Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

mojo1976
Roadhouse Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by mojo1976 »

I would love to see a storyline/timeline where Josie has become Catherine’s caretaker in a bizarre Lynchian Baby Jane/Grey Gardens way. Something where these two people who have always hated each other are trapped together forever.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Jonah wrote:A lot of the TP actors in general - male and female - never seem to have gone on to much.
Many of the TP cast—many of whom were completely unknown before the show—went on to have very successful careers as TV guest/recurring players and in some cases as film supporting actors, many working continuously up to the present day. That’s nothing to sneeze at. They’re working regularly and making a living from their art. They didn’t become movie stars, but most TV actors don’t. Look at Bryan Cranston, who has mostly been doing Broadway and supporting roles in movies since Breaking Bad ended, or Aaron Paul, who has struggled to find success in film and is now back to TV, or Jon Hamm and the cast of Mad Men. It’s just the nature of the beast. People who actually made the transition to film like Will Smith, Steve Carrell, Jennifer Aniston, Bruce Willis, Pierce Brosnan are the rare exception.

One thing that is true is that it’s tougher for women to land roles as they get older though. Kudos to Fenn and Amick for sticking around, and I hope we continue to see both of them for years to come. I really do hope LFB manages some kind of comeback too. I do think she had a hard adjustment to becoming a celebrity and it clearly took a personal toll on her. As for Moira Kelly, I got the sense that her heart was never fully in Hollywood. She was very religious and said she had to ask her priest before doing the nudity in FWWM. According to Wikipedia, she lives in Texas with her family, and I’m sure she’s very happy. It looks like she picks up minor TV movie roles here and there when she feels like it.
Last edited by Mr. Reindeer on Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I phrased it perhaps indelicately. What I meant was, none of them became major superstars, like I assumed many thought they would. I had hoped they'd all go on to have much bigger careers than they did. And many of them - Everett McGill, Michael Ontkean, and more - seemed to have disappeared from acting altogether. I know that a lot of the others - Madchen Amick, Kyle MacLachlan, etc. - went on to have respectable careers. But I would have loved if they'd become much bigger stars. My comment was not meant to criticize them in any way.

You're right that many TV stars don't make the transition to movie stars. Jon Hamm, Matthew Fox from LOST, any of the Friends cast apart from Jennifer Aniston (and I like her a lot but think she could pick better movies - they're very successful but having watched most of them, I don't think they're very good, but she has major understated talent that can be seen in movies like The Good Girl, Cake, etc.)
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Soolsma wrote:
mtwentz wrote:
Soolsma wrote:I just don't think Kyle would have added a ''probably not'' if there was in fact something brewing he knew about as of recently. There is also definitely not a clause in an NDA which forces him to say that instead of just ''maybe''.

So yeah, he's not saying anything different from before, but I think most of us had expected that something would have changed recently. :roll:
He’s Kyle MacLachlan the actor, not Agent Cooper the Boy Scout :-)
Sorry. What? I do not understand this remark :p
Cooper would never tell a lie.

Kyle, however, might fudge the truth in order to keep a secret.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Showtime, aware of the rumours, nevertheless innocently tweets this.
Attachments
tweet.png
tweet.png (307.52 KiB) Viewed 8187 times
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
sneakydave
RR Diner Member

Post by sneakydave »

Jonah wrote:Showtime, aware of the rumours, nevertheless innocently tweets this.
I highly doubt this is anything to pay attention to.
*M*A*Y*D*A*Y*
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Can someone kidnap David Nevins and tickle his feet with a feather until he talks. Please.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

sneakydave wrote:
Jonah wrote:Showtime, aware of the rumours, nevertheless innocently tweets this.
I highly doubt this is anything to pay attention to.
Oh, I know. Probably not, but good to know they're keeping the brand alive. They're also pushing TP items for Halloween in another Twitter post.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Jonah wrote:I phrased it perhaps indelicately. What I meant was, none of them became major superstars, like I assumed many thought they would. I had hoped they'd all go on to have much bigger careers than they did. And many of them - Everett McGill, Michael Ontkean, and more - seemed to have disappeared from acting altogether.
I didn’t think you meant to criticize them. I was just pointing out that the assumption was flawed, and they’ve mostly been very successful given the norm in the industry.

McGill retired completely voluntarily, and by his own account is quite happy living off the grid where no one in Hollywood knows how to reach him. I imagine much the same is true of Ontkean, who worked for longer after TP than McGill did and is a little easier to find, but has spent like a decade and a half in semi-retirement refusing to leave Hawaii. I’ve always gotten the sense that neither of them suffers fools gladly, and both got tired of the Hollywood bullshit for their own reasons. Both also seem to have lives, hobbies and interests that are more important to them than celebrity or acting.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Let’s fund and star in season 4 ourselves:)
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
Jonah wrote:A lot of the TP actors in general - male and female - never seem to have gone on to much.
Many of the TP cast—many of whom were completely unknown before the show—went on to have very successful careers as TV guest/recurring players and in some cases as film supporting actors, many working continuously up to the present day. That’s nothing to sneeze at. They’re working regularly and making a living from their art. They didn’t become movie stars, but most TV actors don’t. Look at Bryan Cranston, who has mostly been doing Broadway and supporting roles in movies since Breaking Bad ended, or Aaron Paul, who has struggled to find success in film and is now back to TV, or Jon Hamm and the cast of Mad Men. It’s just the nature of the beast. People who actually made the transition to film like Will Smith, Steve Carrell, Jennifer Aniston, Bruce Willis, Pierce Brosnan are the rare exception.
I agree there's a big difference between being an actual MOVIE STAR and having a successful career. I do think that Jon Hamm and Bryan Cranston straddle the line between the two more than most, though, because of the level of their success. Interesting to note their different paths. Hamm recently starred ostensibly popular things like Baby Driver and Tag along with the rare highbrow piece like Marjorie Prime, whereas Cranston's major movie roles are all engineered for potential Oscar success. I finished a rewatch of Breaking Bad last week and remarked that the worst thing about it is that - while I believe Cranston delivered one of the finest performances in TV history - it turned Cranston into some kind of movie star, and ever since he's been racking up the Trumbos and the Last Flag Flyings, giving very good performances in decent, would-be-award-winning films that nonetheless don't excite me in the slightest (compared to his portrayal of Walter White).
Audrey Horne wrote: And yes, watch Breaking Bad. Easily the best one hour drama for me in entirety. They were making it up season to season and it is seamless and beautiful, a true hat trick. I loved Mad Men but hated the finale so it lost me. The Wire, amazing but a little shaken last season. And ironically, while I love Twin Peaks, it’s more for the aesthetics, best cast of characters and potential... I don’t the story is very good or tight past the first season (only parts).
Breaking Bad definitely bears the distinction of being the most consistent and consistently visceral drama that I've ever seen. But it's so plot-driven that I always have to rank it below The Wire, Sopranos, & Mad Men, as I just think there's more there in those other series.
Agent Earle wrote:That The Wire's last season jumps the shark is one of the biggest blunderings of popular opinion.
I think it may get off to a slow start, but I think the final five or so episodes are great. I also think that what you're looking at there is no longer utmost realism, but satire regarding the system, and once it gets its hooks in it's a quite powerful display of what the series was always about: people just trying to do the right thing, but not being allowed to do so.

Back on topic, once again I don't see Kyle's statement in that interview meaning one thing or another. It doesn't offer to prove or disprove anything or alter my perception of this wacky situation in the slightest.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

First of all regarding my post.... yikes, I suck at typing on an iPad... those typos!

Breaking Bad worked for me in its entirety the most successfully in the hour format. In the hourly serial format that is relatively new. I’m racking my brain for the one hour format prior to Dallas that wasn’t a self contained series. Whereas I have vast knowledge of the 30min sitcom ranking the American hallmarks of excellence to The Dick Van Dyke Show, All in the Family, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, early Cheers, etc.

And The Wire, Sopranos, Mad Men are all there for me. I jinxed myself by declaring Mad Men the finest one hour drama right before the finale and the hated it so much that I need time to go back and enjoy the series again.

But I think Breaking Bad hit me like Peaks did initially. I feel in love with the characters that they were real to me. Jesse Pinkman and Walter a White had the best chemistry to me since ...well, Cooper and Audrey.

And while I complain about Peaks the most, it’s really because I love its potential so, so much. And still root for it to come back more glorious than before.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
BGate
RR Diner Member

Post by BGate »

Going back to that Kyle interview, what would a hypothetical answer to that question look like in a world where there is indeed new TP in the works and Kyle knows about it? He's not going to confirm it, obviously, and a genuine No Comment is as good as a confirmation. So...he basically has to lie, and "unlikely" is sort of a weasel word where he can even tell himself he's not flat out lying.

Or it could be that nothing's happening and that's his honest answer.

I don't think it tells us much either way, is my point. And this is new territory for him and others since nobody had any expectations of new TP before October 2014 and thus there was no reason to ask Kyle et al direct questions about it.
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

Remember Lynch exploding in the behind the scenes Season 3 footage: "I'm NOT WORKING this way again, EVER! THIS IS HORRIBLE!"

I think he meant it. I don't think Lynch would ever again spend years writing a script, only to then spend months (a couple years?) negotiating over money, money, money, then completely walk away from the project only to be lured back after Sabrina did the rest of the negotiating. And even then, he was still tied down to a tight production schedule that caused him grief, and caused him to specifically warn Sabrina and others that he'll never do it again. I don't think he said that because he DIDN'T mean it.

So really, I think coming back would require Showtime's people to go to Lynch and say "If we give you X amount of money and X weeks of filming, would you work with us again?" I doubt it's EVER done this way, (essentially a blank check for David Lynch to do... Something about Twin Peaks) and THAT is why it's highly unlikely more Twin Peaks will happen.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

BGate wrote:Going back to that Kyle interview, what would a hypothetical answer to that question look like in a world where there is indeed new TP in the works and Kyle knows about it? He's not going to confirm it, obviously, and a genuine No Comment is as good as a confirmation. So...he basically has to lie, and "unlikely" is sort of a weasel word where he can even tell himself he's not flat out lying.

Or it could be that nothing's happening and that's his honest answer.

I don't think it tells us much either way, is my point. And this is new territory for him and others since nobody had any expectations of new TP before October 2014 and thus there was no reason to ask Kyle et al direct questions about it.
He could just say "I would be open to doing more".
Will there be another season? is what he was asked. “I don’t think very likely, but never say never" was his answer. Why not just say "I hope so" or "we'll see" or "I don't know yet" or "I haven't heard any yet." He was also asked: Would he want to do one another? “Yes, immediately. I would" was his response, which is very positive. But why say "unlikely" unless he really does think it's unlikely?

I want there to be another season - and I think there will be one - but it does bother me that he said "unlikely".
bosguy1981 wrote:Remember Lynch exploding in the behind the scenes Season 3 footage: "I'm NOT WORKING this way again, EVER! THIS IS HORRIBLE!"

I think he meant it. I don't think Lynch would ever again spend years writing a script, only to then spend months (a couple years?) negotiating over money, money, money, then completely walk away from the project only to be lured back after Sabrina did the rest of the negotiating. And even then, he was still tied down to a tight production schedule that caused him grief, and caused him to specifically warn Sabrina and others that he'll never do it again. I don't think he said that because he DIDN'T mean it.

So really, I think coming back would require Showtime's people to go to Lynch and say "If we give you X amount of money and X weeks of filming, would you work with us again?" I doubt it's EVER done this way, (essentially a blank check for David Lynch to do... Something about Twin Peaks) and THAT is why it's highly unlikely more Twin Peaks will happen.
I didn't see that clip myself (is it available online? I have the blu-ray but so far haven't gotten around to wading through all that footage as there seems to be hours of it - i'd like to watch highlights from it/the best bits only), but I'm worried this may be the case here.

Look at Wes Craven - he put up with tons of abuse from the Weinsteins, on Scream 3, then on Cursed, and even on his last film, Scream 4. Tons of meddling, production nightmares, unfinished scripts, tight schedules. Cursed was the worst example. But they put him through a lot even on the final Scream film he got around to directing. He was a similar age to Lynch - but I think more willing to put up with stuff like that, though he did say he wouldn't work on another Scream unless there was a completed script. Sadly, he never got to do more movies.

I can see Lynch not wanting to deal with anything like this either. Now, it doesn't sound like Showtime were nearly as bad as the Weinsteins, but in the past Lynch did put up with a lot from others such as ABC (on the original TP, then on Mulholland Drive). I don't think he ever dealt with the same amount of crap or production meddling as Wes Craven (correct me if I'm wrong?), and I think at times he was given a lot of free reign, but Lynch does strike me as quite temperamental and very true to his artistic vision, so I imagine he would find even minor tampering/restrictions pretty bad. I mean, the guy didn't make a movie for over 10 years after "Inland Empire". It couldn't have all been down to not getting money to fund one. I imagine a lot of it was not getting enough money or enough freedom to make what he wanted to make.

So Lynch being reluctant to deal with budget/production restrictions again could be what makes more TP unlikely as opposed to Showtime not wanting it, or Lynch/Frost struggling to come up with story ideas. If there's any reason we might not see more TP, it could be Lynch just not wanting the hassle of dealing with Showtime or other restrictions.

It's why I've always said I'd love to see Lynch do another TP movie, then launch more seasons of TP with Showtime and Frost, but not necessarily have to write/direct every single one. I know people here don't like that idea, but I'd love to see more TP from Lynch, just I'd like him to be able to dip in to that world whenever he wanted to guest direct/write an episode, rather than the pressure of having to film, write and practically edit every single thing himself. But I think it's unlikely Lynch/Frost ever put TP into other hands again, though I think it would be a smart move - if they had a small group of directors and writers they trusted, and full script/production approval. That way the show could continue on with their guidance, they could write/direct whenever they wanted, Lynch could make another TP movie. Best of all worlds. I just don't see it happening and I think also the fact that Lynch directed every second of The Return himself has made the fandom expect every future frame of TP be directed by Lynch or they'll automatically consider it not up to par. And Lynch/Frost might suspect this too.