Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

That’s a shame about Forster. An enormous talent, and it and seems like he was a genuinely nice guy by all accounts. He projected a rare combination of machismo and compassion. So glad we got to see him in both TP:TR and El Camino
Spoiler:
(in which he somewhat surprisingly has maybe the largest role after Aaron Paul and Jesse Plemons).
His deadpan straight-guy reaction shots in TP:TR made even the less-successful comedy scenes funnier by nature of his bewildered non-reactions. The man could do so much with so little. It would be interesting to have seen what his career would have looked like if he had played Truman on the original run of TP. Would he have had a resurgence a few years earlier? Would he have become typecast as lawmen?

It somehow never occurred to me that both Forster and Ontkean are in The Descendants. It’s too bad they never shared the screen in that movie so we could have seen the Truman brothers together! Wonder if they ever hung out on/off set.
TimeFlashes

Post by TimeFlashes »

bob_wooler wrote:Sorry about the lousy screen shot, but could Kyle be referencing the rumors here? naah
https://www.facebook.com/kylemaclachlan ... 1707071507
He is talking about a video game that was released recently.
Always a face to remind me.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

So sad. I’ve never seen BB except for the pilot. I’ll now have to watch the whole series plus El Camino.

I agree with Mr. Reindeer on Forster’s deadpan style. He got some criticism on these boards, but I can’t see any other actor playing the role of Frank Truman any better. IMO he carried the Wally Brando scene, which was my least favorite scene of the whole show except for Forster. But most importantly, he really performed well in the final showdown with Mr C at the Sheriffs station.

Rest In Peace Mr Forster.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

mtwentz wrote:So sad. I’ve never seen BB except for the pilot. I’ll now have to watch the whole series plus El Camino.
Don’t watch solely for Forster’s sake. He’s only in one episode of the show, and then the movie!
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

Forster's work in Jackie Brown is incredible. Such a wonderful actor.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Mr. Reindeer wrote: It somehow never occurred to me that both Forster and Ontkean are in The Descendants. It’s too bad they never shared the screen in that movie so we could have seen the Truman brothers together! Wonder if they ever hung out on/off set.
I thought I had also written about that a month or so ago in one of these threads when I was talking about how strange it was that Ontkean had zero lines in Descendants. I wrote about how surprised and happy I was to see both Truman brothers (and Matthew Lillard). I had totally forgot!

Like a lot of people here, I had finished El Camino and then heard the news. Very sad and surreal.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

I love him in Jackie Brown. I love him in general. Just watching him and Pam Grier have a morning cup of coffe, talking about getting older is the hottest love scene in years.

And yes, watch Breaking Bad. Easily the best one hour drama for me in entirety. They were making it up season to season and it is seamless and beautiful, a true hat trick. I loved Mad Men but hated the finale so it lost me. The Wire, amazing but a little shaken last season. And ironically, while I love Twin Peaks, it’s more for the aesthetics, best cast of characters and potential... I don’t the story is very good or tight past the first season (only parts).
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

That The Wire's last season jumps the shark is one of the biggest blunderings of popular opinion.
bob_wooler
RR Diner Member

Post by bob_wooler »

TimeFlashes wrote:
bob_wooler wrote:Sorry about the lousy screen shot, but could Kyle be referencing the rumors here? naah
https://www.facebook.com/kylemaclachlan ... 1707071507
He is talking about a video game that was released recently.
Oh, that's a shame.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Sad about Robert Forster. I really liked him in Season 3. And he was wonderful in Jackie Brown. Should've gotten the Oscar for that one.

I wonder if we'll get a tribute to him if they ever do Season 4. Speaking of which, it looks like Kimmy's comments effectively killed the rumour mill and the hype train - at least for now. There's been no more social media posts that could be read as teases - well, not really. And no more reports in the press or posts on reddit. So it seems to have gone quiet again, for now.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Audrey Horne wrote:I love him in Jackie Brown. I love him in general. Just watching him and Pam Grier have a morning cup of coffe, talking about getting older is the hottest love scene in years.

And yes, watch Breaking Bad. Easily the best one hour drama for me in entirety. They were making it up season to season and it is seamless and beautiful, a true hat trick. I loved Mad Men but hated the finale so it lost me. The Wire, amazing but a little shaken last season. And ironically, while I love Twin Peaks, it’s more for the aesthetics, best cast of characters and potential... I don’t the story is very good or tight past the first season (only parts).
I also remember Lynch saying that he likes Breaking Bad
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

From a new interview Kyle did with DailyBeast:

I do dutifully ask him the lame Twin Peaks questions. Will there be another season? “I don’t think very likely, but never say never.” Would he want to do one another? “Yes, immediately. I would.”
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

^- https://www.thedailybeast.com/kyle-macl ... aton-laugh

Meh.. losing my faith here. If even Kyle wouldn't know, I'm beginning to have serious doubts.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I wonder why he doesn't think it's very likely? Not even in regards to the recent rumours, but I mean more Twin Peaks (season or movie) at some stage.

Is it because of Showtime and ratings? Then the project could be taken elsewhere - CBS, Netflix, etc.

The franchise is popular. S3 may not have had major ratings, but they had decent enough when streaming was taken into account. There's tons of boxsets released and forthcoming, soundtracks. It was critically acclaimed. So it's a very popular IP all in all.

Is it because Lynch is getting older? He's 73. His father lived to 92. He could still be in good health and live for many years.

A lot of the other cast is getting older, but Kyle is still only 60, Sheryl Lee is only 52. Many of the others are still relatively young.

Is it because Lynch and Frost don't want to do more? But they've both indicated they do. Frost had a lot of comments about it possibly leading to more after S3. Lynch has been a bit more ambiguous granted, fluctuating between saying that was the ending (end of S3) and that there's more to tell. But he did say more Carrie Page was calling to him and if there's another one, it could be 4 years (from the end of S3).

None of this makes it seem to me that more TP (at some stage) is unlikely. So I wonder why Kyle (and others) are saying this? It's not like we're back in the day where ABC cancelled the show and there was critical backlash to FWWM. The show is more popular and respected critically than ever, the creators have indicated there could be more stories to tell, etc.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

That's the second time since S3 has aired that MacLachlan's come out and expressed his explicit doubts with regards to any possible continuation(s) of the show (can't find the interview in which he stated that firstly, but I distinctly remember it). So I think the writing's on the wall here. Meanwhile, let's all head to the HHM Tweeter page to catch a pic of teenage Lynch lurking around on the Psycho set...