What level of involvement from Lynch/Frost would you accept should the show continue?

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

What level of involvement from Lynch/Frost would you accept should the show continue?

I'm a fan of the show regardless of who's writing and directing it.
3%
I'm a fan of the show regardless of who's writing and directing it - BUT Lynch and Frost have to give their blessing.
3%
Lynch and Frost must have some input (even if just writing/directing the first episode and a little creative input).
3%
Lynch and Frost must have a good deal of input and be guiding hands for the show, carefully hand-picking other writers and directors, plus Lynch needs to direct occasional, regular, or semi-regular episodes and Frost should occasionally write a lot of episodes.
27%
Every episode must be written by Lynch and Frost and every episode must be directed by Lynch, just like The Return.
63%

Total votes: 30
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Just curious what the consensus on this would be from fans, especially now. Has The Return set a new precedent that EVERY episode must be directed by Lynch and co-written by him and Frost? Or would you still be willing to watch the show if they collaborated with others or even took a backseat but gave their blessing to others? What's the minimum level of involvement you'd accept/expect to still watch?
Last edited by Jonah on Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Re: Would level of involvement from Lynch/Frost would you accept should the show continue?

Post by mtwentz »

Hmmmm...as long as what I watch is enjoyable, I will watch it. But as long as Lynch and Frost are both alive, I don’t think It is too likely to get any other combo of director/ writers. But then again, anything is possible. I never thought George Lucas would sell out to Disney.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
BGate
RR Diner Member

Re: Would level of involvement from Lynch/Frost would you accept should the show continue?

Post by BGate »

I guess I would watch it if they were only nominally involved, but my level of excitement would be near zero.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Every episode must be written by Lynch and Frost and every episode must be directed by Lynch, just like The Return.
This is closest to my opinion, but I'd be OK with Lynch and Frost taking Peyton and/or Engels aboard to help with dialogue and whatnot.
ManBehindWinkies
Roadhouse Member

Post by ManBehindWinkies »

Before Season 3 I would have been happy with a setup similar to the original series... a writer's room with Lynch directing key episodes. But after the precedent set by Season 3 anything less than Frost and Lynch writing the whole thing and Lynch directing it all would be less than ideal. But I still think I'd be on board, hypothetically given it's unlikely, with the the former setup. The only thing that would really kill my interest would be if Lynch was not directing at all.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

ManBehindWinkies wrote:Before Season 3 I would have been happy with a setup similar to the original series... a writer's room with Lynch directing key episodes. But after the precedent set by Season 3 anything less than Frost and Lynch writing the whole thing and Lynch directing it all would be less than ideal. But I still think I'd be on board, hypothetically given it's unlikely, with the the former setup. The only thing that would really kill my interest would be if Lynch was not directing at all.
Agreed. I would watch even if L/F were completely uninvolved, for at least a few episodes out of curiosity/loyalty to the brand, but anything less than the formula we got for S3 would be a disappointment for me on principle.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

The less post-FWWM Lynch the better. The more pre-FWWM Lynch the better. Vote-wise, I went with the 4th option.
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

I don't support any continuation, but if it happened, it must only be Lynch-directed even if an additional writer is involved and even if Frost isn't involved. I can take or leave Frost having anything to do with it, but Lynch being the sole director is non-negotiable. Having anybody else come in is just silly, so totally ridiculous. It'd be going backwards. "Peaks" is now the world of S3, and that world is a Lynch creation. The idea of bringing in somebody else just to have "Peaks" content is absurd.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

"Season 3" is no Peaks. It's just about everything else, but Peaks it definitely ain't.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I voted for Option 4, but I land somewhere between Options 3 and 5. Obviously, having Lynch and Frost do it all again, like they did with The Return, would be ideal. But I'd be quite on board with Showtime giving us another season or two with strong involvement from Lynch/Frost and others collaborating with them, provided Lynch/Frost mapped out the seasons and picked the other writers and directors. The way I see it, that would take some pressure off of Lynch and Frost, but also give us the show with their involvement. Sort of like Season 1 or the first half of Season 2 - but perhaps with slightly more involvement. I'd love to see several episodes directed by Lynch and most episodes co-written by Lynch and Frost, but I don't think they necessarily need to write/direct every single one, provided the other writers/directors are following a strict plan or guidelines set in place by them. Not sure if this is even something they'd want to do, though.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

IcedOver wrote:....if it happened, it must only be Lynch-directed even if an additional writer is involved and even if Frost isn't involved. I can take or leave Frost having anything to do with it, but Lynch being the sole director is non-negotiable....
Sounds like this is the intent for Wisteria/Unrecorded Night, though it remains to be seen if it's TP.
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Re: What level of involvement from Lynch/Frost would you accept should the show continue?

Post by Stavrogyn »

I would watch any kind of "official" Twin Peaks continuation, even if the IP would be bought and ruined by Disney (god forbid). However, WATCHING is quite different from "hoping for", "expecting" or "approving" something. I would watch anything, but that does not mean I would necessarily hope for it to happen or approve of it.

Any potential continuation should be directed solely by Lynch, and I firmly believe he wouldn't have it any other way. The Return was his magnum opus and there is no going back. So many people in this world lack principles, but I don't believe David Lynch is one of them.

As for writing, it should be either Lynch and Frost, or just Lynch.

I don't really see any other way.
All those years living the life of someone I didn't even know - Knight of Cups (2015)