Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

bob_wooler
RR Diner Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by bob_wooler »

Rainwater wrote:Could be because they're friends?
Scenario: "We are friends. Let's have breakfast".
Meh. Must be something more to it than just that. Twin Peaks? Maybe not. But something.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

bob_wooler wrote:Can someone remind me why these guys had breakfast together in January 2018?

So they have plenty of coffee and wine, yet they're all sharing that one croissant. Hmmm.... What does it all mean?
Attachments
aaa.jpg
aaa.jpg (106.66 KiB) Viewed 7428 times
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Rainwater
RR Diner Member

Post by Rainwater »

You're right, there has to be something to it. Notice David is prominently displaying three of his fingers on the cup. Kyle's fingers are hidden. Also notice the symbol resembling an eye behind Laura Dern.

And that croissant! Now this is really something interesting to think about.
I'll see you in the trees
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

What about the promintently placed (and not very subtle) official-looking phone directly above Kyle's head? While he holds a coffee up to the camera and sits across from a smiling Laura Dern?

The mysterious phone even has an equally mysterious red light on it (indicating the Red Room of course).

Clearly, Kyle is not Kyle here. And he is not Dougie in this "scene", nor is he Bad Coop. He is clearly Dale here. And the phone symbolizes his previous relationship with Diane. But now in this scene we see Diane has escaped the confines of the phone from the original series, and her bad haircut and even badder attitude from TP:TR, and is in the real world, sitting across from him. I think this indicates they've entered some realm that is both before and beyond TP (the original and the return), into some sort of pseudo-Blue Velvet world that may (or may not) be connected to BV.

It's difficult to ascertain who - or even what - Lynch is portraying here. Likely it is Cole. But he may also be here as "The Director", symbolizing how this new story is both TP and yet not TP, both Blue Velvet and yet not BV.

Which brings me back to the single lone croissant placed on the table directly in front of the viewer. No matter where else you look in this bewitching photo, your eyes will always be drawn back to that single lone (lonely?) croissant and all that it represents.

For, it is within that croissant, that the secret to a new TP, all the interpretations of previous seasons of TP, and indeed BV, and maybe even the mystery of the entire universe, lies.

In that single croissant.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

The more I look at it, the more I see that there is much more to unpack in this mysterious photo. Notice the prominently placed (and framed!) photograph featuring people who's faces are blurred. Are these the other cast members yet to be revealed to us that will appear in the new TP?

And what about the machinery behind Laura Dern. Does this symbolize a return to the industrial stylings Lynch is known to have engaged in? Or does it perhaps - as the machine is scary and modern-looking - indicate a post-industrial shift for Lynch in the upcoming TP series?

As for the empty plates, much could be said about those. Is an empty plate placed in front of each character to represent how we are all empty plates, driven by hunger and consumption, waiitng to be filled? Does it symbolize that the people in this photo wear many faces - Kyle/Dale/Bad Coop/Dougie/Jeffrey, Laura/Diane/Sandy, Lynch/Cole? So much could be read into this.

And then there's the mysterious cell phone near (but not quite touching) Kyle/Dale's hand? Why is it here when there's a perfectly functioning phone on the wall above his head? Those the fact that there is two - TWO! - phones in this room mean anything. Does it represent the dualism of Kyle/Dale, the dualism of Diane, of Lynch, of us all?????

It is also worth noting that Kyle/Dale wears a gold watch and a gold wedding ring here. I'm not sure why it's worth noting, but it is. Perhaps it is like the gold ring we saw in the original series or the one in TP:TR. And the watch is a clear clue about the role of time at play here (as too could the length of Dern's hair). And Lynch is smiling, but is Cole smiling too?

Then there's the table and chairs. They look strangely vintage, yet also modern. They are reminiscent of BV, and of the diner in TP, and the diners in TP:TR. They clearly indicate a diner will be important.

Lynch is wearing a black shirt, not the typical white shirt he is known for. What does it mean? Is it more dualism? Is it about the themes of black and white, good and evil? Is it a reference to The Man in Black in Stephen King's The Stand? Or even to Lost? Or Westworld? Could it mean all of these things are connected?

And then there's the reflection of the light in the glass, much like a UFO. Will aliens be in the new season?

And, finally, let's not even get started on that garden hose (?) just barely glimpsed in the visible glass behind them - like a coiled snake, watching, waiting to pounce .... MUCH LIKE THE NEWS OF A NEW SEASON OF TP IS JUST WAITING TO BE UNVEILED.

*retreats with a yawn after all this necessary analysis*
Last edited by Jonah on Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:37 am, edited 5 times in total.
bob_wooler
RR Diner Member

Post by bob_wooler »

:lol:
I must say, Jonah, you got talent! I'm on the bus right now, cracking up. Thanks!
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

Rainwater wrote:You're right, there has to be something to it. Notice David is prominently displaying three of his fingers on the cup. Kyle's fingers are hidden. Also notice the symbol resembling an eye behind Laura Dern.

And that croissant! Now this is really something interesting to think about.
lmao
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
Saturn's child
RR Diner Member

Post by Saturn's child »

If you haven't seen it Jonah, you will probably enjoy John Blyth Barrymore talking about a three panel Garfield comic for an hour: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAh9oLs67Cw
:D
BGate
RR Diner Member

Post by BGate »

Agent Earle wrote:It saddens me to see such bad will and distrust (maybe even hostility?) directed towards O & A YouTube channel. Maybe these guys did like their jokes a bit too much back in the day and perhaps they did throw some of the rumors that came their way re: S3 into the ether a bit hastily, without checking their credibility, but I never took them for anything less than harmless, uberpassionate TP fans like those visiting this forum. The guy running it is hugely knowledgeable when it comes to all things TP and contributed some excellent analyses of its universe over time - he always has something meaningful to say about its many faces, themes, and topics. His channel has been going strong for years now and is one of the regular sources for me to get my TP talk fix, even when there's nothing happening (or seems like nothing's happening) - it's a wellcoming, pleasant place for any TP fan to wallow in his obssession. He hosted some interesting guests on the show over the years, like Jennifer Lynch and James Marshall, for instance. Plus he's currently in the process of bringing his very own TP related fan film to the screen, which some of the TP cast have endorsed in the process of gathering funds for the project.
If you think he's passing off a rumor that is literally fourth hand in good faith then I don't know what to tell you. I suppose it's possible that he's just a really gullible person, but as others here who have probably followed him more closely than I suggest, that seems unlikely.
Rhodes
RR Diner Member

Post by Rhodes »

All I know about Cameron is that he was crazy about Wild at Heart and Windom Earle and critical about Mulholland Drive and Inland Empire. I don't know if he's a troll (he definitely is very knowledgeable about TP), but his tastes are so bad (and I am not even taking his fan fiction project into account!) that I stopped listening to him a long time ago.
sneakydave
RR Diner Member

Post by sneakydave »

All I remember about Cameron and his podcast is him sneering at this forum and applauding when it shut down for a period of time over the spoilers debacle. This was despite every episode of his show at that time discussing at length all the spoilers he got from this place. I had watched his show a lot up until that point. Have barely looked at it since.
*M*A*Y*D*A*Y*
Exar Kun

Post by Exar Kun »

I wholeheartedly hope the rumors are false. Season 2's ending didn't felt like it was the end, and FWWM sort of ended Laura's story, however after that monolithic finale of the series you can't top that with any other stuff. Try to imagine an "ending" that has a more ending feeling than s3.... It literally felt like the end of the universe both literally and figuratively. It was perfect in every way.
TwinsPeak
RR Diner Member

Post by TwinsPeak »

I love the ending of season 3, but I totally want more seasons or movies...I never want it to end completely.

And I'm guessing Cameron's sources are this web site. He is probably sticking up for himself under another name.
"Wanting something to be different will not make it so." "Explaining a different rule is not complaining for months. A lie will never be true." - Dale Cooper: My Life, My Tapes.
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Post by Cappy »

Jonah wrote:Also, I'm going to be alone on this one (probably) but something else I'd be down for would be Showtime launching a new season (or seasons) and Lynch being in control of the first episode or "pilot" and filming that, then taking a back seat as an executive, with Mark Frost or others taking charge as showrunners, and Lynch frequently popping back up to write/direct other episodes. Much like the original run. I just feel that that's the only way a new season of TP could get on the air sooner (if Lynch just filmed one episode and a team was in charge of additional episodes).
I'd actually be happy with something along these lines, sort of like how they did Season 1 and the first third or so of Season 2. Maybe Lynch could direct the really important episodes and co-write a few scripts with Frost. I'd say he could even handpick or oversee any other directors on the show, but I don't know how involved with that he'd want to be. Obviously I'd prefer Lynch directing every ep, but that might not be feasible for any number of reasons.

I just wonder what directors out there could step in and direct an episode of Twin Peaks in 2019, especially on the heels of how wild Season 3 was. Off the top of my head I'm going to suggest Ana Lily Amirpour. The only work of hers I've seen is A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night (2014). It's probably the best looking black and white film I've seen in the last 10 or so years. I wouldn't explicitly call her Lynch-esque, but her visual style in this movie is reminiscent of Lynch in Eraserhead - long shots of the protagonists walking through drab industrial spaces. I think at the same time though, she has her own unique aesthetic to bring to Twin Peaks. Maybe someone like Ti West (House Of The Devil) would be good at blending the quiet ambience of rural life with the supernatural terror of the Black Lodge.

Lesli Linka Glatter did some of the best non-Lynch eps of the original series, maybe she could do another one in the hypothetical new season. I think the episode that Frost directed was very strong, but I just don't imagine him directing anything else at this point in time.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

I mean, let's be realistic here guys. Whatever happens (if it happens at all), Lynch will direct every single second of it.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.