Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

SatisfactionJackson

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by SatisfactionJackson »

Today it was on RTL homepage. Wich is germany`s biggest private television channel

https://www.vip.de/cms/david-lynch-twin ... 16295.html

Headline means something like "Twin Peaks Season 4 will happen". Allthough they dont seem to have any knowledge of anything we all dont know yet
TwinsPeak
RR Diner Member

Post by TwinsPeak »

I don't know why no one pays attention to what Peyton wrote. But yeah for me if there is even an announcement I don't think it comes till 2020. No reason to announce anything before the boxset. This could just be about VR.... I hope there is another season but we have no evidence saying we do. And I think Frost is loving that we have to squirm for info.
"Wanting something to be different will not make it so." "Explaining a different rule is not complaining for months. A lie will never be true." - Dale Cooper: My Life, My Tapes.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Jonah wrote:I still have a few issues here and there and wish they'd expanded more on some of the strong TP scenes (such as those featuring Hawk visiting Sarah and things like that)
Great scene. That scene, in particular, made me feel as though I was watching a FWWM sequel film.
TwinsPeak wrote:I don't know why no one pays attention to what Peyton wrote.
I don't think he knew about it last time, so unless he's involved, there's no reason to think that they'd tell him about it this time. (Assuming that there's anything to tell.)
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

Jasper wrote:I don't think he knew about it last time, so unless he's involved, there's no reason to think that they'd tell him about it this time. (Assuming that there's anything to tell.)
He did, Peyton semi-confirmed that something was happening in the days before the official announcement of season 3.
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

eyeboogers wrote:
Jasper wrote:I don't think he knew about it last time, so unless he's involved, there's no reason to think that they'd tell him about it this time. (Assuming that there's anything to tell.)
He did, Peyton semi-confirmed that something was happening in the days before the official announcement of season 3.
For what it's worth, here's some of what Peyton said about a season 4. Note this quote is about two years old (from the 25 Years Later Site interview), and was given when the new series was still airing:

A potential fourth season and the rumor it’s being announced at Comic-Con: “I don’t know what the ratings are like. I don’t know if Showtime is thrilled, not thrilled and by the way, I don’t know if Mark and David would do another season. It certainly wouldn’t be announced at Comic-Con if they were, at least I don’t think. I think this has been a great experience for everyone and I hope that Showtime is happy. Maybe there is a fourth season to be had, but I don’t think that’s how it was planned originally. I think they always just planned to come back one time. I would be stunned if an announcement was made at Comic-Con. It would be awesome, but I sort of feel like I would know if that were the case. Anything’s possible. I didn’t even know about this (The Return) until Mark called me to tell me early on. This is the first time a show has come back like this and of course, they’ve done it differently and better than anyone else ever has. I’m a huge X-Files fan but they basically came back, were older and did the same thing. I think Mark and David really did find a way to both return to and reinvigorate the original franchise in a way that I do think is quite wonderful. Whether they want to come back and do more, who knows? A lot of that is about David, I think. He’s not a young man, and he has a lot of things on his plate so who knows if he would want to come back for a fourth season? It’s also up to Showtime, more than anyone else really. Quite frankly, I don’t know if this is the best thing that ever happened to them or the worst, speaking purely in terms of numbers. I actually do not have any idea how that’s going for them”.
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

One other thing about Peyton. In the 25 Years Later interview, he mentions in passing that Mark told him about the Return "early on."

I can't find it right now, but I seem to recall another interview he gave he said Mark kept it a secret and didn't confide in Harley about it until a day or so before CBS announced they had signed them for The Return. I think Harley said Mark wanted to give him a heads-up that "this time it's just going to be me and David."
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Just my initial thought- it made sense to give Harley a courtesy heads up about Season 3. You wouldn't want hard feelings because he learned Twin Peaks was moving on without him from Twitter or press releases.

But for Season 4, I don't think a courtesy call would be in order. So it's quite possible that Harley will know less about a potential Season 4 than he did for Season 3. At this point, Peyton knows he will not be involved again as long as Lynch and Frost are producing TP together.

His skepticism seems to be based on ratings. But I think as we've discussed here many times, ratings weren't necessarily Showtime's main motivation in taking on Season 3.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

I also get the sense that Peyton and Frost are still close friends. I recall Peyton saying that they speak almost daily, mostly about sports and politics.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I have no reason to think Peyton would be privy this time.

Lynch and Frost do things their own way. We'll know when we know.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

All these rumours got me to finally rewatch The Return. Just finished Part 18. Watched it all over the course of 3 days. Feeling much better about it then 2 years ago. How has it been 2 years already though? Feels like much less time has gone by. Maybe a year or less.

I hope we get some news about a Season 4 or another movie soon. I'm itching to learn more about Carrie Page and wherever they are in that final scene (some version of TP?), assuming there is still a "Twin Peaks" and the scream and lights going out at the end didn't mean Laura/Carrie, Dale/Richard, or someone else somewhere woke up.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

Peyton confirmed that the show was coming back mere days before the official announcement. If they're planning to announce it months from now, why would Peyton reveal it, if he is indeed in the know?

Besides, last time they announced it in October 2014 and at the time the negotiations had not been finalized. And then we all remember what happened. Maybe this time they want first to sign all the contracts and then come out and announce it. That is, if they're actually doing Season 4. Maybe all this is just nonsense and we are wasting our time, lol.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Speaking of contracts, we know the cast have signed NDAs that last ten years. But do you think any of them (such as Kyle) could also be contracted to future seasons if they shoot them?

I know when most actors sign up to TV shows they often have to sign initial contracts of 5 to 7 years. Not sure if this is different for cable shows (as opposed to network ones). And also not sure if this even applies to a "limited series" like TPTR. Would that just be treated more like a miniseries or movie or once-off event, so no future season stipulation in a contract?
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

I strongly feel someone's leading us on a wild goose chase here ... To ends known only to him.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Jonah wrote:Speaking of contracts, we know the cast have signed NDAs that last ten years. But do you think any of them (such as Kyle) could also be contracted to future seasons if they shoot them?

I know when most actors sign up to TV shows they often have to sign initial contracts of 5 to 7 years. Not sure if this is different for cable shows (as opposed to network ones). And also not sure if this even applies to a "limited series" like TPTR. Would that just be treated more like a miniseries or movie or once-off event, so no future season stipulation in a contract?
That's an interesting question. As an actor, I sure wouldn't want to be anchored to a future limited series that might or might not happen. It's one thing to be tied to a semi-regular gig like a TV series, but another thing to have your hands tied with little guarantee anything will come of it.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Agent Earle wrote:I strongly feel someone's leading us on a wild goose chase here ... To ends known only to him.
Why would they do that?
F*&^ you Gene Kelly