Twin Peaks: From Z To A 12/10 & The Television Collection 10/15 Blu-Ray & DVD Sets

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Re: Twin Peaks: From Z To A 12/10 & The Television Collection 10/15 Blu-Ray & DVD Sets

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Has anyone in the US gotten an email that the set is delayed? Amazon still has it listed in December.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Re: Twin Peaks: From Z To A 12/10 & The Television Collection 10/15 Blu-Ray & DVD Sets

Post by LateReg »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:Has anyone in the US gotten an email that the set is delayed? Amazon still has it listed in December.
No. But I was for some reason always under the impression that the US would get it first followed by other territories. Something about the original announcement but I'm not sure what.
beano
Roadhouse Member

Post by beano »

this article has an exclusive clip from the new sheryl and kyle interview that will be on the from z to a box set..

https://io9.gizmodo.com/kyle-maclachlan ... wsource=cl
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

beano wrote:this article has an exclusive clip from the new sheryl and kyle interview that will be on the from z to a box set..

https://io9.gizmodo.com/kyle-maclachlan ... wsource=cl
With it being McKenna and not Lynch moderating, and Kyle rocking his silverfox look this doesn't seem likely to branch into any kind of "Between Two Worlds" goodness :-/
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

The silverfox look suggests that this was shot recently as opposed to sometime during Season 3
Piers

Post by Piers »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:Wow! So if I’m reading that correctly, we’re getting a half-hour BTS feature for each Part. And my understanding is that the documentaries from the old set will be on there as well (“The Man with the Grey Elevated Hair,” etc.), so this will be 9 hours of additional, previously unseen footage, correct?

And the MacLachlan/Lee conversation is 90 minutes?! Aces.
~7 Hours of new Special Features have been confirmed. These include the 90 min. Kyle/Sheryl interview, 1 hour+ Roadhouse performances and the Kimmy/Harry Interview.

So I‘m afraid this would mean Behind the Curtain will be mostly the same Jason S. + Charles de Lauzirika material from the previous release, just re-arranged by episode and extended by estimatedly 3 hours of new material in total.
BGate
RR Diner Member

Post by BGate »

That what's I had sort of expected, although even 3 more hours of that stuff is a gift.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

To sum it all up, there's practically nothing here that would justify them releasing - and me purchasing - this "new" set. Nothing of essence, at least.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Agent Earle wrote:To sum it all up, there's practically nothing here that would justify them releasing - and me purchasing - this "new" set. Nothing of essence, at least.
I have to agree with you on this one.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

I'll go one step further: it's a shame Lynch & Frost have given in to this sort of corporative milking of the fans of the lowest calibre. Providing they've endorsed this release, of course.
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

Agent Earle wrote:I'll go one step further: it's a shame Lynch & Frost have given in to this sort of corporative milking of the fans of the lowest calibre. Providing they've endorsed this release, of course.
Of course they endorse it, or it wouldn't exist. Neither would the slew of merch that's been out, most of it terrible (hideous figures, bargain bin trinkets, hundreds of T-shirts, hundreds of dollars of collectible cards that are just screengrabs) since right around before the premiere. I'd say it's nothing new to Peaks, because there was a concerted tie-in campaign for the original too, but at least that was almost entirely quality content with contributions by integral staff. The closest to a milking tie-in would have been the Cooper cassette, which I always found lazy from a writing standpoint, but at least Kyle participated. Maybe the board games came close?

Lynch & Frost have, and always have had, complete veto over the branding, per being owners of Twin Peaks Productions Inc., the seal of which is on all non-bootleg merch. They viewed franchising, ever since the original made it past the greenlight, as part of what they were intentionally doing. Frost had brought up how, as a kid, he owned tie-in lunchboxes to TV shows, and wanted to replicate that kind of "nostalgic" branding. At one point they even wanted novelties such as a pull-and-speak log, though that never came to pass.

Lynch tweeted about the set days after it was announced, and he's the source of the first glimpse at the 4K disc, which he seems to be emphasizing as an important inclusion. He tweeted out his non-support of the Lost Highway Bluray just this year before it hit the streets, so if he had ill thoughts, he'd have voiced them by now.

As for me, I own 3 Evangelion box sets that render each other obsolete that I bought over the last 20 years just because as physical items they're super cool, so the idea of an elaborately boxed Twin Peaks release makes this attractive to me. I bought the Criterion FWWM and the only new thing there (aside from no more sync-issue) was short interviews, so hours-worth of, even better, Lynch fiddling around on the sets, is icing. I can understand the dismissal, but look at the set from the perspective of a new fan who is looking to buy for the first time, or those who held off on the return Bluray--it's a pretty clear improvement, shelf-space and content-wise, over the old sets now.

Now as for lazy and pointless, the Complete Television Collection, clunky name aside, is hideous and has NOTHING new. That one is totally just some sort of stockholder calculation.
Last edited by AXX°N N. on Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Agent Earle wrote:I'll go one step further: it's a shame Lynch & Frost have given in to this sort of corporative milking of the fans of the lowest calibre. Providing they've endorsed this release, of course.
Earle, if I may...you are my favorite "negative" (regarding the Return) poster on this site. I consider you a friend, in fact. A good man. But you are really being overly negative lately! What's the deal?

I know you don't care about 3 (or even 6) more hours of BTS stuff. If the deduction you are responding to is true - that the existing footage will be spliced with new footage - it is somewhat disappointing, mainly because it makes watching both BTS features a tad redundant. But that footage - as I've already said - is very valuable stuff, and the 6-hours that are already available on the previous box has been called by at least one review site the greatest special feature ever released on a television box set, which I personally agree with. Putting that into perspective, regardless of our differing personal taste, I think that more of that BTS stuff is invaluable and potentially revealing (both in terms of his fascinating and entertaining working methods and possible insight into the narrative/themes, as well as the rarity of access to both throughout his career), whether its 6 hours or just 3. Plus, you get a 90 minute Kyle/Sheryl Lee interview, a Kimmy/Harry short, uncut Roadhouse performances, nifty packaging, and very importantly to me, a 4k disc. I don't care that the disc only has the pilot and Part 8, and may only be a precursor to another box set...it's still very much something to look forward to within THIS box set. I cannot wait to glimpse those parts - especially those parts! - in 4k. If the price tag is too high, I get that. But I think those extras are more than enough perks for me to double/triple/etc. dip again. Contrary to how you feel, this seems to me to be a package that a lot of care has gone into in order to make it worthwhile for fans who they know will be buying again. Now, if there is indeed a Season 4, then I would think that that makes your cash-grab negativity regarding this box more valid. But we all know there won't be a Season 4... :)
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

LateReg wrote:
Earle, if I may...you are my favorite "negative" (regarding the Return) poster on this site. I consider you a friend, in fact. A good man. But you are really being overly negative lately! What's the deal?

I know you don't care about 3 (or even 6) more hours of BTS stuff. If the deduction you are responding to is true - that the existing footage will be spliced with new footage - it is somewhat disappointing, mainly because it makes watching both BTS features a tad redundant. But that footage - as I've already said - is very valuable stuff, and the 6-hours that are already available on the previous box has been called by at least one review site the greatest special feature ever released on a television box set, which I personally agree with. Putting that into perspective, regardless of our differing personal taste, I think that more of that BTS stuff is invaluable and potentially revealing (both in terms of his fascinating and entertaining working methods and possible insight into the narrative/themes, as well as the rarity of access to both throughout his career), whether its 6 hours or just 3. Plus, you get a 90 minute Kyle/Sheryl Lee interview, a Kimmy/Harry short, uncut Roadhouse performances, nifty packaging, and very importantly to me, a 4k disc. I don't care that the disc only has the pilot and Part 8, and may only be a precursor to another box set...it's still very much something to look forward to within THIS box set. I cannot wait to glimpse those parts - especially those parts! - in 4k. If the price tag is too high, I get that. But I think those extras are more than enough perks for me to double/triple/etc. dip again. Contrary to how you feel, this seems to me to be a package that a lot of care has gone into in order to make it worthwhile for fans who they know will be buying again. Now, if there is indeed a Season 4, then I would think that that makes your cash-grab negativity regarding this box more valid. But we all know there won't be a Season 4... :)
OK, I'll admit I was perhaps a bit too grouchy. I guess the continuous disappointment with S 3 and at the fact that the recent development (or non-development) regarding the promising S 4 (or a movie) rumours means S 3 will probably be the very last bit of TP I'll see in my lifetime took their toll on me. Plus like I said before, the behind-the-screen stuff doesn't interest me as much as hearing about the "dirty details" regarding the genesis of the series, from first Lynch's & Frost's conceptualisations of its themes and ideas, to the adjustments the creators were forced to make during the production process for various reasons (I'm dying to know what the "Easter 2015" glitch with Showtime was all about, or what happened with Ontkean), to the casting process etc. But realising this will remain my humble wish, a pipe dream, so to speak, I'll tone down my "negativity", as you put it, and stop raining on everyone's parade - after all, I'm in minority on this forum with my sentiments, at least since other Profoundly Dissapointed ones have moved on.

And thanks very much for your kind words! Even if the latest TP was not what I was hoping for, coming here and reading opinions of fellow fans - especially those well-articulated and generally thoughtful as yours - has been a pleasure of mine since 2014 or so. Keeping fingers crossed it will remain so :)
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

I have to say Agent Earle. I love still having you around regardless of your polarized opinion as opposed to most of this forum. Even when you're being at your most ''negative''.

I also strongly dislike corporate milking. But yeah, that's just the way modern media works. Unfortunately.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
TwinsPeak
RR Diner Member

Post by TwinsPeak »

I'm pretty sure we want Twin Peaks to make a lot of money.....No one has to buy it, it's optional.
"Wanting something to be different will not make it so." "Explaining a different rule is not complaining for months. A lie will never be true." - Dale Cooper: My Life, My Tapes.