn't considered that it was a metaphor for TV sucking/decaying, but it is sort of interesting to think about.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

I don't disagree with anything you're saying, but I didn't say it was "just" representing explanation in storytelling, I was saying that it is possibly that AS WELL AS the spiritual explanation. Both meanings at once as they do not cancel each other out. Functioning on multiple planes at once, narrative, thematic, etc. One theory takes place on the meta-narrative level, the other takes place thematically right in the narrative itself. That's how this show works for me, and I hold both of those theories in my mind simultaneously because that's how I believe the show is functioning.
I hear ya. I was going off more on the Twin Perfect guy than yourself. If you get around to the Twin Perfect video, let us know what you think. The guy in the vid seems uber self confident and cocky that he decoded it all, also turned me off a bit.

there are plenty of meta things that are legit - the blueish glow on laura's face at end of FWWM does seem to be a call-back to the blue static from the TV, that he using as motif throughout, that maybe she is a TV character. using the actual owner of the Palmer house at the end of The Return, is very suggestive. it's like you've been playing a part, which is like taking part in a dream, and now reality is dawning on you. and Monica Belluci is a person who exists in our reality, it's not like Cole was dreaming of a fictious person, it was an actress from our reality who plays parts in dreams, and it's a coffee shop the real Lynch has been to.

so indeed, there are meta and spiritual things going on at the same time... one thing I got from 'The Art Life' is how much Lynch loved playing with other kids in his childhood, playing war in the playground and making up stories, and the mud thing with little Dicky Smith... he really treasures those memories. that does seem to inform a lot of the improvisational nature of how he wants to make movies, especially as he's gotten older, and really fully involved in the playing himself in The Return, giving such a large part to Cole.
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

mickeyfickey wrote:After seeing how frail and old Lynch looked accepting his Oscar, my expectations for more peaks dropped considerably. He's aged a tremendous amount in the past few years.
Too hard to make any kind of judgement about his condition based on a 60 second one angle appearance, but I must admit I was shocked by how old he came across (not just in appearance but in speech too). Although he did seem very nervous. I suppose Lynch doesn't get out much anymore if his press bits are anything to go by.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

The speech from Kyle and Laura Dern was very touching and emotional.

Was surprised to see no one had started a thread on him winning the Oscar, so created one over on the David Lynch section of the forum:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4133&p=121783#p121783
(includes videos of him receiving the award, opening speeches by Isabella Rossellini, Kyle MacLachlan, and Laura Dern, plus some news articles)
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.